Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - OMG are you kidding me???!! Burger King and it's new hugantic burger!

ValRock
07-04-2006, 01:04 AM
My husband just brought home a sandwich that consists of the following: Bun, FOUR beef patties, FOUR slices of cheese, EIGHT strips of bacon and Some fatty looking sauce. Not only is it gigantic and greasy they totally cut out the veggies and don't even offer them unless you ask.

And this is a MENU ITEM (BK Stacker), he didn't just make it up?! I thought fast food was shifting the OTHER direction?! I think i'm going to be sick... wowza.

Ok, just looked up the nutrition information on this monster. 1000 calories, 68 grams of fat 30 of them saturated, 1800 mg of sodium

I think I need to go lay down... not to mention the large order of fries and HUGE coke he's drinking.... I'm going to gain 80 lbs just looking at that meal!! it's insane. Ick.

Suzanne 3FC
07-04-2006, 01:11 AM
:faint:

This seems to be a horrible trend! I thought that once McDonalds did away with the "super size" that the fast food industry might start to lean towards the right track. And to a point, they have tried to make some changes. But whatever good they've done, they have wiped out with the latest offerings. It's like they can't wait to outdo themselves. It's not uncommon to find breakfast items that contain 750 to 1000 cal, and 50 to 75 g fat.

It's pretty disgusting.

Jayde
07-04-2006, 05:26 PM
This is insane. If he ate all that I bet he took a nap right afterwards... didn't he? :)

ValRock
07-04-2006, 06:05 PM
This is insane. If he ate all that I bet he took a nap right afterwards... didn't he? :)

LOL just about! He layed on the couch groaning for 2 hours... ;) he won't be doing that again!

LLV
07-04-2006, 08:07 PM
My husband just brought home a sandwich that consists of the following: Bun, FOUR beef patties, FOUR slices of cheese, EIGHT strips of bacon and Some fatty looking sauce. Not only is it gigantic and greasy they totally cut out the veggies and don't even offer them unless you ask.

That's just disgusting. In all aspects.

Everyone in the free world knows we've got an obesity problem and restaurants are talking of reducing portions and providing nutrition info and cutting back on super-sized items, and Burger King goes and makes crap like THIS???

It makes me want to smack somebody.

Misti in Seattle
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Well this won't be a popular opinion :) but I think the restaurants are rebelling against stupid lawsuits, etc. and I can't blame them. While I think anyone is absolutely STUPID to eat this garbage, it should not be illegal for restaurants to sell what people will buy. If we keep on and on eroding our freedoms to "Big Brother" soon there will be none left. We don't need government to be our babysitters because people refuse to take personal responsibility.

DairyQueen
07-05-2006, 06:40 PM
The six dollar guacamole bacon burger: 1,100 calories and 81 grams of fat. And I've watched my MOTHER, my fifty-six-year-old mother, consume it quikly and wash it down with a huge coke and have some fried zuchinni dipped in ranch on the side. I opted for the charbroiled BBQ chicken sandwhich (370 cals, 4 grams fat) and had a three peices of fried zuchinni.

willmakeit
07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Fast food is getting bigger and greasier day by day! (see the size of a large burger in Mcdonalds 10 years back and see it now)

The size of kids and people is also increasing. Its not a joke but my professor who does reserarch in obesity showed his Size L POLO tshirt 20 years back and same size L polo tshirt bought a year ago. the size L now is nearly 1.5 times bigger than size L 20 years back (same brand).

Anyone wants to start a low cal food chain in partnership? hehehe!
:carrot:

HarpoChicoGroucho
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
I would have totally eaten that . . . then. I used to go to Wendy's at least once a week and get the triple cheeseburger combo!!! I'd get disgusted looking at it, but I thought it was SO good. I don't even care for cheeseburgers now. I'd rather have a salad.

Daisy Boo
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
with all due respect, there is obviously a market for a burger like that, along with the supersize phenomenon. i mean, he bought it didn't he?

until people are educated enough to understand that things like that will kill you - it will still exist.

sadly :(

i would have eaten it once too. the same girl who would get a quarter pounder, a cheese burger (to tide me over) and fries in one sitting. grosses me out when i think about it.

lilybelle
07-05-2006, 10:44 PM
I used to eat the Quarter pound cheeseburger meal with large fries and drink plus an apple pie and an extra small cheeseburger for in case I was still a little hungry. No wonder I was so fat. I have seen the commercials for this BK stacker and they are targeting them at men, who are all running and jumping in the street and shouting about freedom and such. I bet no one runs and jumps in the street once they finish one of those. I'd be sluggishly moving to the bed or couch for a nap.

Tealeaf
07-06-2006, 01:02 AM
This weekend, on the 4th, I had a huge bacon cheddar burger, at least a half pound of beef, french fries, and a salad with normal full fat dressing. The burger was insane, I could barely get my mouth around it. And I don't feel at all guilty for having had that meal.

It was the first burger I'd eaten in about a month and a half, give or take. I hadn't eaten much that day, or the day before. I'm not eating much today. Sure, someone else watching me eat that might have thought "Wow, she's so big, she really should just have a grilled chicken breast or something!" But then, they wouldn't know just by looking at me that I've lost 65 pounds recently, either.

Restaurants have every right to offer anything they want on their menus as long as it meets health code regulations. It isn't a moral choice for them; they are simply trying to meet a demand. Burger King would be prefectly within their rights to sell a burger three times that size, if they thought they would get buyers. They have no obligation to any idea of what some might thing of as a moral imperative to only offer healthier foods.

Food choices, unless they involve children or invalids, are purely the choice of the individual. It is up to us to decide what we will stick in our mouths. Blaming a fast food place for serving a large burger is simply misguided, IMO.

eddiecooper77
07-06-2006, 04:37 AM
That is some big burger! It may look good but it's never going to make anybody feel good about themselves.

Misti in Seattle
07-06-2006, 05:00 AM
That is some big burger! It may look good but it's never going to make anybody feel good about themselves.

Personally I don't that that is supposed to be the purpose of food. Just a thought.

Mummy_Tummy
07-06-2006, 05:26 AM
I can't remember where I read or saw this but Burger King has basically said that they are going after the other market. If I remember correctly, it was in conjunction with the creation of the very sandwhich ValRock's hubby ate. Let McDonald's pretend to get healthier, Burger King is unashamedly targeting those who want monster sandwhiches and the choice whether or not to eat them. And, sadly, there is a market for it.

Misti in Seattle
07-06-2006, 07:59 AM
That is interesting, Mummy... but you are right, there is a huge market for it and probably a lot bigger than the "healthy" stuff for McDo because people who genuinely want to eat healthfully won't eat at either place to a large extent. However, I DO like to see people... and restaurants, even junky ones... stand up to the politically correct crowd and government trying to tell them what foods they can and can't sell. Have to admit there have been plenty of times when I too would have eaten this crap, but no longer! Sheesh what was I thinking? :)

fitgal2
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
THats the key point here I think, there IS a MARKET for it...with all the info out the about health, eating better etc, NO ONE can say they "didn't know" so really, its a personal choice to put that crap into ones body (don't get me wrong on occassion I CHOOSE to eat it, yes)...so if people are still choosing to eat it, then it will be sticking around (in more ways than one ;))

LadyFirelyght
07-06-2006, 02:09 PM
My boyfriend (high metabolism, can't gain weight to save his life) said he was going to get one of these the other day. He ended up getting something else that day, but still wanted to try it. Well, I showed him this thread and he said "My god. I guess I won't be getting one of those!"

I think I'm starting to rub off on him ;)

jillybean720
07-06-2006, 02:26 PM
I can't remember where I read or saw this but Burger King has basically said that they are going after the other market. If I remember correctly, it was in conjunction with the creation of the very sandwhich ValRock's hubby ate.
Actually, it started a few years back. Burger King was doing just what the other guys were doing--trying to make salads and healthier choices and blah blah blah. They were actually in danger of losing their second-place stading in the fast-food market to Wendy's (McDonald's, of course, being #1), and then they got a new CEO. This guy actually is insanely healthy--he runs marathons and is extremely fit and doesn't even eat fast food, if I remember correctly. But he's also insanely business savvy :devil:

The first thing he did was come out with the giant new breakfast sandwich that had eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, and ham (I believe) for about 1000 calories a pop. Sold like mad! They continued making bigger, greasier, fattier foods, and they quickly regained their firm hold on the #2 spot, leaving Wendy's in the dust. He knew that fast food places shouldn't have to cater to the <10% of customers who go there looking for healthier options--he knew their largest market was the people who don't give a damn about fat and calories, and he went after them, and they haven't looked back since.

BK does offer a few salads and even a veggie burger--they just don't waste their money advertising such things because nowhere near as many people will buy those as will buy the giant heart attacks on a bun :p

phantastica
07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
running and jumping in the street and shouting about freedom and such.

Ha ha ha! For real?

MummyTummy, I read that article, too! BK's CEO figures that McDonald's will get targeted with all the lawsuits, so BK has the freedom to market after macho men with the bigger-is-better mentality.

Every now and then, I indulge in a bad fast-food meal. It's been said that often when we make an emotional food choice, we only taste the first few bites. This was so true at my recent Long John Silver's experience. I was driving to my mom's house and noticed a highway sign for a LJS restaurant. We've never had one up here, so there was no question in my mind that I deserved to check it out and see what it was all about. When I pulled up, I noticed it was one of those "duplex" restaurants, half Taco Bell and half LJS. I was slightly disgusted to spend money on a Border Foods restaurant, but that didn't deter me. I guess next time, I might listen a little closer to myself rationalizing, or being slightly disgusted.

Thankfully, I don't have a desire for a quadruple bacon-cheese burger from BK.

Alethea
07-06-2006, 03:51 PM
My brother is a roofer and he does some body building. The quantity of calories he has to eat per day just to maintain his weight is amazing to me. I'm not endorsing this THING as a good meal choice, especially with the saturated fats and salt, but he could actually eat that for lunch and easily burn it up before dinner time. I'm pretty sure BK is targeting his demographic. He doesn't have a weight problem and he's tired of being told what to eat. (He doesn't eat that stuff, his SO wouldn't allow it, she's a nurse.):^:

DairyQueen
07-07-2006, 03:28 AM
I used to eat the Quarter pound cheeseburger meal with large fries and drink plus an apple pie and an extra small cheeseburger for in case I was still a little hungry. No wonder I was so fat. I have seen the commercials for this BK stacker and they are targeting them at men, who are all running and jumping in the street and shouting about freedom and such. I bet no one runs and jumps in the street once they finish one of those. I'd be sluggishly moving to the bed or couch for a nap.
Isn't that one for the Texas Double Whopper?

LLV
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
You know what I think? I think they're [Burger King] rebelling. They're doing this to spite the new screams about restaurants needing to serve smaller portions.

BK Manager #1: "They want us to serve smaller portions."

BK Manager #2: "Oh yeah?! Well watch this!"

And the gigantic burger was born, LOL.

I personally think the FDA is one big conspiracy. I mean think about it... FOOD and DRUG? If people didn't get sick, drugs wouldn't be needed. So why would the FDA want us to eat healthier? :joker:

QuilterInVA
07-07-2006, 01:42 PM
People swear they want the fast food places to serve healthier food and when they do, no one buys it and it goes off the menu. Just one example is the fruit at Wendy's - didn't see so now it's gone.

lilybelle
07-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I very well may be wrong about which commercial it was, but I thought it was the new one about the BK double stacker. Sorry if I'm wrong, I don't watch many food commercials. I turn the channel quickly.

LLV
07-07-2006, 03:12 PM
People swear they want the fast food places to serve healthier food and when they do, no one buys it and it goes off the menu. Just one example is the fruit at Wendy's - didn't see so now it's gone.
Yup, you're right. The 'healthier' (and I use that term loosely) items at fast food restaurants are usually the ones to fail the quickest.

I mean, let's face it, people go to ff restaurants for junk. If I wanted healthy food, I wouldn't be pulling into a ff restaurant in the first place.

Stevi-rocks
07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I just wanted to mention Taco Bells new ad campaign..."Fourth meal"...Are you a Fourth mealer?" Its the meal between dinner and breakfast"...GEEZ!

phantastica
07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, Stevi, I saw that! It was such obvious marketing. I thought of teenaged boys ... they're the ones probably eating Taco Bell at 3:00am the most!

buckettgirl
07-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I can't remember where I read or saw this but Burger King has basically said that they are going after the other market. If I remember correctly, it was in conjunction with the creation of the very sandwhich ValRock's hubby ate. Let McDonald's pretend to get healthier, Burger King is unashamedly targeting those who want monster sandwhiches and the choice whether or not to eat them. And, sadly, there is a market for it.

Ya! they're targeting my husband, and I have to keep telling him no! LOL

I am very glad to say that I would NEVER have eaten a BK stacker, or some of their other new big breakfast sandwiches... Now, even the thought of it makes my GALLBLADDER ache.
I worked at McDonalds during my last 2 years of high school... by the time I quit, I could eat nothing but lettuce burgers (lettuce instead of meat, dressed like a regular burger) and chicken nuggets. After that, it would have been pretty rare for me to eat fast food burgers - now other things like chicken sandwiches (grilled or crispy, didn't matter) or Arby's or Pizza! I would do, but not greasy burgers.
I have read the book Fast Food Nation By Eric Schlosser ( I think), and now the thought of eating fast food disgusts me. Even though I'm not eating right now, the only things I would want might be a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's, beef and cheddar at Arby's, or anything from Quiznos - otherwise, the thought of any kind of greasy fast food makes me feel seriously nauseated.
I do recommend the book if you want to be completely turned off to fast food... it'll do it!:o

Misti in Seattle
07-08-2006, 01:08 AM
I do recommend the book if you want to be completely turned off to fast food... it'll do it!:o

Oh ya... it definitely will LOL :)

Stevi-rocks
07-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm TRYING to read it but I'm finding alot of info I'm simply not interested in....And it goes on..and on..and on...........

buckettgirl
07-09-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm TRYING to read it but I'm finding alot of info I'm simply not interested in....And it goes on..and on..and on...........
One of the disgusting things I found in the book is that one will find high quality beef and chicken at fast food chains, and low grade/low quality meat products in the school system.... when our kids eat school lunches, they're getting the leftovers that the restuarants wouldn't take.
That is just flat out wrong.
Then the working conditions at meat packing plants, lack of sanitation, and the fact they will slaughter ANYTHING (sick or downers, whatever) they can get away with... YUCK. I wish I could buy my own cow and get my own side of beef cut up.... (actually something I will consider when we have the money and space to do).

Misti in Seattle
07-09-2006, 02:46 AM

I had that problem too... I skimmed a lot of that.

And I got bored out with the continual assertions that it was all the fault of one political party while the other was trying to fight it. Oh please. :) And I don't mean just because of which party was which... the idea that EITHER of them is all that innocent and one all that guilty is ridiculous IMO.

Amberlyn
07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't "blame" BK for putting this on their menu. I mean, I thought we were headed in a healthier direction, but I don't think anyone should tell them that they CAN'T make and sell this monstrosity. I just think it's sad that people still make the conscious choice to put that in their bodies.

Then again, this from the girl who occasionally ate two whoppers for lunch (years and years ago). YIKES!

And I disagree with the comment about people never going to FF restaurants for healthy food. Sometimes that is my only option when I only have 15 minutes to leave work and get back with my lunch. Those days, I go to Wendy's and get the grilled chicken sandwich and strawberry yogurt (sans granola). And water! :)

LLV
07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
And I disagree with the comment about people never going to FF restaurants for healthy food.
Well it's not that you can't find 'healthier' options at ff restaurants, because you can. But even some of those healthier options aren't really all that great. For example, their grilled chicken sandwiches and salads have over 1000 mg of sodium. Better than 1000 mg of fat, of course. But even still, take the Garden Sensations Chicken Caesar salad.

500 calories
34 grams of fat
1120 mg of sodium
105 mg cholesterol

In a SALAD. You'll cut some of that, of course, if you use your own dressing.

The Mandarin Chicken salad, if you use all the stuff that comes with it (and many people do, assuming they're eating healthy because it's a "salad") has 550 calories and 26 grams of fat.

It's just being mindful, really, when you order 'healthy' food from ff places. That's pretty much what my point was. People go to these places and order the salads thinking they're healthy when they're not. Or they order a grilled chicken sandwich and get it with cheese and mayo.

I personally can't stand Wendy's grilled chicken sandwiches, the meat tastes funny to me. I don't like their salads, either. But yes, I'm the same way, if I go to a ff place, I always order the salads (and use my own dressing and skip their noodles and croutons) and the grilled chicken sandwiches with no mayo or sauces or anything.

I mean, we gotta give some of these ff places credit for at least TRYING by offering healthier options, like the yogurt and fruits and frying their foods in better oils (except for McDonald's who still refuses to do it).

And then there's Burger King, the ones rebelling, lol!

Misti in Seattle
07-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Also... as far as healthier options... sure they are better than the worse ones... but I personally have no doubt the book is true (and in fact some FF places have been forced to admit it) that the "healthier" choices are not what they are cracked up to be... such as some of the places adding beef to their "chicken" sandwiches to improve the flavor. And as Linda mentioned... loaded with sodium, not to mention preservatives and chemicals. It's just not my definition of "healthy."

~~Sunshine~~
07-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Holy Cow!

jillybean720
07-09-2006, 05:04 PM
And then there's Burger King, the ones rebelling, lol!
But again, I don't think they're just rebelling for the sake of rebelling--it's good business sense. There are maybe what, 5 people our of every 100 who go to a fast food place and order a salad and nothing fried--catering to those 5 people instead of the other 95 is NOT going to increase your business by much, but creating something those other 95 would like to try, that's where you see leaps and bounds in business! Supply and demand--when 5 people demand something versus 95 people demanding something else, which would it make more sense to supply?

Amberlyn
07-09-2006, 07:24 PM
It's just being mindful, really, when you order 'healthy' food from ff places. That's pretty much what my point was. People go to these places and order the salads thinking they're healthy when they're not. Or they order a grilled chicken sandwich and get it with cheese and mayo.

I absolutely 100% agree! :) It's frightening that some people never do any research as to what they're putting in their mouths, they just assume that because it's called a salad, that it's healthy.

I'm on a looooow fat diet for medical reasons, so I don't have a choice anymore but to find out exactly what's in a food before I allow myself to eat it. But the resulting weight loss is great! ;)

Sakai
07-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I haven't gone to a fast food place in months. I finally did finsish reading Fast Food Nation and Blah! I will re-live the whole book the next time someone asks me if I wanna head over to BK or whereever.

But the other day. I was waiting for my best friend to get off work at wal-mart. (we were headed over to see Pirates of the Carabbean II) Anyways the wal-mart had a Macdonalds in it and I was so hungry because I didn't eat for hours that I gave in and went over there. I got one of their Asian salads and OMG it was so good. Even if it was high in calories it was so big that I could have used it for lunch and dinner. @_@ and it had my all time favorite fruit, the oranges, and it had Almonds.

I would go back for it again. lol fist time I would go to a fast food place for a salad. If someone told me I would this time last year, I would have laughed.

I do agree with many, these places can serve what they want. I just think that the education of what such foods can do to you is really out there. I remember a woman coming to our school and showing us glass tubes of fat that would be in a burger.. or a order of fries and all kinds of food. I was in the 7th grade i think (in 1996) as a kid that was a real wake up and always pictured it in my mind from that time on. I never really was one to go to fast food places because of that.

I do think it isn't right that they target young kids so they are hooked on fast food for the rest of their life.

GetSerious
07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
And I thought I was the only one who thought their sandwiches were out of control. 1000 calories in one sandwich is ridiculous, like a heart attack on a bun.

Gardenwife
07-27-2006, 12:09 PM
About getting healthy beef...You don't have to raise your own beef to do that. Check out http://www.localharvest.org/ to find local sources for produce, eggs, dairy and meat. You can go together with family or friends and buy a side of beef or a whole beef, butchered and packaged into various cuts, already frozen and ready to pop in your freezer. Ditto with chickens and other meats.

nelie
07-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I don't like fast food so really I don't keep up with what restaurants are doing. I remember though about 10 years ago, didn't they say that a double whopper with cheese or a big mac with cheese was around 1500 calories? I swear, the calories in fast food has gone down. I'm not saying it is good but fast food restaurants have been changing somewhat. A few months ago, I went to a McDonalds for a soda and an ice cream cone while I was travelling in hot weather. I saw their nutrition information and the worst thing on the menu was the chicken strips at about 1200 calories?

Anyway, I say down to fast food, down to large portions and more for learning how to cook our own healthy meals.

Gardenwife
07-27-2006, 01:12 PM
This article, Portion Distortion - You Don't Know the Half of It (http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&DocID=1084), is a good read. It tells the history of the upsizing of portions and the marketing behind it.

In part:

Bloom had figured out that fast-food franchises were sustained largely by a core group of "heavy users," mostly young, single males, who ate at such restaurants as often as 20 times a month. In fact, 30 percent of Taco Bell's customers accounted for 70 percent of its sales. Through his surveys, Bloom learned what might seem obvious now but wasn't at all clear 20 years ago -- these guys ate at fast-food joints because they had absolutely no interest in cooking for themselves and didn't give a rip about the nutritional quality of the food. They didn't even care much about the taste. All that mattered was that it was fast and cheap. Martin figured Taco Bell could capture a bigger share of these hard-core customers by streamlining the food production and pricing main menu items at 49, 59 and 69 cents -- well below its competitors.

Sonny876
08-27-2006, 05:22 PM
geeze im sure this isn,t going to be a popular opinion but restraunts aren,t to blaim for peoples poor choices .

If someone went to a burger king and all they seen was salod and no hamburger whats going to stop them from going across the street at the local Micdonalds for the same thing.

If someone wonts something they will find a way to get it .

The restraunt didn,t force these people to go through the doors and sit and order the hudge burgers they did it its there fault !!! Personaly I make a choice to eat fast food once every two mounths witch is what people should do .

Nixxie
08-28-2006, 12:39 AM

eeeeeeeeeeeew! That sounds gross.

Misti in Seattle
08-28-2006, 02:00 AM
geeze im sure this isn,t going to be a popular opinion but restraunts aren,t to blaim for peoples poor choices .

Probably not :) but I agree with you. Personally I get so fed up with political correctness running amok. Personally I won't darken the door of one of these fast food places but it is not the business of the government or anyone else to try to force people to eat properly. It is so easy for us to want to blame someone else for our bad behavior.

Also... I think part of it is human nature... someone tries to tell us we CAN'T do something, that is exactly what we want to do. :) Ever seen a sign on a door that says "Do not enter" -- and of COURSE you want to enter even though it never would have occurred to you without the sign? :)