Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/144/149

Height: 5'9

Unhappy Depressed now that the weight is gone

So...

Hey guys,

I'm not sure how busy this forum is but I havn't been here for a few years. Well, the good news is I've lost 106 pounds, my goal was actually 101 pounds but just recently I've changed it to a little lower because I want to be 139. The bad new is...now that this layer of fat is gone, I've no exuses, and that scares me. I used to blame the weight for everything from my career to happiness, and now that's it's gone, I feel like I have no direction. Anyway I just wanted to get that off my chest with people who might understand.
Thanks,
cheakymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/238/185

First, let me congradulate you on meeting your goal. I have not met mine but I know what you mean. What motivates me to go to the gym is to get rid of this weight. What will motivate me once I do get rid of it? It never ends. Good luck on your continued success.
channning102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

You have brought up a really, really good point. We only focus on the process and the result, and not the aftermath. We think that "once we lose the weight, EVERYTHING will be perfect". Hey, you've lost a FRIEND, a 106-lb companion who provided comfort, was always there, and took the blame for life's difficulties. You need to grieve this loss! I am serious, here. I felt EXACTLY the same way when I lost 50 of my lbs - I lost FOOD, my friend, companion, and my 50-lb excuse. Funnily enough, I felt the same way after I had Lasic eye surgery. For YEARS, I hid behind my glasses. I could rationalize my shyness at school and my difficulty making friends on my really, really thick glasses. Once I lost the need for my glasses, I fell into a HUGE depression, as I realized I had issues OTHER than my thick glasses to deal with. The same with my weight. If you are depressed, GET SOME COUNSELLING. The only weak thing you can do is NOT get help if you need it. What EVER you do, DON'T turn to food, your old friend. Sort out the underlying issues. Is this depression because you have actually succeeded? (i.e. fear of success). Is this because your post-weight-loss life hasn't met your expectations? Have you focused for so long on this goal that you have a void or lack of purpose? (i.e. this happens to olympic atheletes - once they reach the pinnacle of success, now what do I do?) With or without the weight, you will ALWAYS have difficulties if you don't root out the source of the depression. Best of luck, and please hook into this website for support whenever you need it.
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #4  

Freiyamaya- you really hit the nail on the head here. Everything you said just mirrored right back at me. I will call a few places today and see who I can get in to see.

Thanks again for listening and giving me your feedback.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

CONGRATULATIONS !! and back !!

I had lost 150 lbs in the past, kept it off for 10+ years.... I know how you feel, its like "the thrill is gone" now what? We get so used to one way that when things change we're lost.

Well, now its YOU time, time to enjoy, explore and make friends with the new you. Time to find out what turns you on besides food.....keep that as your main focus and you'll be okay.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Way to go, CheakyMonkey!
Hang in there! And keep us updated!
I know how hard it must have been to actually write, on a weight-LOSS forum, that reaching a goal does not equal automatic happiness. It is an important point for all of us to keep in mind - that the issues behind weight and weight loss don't magically go away.
Chin up, and keep us all updated!

Last edited by freiamaya; 07-12-2006 at 01:07 PM. Reason: i want a dancing carrot!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #7  

thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #8  

Height: 5 ft 5

congrats!! that is a huge feat. I think that you probably had very high expectations going into this weight loss journey, that once you lost weight life would be blissfully perfect. You focused so much energy on it you are probably thinking "ok, now what?"

You could refocus that energy into training for a marathon, taking up a hobby, etc.
phatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote