100 lb. Club - July NSVs (Non-scale Victories)

View Full Version : July NSVs (Non-scale Victories)

Sheila53
07-04-2006, 02:37 PM
I participated in my first 5K run today. While I didn't run the whole way, I was pleased with my time, and I definitely beat the woman in her 70s. :)

Heather
07-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Sheila! I love it.

Congrats on the 5k! Look at whatyou did and not what you DIDN'T. I for one, find it very inspiring that you DID it!!! :carrot:

I have an NSV that I'm a little unsure about. I have been a D cup since I gained a lot of weight in college and went up to 220 -- so, 20 years now! While I've never loved being fat, I enjoyed some aspects of being well endowed.

Well, it is no longer so. I am definitely a C cup now. Part of me is happy about this, but the other part is kind of sad... Don't get me wrong -- I would rather be flatter up top and smaller, and I don't miss the aching feeling from carrying "the girls" around and never feeling comfortable lying down... but I guess there was a part of my identity built around my chest, and I don't know why! Okay, I mean I kind of know why, but I didn't think I'd feel this way.

thistoo
07-04-2006, 04:52 PM
wyllenn, one thing you could do to make yourself feel better is go buy pretty bras that they don't make in sizes for us bigger girls. I still have some of my old college years bras in a C that I haven't been able to wear in ages. I shouldn't have hung on to them, but I have to admit that I will be thrilled to fit into them again! Of course, that's just me. I have childhood trauma from being too well endowed at a young age so I'd just as soon my chest wasn't the first thing people notice about me : )

Heather
07-04-2006, 06:13 PM
thistoo -- that is a GREAT idea! Thanks!

thistoo
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
My pleasure : ) I'm a big fan of buying myself girlie rewards.

Heather
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I haven't really bought myself specific rewards along the way -- I have gotten myself things to help me exercise (like my ipod) and new clothes... but I am thinking that this summer I might want to treat myself to a spa day... maybe a reward for 100 pounds lost and celebration of a healthier ME!

thistoo
07-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I'd say you definitely deserve a spa day. Since I'm a newbie I read through the progress thread tonight and saw your before and after photos, and you look amazing. Definitely spa-worthy : )

Heather
07-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Caroline! Hopefully we'll be saying the same about you soon, too!

supernurse_mommie
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Congrats on the 5k :) I have a real mini sort of celebration for me.. ive actually stuck on plan for 5 WHOLE days with no cheating at all.. Granted, this is not too much for some people.. BUT it is for me, id always reason out how to cheat.. etc, and blow the whole darn thing.. ive even had success with cheating.. which only re-inforced the behavior. So 5 days cheat free is a real success for me:)

Lifeguard
07-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I have a little one. This past weekend was Canada Day & we went to another couple's cottage for the day. Today she sent me the pictures & there is one of me that I actually kind of like! hehe - so now it is my avator!

thistoo
07-04-2006, 11:42 PM
It's a great picture, Lifeguard. Congratulations : )

Heather
07-04-2006, 11:52 PM
supernurse -- celebrate these victories, even if they seem small. Now that you know you can do 5 days, maybe you can do more!

I know what you mean about finding ways to "cheat". On previous attempts I did it all the time. I finally figured out that while I might be able to trick my head into accepting the "cheat" my body was going to figure it out no matter what!

Great photo, Lifeguard!

Foreverhopefull
07-05-2006, 05:58 AM
OK, MY NSV is trully a NSV and it's also OT.

My niece is going to turn 2 on the 20th of July and she only trusts me in the pool to teach her how to swim.

Yesterday, I descided to go see and and get some swimming going on. Well, the sweetheart LOVES to swim...only with me as of right now, but she loves it anyway.

See, it's a big thing for my family to know how to swim at a young age and be a good swimmer. We do alot of boating and other water sports.

So my NSV, is that I though my niece how to swim...she's realy going at it and in no time (maybe even before her swimming lessons in the fall) she will be going at it pretty much on her own.

thistoo
07-06-2006, 12:15 PM
This is kind of a silly mini-victory, but since I just got back on the bandwagon last month after a year-long lapse, I'm pretty excited about it anyway.

This morning I took my mom to the airport at the ungodly hour of 7:30, so I didn't bother with a shower. Instead I pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, as you do when you are leaving the house in a hurry. My jeans were fresh from the wash, so I had a small panic attack because I refuse to buy a bigger size and therefore they've been a bit small for some time now, which means that when they're fresh from the wash they're almost impossible to button, let alone drive in for two hours. You know how it is with freshly washed denim. But when I pulled them on this morning they fit perfectly, no struggle at all. I'm really pleased about that, because my stomach is my biggest problem area, so even a tiny change in that area is a victory.

Also, I made it through 30 minutes of Pilates this morning without giving up in disgust (I hate Pilates, but again...stomach=problem area). So yay for that too : )

Heather
07-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Caroline -- Nice NSVs!

Mine is that I resisted a binge yesterday, as I noted in another thread!

Nicklewise
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
My non scale victory was a Canada day picture that I actually liked as well.. Normally I avoid pictures but I noticed that I have very few of myself, always the picture taker..lol I know its not much but I did not see a double chin.. lol

thistoo
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
wyllenn -- Congratulations on resisting. I think we can all sympathize with that feeling, and I bet it feels so much better today to be able to say that you didn't give in : )

Nickelwise, I know the picture avoidance all too well, so congratulations on finding one that you liked. I bet that's a great feeling.

newfiedarling
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Races, bras, jeans that fit, nice pictures....what great NSV's! :cheer:

Here's mine for July...

We live in a condominium that has a seasonal pool. At the end of June last year I started going almost every day to the adult swim and I was usually the only person in the pool.

I started going again when it opened 2 weeks ago and I got chatting with the lifeguard one evening and talking about how there's never really anyone at the adult swim. She mentioned to me that there was one lady that came almost every evening last year but she hasn't seen her yet. It was me she was talking about...she didn't recongize who I was!!!

~Dee

DishyFishy
07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
This thread never fails to bring me joy, and I needed a dose of that this morning. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your victories. :thanks:

lilybelle
07-07-2006, 11:24 AM
What an awesome NSV, Dee. My recent NSV was buying new bra's a C cup. I wore a DD before and I don't miss them at all. I actually got some lacy, girlie ones this time instead of the granny bra's I had been wearing. My first underwires in about 25 yrs.

Heather
07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Dee -- That's a great NSV!

lilybelle -- I'm now into a C cup from a D, but a part of me does miss being bigger in the chest. Maybe that will go away when I can finally fit into cuter clothes!

thistoo
07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Dee, what an awesome NSV! I am going to use your story as inspiration on this stormy Florida day when I can't get in my laps in the backyard pool and go do the elliptical instead, even though I don't want to.

Lilybelle, hurray for pretty bras! I know that must have been a great feeling.

supernurse_mommie
07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Great NSV Dee!! How cool is that!!!! :bravo:

Lilybelle! Pretty bras.. oh how envious I am:) Ive been stuck in the granny bras for so long, im not sure if i remember how that feels.. :bravo: to you too!

Okay.. i have one that is kinda an addition to the one i had earlier.. ive now stuck with a healthy lifestyle for... 8 whole days.. gooooooo me!!! Not a cheat. .not a day without excercise.. i have missed my water goal a couple times.. BUT im very excited about all this. !!!!

Also, this may be a bit risque'... but.. I was intimate with my bf last night.. in the NUDE.. which is a huge thing for me.. normally.. im in a nightgown of some sort.. or at least a t-shirt.. you know.. self concious... it was great.. he loved it.. and was FULL of compliments... *blushing* but i know you girls will understand what i mean.. :)

DollyR
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Way to go Dee!! I will one day have that happen because I lost weight not like now because I have gained so much weight! Keep it up skinny!

MelodyL
07-07-2006, 01:47 PM
WTG all you ladies!!! It's great to hear these stories!!

Sheila53
07-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I felt the strong urge to get a Blizzard (man, I hate those DQ TV ads!), but I went to a Weight Watcher meeting instead and resisted.

Regarding bras, after seeing an Oprah show, I went to Nordstrom and got fitted appropriately. I'd been wearing a 40C, but my actual size is a 36D (or 38D in some brands). I was surprised, but it's made a world of difference.

DishyFishy
07-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Don't get me started on bras! Some of you may recall when I got properly fitted last year. After all, I did yak about enough! :lol: I went from a 42/44DD to a 36H. :o (I'm now 34G.) Sheila's right. The difference was amazing.

Well done for passing up the Blzzard. :high: And keep at it, Supernurse. You're doing great. :cp:

DollyR
07-07-2006, 03:55 PM
My victory for this month is actually joining a gym while I am here at my sisters. I decided all this sitting around everyday would not do much good if I did not do something. I decided to join the rec center which is a 23 minute drive from her house and use the gym part for the next month. Even if I go 3 times a week I will be doing something better for myself than sitting around and indulging in all my favorite foods I miss the rest of the year. It will also keep me in a shape for when I get back to Korea and get into a regular routine.

Shelia - good job on passing the Blizzard. I see commercials for the one with airplane and they look too good. (I go through commercial withdrawal all year since the military only shows MWR commercials.)

kittymuse
07-08-2006, 12:04 PM
I have this one pair of jeans I've held on to, and they haven't fit me for at least 2 years. I've been trying them on periodically, and they ALMOST fit now. They fit fine through hips and thighs (even a little big), but push my tummy up into a funny roll. I bet I'll be able to wear them again soon - but I may want to buy myself some new ones!

It really is worth doing something like that to see how my body is changing. Progress is so slow, and my darned scale is very unreliable. I think I need to tape some foot outlines on it so I don't move my feet around and cheat with the numbers. The pants don't lie and don't let me cheat. Measurements are a little uninspiring sometimes. No matter what the tape measure says, it's always too big of a number.

thistoo
07-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh God, the tape measure is so depressing, kittymuse. Congratulations on the jeans, though, that's great news! And congrats to everyone else for the NSVs, you're all very inspiring : )

Jen415
07-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Funny NSV this weekend: We met some friends at the local watering hole. One friend we hadn't seen in awhile said she was ready to kick my boyfriend's butt because he was with some woman other than me! (She didn't recognize me!) We had a good laugh over that, and it definitely made me feel better!

KateRN
07-10-2006, 06:40 PM
I had a big moment of weakness and cooked a frozen pizza and when i pulled it out of the oven and looked at it i decided not to eat it and put it in the garabage disposal. I ate a yogurt instead. :carrot:

buckettgirl
07-10-2006, 07:36 PM
My big NSV so far.... I'm down a shirt size!!! I tried on an old tank top that I have that is a 22/24 (the JMS brand, so I know it is cut kinda different). It fit!
So... I went in the closet, and looked for other 22/24 shirts that I have, pulled them out and tried them on - THEY ALL FIT COMFORTABLY! :carrot:
I haven't worn these shirts since Spring of 2004!
I'm so happy! :)

on edit: this is actually a good thing because all of my 26/28 tank tops are HUGE in the arms and chest - they look goofy. I don't have to look so goofy now.

kittymuse
07-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Hooray Amanda! Isn't it great when the smaller clothes fit! :)

BreakingFree
07-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Congrats to everyone on your great NSV's! Very inspiring.

My NSV is finally registering at 3FC after lurking for (ahem) years.

kittymuse
07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
That's a good one too. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. Welcome!

Kashi
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Awesome NSVs everyone. KateRN: I do that too, sometimes. I feel bad about wasting food, but I figure I'd feel worse if I ate it. :P

My NSV is that I did 20 minutes on the elliptical today when, less than a month ago, 5 minutes on it killed me. What a great workout it is!

DishyFishy
07-12-2006, 02:39 PM
That's a great NSV, KateRN! Waste, not waist, right? ;)

20 minutes on the elliptical is impressive, Kashi. :bravo:

All these fitting into smaller clothes too! Yay! I'm working up to shopping for a few new tops in the next couple of days. I have only one left that doesn't look like a sack on me. :o

DNR
07-12-2006, 03:26 PM
There is a gal who works here who is always helping for her kids school events, etc. and is constantly selling those boxes of "World's Best Chocolate" bars. Every couple of days or so, she comes in and says, "I've got chocolate" and the other 2 gals in my office get their money out and buy from her. I have yet to buy one, even though I imagine them to taste wonderful. So, I'm going to call that my NSV for July - I think today is about the 6th time I've resisted and I am happy with myself!!

DNR

thistoo
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Great NSVs, everyone : ) Congratulations on resisting the chocolate, DNR; that's a killer for me too, so I consider that a huge victory.

I have another one: Tonight when I got home from work I pulled off my favorite pants without unbuttoning them. On the one hand it's kind of a bummer, because I bought them less than two months ago and I love them a lot, but on the other hand, I pulled them off without unbuttoning them. I can always buy a smaller pair as a reward, right?

Misti in Seattle
07-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Wow what wonderful NSVs... I love reading them and am soooooooooooooooooo happy for all of you! :) I had one today too.

Lately I have been pulling out smaller and smaller blouses from the closet and wearing them to work... but still I am absolutely floating in a lot of them! Well today I had dug out a smaller one... and a woman who is kind of new and a temp (been there a couple months so didn't know me at my biggest) commented on my blouse. She wasn't being rude, as she is heavy too and we have talked about it before.

She said... "You have a pretty new blouse... and it FITS you. Most of the ones you have been wearing are way too big!"

Thing is... she is RIGHT... and I have been wearing the ones which were waaaaay too small before! I really need to find a few more new ones though for now. Just can't find them. I stopped at 3 thrift stores today but everything is just so short I can't wear it. Oh well. :)

DishyFishy
07-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Good job on the choc, DNR! And fitting into smaller sizes is always cool, Caroline and Misti. :yes:

I discovered a couple of months ago that shopping for clothes is no longer painful, now that I can fit into those in "regular" stores. :D Today, I bought four new tops. I got size L (and one XL) as my bust isn't shrinking at nearly the same rate as my bottom half :p, but what blew me away was how much I enjoyed trying on lots of different pieces. Who would have guessed? I bought clothes I like, rather than having to make do with what I could fit into.

I must've tried 20 different skirts and capris in half a dozen shops, and though I didn't buy any, I discovered I'm a size 10-11! No wonder the jeans I'm currently wearing (13P) are slipping down!) :dancer: :twirly:

[BTW, what a difference 12 pounds makes now, compared with 60 odd pounds ago when I could barely notice it. Wow!]

Heather
07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I discovered a couple of months ago that shopping for clothes is no longer painful, now that I can fit into those in "regular" stores. :D Today, I bought four new tops. I got size L (and one XL) as my bust isn't shrinking at nearly the same rate as my bottom half :p, but what blew me away was how much I enjoyed trying on lots of different pieces. Who would have guessed? I bought clothes I like, rather than having to make do with what I could fit into.

I must've tried 20 different skirts and capris in half a dozen shops, and though I didn't buy any, I discovered I'm a size 10-11! No wonder the jeans I'm currently wearing (13P) are slipping down!) :dancer: :twirly:

I can relate! It's certainly starting to take LONGER to shop, as there is FINALLY starting to be some choice! The other day I had 3 styles of blue shorts to choose from, all of which looked good on me. I don't think I've ever had as much choice in a store -- and I'm still an 18 reg/16W!!! My head'll explode if I get more choice!

jtammy
07-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree with the comments about shopping being more fun. There is more selection at size 18/20 than there was at size 32 that's for sure. Wyllen, just think of all the choices waiting for you in the misses dept. Oh, I can't wait to be there :D

My NSV is that, today,after I got dressed, I looked in the mirror, while standing to the side, and my boobs poked out further than my tummy for the first time in far too many years to remember. (sorry if that's TMI, but I'm excited) Normally, from the side, my lower belly protrudes more than my chest, but no longer. I just hadn't realized that had changed.

thistoo
07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Tammy, I don't think that's TMI. I think it's awesome. Congratulations to you!

Heather
07-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Tammy -- I remember when that happened to me... and then... I got a waist!!! :)

I've never loved shopping, but given that I've been in women's clothes since I was 18 and overweight before that, I'm starting to understand why!

nelie
07-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Congrats everyone, I enjoy the clothes victories as well.

I have a confession. I ate bad when I went and visited my family. I started to stress about planning for the wedding and I wanted to eat, so eat I did. I came back 8 lbs heavier, knowing that it was mostly water retention from the food. When I came back, I devoted myself to getting back on track with eating (exercise is still off track but I'm working on that) and 4 days later, I am down a lb from my pre-trip weight, having shed the lbs I gained on the trip and 1 additional one. (Ok the lbs aren't a NSV but getting back on track is :) )

More NSV - I bought a size 22 wedding dress which fits perfect. I had been told that wedding dresses come small so I'd probably have to buy one size larger which would've put me at a size 24 dress but nope.

I haven't bought new clothes in a while as I'm hoping to ride my old ones out as long as I can. I needed to buy a shirt and I bought a size 16 tank top which fit perfectly if not a little big. When I wore it, I got lots of comments on how good I looked but also the comments were from family members I hadn't seen in a while.

puff0518
07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
I actually have a NSV!!! I passed up donuts at work today, and didn't even feel like I was punishing myself!!! This is huge for me. Food has always played a huge emotional role in my life. When I was young, we were really poor, so treats (like donuts) were very rare. To deny myself when it was available has always seemed like a punishment. Not today. Didn't even sound good to me.

Also, a second NSV, to me. I've kept track of my eats/exercise for over a week, without skipping any. In the past, I've always been sporadic about logging food. Not this time. I've logged EVERYTHING into Nutridiary, every day. My calorie amounts are still outlandishly high, but still less than they were before I started logging. I hate to think how high they actually were, when I would eat without thinking.... Logging in my food at least makes me stop and think about whether or not I REALLY want to eat it, or if I'm just bored or whatever.

BreakingFree
07-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Darla -

Congrats to you on passing up the doughnuts!! Passing up free food is HARD! There is always all kinds of free food where I work - monthly b-day celebrations, leftovers from meetings, good-bye parties and right now there's a box of cookies in the break room that someone made for one of the docs in my dept. And I have to walk right by it all to fill up my glass at the water cooler. Feels like walking thru a field of landmines. I've resisted the cookies and luckily they're disappearing.....

Again, WAY TO GO :cheers: !!!!

Heather
07-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Darla -- I know what you mean about logging and realizing how much you still eat! Just think of when you can post about your changes. And passing up that donut is a start. For me, learning that passing up food wouldn't kill me was a revelation!

KimChi6
07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Congratulations, Darla!!

I have many of the same issues and struggles, and it helps to know that I'm not the "only one" who thinks like that!! I live in Oklahoma and work across the street from "Braum's" which is the BEST ice cream store in these parts. Some of my co-workers and I are all changing we way we eat and the way we think about food. Our boss mentioned how she'd like to have a malt or a MIX from Braum's...we told her in no uncertain terms "We will HURT anyone who comes in this office with ice cream". It's not that we wanted the ice cream, so much as we felt it would possibly sabotage our efforts at becoming healthy. Since then, not so much junk food has come through the door. Also, we cleaned out the fridge here and re-filled it with good things..grapes, apples, strawberries...so that we would have the chance to make better choices.

Kudos to you Darla...you go girl! :)

DishyFishy
07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Good going, Darla! :high: Logging everything is a biggie, and one that I've slacked off on lately. Thanks for the reminder of its importance. It's too easy to "forget" things when we don't write them down.

Foregoing the doughnuts deserves some :cp: too! I'm proud of you!

YP1
07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
A bloke chatted me up at a bus stop while I was wearing a bikini top and a stupidly short skirt :dizzy:!!!

I'm not going to see him again (just a random bloke on holiday), but that's never happened before!

newsnerd
07-19-2006, 07:16 PM
I put on the pants!!! And they were loose enough to wear to comfortably, even while sitting!! Woo hoo!

I had decided since I don't have a scale, and don't want one right now, I'd use a pair of pants that had become very uncomfortably snug to sort of see where I was weight-wise. And since I'm half way to my next dr. appt., I thought I'd give 'em a try. So glad I did!! Yea!:woops:

Sheila53
07-20-2006, 03:41 PM
So wonderful reading everyone's NSVs!

Today I ran longer than I've ever run--2.27 miles--before I had to walk (and I forgot to take a hit off the inhaler before I ran). I then managed to complete the 3.1 miles in 36 min., 9 seconds. My goal is to run all the way and to complete the 5K under 36 min. so I'm getting closer and closer. My next 5K race is the end of September so I think I have a shot at it. :)

newsnerd
07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Great job Sheila! Way to go! I'm looking forward to the day I can run even 1 block!