Weight Loss Support - sizes, numbers, height and weight distribution

Glasgowgirl
07-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

When i started my diet I wanted to be 170lbs from 305 lbs and I am 225lbs now and I started in January. Now when i started I said that I would be happy to be between a size 12-14. I am 5'8" and a bit, but I am 225lbs now and I just went to the store yesterday because my size 20 jeans are falling off me literally and I am a size 16 at 225lbs, and I know muscle mass and bone density etc changes how everyone looks at a certain weight. But I guess I am wondering if anyone else was disillusioned about how their body looks and what they thought it would look like at a certain size. Because I certainly didnt think I looked 305lbs at my heaviest although I am sure others thought I did, and now its hard for me to remember even what I looked like then (I should have taken pics)...because now even though I am 80lbs lighter I dont think I look any different even though everyone else does. I dont know I guess I am just trying to get acquainted with my new body and I am trying to figure out where we are going together in this weight loss journey. Anyone else have the same confusion?

Heather
07-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Jaime -- Oh my yes, I hear you. I feel like I'm a moving target and am having a hard timme gauging my size. I've lost 95 pounds but am still obese! And yet I know I am smaller... much much smaller. I can't really wrap my mind around it.

Do you have any of your old clothes? If you want to see how far you've come, just try some of those on. Well, put them on over your current clothes and watch them fall off!

JustAGirl8
07-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I know exactly how you feel!

Last week, 2 ladies at the gym I work out at told me that I was an inspiration to them because of my weight loss. They went on about how much weight I'd lost since I started working out there.

Well...*I* don't see it. I just don't. What I've been telling everyone about how I feel is, "The shape is the same, but it's getting smaller." Everything on me is still where it was 60 lbs ago, the same belly, the same flab on my arms/legs, etc. I don't even see it getting smaller, others do! I just know that it's all still there, rolls and all.

So what I've decided to do is that when I get about 15 lbs away from goal, I am going to reverse my work-outs. Right now I do about 1 hr 45 mins of cardio and about 30 mins weights. I am going to reverse that to about 45 mins cardio and the rest on weights. Maybe that will help change my overall shape. I sure hope so.

Hang in there, and congrats on your weight loss so far! At 225 I still wore an 18! It wasn't until I was at about 210 until I felt comfortable in a size 16, and I was about 185 when I felt comfortable in a 14. Slowly but surely, I'm accepting that *I am* losing weight.

*maggie*

SwimGirl
07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I can definitely relate on this one!! I've lost a total of 23 pounds and feel like a total fraud every time I post. I don't see my weight loss at all, I may have dropped from a 20 to a 14, but where is it coming from? Mostly I just figure clothes are being made bigger and thats why I can fit into the smaller sizes. BTW - how did you lose so fast? I've been working pretty steady at this since Dec and have only dropped 23 pounds... I'm ready for this to go a little faster.. heh..

-Aimee

phantastica
07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I experience this, too. I'm 260 and wear a 18W. I know that 22s and 24s are now too big for me, and that seems to be the only tangible "proof" of my smaller size. Since everything is mostly still proportional, I see myself the same.

Heather
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
As for sizes, at 200 pounds and 5'5" I am a 16W or an 18 in "regular" sizes. I feel like a whale when others give their weights and sizes! It seems that everyone wears a smaller size than me... or people who wear my size weigh a lot more than me... though maybe you are all just really tall. :)

I try not to stress about it though. We are all built differently I guess.

Aimee -- I don't know what you weigh, but you may be losing slower because you weigh less! Nothing wrong with 23 pounds since December, you know!!! though I know it's frustrating to feel you're losing slower than others.

Like my size seems higher than others, you are losing at a different rate than others and that's okay.

buckettgirl
07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I have a hard time seeing the weight loss until I look at my own pictures. The doctor's office took before pics, and then they will take them monthly. I also have started my own little album with before pics and will add pics in 20lb intervals, so I can "watch" myself shrink. I know it sounds silly, but I don't see it. Shoot, I KNEW I weighed 350lbs, but after I started exercising regularly, I didn't feel like I figured someone who weighed that ought to feel and I didn't "see" that I was "that" fat. My before pictures are a huge wake-up call. Wow. I do alot of reflecting with them. When the doctor took my 1 month progress picture, you could see a huge difference already!!! I was so shocked - I knew my clothes were looser, but I haven't lost a size yet. I look alot better, even only losing 23lbs.
I need to have the progress pictures to keep my motivation. I also have identity issues because I don't know who I am without the weight. I recommend that everyone do their own Progress Picture Album....it is so simple, but it sure has helped me so far.

lilybelle
07-05-2006, 12:25 PM
I am almost to goal and don't really see myself as that much different. When I get a glimpse of myself in a mirror or window, that's when it sinks in. Or, when I pick out my clothes to put on and they look so small that I think I could never wear them. Everyone is built so different. At 234 lbs. I was in a size 20. At 200 lbs. I was in a 14. Even now many people don't understand how at 146 lbs. that I can wear a size 4-6. To me, that's an easy one. I have bird legs and that 90 yr. old man butt thing going on. I am also 5'7 which helps.

Glasgowgirl
07-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Swimgirl: I eat around 1200-1300 calories a day and a work out on the treadmill for an hour everyday burning close to 700 calories at 3.4 mph and at a 6.0 incline. Its hard work but the results are well worth it. You are doing great too, I cant wait to be between a size 10 and a size 14. Maybe then i will accept what I look like.

sh3l5
07-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I have lost a fair amount and I am still a 16 the same as when I started. :(

Glory87
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I am 5'7" and wore a tight size 18 when I started at 195+.

160 - size 16
150 - size 14
140 - size 10
128 - size 6-8

Nicklewise
07-05-2006, 01:14 PM
I hear you about accepting what your body looks like, I have been really kicking up my excersise this last month or so but I have stalled on weight lose, it was not until Canada that I noticed there really was a diffrence, my daughter b-day is that day and my ex always spends that day with us, he took some pic of me and Nahonni and I actually liked them (it a first, maybe I should post this in mini-goals)lol. Anyways I could really see that my face and arms have toned up.. It so nice to have a nice candid family pic that I am not ashamed to show people..

I hope to post some progress pic soon just want to lose another ten pounds or so to make it an even 30 lb lose..

Trust me if you feel it in your clothes people do see it..

Mel
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Here's a thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88493) about size and weight in the Ladies who Lift Forum you might find interesting.

When I hit my goal weight, I felt like a "mini-me" version of a fat lady. Changing the actual composition of my body was the key to achieving the look I wanted, not just changing the number on the scale. :)

Mel

Beach Patrol
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I am almost to goal and don't really see myself as that much different. When I get a glimpse of myself in a mirror or window, that's when it sinks in. Or, when I pick out my clothes to put on and they look so small that I think I could never wear them. Everyone is built so different. At 234 lbs. I was in a size 20. At 200 lbs. I was in a 14. Even now many people don't understand how at 146 lbs. that I can wear a size 4-6. To me, that's an easy one. I have bird legs and that 90 yr. old man butt thing going on. I am also 5'7 which helps.

LOL lilybelle!!! You are so funny! :D 90-yr-old-man-butt-thing.... ~giggle~

You know, I think many of us have a "fat voice" and a "fat eye" in our head... that whenever we DO lose weight, we still hear that "fat voice" and still "see" fat in the mirror. I know when I lost weight the last time (god I get on my nerves sometimes! .... lose-gain, lose-gain, lose-gain, ad nauseum...) I was at 138 and STILL just felt FAT.

I think I need a carrot dance. :carrot: There! Much better! ;)

WaterRat
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I have lost a fair amount and I am still a 16 the same as when I started.

I see you are in the UK - your sizes are not the same as US. Your 16 is a US14, I think. And hang in there - it'll change. :)

lilybelle
07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks Beach Patrol, that is the only way I can describe my lower body and why smaller pants fit me. I exercise almost every day. When I was younger, I had a nice , round butt. Don't know why this time with weight loss, it all just went away. I was talking about getting a breast lift, and my teenage daughter said "mom just get a good, push-up bra. If I were you, I'd get some butt implants, that's what you really need". Lol, kids can be so sweet.

lilybelle
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Plus, my own sister said "your butt is flat enough to land an airplane on". Now isn't that sweet. My reply was "yes, but it's no longer wide enough to land one on." I wanted to badly say, "yours is wide enough but it would be a very bumpy ride. LOL, Don't get me wrong, we're sisters and have always made comments about each other, but love each other dearly.

SwimGirl
07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
wyllenn - I started at 251 in Dec, and am at 228 now, my goal weigh is 160. I have a fair way to go still.. my body has always either dropped the weight REALLY quickly or beyond slow. It seems to go in phases, weird huh? I have to accept it, but wow.. would I love to lose at a faster pace.

I'm in 14 in plus sizes, and 16's at the GAP are like 1-2 inches from doing up, so hopefully by the end of the month :) I have a pretty large frame and am pretty darn muscular, and I'm 5'8", so I suppose that explains how I weigh what I do and fit into the sizes I do.

-Aimee

Heather
07-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Aimee. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I feel large for my weight. It's hard to be too depressed about it when I've gone from a 30 to a 16!

My husband is losing weight too, and while I'm more gradual, he tends to plateau and then have a bunch of losses. Odd how we are all so different!

penpal
07-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm 5'5" and at my highest weight (225 lbs.) I wore a size 20-22 (or 1X). I now weigh 187.5 and wear a 16-18. I have one pair of size 14 pants that fit but I figured they put the wrong size tag on! I do look much thinner now than in my 'before' pictures (even though I've only gone down one size despite losing 38 lbs.) People who haven't seen me in a while always remark how much weight I've lost.

Since I've lost the weight so slowly (over a period of 2-1/2 years) people who see me every day don't seem to notice the weight loss as much.

It's funny, but some days I feel very fat and others I feel slim. I think a lot of this is in our heads and depends on what mood we're in that day. I also feel a lot fatter when I'm bloated from eating certain foods. When I eat 'clean' I usually feel better - and slimmer.

HarpoChicoGroucho
07-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Or, when I pick out my clothes to put on and they look so small that I think I could never wear them. .

I do this all the time every time I put on my pants. I say, "golly, they look SO small, how can I possibly fit into them?"

~~~
And I feel like a whale 90% of the time too, especially when I go out shopping and see skinny girls. I want to go up to them, shake them, and scream, "I used to weigh over 300 pounds!!" Like I need to make myself feel better or justify why I wear a size 14 and they wear 2's.

And I have an incredibly difficult time seeing a difference even when I'm looking at my before/current pictures. It's over a 100 pound difference, and it looks to me more like a 30 pound difference. I can stare at those pictures for hours and say, "what are people talking about?" It's awful.

I only feel slim when I'm lying down and can feel my protruding hip bones and rib cage. I also have lots of excess skin too, and that sure doesn't help.

Dangerous thoughts, huh? I know I have major issues and when I get health insurance again, I'll be getting it :D

Heather
07-06-2006, 07:46 AM
It seems like a lot of us have these conflicting fat/thin or fat/less fat thoughts. It is such a part of these mental games!

HarpoChicoGroucho -- I'm starting to feel the same way -- wanting to tell people I've lost nearly 100 pounds.

I'm trying to figure out what size I am, so I try to compare myself to women I see. I seem to usually pick out comparison women who are larger than I am now -- suggesting my mental image hasn't caught up with my weight loss.

SwimGirl
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
My mom and I were at this HUGE event last summer, and I kept noticing people, asking if my body looked like theirs. So we found eachother's body doubles, I'm sure it wasn't 100%, but the person my mom picked out was a lot smaller than I expected. Definitely interesting.

-Aimee

phantastica
07-06-2006, 01:37 PM
SwimGirl, that's a great idea! (to pick out "body doubles" in public).

I always think my 60 pounds lost looks more like 20 or 30 pounds lost. Some days, I'm amazed at my progress. Other days - usually bad-food-choice days - I feel like a tub o' lard.

Heather
07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
So, if you see someone trying to guage your size in a mall somewhere, maybe they're trying to figure out if you are their body double! :)

pixiefalls
07-06-2006, 04:20 PM
When I started out at *at least* 273.5, I was a tight 20 or a fit 21. My shirts were 1X, sometimes 2X (just depends). Now I can wear 13r (some 12s) and wear size L shirts at 199. I lost a good deal from my legs but my butt was never really *that* huge. I can't fill out pants -- never really been able too:lol:. I suspect I will have chicken legs when I am done, but that just goes to show how different we all are! My arms are still big though.. my weight goes more to upper body than lower.

KristiS
07-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I am 5'2". I started out at 200 lbs and size 18. I am now at 178 and size 16. I'm hoping to be down to a 14 or less by my honeymoon in September. I guess I am sort of fortunate in my body shape. I have always had an hourglass figure. When I gained the weight it all distributed pretty evenly and my big hips and chest kind of gave the illusion of a smaller waist. (The only good thing about being a 36F!)

If I really pay attention I can tell the difference in my body shape. I have lost about 3-4 inches off my stomach and a few off my thighs also. The biggest difference I see is in my face. I am almost down to one chin and my cheekbones are more defined.