PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default New with some Questions

Hello! I normally post in the LA weight loss forum as that is the diet I am currently on but the words insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome were thrown around a great deal when I went to see an endo 2 weeks ago. I just had my blood work done last monday and am waiting on pins and needles for the results. However I have been doing LA weight loss for a week now and where it worked for me 2 years ago and I lost a lot of weight quickly, this time around NOTHING. I lost 7 pounds the first week previously when I did the plan this time, not so much.
I am curious after reading a number of posts on here as you all seem to be highly versed in this topic whether or not it took you a few weeks for your bodies to regulate into the new diet and exercise plans being insulin resistant or if the weight loss was more immediate? Can anybody give me an idea? I feel like my clothes are getting a little looser, my energy level seems to be up but that scale is NOT MOVING AT ALL!! That is quite scary to me and not helping me stick to it at all. JUst hoping maybe that someone has had some experience with the same thing. Thanks so much for your help in advance.... I really want to stick to this and knowing that I am possibly insulin resistant hearing a success story from someone else who managed to stick to something even though the results were not showing would be so helpful.
cherrycolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #2  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Welcome to the board.

If you are insulin resistant, it may take your body a while to get regulated and lose the fat. But...if you lost 4lbs in one week than you are doing well. The highest number I seem to get in one week even if just started at a plan is 2lbs per week. Most of the time I only see weightloss in 1/2 to 1 pound increments. Be patient and give your body time.

As hard as it is, try not to focus on the number on the scale. As you go along in your journey you will notice other things that will become more important like

having more energy
not having to nap after eating
being able to squat to pick things up
not craving certain foods
and other things such as this.

Good Luck!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #3  

Hi Cherry...I have metabolic syndrome...but was recently diagnosed as a full blown diabetic. I have been really good about diet for six years, and the past few months, very good about exercise too. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it was almost impossible for me to lose anything. No matter how careful I was, I could not lose. Gaining was easy..losing was nearly impossible. Since my diagnosis of diabetes, I was started on a new diabetic med that was developed from Gila Monster saliva. One if its greatest effects is weight loss, and it seems to be working for me. Metabolic syndrome can be very frustrating. All I can say is, stick with it, because the alternative...gaining...is even worse!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One thing I've learned is our bodies aren't the same from day to day, month to month or year to year. Something that didn't work for me 3 years ago, may work for me today and something that works for me today may not work for me next month.

I had lost 75 lbs pretty quickly after having my hormones regulated by BC pills but a few years before that, it didn't work for me at all. Anyway, I was stuck until I was put on the BC pills. Then I was stuck again, for over a year. Part of the problem was that my efforts were halfhearted. I switched BC pills which ended up causing me to gain 10 lbs. I decided to buckle down and intensify my workouts and really be careful about my food. What I ended up with was 3 months of nada. Then I lost 1 lb, then another and the weight started working its way down. 5 months later, I'm down 20 lbs. I'm more than thrilled with a loss of 1 lb/week and hope I can continue a downward trend.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I wasn't told that I was insulin resistant until I had already taken off 30 lbs. in 4 months with low-carb eating and exercising. I was placed on glucophage and didn't notice either an increase in weight loss or a decrease. I am now past my goal weight and my physician just increased my glucophage because he said my insulin level is still too high. So,in my experience, even with insulin resistance the weight can and will come off anyway.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote