Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #1  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

Default How soon can I resume exercise?

How soon after delivery did you resume exercising? I just delivered my son last week but already feel completely normal (physically) and ready to get back into my routine, with some modifications (like no weight-lifting for a while). Is there any reason I should wait the full six weeks like all the books say?
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

I have never managed to wait six weeks. I have always resumed, at a much lower level, at about 2 weeks postpartum. The only thing I've avoided the whole 6 weeks was abdominal exercises (well, 8 weeks after my c-sections).

So: feel free to start out, but don't expect to be 100% at the outset. When I first had Esther, I could go maybe a quarter mile to a half mile before needing to stop, & before her I was walking 2 miles on a regular basis. Of course, if you were active throughout your pregnancy (I wasn't, for a variety of reasons), you will probably be able to do more. But I was surprised to discover how long the pelvic pain lasted after my vaginal birth. Months, really.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I didn't wait for my doc. When I felt up to it, I started back with a short and light jog and lots of walking...starting at about 3 weeks. Come checkup time, doc said I was ok to resume. I just didn't correct him. Hehe
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #4  
No description available.

Watch your bleeding. That is a good indicator. If you start bleeding more, you may be overdoing it.

Go slow. Spend most of your time cuddling and loving that precious newborn. This is an amazing time. Enjoy it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #5  

Why do they tell you to wait 6 weeks then? If I can try to do it before, I will try then.
Rakkoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It's a standard time to allow the body to heal, and to protect the doc until his checkup with you to insure everything's fine. We're not doctors, but if we use common sense, we should be able to know if something is wrong, if it just doesn't feel right, and know to stop exercising. Some people don't though.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #7  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

I got the go ahead to start. My OB does 2 week PP check-ups, as well as 6 week check-ups (the 2 week one he said is to see how I'm doing emotionally, which I think is awesome) and he gave me the go ahead to "start slow" and increase my activity as I felt ready.
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #8  

Bumping with a related question/request for clarification: How soon after delivery is combination walking/jogging really feasible? I'm not talking serious running, just regular brisk walking with an occasional 20-30 jogging strides thrown in.

(Mostly I'm concerned with how long it will take for my "insides" to stop, you know, sloshing around at any speed faster than a crawl... )
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #9  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Personally I feel worse if I do no exercise at all for six weeks than if I at least get out for a walk a few times a week. But yeah... like someone already said, watch your bleeding. If it gets heavier or you start passing clots, it means you are doing too much.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

They say six weeks, because that is when you checkup is. They don't want you to hurt yourself, and do something that you shouldn't be-so they use their visit as a guideline.

Your bleeding is definitely an indicator. While you are still bleeding heavily-I wouldn't do too much. (The first two weeks...) After that, I started slowly-with light walking. I added LIGHT weights, and starting doing LIGHT dancing at around 4 weeks pp. Then I slowly returned to normal after 6 weeks...

Your body is going through a lot postpartum-your uterus contracting and shrinking back down, the bleeding, your organs and everything shifting back into their normal positions, hormonal changes...a LOT is going on, so take it easy. Really listen to your body. Also, at this time-consider sleep a priority. If you have not had any rest all day/night, and the baby dozes off-then take a nap!!!! Make sure that you get some rest.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #11  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I would go to the mall and walk around there with my sil. Besides that, I just did my normal everyday activities - minus anything that would be jarring to my body. You will feel it if you've done to much.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuzi View Post
How soon after delivery did you resume exercising? I just delivered my son last week but already feel completely normal (physically) and ready to get back into my routine, with some modifications (like no weight-lifting for a while). Is there any reason I should wait the full six weeks like all the books say?
I started out walking at a little over a week. I walked for 15 minutes and evaluated how I felt. The next day I walked a bit more. The 3rd day I walked for 30 minutes and my bleeding increased so I rested for 2 days and started again.

I was jogging by 2 1/2 weeks (but I ran through 34 weeks pg) and back to full bore by 6 weeks.

Abdominals are the one area to be careful. Do isometric (tightening and holding) exercises for 6-8 weeks, no crunches or sit-ups until the muscles re-knit.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #13  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I just had my 3rd baby last week, and was just thinking about starting with some slow walks in the neighborhood. probably due to the speed of the delivery and tearing, but I am so sore this time around! And my knees hurt so bad, for some reason. I was on bedrest and I think my muscles are jello now. Baby steps.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote