Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #1  
Friend to Little Doggies

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'1"

Default BFL for Women Challenge?

Hi.

I was wandering around the all-night "Shopatorium" feeling bummed and fat. I found a copy of Body for Life for Women and read it cover to cover. Now I'm all fired up about doing the 12 week challenge....

Is there a thread around somewhere where some of y'all are doing that? I'd love to sign on, but if not I'm doing it anyway, dangitt! I'm calling today Day One of 84. I'm starting a little half-baked because I don't have a weight bench or ball thingey, but I DID do 30 min of cardio and will get the other equipment I need this week [I have weights already].

Anyone to point me to a group? Thanks!

Diana
ChicCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

This is the group - you found us!! A few of us started in May, a couple more in June, and some of us just do it when we can. Personally, I have been doing the weights and cardio consistently from June 24. I have to still clean up my eating a bit.

Maybe you all who are following the BFL-W plan can check in here for Diana. I think alot of us do the lifestyle w/o necessarily being on the 12 week challenge or on a set schedule. For me it's going to be alot longer than 12 weeks, I want it to be my new lifestyle.

Welcome to the group! What's your cardio choice? I do treadmill mostly, elliptical on the rare occasion.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #3  
Friend to Little Doggies

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Many thanks for the welcome!

Since I tend to be the sort who likes charts and goals, I decided to follow the 12 week program in the book as closely as possible. It so happens that the 12 weeks ends on my first anniversary and that would be SO cool to be in better shape than when I got married!!!

That makes today Day 2. I did 30 min. on the exercise bike and the abs and lower body section in the book. It helped to have the History Channel on while I grunted it out

But NO WAY amd I gonna let my husband take a "Before" photo!!! Yikes! I have one I took with a mirror, it'll have to do...

Diana
ChicCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 179.8/169/120

OMG! I am doing the BFL challenge too!!! And, my specs are the same...5'1" currently 146lbs...oh my...I want to change sooo bad!

Nice to meet you all!
Sarah
SarahL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, I was one who started in June, and I was doing well, until well, I kinda of fell off the rails a little. I have seen results though, just not as spectacular as in the book - and frankly I wasn't looking for that, just a challenge that would help me build some good exercise habits especially. I'm back into the groove a little more, though my eating has been terrible this week. But that's life isn't it - pick yourself up and keep going! Welcome and enjoy!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #6  

I'm refocusing on August 1. More vacation time for me, big project at work over, and time to do something so that I won't be so miserable NEXT summer as I am this summer. I just spent the week in DC and between the headaches and my red/purple face all day, I thought I was going to have a bp-related incident. Not good at all. I need to be able to function in the heat and walk the streets without it impacting my physical condition so much - sheesh! Anyone wanna re-up for Aug/Sep/Oct? I also think it's good timing for the second challenge I'll have to do which will carry me thru the holiday/new year period: nov/dec/jan.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #7  

Okay, it's August 1! I am technically starting my 12 wk challenge in Sept 1 because that is the last 'official' challenge of the year. But, I think I am starting today with the eating part of it and the cardio/lifting part of it too..but, starting to journal on Monday because everything starts on Monday. Have I confused you enough? haha!!!

I weighed myself today and I was 145! Yay..that's a personal happy. I was up to 148ish...150ish...and now I am back down starting to go down down down!!! My doctor's goal for me is 120 by 12/21 when I next go in to see him. See, I have some health problems that will be remedied by some weightloss. I take medication for depression, severe migraines (and I mean SEVERE), bad GERD (reflux) and LPRN (reflux in the vocal cords) and hopefully some weightloss will remedy that. I hope so. It isn't so hard to eat well..but, the exercise is hard now..I have been so bogged down feeling...which is probably due to the conditions listed above :-) and I know in my mind that working out will help that...but, it is like a cycle, you know? You are too tired to do it, so you don't do it..and then you get more tired...lol. If I can just break the cycle, maybe the adrenaline will help me to keep it up?

Well, sorry for babbling so much...hope to meet some friends here...

-Sarah
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #8  
Mel

Sarah-
A lot of those health problems might be improved by cleaning up the kinds of food you eat while doing your challenge, too. I was amazed at how different I felt when I took wheat and added sugars out of my diet!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #9  

yeah, it excites me to possibly take myself (well, me and the doc) off all of my drugs! I feel like an addict..lol! Actually, I eat pretty healthy right now though. I eat a ton of fruit and veggies...and a lot of whole foods. I stay away from sugar (we eat only splenda, if needed) and I do not drink alcohol. My vice is coffee and I like creamy things...I am a weirdo who could eat a cheesecake...lol...with whipped cream on it! So, that's my downfall. I like protein...and veggies...so, this is a good lifestyle for me. I just need to balance healthy eating with working out..moving my bod!

Nice to meet everyone!
Sarah
Old 08-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #10  

Mel...I just re-read your post...you took all wheat out of your diet? Maybe that would help me. Do you have celiac disease? Did you remove anything with gluten too?

-Sarah
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/191/160

Height: 5'8"

I started yesterday I'd like to start a support type of journal on here, but I dont know where to put it yet. Here? Support? I dont know.

But anyways, Im doing good. I did some hardcore HIIT yesterday and almost fell off the elliptical! I did a moderate HIIT and an intense UPWO this morning.
I have been eating good and clean, I think. Part of my idea for a journal is for those in the know to comment on my meals. I am not taking any supplements, drinking any shakes or bars etc. so I have to make a ton of little meals. Im worried that they are too big.

anyways, so yea.. Ill be around here too

(I also consider myself on day 2 of 84 heh, I am counting down like that )
nymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #12  
Mel

Hi nymmy Welcome!

Sarah- I don't have Celiac's disease and didn't eliminate all gluten, just wheat. Bread and pastas, even whole wheat, are tremendous trigger foods for me. Over the years (I did my first BFL challenge in 2001) I've gradually added a bit back, but very rarely. I found that eliminating the combo of wheat-sugar-yeast (think pastries or bread) stopped all the heartburn I'd had for years.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #13  

Vanessa, go to fitday.com and start your food diary. You can elect to make your journal public, it will give you a link, and you can post it in your signature. Then every week or so, you can post and invite people to review your journal. We do it all the time here and the private trainers around here are great at giving good feedback on your eating. Welcome! Fran
Old 08-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/191/160

Height: 5'8"

hrbabe- I was thinking about taht. But part of my doing this BFL challenge is to do it without constantly checking my calories. I'd like to do one day once a week or something, just to make sure I am on track. I get soooo neurotic about my calories and then I binge badly.

Maybe Ill just make a post of it.. (here in this forum? is this the right place?) and ask for feedback
nymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #15  

Well guys..I'm starting TODAY! Yeah, dumb old me...read the challenges thing wrong..thought it said I had to do the challenge on Sept 1st...to be counted in the actual challenge through BFL...but, it said to start NO LATER THAN Sept 1st...so, lo and behold, I am starting TODAY Aug 7th!

LOL! I had a protein shake when I woke up..and then I just had spinach and egg whites with the kids. I am not used to eating egg...I was egged out on too many atkins and southbeach attempts...I got sick of eggs! But, my eggwhites and spinach is good...spinach is awesome at breakfast...too many people don't like it, but I love it!

I am sooo wanting to do a cardio today..I am used to doing cardio everyday..but, today, I will do strength training only (maybe a couple jumping jacks, lol)

I don't have my gym membership yet, that will come this Saturday..so, today I will do my resistance bands.

Talk to you later,
Sarah

12 Wk Goal #1: 120lbs (down 28lbs of fat and YEah baby, there is fat to be lost!)

12 Wk Goal #2: muscle definition...legs, abs, arms...no batwings!