Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #1  

Default A really rude question

I think I am pregnant after trying for about a year. I am so overjoyed, but my one concern is my weight. I was trying to lose while trying to get pregnant without much success. As a matter of fact, I even gained a bit from when we first started trying because I think (partly) I was really discouraged and not thinking it was ever going to happen.

So, how much did you mommies weigh when you got pregnant? Have many of you had a great and healthy pregnancy at darn near 300 pounds?

Thanks for any info

Glenna
txchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #2  
No description available.

I have cared for several women close to or over 300 lbs. Some gained, some lost. The majority had healthy pregnancies and fabulous births, with only the usual problems of going past the due date. A couple had diabetes and/or preeclampsia and/or essential htn, but you have every possiblity of a fabulous pregnancy and a healthy outcome!

Congrats!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #3  
resident lactivist

1) Start: 252 End: 242 (most of which was water retention; was 219 a week after birth)
2) Start: 192 End: 212
3) Start: 182 End: 224

I had preeclampsia with my first & while technically being overweight raises your chances for that, it's also often one of those "first time mom" things. It hasn't returned in my subsequent pregnancies. I have always turned down the GD test (I don't like the unrealistic way it's done, but I'm odd enough that I turn down 99% of the tests--all I have done is the initial bloodwork & then the Group-B Strep test towards the end, & the last time I didn't even have that done).

Congratulations! You can certainly have a healthy pregnancy. Take care of yourself, and try to make each bite as healthy as you can manage. Walk for exercise when you can. I really recommend The Birth Book or The Pregnancy Book by William & Martha Sears; they're the only pregnancy books I know of that let on that you don't have to take each & every test. The Birth Book has a marvellous rundown of the tests, what they're supposed to do, and their drawbacks & advantages, & similar info on the various forms of pain management & relief that'll be available to you in labor.

Whatever else, the number one rule for a good pregnancy is: Ask questions of your care provider. Any question, no matter how small the issue. It's part of their job to answer stuff.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #4  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

I was 189 my first pg, ended at 246 (MAJOR SWELLING). I lost all my pregnancy weight by 9 mos postpartum probably due to nursing. This time I am going in at 170. I have a friend in your situation weight wise, and she LOST weight with both pregnancies. The first time she was just really sick all of the time, but the second time she was able to eat just fine. She was at least 20 lbs less on the day she gave birth than the day she got pregnant both times. This happened to a neighbor of ours as well. This may not happen to you, but who knows. Just make sure whatever you can/do eat packs a lot of nutrition per calorie.

On the testing...I'd turn do the AFP test at least. My friend had to go a couple of weeks thinking her daughter possibly had Downs...all that worry for nothing.
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #5  
susanb1960

S/C/G: not sure yet

Height: 5'7"

I had two pregnancies at 300 pounds or a little above. For the 1st one...I went 3 weeks past my due date and had to have an emergency c section when my daughter was in distress. The 2nd was 3 months early... I don't think either one was related to the weight...or maybe I'm naive and don't know. The 2nd was premature because I had a bladder infection that triggered labor...or that's what they think. I was very healthy for both...and didn't gain hardly ANY weight.

Good luck!!
susanb1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:59 PM   #6  

Thanks for the encouragement. I am just so worried about my weight and preclampsia and gestational diabetes (there are lots of diabetic men in my family and my cousin had gd). But hey, I've known skinny people that have gotten preclampsia too

My best friend always lost a little weight during her pregnancies. She was always a junk food junkie, but she ate perfectly when she was pregnant because she was really concerned about her babies. I just want a healthy self and baby, but a couple of pounds off wouldn't be bad either
txchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #7  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanb1960
I had two pregnancies at 300 pounds or a little above. For the 1st one...I went 3 weeks past my due date and had to have an emergency c section when my daughter was in distress. The 2nd was 3 months early... I don't think either one was related to the weight...or maybe I'm naive and don't know. The 2nd was premature because I had a bladder infection that triggered labor...or that's what they think. I was very healthy for both...and didn't gain hardly ANY weight.

Good luck!!
Me too! The antibiotics I took was what brought on full labour. I was a month early, and did the fast and furious birth scarying all of us. But he was a healthy 9 lb preemie. My family has huge babies...I was one of the smallest at 8 lbs 4 oz
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:48 AM   #8  

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Sorry can't give my tips for I haven't experienced it my self. Hope, soon I will, if my boyfriend proposes to me and we get married.

love,
la agua fresca
http://aguafresca.healthifica.com
aguafresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!!!!

All my PGs have been around 300 pounds. First one I was 292 when I found out I was PG. I lost a few pounds in the beginning and ended up delivering around 312. Had no complications in the PG. I did have to have a c-section but it was because she was posterior and wasn't engaging and her HR continued to drop with ctx.

My next PG I started at 317. I did develop GD with it but I went back to normal after delivery. I followed the low carb GD diet and lost down to under 300 but delivered around 304.

This time I was about 285 when I got PG (290 by doc's scales) and so far have gained about 6 pounds (lost 2 last appt.). I again have GD with this one but it's not too bad. I do get extra care and extra u/s.

I would do some research and don't let your provider tell you your weight is a problem (as midwife posted, it's not always a factor in how your PG will turn out.)
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I was 250 with my first and ended at 316. I had preeclampsia (sp?). But that can happen to anyone. I never tested positive to GD but my baby was 10lb 2oz and had to be born by c-section because my cervix wouldn't open all the way.

My second I was around 270 and ended around 307. It was good pregnancy but I had to test my blood all the time, i was borderline GD. I had another c-section because they said he was over 9lb. He was born 11lb 2oz.

This time I started at 272 and now I'm back up to 285 at 12weeks along. so I hope i don't gain to much. I have to watch my bloodsugars again. and will have to have another c-section, which I'm fine with as long as I don't go into labor before had. I did with the last one, a few days before the scheduled section.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am with Dairy Fairy on turning down the AFP testing. (Basically it is testing done in your second trimester, where they test for the possibility of some birth defects...) when I turned it down, the doctor (who I really like this time around) actually said "Good!" They don't do anythign but cause worry about something you couldn't change ANYWAY.

I do have the other testing, though-ultrasounds, gestational diabetes tests, etc. simply because I have issues with size of my babies, and with GD.

First pregnancy:
start: 160
end: 215 maybe right before delivery

Second pregnancy:
start: 155
end: around 215-220ish

This pregnancy:
start: 180-185ish

Unfortunately I was at 164-165 and maintaining it for over a year, but I had put on a few pounds right before I got pregnant during the holiday season, and due to stres because my husband had been relocated on my birthday (Oct 30) due to work, and he was lving in another place while I was trying to sell our home, etc. so we could move. He was only home a few days a month...and I guess that was all it took. We found out we were pg for sure on Christmas. )

End: I'll know shortly.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #12  

This is all very interesting. I had 10 kids and went up about 5lb each time. So I am 50lb over but also had to deal with prednisone. They were all healthy and ages 16 to almost 35. Had my last at 41 and nursed and not mensturating until almost 43. Went right into menopause. Now that was a nearly 10 year experience! Babies are wonderful!!!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #13  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

I was 180 prepreg #1 and only got down to 204 afterwards.

I started #2 at 212 and got down to 214. Got up to 221 total with that one (gained a lot less than with the first).

I had preg-induced hypertension (precursor for preeclampsia) and was on bed rest with #1. I weighed more with #2 and had no complications.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote