Weight Loss Support - Goal Timeline

View Full Version : Goal Timeline

phantastica
07-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I have a few goals set out for myself, usually related to relevant areas of my life.

September - lose 20 pounds for a family wedding. (240 lbs by 9/9)
December - I'd like to be able to ask for size-16 clothes for Christmas presents!
February - Onederland for Valentine's Day, that would be a great one.
May - Within 10 pounds of goal weight by my birthday.

Does anybody else plan things out like this?
What does your timeline look like?
What events motivate you?

sierra_ttw
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
The only even that's really motivating me right now is Christmas in Mexico - I would LOVE to be able to wear a bikini and be at least 140 by then. I've really been struggling to get the weight off for the past couple months, so I'm not sure I can do it, but I'm certainly going to try.

sotypical
07-17-2006, 12:44 PM
I want to be 180 for my 21st Birthday (this Sunday).
170 would be nice for August 25 (boyfriend and I two year's together) but 175 is probably more reasonable.
By Christmas I would like to see 150 or less.
And before next summer I would like to be at my goal weight of 130. I don't even know what I look like at anything les then 170, so my goal weight could change when I get there.

I have joined many challenges around here to keep me on track - I never usually make them but at least I try!

Glory87
07-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I started in July. My only calendar motivation was Christmas - I was going to visit my mom and didn't want her to see how heavy I was. I had no specific goal, I just wanted to lose weight by Christmas.

The scale is cruel and fickle, normally, I think it would be better to base goals around things you definitely can control - like how many vegetables you eat a day or how many times a week you exercise. Tying specific weight goals to specific dates can lead to frustration since the scale sometimes doesn't say what you want even when you are absolutely perfect and on plan.

In my experience, weight loss also started to significantly slow down the closer I got to my goal. That's something to keep in mind, how to stay motivated when the scale stops rewarding you every week.

Glory87
07-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Sotypical, can you change your tickers? You are stretching all the threads you post in. I hate scrolling side to side :(

phantastica
07-17-2006, 12:51 PM
The scale is cruel and fickle, normally, I think it would be better to base goals around things you definitely can control - like how many vegetables you eat a day or how many times a week you exercise. Tying specific weight goals to specific dates can lead to frustration since the scale sometimes doesn't say what you want even when you are absolutely perfect and on plan.

In my experience, weight loss also started to significantly slow down the closer I got to my goal. That's something to keep in mind, how to stay motivated when the scale stops rewarding you every week.

Good point, and very true. I've stated mine in a timeframe that's easily attainable, as I am comfortable in 18s right now, so 16s by Christmas seems like a fairly attainable goal.

Heather
07-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Like Glory, I don't set timelines for my goals, mostly because the scale is :devil: and doesn't necessarily give the whole picture about what's happening. Weight loss is not linear, and plateaus seem to be part of weight loss for many people, even when they are doing everything right.

So, to avoid some of the frustrations associated with the scale not moving at the pace I would like, I have tried to shift the focus away from the scale and more toward the behaviors I can control, like how much exercise I get or how many days I eat all my fruits and veggies...

Don't get me wrong, I sing and shout when the scale does what I want, but I am more and more calm when it does not.

sotypical
07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Glory87 - I can change them, but they load fine on my screen... whats happening? want me to delete them?

sotypical
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
wyllenn - WELCOME TO ONDERLAND! I have been watching your sig closing waiting for it to change, but I guess I missed it. CONGRATS!!!

sotypical
07-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Glory - they should be better now! I have been using a mac and they were loading fine, but I loaded it up on my windows box and saw what was happening - look okay now?

Glory87
07-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, thanks Courtnie :)

Glory87
07-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Good point, and very true. I've stated mine in a timeframe that's easily attainable, as I am comfortable in 18s right now, so 16s by Christmas seems like a fairly attainable goal.

Yeah, it definitely sounds reasonable :) I went from a tight 18 in July to a comfy size 14 by Christmas! I didn't realize you were in 18s now, the differences in people's bodies are so interesting. I was a tight 18 at 200 lbs!

phantastica
07-17-2006, 01:30 PM
I didn't realize you were in 18s now, the differences in people's bodies are so interesting. I was a tight 18 at 200 lbs!

Yeah, body shapes make a huge difference. I'm 5'11" with a large frame, so much of my weight is taken up with bone and height. Oh, and I'm more top-heavy than I am bottom-heavy, so the 18 is in reference to pants. Tops are usually an 18 or 20. Also, some people can drop a size after 15 pounds, but it takes me probably 20 pounds or maybe more to change sizes.

Heather
07-17-2006, 01:33 PM
wyllenn - WELCOME TO ONDERLAND! I have been watching your sig closing waiting for it to change, but I guess I missed it. CONGRATS!!!

Thanks, Courtnie!! It's not Wonderland (all my problems didn't disappear!), but it is Wonderful in Onederland!

sotypical
07-17-2006, 01:37 PM
wyllenn - of course, if only they disipeared that easy. But it is very nice to see anything that stars with a 1 no matter what it ends in! lol And 3 pounds away from 100 pounds lost, you must be on top of the world! You really are a HUGE inspiration to me!

Heather
07-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes, I am feeling all strong and energetic and really seeing how much of a difference the weight has made.... both in terms of my size and what I can DO... I feel like a new person, and I'm still "obese"!

sotypical
07-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I thought about changing my goal weight to 115 (or even 120 cuz I was 220 at one point) just so I could say that I have lost 100 pounds! But I think that would be too small for me!

Glory87
07-17-2006, 01:48 PM
You just never know. My original goal weight was 150. I ended up 127! There was a cool link someone posted a couple of months ago that showed how people posted a higher goal weight when they were heavier vs. when they were closer to their ideal weight. I might see if I can dig up the link, it was really interesting.

sotypical
07-17-2006, 02:02 PM
I have a feeling I might change mine, once I get closer, at 170 I wear a size 13ish - I would like to be a size 4/5 - I dont wanna be too skinny. But again, that could change once I get closer! haha

I just think it would be so amazing to say, "I have lost 100 pounds!" I think that would be a huge accomplishment in life!

Sunnigummi
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, let's see. I tried to not set any goals so I wouldn't get stressed about it but my first goal is to get below 160 (even 159 would be awesome) by September 1st.

By Christmas, 150.

By May of next year, 140. May 2007 would be a year from my start date so I would like to have made goal by that time and then some. Sigh. I'm thinking I might have to lose more than 145 to look un-flabby.

sotypical
07-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Sunnigummi - you are only 14 pounds away from your Christmas goal! I think you can totally do it! I am 32 pounds away... maybe I am pushing it :(

I want to lose another 52ish for now, I think I should be able to do that in 10 months... I hope anyway. I guess that is 5 pounds a month and that is a lot (I seem to lose about that now, and I guess it only slows down!)

Sunnigummi
07-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Awww Courtnie, thanks for the encouragement! I'm hoping I can get through 14 lbs because it's getting SUPER slow right now, which would be understandable if I was oh say 5-6 lbs from goal but I'm 19 lbs away so I should be relatively fast still. Oh well. I'll just keep chugging, like glory did! :)

If you're losing 5 lbs a month right now, that's GREAT! You CAN DO it!!!! :D

sotypical
07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
I know, but if I am losing 5 pounds a month now... it is only going to slow down!

Heather
07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
You just never know. My original goal weight was 150. I ended up 127! There was a cool link someone posted a couple of months ago that showed how people posted a higher goal weight when they were heavier vs. when they were closer to their ideal weight. I might see if I can dig up the link, it was really interesting.

That sounds interesting!

Starting at 300 pounds, I at first couldn't even SET a long term goal. Then, I finally started thinking about getitng to 199 and then to 179 (which is NON-obesity for me).

Now that I'm closer, I still don't know what I want my final goal to be. I've been obese just about my entire adult life (since 19), and overweight since forever. I just don't know what a non-obese me is like -- though I can't wait to find out! So, I'm just going to see how it goes. I might try to assess further once I get to the 170s... I figure even if I stay there, I'd be 120 pounds lighter than I started, and eating better and exercising more, so that's gotta be better!

Now of course, there are some of you STARTING at the 170s (or lower), so of course your goals will be lower!

BlueToBlue
07-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I am terrified of failure and the way I compensate for this is by not setting goals, especially not goals with deadlines associated with them. When I started, my original goal was just to be healthier--even if all I did was exercise a few times a week, how could I fail at that? Then I eventually decided on a goal of 130 pounds, but with no deadline associated with it (my goal was to get to 130 pounds whether it to six months or six years). It does seem like I lost weight slower than a lot of folks. Looking back at my weight logs, it looks like I was at 150 in early Nov and didn't get down to 130 until mid-April, so I lost less than a pound per week (and I think I may have reduced my calories before I started logging my weight). I don't know if this is because of the weight I started at, because there is something else unique about me, or because I didn't set a goal with a timeline (maybe I would have pushed myself more if I'd had that timeline). But I wouldn't do it any differently if I were doing it today and I still don't set goals with deadlines.

Once I got close to 130 pounds I was feeling a lot more confident about my ability to lose weight, so I dropped my goal down to 120 (but again, with no deadline). Then I got over-confident and dropped it again to 115. I'm now at just about 120 and thinking that I'm going to stop focusing on the scale for a while. I'm not sure I'll get to 115 or that I need to get to 115. So I'm now focusing on toning. And I don't really have any specific goals there in terms of inches, I just want my stomach, hips, and thighs to look a little firmer.

I don't think I'm going to have a day where I reach my goal and suddenly switch to maintenance mode. Instead, I expect that I will gradually move into maintenance over the next year or so.

- Barbara

sotypical
07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
I can't wait to see 170 again - I thought I looked pretty good at 170.
An old pic of me around 170 http://saltypickles.com/me/meagain.jpg

I was always proud of this pic:
http://saltypickles.com/me/prom_group1.jpg
That's me at 174 and my friend at 130 (according to her, she was much smaller then me in the top) - but we are wearing the same dress in the same size! haha

kateful
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm not making date goals anymore. I've been in a lot of challenges on various boards. When I see that I'm not going to reach a goal, I get discouraged and quit and binge. So, no goal dates for me.

Heather
07-17-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't think I'm going to have a day where I reach my goal and suddenly switch to maintenance mode. Instead, I expect that I will gradually move into maintenance over the next year or so.

Exactly. I'm trying to THINK like a maintainer NOW. I don't want to hit maintanence and gain it all back because I haven't figured out what to do. I expect my maintainence behaviors will look pretty much like my losing behaviors... same kinds of food, continued exercise... except that I will allow myself perhaps a few extra indulgences from time to time...

And given your starting weight, taki that time to lose that weight sounds so completely reasonable! I would bet that you'll keep it off too -- just keep on keeping on!

sotypical
07-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I do my best to act like a maintainer now. In the sense that I don't just eat veggies all day so the weight comes on faster. If I want a piece of cake or a hambuger I have it - I don't freak out if I go over calories a bit (I do if I got over by alot and more then 1 day a week). But I figure I have to eat the way I want to eat for the rest of my life. No sense depriving myself of that cake now because I will eventually want some cake and eat it.

I always just think, how can I eat for the rest of my life. And that is how I try and do it. Lots of people say 'white' carbs are bad... like white rice is bad, but I hate brown so I eat white rice anyway. That sort of thing, I don't eat it often, maybe twice a month. I also had the odd white begal. I am doing the best I can, and it is working - even if it is not as fast as other people on the boards. :)

I am not 100% healthy, far from it - but I am healther then I was 6 months ago!

Glory87
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
That sounds interesting!!

Here is the link:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Here is the original thread where we talked about it:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82938&highlight=goal+weight+ideal

The calculator has two sections.

The first section is what OTHER people the same weight as you think their ideal weight should be.

The second section below lists the medical recommendations for weight for someone of your age, height and gender.

I plugged in my high weight of 195 and other people at that weight thought that a good goal was 155 (150 was MY original goal weight!).

Then, I entered my current weight of 127 and people at my current weight have an ideal goal of 128. Just how interesting how current weight influences ideal weight goals!

mel67
07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah, it definitely sounds reasonable :) I went from a tight 18 in July to a comfy size 14 by Christmas! I didn't realize you were in 18s now, the differences in people's bodies are so interesting. I was a tight 18 at 200 lbs!

Yep, it never ceases to amaze me. At 200, I was a tight 16.

sotypical
07-17-2006, 04:34 PM
For me, it says people my weight want to be 136 and I should be between 104 - 137 lb and people at 130 want to be 116. haha

lilybelle
07-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Since hitting my goal almost 2 weeks ago, my timeline goal is to be at this same weight or a few lbs. lower the same time next year.

Heather
07-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks Glory! I played around with it a bit and found that at my starting weight and height, people at that weight chose 191 (not far from where I am now!).

People who weigh 198 chose 153 pounds, and people who are 153 chose 135, and the people who weighed 135 chose 127. The people who weighed 127 chose 124 ... and then it seemed to be that finally there people were "satisfied" with their weight.

I find the psychological implications really interesting. And it shows how so many women feel they need to lose weight, even those within "normal" ranges. Lots of us are unsatisfied with our weight, huh?

lilybelle
07-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks Glory for the link. When I put in my starting weight of 234, it said people think I should weigh 173. But, when I put in 143 lbs. it said people think I should weigh 136. That is interesting. I set my goal according to what would be in the middle of a "normal" BMI range for my height. I still feel like I could use to lose a few more lbs. from my tummy area but I am not going to push myself. If it happens slowly , I will be happy. Mainly I will just be thrilled to learn how to eat healthy, exercise regularly and maintain what I have lost.

Heather
07-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Mainly I will just be thrilled to learn how to eat healthy, exercise regularly and maintain what I have lost.

ditto!

Jayde
07-18-2006, 07:14 AM
My timeline goals:

On my 1st year anniversary for joining 3FC I want to be able to write a goal thread that states

1. I am eating well.
2. I am exercising regularly.
3. I have continuosly posted at 3FC all year.
4. I am at the weight I am now... or less. NOT more.

I absolutely cannot set a timeline for pounds gone. And though I have a goal of 170 I don't want to say when. This is because I know I will sabatoge myself. If I say 170 by ? date my mind will start playing tricks...."You've got plenty of time.. have some more cheesecake!"

I know that if I stick to the first three goals all year the 4th goal will happen.. and probably with better results than I expected.

Heather
07-18-2006, 08:35 AM
I absolutely cannot set a timeline for pounds gone. And though I have a goal of 170 I don't want to say when. This is because I know I will sabatoge myself. If I say 170 by ? date my mind will start playing tricks...."You've got plenty of time.. have some more cheesecake!"

I'd always thought of setting timelines sabotaging at the deadline or the time when you realize you can't make the goal. But I think you're absolutely right, for some people, the psychological impact of a deadline may make you think, "don't worry, plenty of time," whether that's true or not...

TamiL
07-18-2006, 09:23 AM
My timeline goals:

150 by November 2nd, 2006 (My 42nd birthday, hmm funny I said this last year and the year before, etc.......this year I will make it thanks to 3FC!!!)
135 or so by April 28, 2007.....my one year anniversary of this new lifestyle.

As for fitting in clothes, thats always interesting. I'd like to say I was wearing a tight 18 at 200 pounds but I don't think that was the case, I only wore these stretchy jeans in the last few years that just said XL!!! At around 185 I was shoe horning myself into a 14, LOL and now at 168 I can comfortably wear all my 14's and some 12's. Hopefully at 150 I will be close to wearing a 10 but it will be a tight fit I'm sure.

One thing I have noticed is my figure isn't what it used to be. I now have more fat around the middle and less around the thighs. It used to be my jeans were always lose in the middle and tough to fit in the hips and thighs, now its the opposite so moving down a size takes longer. Unfortunately I haven't been able to lose anything around my breasts. They just stick out even more and make me self consious. My 23 year old daughter thinks I should wear more form fitting shirts to show off my improving figure but I just can't part with the big Tshirts yet (and she is an F cup size at 135 pounds and 5'1"). Hopefully I'll be able to become a bit less modest soon!!!

phantastica
07-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Here's another: The average (American) football linebacker weighs 250. I'd like to weigh less than that once football season starts. :D That's just six pounds away.

I'd like to state that most of my goals are easily obtainable (drop seven pounds by fall, drop one clothing size by Christmas), so even if I do "oops" I can still get back on track. I've been losing more slowly lately and I'd like to kick it up a notch, so I hope this timeline helps me.

Jayde
07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Here's another: The average (American) football linebacker weighs 250. I'd like to weigh less than that once football season starts. :D That's just six pounds away.

I'd like to state that most of my goals are easily obtainable (drop seven pounds by fall, drop one clothing size by Christmas), so even if I do "oops" I can still get back on track. I've been losing more slowly lately and I'd like to kick it up a notch, so I hope this timeline helps me.

Phantastica.. I absolutely agree that you should be able to drop seven pounds of FAT by fall.. but the scale alone might not show that.

I haven't lost a tremendous amount of mass since joining 3FC.. the scale shows 197 today. That's only 16 pounds.. yet my jeans are looser and my bra used to be hooked on the last hook.. now it is on the first. Looking in the mirror and comparing with pics taken only a few months ago.. there is tremendous change. I wonder about the beautiful changes inside too.. that I can't see.

It really depends upon your body composition if the scale will cooperate and show you what you want. I know you already know this.. I just want to throw it out there.

phantastica
08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
I did it! I now officially weigh less than the average (American) football linebacker! I weighed in at 248.5 last night. :carrot: :carrot:

Glory87
08-08-2006, 11:03 AM
That is so awesome!!! Congrats on meeting your goal :) Time for a pedicure or something to splurge on! New sandals? Should be some good sales right now!

start8
08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Sotypical...just came across this thread and I noticed we were the same height and judging from your pictures very similar builds (and same age range-I'm 26).I was at your same weight this time last year and I got to 151 by Christmas (including three big off weekends-labor day in NYC, my B-day in September, and a weekend in Kansas City for the OU/Kansas football game and a whole week off for Thanksgiving) so I definitely think you can make it!

I got to about 135 at the end of May and it's taken me 2 months to lose the last 4 pounds (although I moved during this time and took a couple vacations so I haven't been super clean but I'm thinking of the last 10-15 pounds as a learning experience for maintenance).

My original goal was 140 but once I hit that I revised to what I really wanted but seemed too overwhelming when I was at 198. Good luck.

BreakingFree
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Congrats, phantastica!

TamiL
08-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Way to go phantastica!!!!!

penpal
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I would like to reach my goal weight of 145 lbs. by my 60th birthday in August 2009.

I think this is very do-able as I have lost 36 lbs. over the past 2-1/2 years and haven't gained any back in that time (aside from one or two pound fluctuations). I feel much more relaxed about my weight loss now that I'm not trying to reach short-term goals.

c_laura
08-08-2006, 08:02 PM
I love making goals and timetables. My problem is that then I get stressed to complete them and even more stressed when they fly past me. I've recently decided to keep myself to healthy goals that don't involve weight at all. Like right now my short term goal is to loose two inches around my waist and hips by the end of September

Jayde
08-09-2006, 05:36 AM
FANTASTIC Phantastica! I am so happy for you! :hug: