South Beach Diet - Eating Breakfast

View Full Version : Eating Breakfast

Julie478
07-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I was just wondering how soon after waking do you eat breakfast. I wake up at 5am, (M-F) but don't eat breakfast until around 8 - 8:30 when I get to work, snack around 10:30, and then lunch at 12 Noon. Is there a guideline to how soon to eat breakfast after waking? I know that breakfast kick starts your metabolism, but I don't know if I'm waiting too long to start. Would it be best to eat as soon as I wake and have 2 snacks before lunch since I can't change my lunch hour?

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks

Ruthxxx
07-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I usually have coffee when I get up at 5 and eat breakfast within the next hour most of the time. Blood sugar is lower in the morning and you need to fuel up. I really think you should eat it as soon as you can to get your body going.

Is there a reason to wait until you get to work? Do you take breakfast from home or buy it there?

Julie478
07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
When I get up, usually at 5:20 after hitting the snooze, I have my coffee, feed the animals, clean up after the animals, and wake up the rest of the household (it gets really busy when school starts :dizzy: ). Then it's in the shower by 6, get dressed (make-up and hair) and go to work. I pack my breakfast the night before. I have a 15 minute commute. Once I get to work, then it's power on the computer, get my water, visit on the way back to my desk :D then eat. I guess I could eat while reading my email before my shower, but if I eat breakfast that early, it's another 6 hours till lunch :eek: . I don't think I can last that long on one snack. Maybe eat a snack when I wake up (glass of milk and string cheese?), eat breakfast and then another snack at 10:30? Or eat a partial breakfast in the 40 minute window before shower (hard boiled egg, milk) and the rest when I get to work?

Barb0522
07-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't be able to wait as long as you do. I get up at 6 and by 6:30 I am showered and dressed and have woken Brian. I pop my oatmeal in the microwave to cook for 5 minutes while I get Brian his breakfast and fix my snacks to go with my leftovers for lunch. Then I top my oatmeal with Splenda and cinnamon and fruit and fix my glass of Metamucil. I eat breakfast while reading the paper and Brian and I are out the door by 7:30 in the summer (7:15 during the school year). I'm at work by 8 after dropping him at day care. I eat a snack somewhere around 9:30 - 10:30 (usually yogurt or veggies) and then eat my lunch of leftovers around 11:30 if work cooperates and I'm not stuck on the phone.

Misti in Seattle
07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
On weekdays I get up around 5 AM, have coffee, and then take my breakfast to work and eat it at 7 AM.

Tammy70
07-10-2006, 09:48 AM
My mornings are bit more laid back now that my DS is 19, when did that happen!!!

Anyway, I'm up by 7:00-showered and dressed by 7:30 eat some breakfast (usually 2 eggs and a frappucino--have I mentioned these are wonderful?) and then to work by 9. I have my morning snack around 11-11:30 and lunch at 1:00 and then if needed another snack around 4:30? But most of the time I am not hungry when I get up, I usually have to force myself to eat, but I am definitely ready for that mid morning snack!