Weight Loss Support - The Compliment Thread

View Full Version : The Compliment Thread

phantastica
07-17-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't know about you, but when someone compliments me on my weight loss I want to scream it to everybody from the mountaintops. I'd like to take an opportunity to crow a little, to people who will understand how great these comments feel, and how validating they are to those of us (all of us?) who have a skewed body image and who don't see our own weight loss.

Last Friday, from a (male) coworker: "Have you lost weight? Congratulations!"
Last Friday, from my best friend's husband: "Hey, you look skinny!"
Last Saturday, from my step-mother and sister: "You're skinny!"

Skinny? I laughed. Not skinny, but a defined waist, perhaps.

Share your compliments here!

sotypical
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM
I havent really had any yet but I just wanted to compliment you on some of the awesone threads you have started recently - and this is another great one!

Heather
07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Great thread!

My immediate coworkers all know about my weigh loss, but last week I was wearing a new shirt that looks particularly good, and one of my male coworkers stopped and said "It's really becoming obvious you've lost a lot of weight!"

I had to have a new ID taken at the gym, and the woman who took my picture said "You look great! You've lost a lot of weight"

And our friends last night, who are thinking they need to do something about their weight, told us multiple times how great hubby and I are looking!

97 pounds down and the compliments are coming fast and furious!

phantastica
07-17-2006, 05:05 PM
My immediate coworkers all know about my weigh loss, but last week I was wearing a new shirt that looks particularly good, and one of my male coworkers stopped and said "It's really becoming obvious you've lost a lot of weight!"

See, sometimes I think it's all in the shirt. :) I get compliments more often when I wear something form-fitting, something OTHER than my Standard Fat Uniform, black pants and a tent-shirt that hangs down to my hips.

I believe there's something validating about repeating and sharing compliments ... repeating it over a few times helps us to internalize it, kind of like affirmations.

phantastica
07-17-2006, 05:07 PM
I havent really had any yet but I just wanted to compliment you on some of the awesone threads you have started recently - and this is another great one!

:hug: Awww, thank you! I've been probably spending a lil' too much time here. :o

sotypical
07-17-2006, 05:10 PM
I spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time on here, I think I need to block this site when I am at work cuz I don't get any work done :o

la3y_un1c0rn_37
07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
<<<also spends to much time here....lol

Every one keep asking me 'how much more you going to lose' and then tell me that I dont need to go any lower....

Glory87
07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I had a great one last summer. I had finally bought some "fitted" clothes. I was around a size 10, but I was wearing a cute pair of Eddie Bauer brown linen pants in a size 8 and a white, short sleeved shirt (button down) - very crisp looking. One of my co-workers told me I looked glamorous, like Audrey Hepburn. Me...glamorous...Audrey...three words I never thought would be in the same sentence.

I've received quite a few compliments about my weight loss...but that one was special. Definitely one to press into the mental memory book and pull out every now and then.

northernbelle
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
One lady at the gym today told me she would kill for legs like mine.

mudbugs
07-17-2006, 07:07 PM
My son is 29 and the biggest "Sopranos" fan there is. Funny for a cop, isn't it?

So he told me the other day my face is "starting to remind him of Tony Soprano's wife". (Edie Falco).

I think that's a compliment...on one hand, he might be thinking my face is getting thinner & more defined, but on the other hand, he might be wishing he could lock me up for 20 years. :D

almostheaven
07-17-2006, 11:00 PM
My two favorites are the whistles I've gotten (from unknown sources in parking lots LOL), and the time my daughter looked at my picture and thought I was my scrawny (and I DO mean scrawny) cousin. I know I wasn't THAT thin, but close enough to be mistaken in a photo. LOL

lilybelle
07-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I caught a man looking down my shirt yesterday while I was putting gas in the gas can to mow the yard. Does this count?LOL

beforeim35
07-18-2006, 12:30 AM
A guy at work last week told me that I had done a lot to improve my appearance since I worked there. "You'll be on the cover of a magazine in three years." Of course my reaction was..."Three years?"

OneKim
07-18-2006, 06:34 AM
My hubby told me yesterday morning that I'm looking better now (just turned 29) than I have since I was in my early 20's!! A few hours later he was coming home with a bouquet of flowers and a card! Either I'm doin somethin right or he's done somethin wrong...lol.

Kim

Heather
07-18-2006, 09:36 AM
These are great! And Lily, that absolutely counts!

phantastica
07-18-2006, 10:47 AM
One of my co-workers told me I looked glamorous, like Audrey Hepburn. Me...glamorous...Audrey...three words I never thought would be in the same sentence.

I've received quite a few compliments about my weight loss...but that one was special. Definitely one to press into the mental memory book and pull out every now and then.

Absolutely! That would definitely be in my top five.

My favorite one recently was from a coworker who is a transplant from elsewhere: "You don't seem like you were born and raised here. You seem like you're from somewhere a little more cosmopolitan." :D

cemetarysiren25
07-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh do I love those compliments!! These are a couple of my favorites so far:
From my friend, Ryan, who I haven't seen since I lost the weight, "Wow! You're hot!"
From a male co-worker, "You're not allowed to look that beautiful in the morning".
From a male co-worker, "God, you're beautiful"
From a male friend, "Damn girl, you get skinnier and skinnier every time I see you!"
When I tell someone that I know NOW that I used to be fat and they refuse to believe me until I show them a picture! LOL

almostheaven
07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
When I tell someone that I know NOW that I used to be fat and they refuse to believe me until I show them a picture! LOL
Yup. I carry my before & after in my purse. :D

penpal
07-18-2006, 10:51 PM
The gals at Curves were asking me how much I'd lost the other day and when I told them I'd lost 36 lbs. they were all congratulating me and saying nice things about my appearance. My workout friend Sheila even said I was her 'hero' - I think she meant heroine! :lol: but I'll take it! Nobody has ever said that to me before and I've now got an incentive not to let them down by gaining the weight back.

These compliments were well-timed as I was feeling really down that day having gained 4 lbs. of water weight after a trip. The weight came off quickly, thank goodness. In another life, I would have just chucked in the towel and gone on a binge.

phantastica
07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd just purchased a good-quality pair of pants in a size 18 from a thrift store, but I needed to mend a hem on them. It took me a week or two to get to it, but I finally wore them to work today thinking they fit well.

A coworker asked me, "So, are those on the pile to go to the tailor's?" I said, "What?" and she pointed out that the legs are quite baggy. :)

TamiL
07-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Hubby noticed I have a waist and hipbones today, LOL I hadn't even found these yet.

Cardiomonster
07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
We recently hosted a three year celebration of my service project in my home community. They gathered together the three years of volunteers, plus all of the constant other supporters. I was a volunteer in years 2 & 3.

At the start of Year 2 I was my heaviest & frumpiest ever (265 pounds). So my second year group got to see me now in Year 3 at my current weight of 186 - with a shocking (to them) hot new haircut, good clothes, etc.

I got non-stop compliments for like 6 hours. I don't really remember one more compliment in particular than any of the others, but here are some of their words to describe how I look now: amazing, fantastic, like a new woman, sexy, good, great, hot, healthy & happy :D

I do remember the best comment though. As part of our presentation / celebration of the past three years, we had a slideshow of photos. One copy was sent to First Year affiliate in advance to create a book for our mentor. She knew me in years 2 and 3, so she wasn't as shocked as some of the others. But when she showed the photos to her boyfriend, she actually had to tell him that it was the same woman (me) in both sets of photos. And he didn't believe her! :lol3: That comment totally made my day.

All in all, a great day :goodvibes

mel67
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I caught a man looking down my shirt yesterday while I was putting gas in the gas can to mow the yard. Does this count?LOL

:D :D Or when they talk to your boobs lol! I had to tell a guy once, "hey, I'm up here!" :) :)

phantastica
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I love reading all these compliments! Thanks to everyone for posting them.

cemetarysiren25
07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
I JUST got one from one of the drivers here at work!
He said, "Damn girl, do you always look THAT good?!!" I said that I sure hope so! He replied, "You are tha bomb!!" LOL That made my morning!

idest
07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Yesterday I was wearing black pants and a black blazer with a crisp white linen shirt... and in the course of conversation a co-worker said, "of course you don't need to watch your weight... you're so tall and slim."

Ha! I would like to take this opportunity to thank the following co-conspirators:

The saleswoman at MaxMara who talked me into buying those amazingly well-tailored black pants (on sale, thank heavens!) and insisted that I have them hemmed long enough to wear with heels.

The three-inch heel sandals I was wearing

The wonderful slimming blazer I found at Marshalls.

And me, for losing 30 pounds since January. :)

BreakingFree
07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I get compliments more often when I wear something form-fitting...

YES! I have certain fitted clothes that, when I wear them, I get people asking me if or telling me that I'm losing weight! I actually would never have considered wearing anything at all clingy, even after losing weight, if it hadn't of been for a co-worker who told me a while back, "You're FINALLY wearing clothes that fit right!" This was after I got "adventurous" and wore a fitted knit shirt and less baggy pants. That comment made me really rethink how clothes are "supposed" to fit :p !

phantastica
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
See, I had a pile of clothing that sat down in the basement for weeks (probably months), waiting to be ironed. I finally bit the bullet and ironed them all, only to find out that half of them were waaaay too big! The shirts looked like maternity shirts on me and the pants were far too baggy in the legs. I wore them all this week anyway, figuring I'd wash them and donate or sell them on craigslist. Today, I wore one of the few shirts that wasn't way too big.

A female coworker of mine told me she liked my shirt, and said, "It looks good on you! It's one of the few shirts that's not way too baggy on you." :)

So the corollary to this story is ... try all your clothes on frequently! You never know when the too-small stuff will start fitting, and you never know when the other stuff will be simply too big.

almost there
07-28-2006, 12:33 AM
I loved everyones replies, its so great to hear compliments from others.
I went to work the other day with a pair of shorts on a fitting t-shirt (i am suppose to wear scrubs), and 1 of my clients said to me WOW, I DIDNT RECOGNIZE YOU, ITS A SHAME YOU HAVE TO WEAR THOSE SCRUBS, YOU ARE HIDING A NICE BODY. haha. Made me feel good anyways.
I can honestly also say that I am now a size 6 in pants and shorts (from a tight 14, should have been a 16 before but refused).
Congratulations on everybodies compliments.

Altari
07-28-2006, 04:29 AM
My husband pokes my belly periodically and says "Hmm...not so much fluff anymore." That's his version of a compliment. LoL.

I have men come into my store and make comments about how it's time the company got cute young girls to work there. One guy says he only still comes in because I'm the best eye candy in town. :o I guess a pretty face and a nice smile cover a multitude of sins!

And last, but definitely not least, are non-verbal compliments. The friend who stops short while we're talking, and gets a kind of sly look (or the best, goes pink).

It's taken me a looonggg time to accept that, yes, my face is d*** hawt. Big brown eyes, full red lips and gorgeous cheek bones. I just want to rest of my body to compliment me more often, because the more my body compliments me, the more other people will. I'm such a slut for attention. :dizzy:

phantastica
09-19-2006, 01:40 PM
My sister recently told me that my breasts were "dainty".

I went into the coffee shop this morning wearing my first-ever gogo boots with a skirt. The cute barista guy told me, "nice boots". :)

sharperTX
09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Oooo Can I add mine?!!!

okay, the other day, hubby and I were walking in public. Hubby knows alot of spanish, and he over heard 2 mexicans near us saying in spanish, how hot I looked. Hubby leaned over and told me that they were checking me out and saying nice things about me, I looked up at them and caught them looking!
LMAO!
Even though they were really old and nasty guys, I was still thrilled that they were checking me out! Is that wrong? LOL

lynard21
09-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I went to a cookout at a friend's house on Sunday and was wearing a black sleevless top and jeans. My friend said..."Wow, you really have lost weight!" I think I'll wear that top more often!

Lyn

pgray1229
09-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Week before Last Friday - MIL "You've lost weight haven't you?"
Last Thursday - DH's cousing "You're looking really good"

Even though I've only lost 6.5lbs, I guess people can tell!

YP1
09-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Mine is from someone I've just met, so it isn't about my weight loss, more about how I look now...

"you're so fit... no wonder you're such a beanpole"!

gettingsmaller
09-20-2006, 01:08 AM
I seen an old friend the other day (you know the skinny good looking friend that that hangs out with you to make herself look better, I was the fat friend) well any way she had gained at least 20 lbs. and I have lost 70 lbs., so we are about to meet in the middle. Anyway the look on her face was priceless. Not really a compliment but better. She did compliment me a told me I looked 10 years younger and her boyfriend told me I looked very young in the face.

ThinAgainBeginAgain
09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
LOL These posts, actually, this entire thread, totally made my day, and it strengthens my resolve to get rid of my 19 lbs, and get back to my healthy, thinner self.

The one compliment that stands out the most from my thin days (and makes me eager to get back there!) was this:

I came home one day from work, and trotted down my steep driveway in my pants, a fitted blouse, and my boots, and grabbed the mail. A neighbor beeped as he drove by, and, not being one to recognize people by their vehicles, I just waved, figuring I probably knew who it was.

A bit later, the phone rang, it was a male friend of ours who lives on the next street. He said: I just saw you outside getting your mail... I just wanted to call and say... TWO THUMBS UP!!!!

LOL!!! It was borderline inappropriate, but, I have to say, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face for days!!