General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/172/130

Default Interesting story

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/...e/war_objector

I wonder how many others want to do the same thing, but won't...
Personally, I think it's amazing. He definately has guts!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

This is an interesting subject for me. My son is in the Army Reserves and could be called to active duty at any given time. I have talked to him about the war in Iraq. He says," if I'm called I'll go. Many other soldiers have went their and lost their lives, and I'm no better than them. When I agreed to be a U.S. soldier, I agree to go whereever I was sent and follow my leaders who have given me this assignment." I am proud of his dedication to the military but know that I am one scared mom.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

When you sign up to be a US soldier you sign up to obey the commands of your commanding officers and dictates of your country.
The argument could be made that this man doesn't have "guts" but is instead a coward who doesn't want to fulfill his commitment.
Good on lily's son, he does have guts and is willing to fulfill his duty that he freely signed up for.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #4  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica
The argument could be made that this man doesn't have "guts" but is instead a coward who doesn't want to fulfill his commitment.
Hmmm, a coward? I don't think so:

From the article:
"Watada... said he would be willing to serve in Afghanistan or elsewhere. The Army refused to allow him to resign his commission."

But I'm not sure about the picking and choosing thing. I'm sure not all soldiers in Iraq believe the war is just, but they are there as they promised they would be...

I dunno, maybe protests are for the civilians? Like with Vietnam? I wonder if the public will rise up against this war...
Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #5  

This is like a situation where you have to choose between noone knows whats right and wrong. Atleast he was honest to speak out what he felt and whats important is loyality to humanity rather than a country, religion etc. we as humans should be more evolved than solving problem sby killing people.

Bush and clinton never went to a war giving false silly excuses and yet they are presidents. wow! and this man who is just being honest may be imprisoned.!!! I dont agree. America has been fighting with every country constantly through out history none of which was on its land!!!!!!!!
We may claim to be a superpower but in reality we are not!

The iraq war is indeed illegal (US did not keep its words to Iraq or UN) and not only soldiers but everyone should stand up for justice rather than just obeying orders. The life of Iraqi civillians is as important as any soldier. even more because the number 1 rule of a war is to not harm civillians.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/172/130

Quote:
When you sign up to be a US soldier you sign up to obey the commands of your commanding officers and dictates of your country.
Good on lily's son, he does have guts and is willing to fulfill his duty that he freely signed up for.

I think that the argument that he is a coward is weak. There are millions of people who think the whole situation is questionable and for him to take a stand like that takes a lot of courage, and I respect that very much - almost as much as I respect people, like Lily's son, who are willing to risk their lives for their country or a certain cause.

I think that if you don't really believe in what you are doing and don't have faith in your leaders, you aren't going to do a very good job.
If it has to be, I'd rather have people over there who believe in what they are doing.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #7  
resident lactivist

Lt Watada joined the Army after the war in Iraq began. He'd have to be a lot dumber than he's claiming to think he wasn't going to have to go. Heck, my husband has participated in that war, and he's a submariner! (This was at the beginning of the war; the USS Boise was the first combat ship to return.)

He's not a coward, but he's not brave either. I don't for one single heartbeat believe that this is truly the crisis of conscience he is claiming. His father is virulently anti-war and anti-Bush (one of the many history-ignorant folks to make the Bush/Hitler comparison, in fact), and everything I have seen--the story has received a great deal of coverage here because he's Hawaiian--truly makes me believe that he's doing this all as a way of making Daddy's point for him.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
VERY well said! This guy signed up to support and defend his country; then doesn't think he should have to do it when the going gets a bit rough.

I hope he DOES get prison time and "the book" thrown at him. The purpose of our armed forces is to defend out country; it's not up to HIM to decide how this is best done, but to those who have been given the authority to do so.... whether he likes it or not.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #9  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

I dont see how going to iraq is defending the USA.
Like alot of people all over the world he thinks the the Iraq was wrong, and 'prob' started over personal agendas.
I dont think signing up to a employer should take away your individuality and your right to say/stand up for what you bellieve is right and/or wrong.
I think they should have let him transfer to Afghanistan and let another officer take the post at iraq.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyezx
I dont see how going to iraq is defending the USA.
Like alot of people all over the world he thinks the the Iraq was wrong, and 'prob' started over personal agendas.
Ya but as I said HE (nor you) are the ones who have been placed in authority to make those decisions in our country. If he was not willing to submit to that authority, he should have thought of that before he signed up.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:30 AM   #11  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Ah, good for him! He's not saying he won't serve his country, just that he conscientiously objects to the illegal war in Iraq. Although I can understand the military's hardnose response in not allowing him to reassign elsewhere. It'd be hard to get the lid back on that can of worms if the precedent is set! I do hope he doesn't go to prison but I am assuming his miltary career is over.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #12  
it's always something

Guys, I hope you don't all object, but we think this topic should be closed. The subject is too personal, and too political. Views on subjects like this can be strongly divided and cause heated discussions which can divide our community, which is not good for a weight loss support group. Many of you will remember that we had to ban political discussions during the election years because they inspired more twinkie attacks than votes. I'm afraid the same thing may happen here.

So while you're in 3FC land, there is no war. The world is peaceful, serene, we're all happy, and weight loss is easy
Closed Thread