Old 07-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #1  

Cool Question about heat tolerance

Hello--Happy summer-it sure is hot! And speaking of hot, I really feel like the extra weight has a enormous effect on how hot I feel and also constantly sweating.

Question for those that have lost/been losing---do you find that as the weight drops you can better tolerate the heat (not feel as hot) and are less "sweaty". I am really thinking this has got to be a welcome relief as the pounds melt away. Most of these summer days, even a little make-up can't be an option and 30 minutes after standing over the full force blowing A/C vent to make my hair have a little style, it is soaking wet like I just stepped out of the shower.

One other question---as you are losing/have lost weight do you feel less tired. How tired I feel all the time and if I let myself sleep how much I want to sleep has become a big concern. To sum it up I am hot and tired and hope as the pounds go away there will be improvement.

Thanks so much for your help!
lovemylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

YES!!!! Weight loss has had a HUGE affect on my heat tolerance. Actually, I have always tolerated the heat well (living in the steaming bread basket), but it was the embarrassment of profuse sweating that kept me out of the heat. And get this ~ today I drove (with no A/C) 30 miles in 99 degree heat and I did not break a sweat. I started my journey last summer and the difference is incredible. It's such a relief to not have to worry about it anymore.

And to answer your other question, I do have more energy, but that's all I can say because I have sleeping difficulties and I have wicked patterns that keep me tired a lot of the time
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:18 AM   #3  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for asking this question! This is the worst thing for me and would be my greatest reward if it does get better.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #4  

Losing 64lbs hasn't helped my heat tolerance. I still get fluid retention when it's very hot and humid. I still feel like I could melt when the temperature is over 30 degrees celsius (90F).

I do get less tired though! I think the exercise has helped with that!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Losing weight has definitely helped my heat tolerance... of course I still have a ways to go but it is just reality that being padded with all this fat is VERY hot!!

Also yes to the less exhausted, although I attribute this also to all the exercise I am doing. But lugging around all this extra weight IS exhausting!

I look forward to its continuing to get better. I will never "like" hot weather -- partly why I moved back to the PNW -- but am looking forward to being better able to tolerate it.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

For me the heat hasn't changed at all. I feel as difficult as soon as it hits the 90s. I tend to lock myself in the house when these temps hit ( I have 2 A/Cs). I can't stand the heat for two reasons: 1) I have asthma, so extreme heat and extreme cold leave me breathless...2) I retain so much water as soon as the heat starts getting me sweating, I swell up like a beach ball and it can take days before I'm back to normal.

I do feel more energy as the pounds fall but it's currently being drained at work, so right now I'm exhausted...LOL.

Today it's supposed to hit 46celcius with humidex..that's about 115 F...so you are sure that today is a day off of walking...LOL
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hubby and I have been talking about this all weekend. We have MUCH better tolerance for the heat!!! We don't necessarily love it, but can TOLERATE it so much better. Hubby in particular has not loved the heat, and he is starting to realize he doesn't have to dread 3 months a year. Course, come winter I suspect we'll be toooo cold, but that's another story...

Sweating though... I don't know that this has changed much for me. I never used to sweat much and now I think I sweat a little more.

Energy -- not only did exercise play a role, but I think that the type of food I'm eating really helped my energy. I used to nap nearly every day when I came home from work. Last summer before I'd lost much weight I started realizing my naps were not necessary -- I think it was because I ditched the fritos as an afternoon snack and started incorporating more fiber and protein Though it's hard to know exactly what caused that change...

And now that I'm down 95 pounds and exercising regularly, I really DO notice more energy!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #8  
Downsizing Dee!

I used to hate the heat - HATE it! I still find that I don't love it but I have much more tolerance for it now. Now not only do I have tolerance for it, I'm apt to carry a cardigan everywhere I go. Seems like the chills can set in at any time. There's a thread about this somewhere over in the Maintainers forum that might be worth the read.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #9  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
Hubby and I have been talking about this all weekend. We have MUCH better tolerance for the heat!!! We don't necessarily love it, but can TOLERATE it so much better. Hubby in particular has not loved the heat, and he is starting to realize he doesn't have to dread 3 months a year. Course, come winter I suspect we'll be toooo cold, but that's another story...
Wyllenn - You should count yourself lucky that you have ONLY 3 months of summer . I live in hot, humid Houston where summer extends from May thru October (at least) - 6 months !! In June, July & August, average temps are 90+ degrees with 90% humidity and even after living here for 20 years I am NOT used to it. I really envy those who are able to enjoy being outside in the summer (although our winters are pretty nice here ).

I'm not at goal but have noticed I can tolerate the heat a bit more. The biggest changes - I can wear long sleeves, even light sweaters, to work now and I don't break out in a sweat the minute I step out of the A/C.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #10  
Downsizing Dee!

OK I found the thread I was talking about

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...light=freezing

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't think I can tolerate the heat better or maybe I can. I am currently living somewhere that has the worst heat I've ever experienced though. The DC area isn't pretty during summer and I knew it ahead of time.

Also, I'll agree that losing weight also makes you colder until your body adjusts. When I first lost my initial weight, I was freezing all the time. I had gone from being warm all the time to being cold all the time. Within a year, my body adjusted though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #12  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I can definitely tolerate the heat better! I rarely sweat and do usually have more energy. I've been unable to exercise for a couple of weeks (post-op) and have found that I don't have as much energy. Hopefully, it will return once I'm able to get moving again!

Now, I'm less able to tolerate the A/C. I need to wear a sweater sometimes in the evenings cause DH keeps the A/C set on 70 degrees!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I hate the heat no matter how much I weight!! I prefer temps in the lower 50's and sweaters. We have had our two air conditioners on full blast since the beginning of last weekend and I am sick of it. Bring on the snow!!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Wyllenn - You should count yourself lucky that you have ONLY 3 months of summer .
so so true!!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #15  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I can stand the heat much better. I don't sweat nearly as much and in the house I often don't even have the central AC on because I can get so cold so easily, like Dee. It is currently 98 where I am and I sleep with no AC on at night and under 4 blankets.
Meanwhile, my family is dying of the heat.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote