Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - McDonald's Ice Cream

View Full Version : McDonald's Ice Cream

ILUVFOOD
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Hello Ladies-
Hope everyone had a great, on-plan, weekend! On Fri, me and my sis went to McDonalds for ice cream. I know I should have gotten a Fruit N Yogurt Parfait, but I got an ice cream cone. Now, according to the nutritional info on their site, it is supposed to have 150 calories. How accurate is this? And doesnt it depend on how much ice cream the serves swirls into the cone? Is their ice cream really healthy? But, it sure was good!

LLV
07-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Actually, the fruit and yogurt parfaits, if you get the original size, has almost as many calories as the ice cream sundae. Add granola you're getting a whole lot more. The little 5 ounce is around 160 calories, but if you get the big ones, you may as well just have ice cream.

Yes, the ice cream cones are 150 :)

MaryKate'sPillStash
07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, soft serve ice cream doesn't have a ton of calories in it. I get mad because my soy ice cream that I LOVE, and is way healthier, has 140 calories for half a cup.

Glory87
07-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Is their ice cream really healthy? But, it sure was good!

Not super healthy (ice cream cone has trans fats, but that's typical of packaged baked goods/crackers), but 150 calories for a treat would be okay for me!

Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream:
Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate. Contains milk ingredients.

Ice Cream Cone:
Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], folic acid), contains 2% or less of cornstarch, partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, sugar, salt, baking soda, annatto (for color), artificial flavor, soy lecithin. Contains wheat and soybean ingredients.

LLV
07-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't conside ANY ice cream "healthy", per se, as in it's not going to end up on the world's healthiest food list ;)

But who cares! Not everything we eat is going to be the perfect picture of health. We all need treats now then, right?

Right!

mandalinn82
07-17-2006, 05:47 PM
When I need a treat, a 150 cal McDonalds Cone always does it for me. No, its not the perfect choice, but if you're craving ice cream and a drive through is your option - hey, it ain't half bad.

I love them. I probably get one once a week or so, and they haven't slowed my weight loss in the slightest if I factor in the 150 cals into my day.

LLV
07-17-2006, 05:54 PM
When I need a treat, a 150 cal McDonalds Cone always does it for me. No, its not the perfect choice, but if you're craving ice cream and a drive through is your option - hey, it ain't half bad.

I love them. I probably get one once a week or so, and they haven't slowed my weight loss in the slightest if I factor in the 150 cals into my day.
I'm gonna have to try one of those, I've never had one.

Misti in Seattle
07-17-2006, 09:46 PM
The fruit and yogurt parfait is LOADED with sugar!!! FWIW :)

LLV
07-17-2006, 11:09 PM
So is ice cream.

We can't avoid little treats all of our lives just because of the evils of sugar.

Moderation is the key.

angel-eyes
07-17-2006, 11:22 PM
The McDonald's icecream is probably similar to the Dairy Queen small soft serve cone. When I'm in need of an icecream while out with the boys.....I often get a small soft serve icecream without the cone. On WW's it is only 3pts.
Hey? it could be alot worse!!

LLV
07-17-2006, 11:26 PM
The McDonald's icecream is probably similar to the Dairy Queen small soft serve cone. When I'm in need of an icecream while out with the boys.....I often get a small soft serve icecream without the cone. On WW's it is only 3pts.
Hey? it could be alot worse!!
That's right ;)

LLV
07-17-2006, 11:31 PM
OMG!!!!!

I just went and checked out the nutrition info for the DQ Blizzards... anywhere from 600-700 calories in a SMALL. The larges are over 1000, lol.

The large choc. chip cookie dough blizzard is 1264 calories and 136 grams of sugar.

That's more calories than I eat in one whole day.

Genesis
07-18-2006, 12:06 AM
I have a weakness for McDonalds caramel sundae with nuts. I NEVER eat meals at McD's, but when I've got an ice cream craving, I drive through and get a caramel sundae!

Glory87
07-18-2006, 12:36 AM
OMG!!!!!

I just went and checked out the nutrition info for the DQ Blizzards... anywhere from 600-700 calories in a SMALL. The larges are over 1000, lol.

The large choc. chip cookie dough blizzard is 1264 calories and 136 grams of sugar.

That's more calories than I eat in one whole day.

If you really want to blow your mind, you should check out the nutritional information for some of the "healthy" smoothies and Jamba Juice. It's juice right! Gotta be good for you. Heh, no. A large banana berry is 650 calories! Although with peanut butter in the title, it shouldn't be a surprise, the Peanut Butter Moo'd had 1170 calories, 30 grams of fat and 192 carbs. Juice! The MUCH healthier option to ice cream - uh, not really!

Although, they have some new all fruit smoothies that are much better options.

Misti in Seattle
07-18-2006, 01:06 AM
We can't avoid little treats all of our lives just because of the evils of sugar.

Sure we can, insomuch as considering stuff filled with sugar as "little treats." :) Besides my point was that eating McDo's fruit and yogurt parfait as a way to avoid their ice cream is pointless, because it is just as bad.

LLV
07-18-2006, 10:01 AM
If you really want to blow your mind, you should check out the nutritional information for some of the "healthy" smoothies and Jamba Juice. It's juice right! Gotta be good for you. Heh, no. A large banana berry is 650 calories! Although with peanut butter in the title, it shouldn't be a surprise, the Peanut Butter Moo'd had 1170 calories, 30 grams of fat and 192 carbs. Juice! The MUCH healthier option to ice cream - uh, not really!
ACK!

LLV
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Sure we can, insomuch as considering stuff filled with sugar as "little treats." :) Besides my point was that eating McDo's fruit and yogurt parfait as a way to avoid their ice cream is pointless, because it is just as bad.
Yep, it is, even though they try and push is as 'healthy'.

But see, we know better. Knowledge is power ;)

TiffRidesAHarley
07-20-2006, 01:41 PM
McDonald's ice cream IS my treat. I have been eating 5-6 meals a day varying from 150-300 calories each meal. My daily calories range from 800-1500 per day. It keeps my metabolism guessing and my body is responding well. It doesn't think it is hungary because I feel like I am constantly eating. I am also making sure that I have over 27% of my calories to come from protein.

The McDonald's cone fits right in her for a snack for me. I think it is a lot more satifying than some of the other Reduced this and 0 this options out there. Everyone's body needs some fat, I just try to make sure my carbs, fat and protein has a good balance.

I have learned if I deprive myself, I fail. It is a lot easier to succeed if I don't feel like I am on a diet.

~Tiff

LLV
07-20-2006, 04:10 PM
I have learned if I deprive myself, I fail. It is a lot easier to succeed if I don't feel like I am on a diet.
Yep, you've got it nailed ;)

I don't believe in deprivation either. If I want a stinkin ice cream cone, then I'm gonna eat it.

I hate it when people see me with stuff like that and they'll say, "Should you be eating that?"

"Ummm, yes, I should."

You know? Just let me take care of my own body and don't worry about it. Sometimes even a few here have made comments about things I eat saying, "Oh, you really shouldn't eat things like that, it's full of preservatives and bad bad things!"

Tell ya what - you worry about what YOU eat and I'll worry about what *I* eat and everyone will be happy, lol.

TiffRidesAHarley
07-20-2006, 05:12 PM
lol, you hit it right on the nose. It is no ones business but your own. The people who are making these comments are doing your time for you on the eliptical machine are they? I posted in another forum what I eat on a typical day. Based on that days example, I could replace one of my snacks with Mc D's ice cream and even add hot fudge and still have everything I need for the day.

Deprivation is Starvation and I ain't into that!!!

LLV
07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Deprivation is Starvation and I ain't into that!!!
Here here! :cheers:

I eat healthy most of the time, but I still leave room for favorite foods that aren't so healthy. For example, we go out almost every Friday night. And every Friday night on my way home, I have to stop at Taco Bell and get my chicken soft tacos. I simply save calorie room for them that day.

TiffRidesAHarley
07-20-2006, 09:00 PM
mmm, Taco bell, sounds good to me. Yum

LLV
07-20-2006, 10:06 PM
mmm, Taco bell, sounds good to me. Yum
I'm a Taco Bell FANATIC.

A couple of my favorite things that I avoid for obvious reasons: the mexican pizza and the taco salad. However, there's a site I visit where I can 'customize' the TB items and know how many calories are in them. I've got them already entered into fitday.

Neat site that I hope is okay to post.

http://www.yum.com/nutrition/default.asp

Just click on the restaurant of your choice to the left and see the nutrition info for the items you choose. Every once in a very great while I'll go ahead and get the taco salad. But I get it without sour cream (I add my own fat-free sour cream at home) without cheese and without beans. Still quite a few calories, but omitting those items drastically cuts the fat and calories.

LLV
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
For example on the taco salad... the regular taco salad is 860 calories and 14 grams of saturated fat. With the way I order it it comes down to 570 calories and 9 grams of saturated fat. That's about half of my calorie allowance for a day. I eat anywhere between 1000-1200 calories. So when I crave that taco salad, I make the room.

I don't go without. And I've lost over 80 pounds doing it. So... it's all about balance and moderation ;)

HDStreetBob
07-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Dang! I admire you all! For me going to McD's is like an alcoholic going to an open- bar Irish wedding! HA HA HA!

The torture could not possibly be worth the ice cream- I really love skinny cows- removes the temptation. :)

TiffRidesAHarley
07-21-2006, 12:48 AM
I am not a big fast food eater, but if the mood strikes...I have a little. It is possible to make healthy choices at a Fast Food restaurant. Before we leave the house, I look up the restaurant on the internet and find out what they have and how much it is going to cost me calorie wise. I plan on what I am going to order, it makes it easier, so I won't give in to tempation. This summer, every Thursday I have been taking the kids garage saleing in the morning, Then we have a McDonalds picnic at the park. I always order the fruit and walnut salad. I give the walnuts to the kids and totally enjoy the fruit and yogurt. Since I am eating so often with my new "diet" I get full a lot sooner.

Misti in Seattle
07-21-2006, 12:59 AM
It is possible to make healthy choices at a Fast Food restaurant.

LOL read "Fast Food Nation" if you haven't already and you may be in for a few surprises about the "healthy" choices at fast food restaurants. :)

TiffRidesAHarley
07-21-2006, 01:15 AM
I have read up on it. The Fruit and walnut salad is great and fits right into my plan. Another thing I order at most places is a salad with chicken breast. If I use my own dressing, it is not BAD for you. I have even ordered a burger on occasion. I take the bun off and order it with only mustard. All of these things fit right into my plan. I have been losing what I consider to be rapidly and not depriving myself. I have lost my 29lbs in a little over 2 months. There are some things at most fast food joints that are good for you. Some you may need to modify a bit, but it all comes down to what you put in your mouth. I have 3 kids, Mc Donald's is a way of life, it cannot be avoided. I just handle it the best way possible and I am still seeing results. Like I said in my previous post, I plan what I am going to eat before I get there.

LLV
07-21-2006, 10:14 AM
We can make just as many 'bad' choices at home.

No, the so-called healthy foods in fast food places isn't really all that healthy. But even at home I could be doing a **** of a lot worse.

Again, MODERATION. Nobody is saying we should eat this stuff every day. But a grilled chicken salad is a heck of a lot better than a Big Mac and fries.

TiffRidesAHarley
07-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Exactly, besides, I make my own grilled chicken salad at home all the time. Gotta get that protein in!!

mel67
07-22-2006, 08:39 AM
So is ice cream.

Moderation is the key.

I absolutely agree. If those that choose to avoid sugar and treats forever can manage to do that, more power to them, that's great and prolly best in the long run. However, telling myself I'd never have treats or sugar again would be a death sentence to my diet.

TiffRidesAHarley
07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
If I could never have sugar or treats again, I would most certainly die!!! It's not like that is all a person eats, a little sugar isn't going to hurt you once in a while if you are eating healthy otherwise. By a little sugar, I don't mean a huge slab of cheesecake, I mean a scoop of vanilla ice cream or something else small.