Old 07-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #1  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

Lightbulb Project: Our own LAWL cookbook?

So I was going through the recipe thread, wading through the huge amount of comments posted there and realized that I had no idea where I even wanted to start.

I'm an innovative girl, and when I became mentally roadblocked by the sheer volume and mass disorganization, it got me thinking.

Here is my project idea: A 3FC LAWL Cookbook made for us, by us. We already have a plethora of recipes in the recipe thread, and a smattering of others scattered throughout the many other threads. We all have short cuts and tricks we use to make this diet easier. How nice would it be to have everything in an organized, searchable format?

Here is what I was thinking, and please chime in with your ideas and thoughts and questions:
*If you go through the COD, which many of us do not, you can buy the LAWL cookbook which has some pretty good recipes. But not everyone can purchase this or has access to it.
*We have a recipe thread here that is filled with random recipes and ideas
*How many of us are bone tired of coming up with new ideas for dinner or lunch and just want someone, anyone to give us a good and easy idea that we hadn't ever thought of?
*One of my favorite websites in the world is AllRecipes.com because you can read the recipes, see pictures of the prepared food and read comments by real people who have tried different alterations to the recipe which I then can incorporate.

I'm pretty creative and handy with the Do-It-Yourself stuff. I'd be willing to collect recipes, ideas, tips 'n' tricks, cooking preperations, even a listing of must-have kitchen items for people just getting started that could show up in the cookbook. I'd be willing to format the project and print them off and put them together in an easy to use and durable book form (the advantages of having the material and equipment to do this at my work) and then mail them out to anyone who wants one.

I have some ideas that could even make the books alterable; as in new pages can be printed everly 4 or 5 months and emailed or sent to everyone to add to their books when we collect new recipes and ideas, especially when the holidays arrive.

A friend of mine did something like this for her church and it looked very cool.

What do you guys think? Would anyone be interested in something like this? Putting it together would be the easy part, collecting recipes and ideas from all of you would be the only time consuming aspect so it would have to be a project that has genuine interest. What do you think?
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/214.6/135

Height: 5'2"

Sommer I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. I need recipes so that I can add variety and keep from getting bored with the food I am eating.

I am new here, this is my third day of LA so I will help however I can.

Linda
happycamper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Ive added recipes of mine to the thread in the past, I certainly am game...tell me what to do.
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #4  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Sommer - I think it's a great idea. BUT, I understand cookbooks can be a big pain in the butt. Have you ever checked out Aimee's Adventures (she's a WW person who has put together a couple books; I have one and it's really a good book, but they take her a LONG time to do! Plus, I think you should consider charging for the book. Why not! The LAWL book is $32 and I thought it sounded like a lot; for now I just check the 3FC website, but I agree with you that it's sort of all over the place. So, to make a long story longer, I'm ALL in for a 3FC LAWL book. I'm relatively new to the program, but could certainly contribute something!

FYI, if you want to look at Aimee's site (scroll down to see the cookbook) it's aimeesadventure.com
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #5  
Britt/LAWL~Red

I think it sounds like a great idea but like a big project. I will help out as much as possible but this is gonna be a busy semester for me so not sure how much i can do but hey let me know ill do what I can.
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

Sommer i think thats a great idea because a recipe book that we come up with will be mostly every day ingredients and it will be alot easier than it being a project to get all the ingredients for the LAWL cookbook recipes so let me know what i can do to help besides posting a recipe. I have the cookbook but many of the things on there i dont use.
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #7  
Princess Heather

Not to drag the idea down...but I would certainly be careful about using the LAWL recipies. I am sure they are copyrighted. I think it's a great idea..just don't want anyone getting into hot water for a good idea!
CandlePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:45 PM   #8  

I'm in!
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #9  

Just let me know what I can do to help. Sounds like a great idea.
kimpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #10  

Hi Sommer!! I think its a great idea -- even if one collects them and emails it out in a word document .. I'd be more than willing to help, but it would have to be in august -- we are in vacation mode right now and dont have the time, but in August we are home again.

Great idea!
Sue1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #11  
ON LAWL

S/C/G: 160/155/140

Height: 5'6''

I think that is a great idea. I know we all have our favorites. I would be more then willing to help out as well.

Let me know what I can do!
Krystal
klkoppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #12  
Back-on-track!

I know it sounds like a lot of work but my day job has me stuck in front of a computer for 8 hours a day watching a program and answering people's questions and making sure that patients in the hospital get to where they need to go. This actually has me at about 6 hours of the day twiddling my thumbs, reading, playing online or doing homework. It would actually be nice to have a project to work on while I wait for the day to pass.

Thanks for everyone's support! My idea wasn't really so much ripping off the LAWL cookbook (but I don't think you can actually copyright a recipe) in that my idea was that sure there are 100s of recipes you could dig through...but we all have our easy favorites or adjustments to the tried and true (how many of us are sick to death of tuna fish?)

Let me start thinking about and brainstorming how to go about putting the project together and getting things started. How fun!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

When considering something of this nature-you have to be really, really careful. Any of the recipes from any of the LAWL cookbooks, materials, etc. are copyrighted-and doing so here is in violation of some of the rules here at 3FC. There are also rules about selling/trading items using 3FC as the base as well.

Personally-I think that the safest bet is for those who want the LAWL cookbook/recipes-to try and find one cheaper on Ebay if they can, or to buy it from their center if they really want it.

Recipes made up by members themselves are welcome, but I believe are best served in a simple recipe thread. If changes need to be made-or anyone wants me to do something with the recipe threads or put up "stickys" on something or another-just let me know, and I will be glad to help.

We just can't have 3FC be the base around selling anything, trading anything, passing around copyrighted materials/information, and blah, blah, blah...I am sure you all understand.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #14  
Back-on-track!

Aphil- I didn't say anything about selling anything. I had no intention of money being part of anything. And it wasn't the trading of recipes from the LAWL cookbook, it was our own recipes that we love to use. Like we all have versions of things like tuna and chicken salad and things to make them tasty.

I just thought I'd clarify my idea. It has nothing to do with the buying and selling of anything and it had nothing to do with LAWL's products, but just a way to make it easier and more convenient to share this kind of info.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #15  
2BorNot2B...its up 2 me

Sommer - I think its a great idea. Several times I've said to myself we need to comb through all the old posts and get all the tips and hints people have gleaned from the CODs. It would be great to have that available at your finger tips. I would be willing to help out.

Beanie
mrsbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote