Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - I'm so tired of eating breakfast

View Full Version : I'm so tired of eating breakfast

LLV
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
When I started my 'new lifestyle', I knew that eating breakfast was important. Yet I had to really work to get it in because I was never a breakfast eater. I'm just not hungry in the morning. So most mornings I have to literally force myself to eat. And on mornings I just can't choke down any food, I have Slimfast. But I can't help but feel I'm just ingesting unnecessary calories with that stuff. Yeah, I know, it has nutrients. But I get those nutrients from the multi-vitamins I take every day. Basically the only reason I have the Slimfast is to get something in me to kickstart my metabolism and get things moving in my body - to 'wake things up', per se. But does it really matter if I have just plain old skim milk as opposed to adding the Slimfast to it?

This morning I had a glass of milk for breakfast and that was it. And I was fine until lunchtime. Because in the past I never really got hungry until lunchtime anyway.

Does anyone else have a hard time eating breakfast? Or am I just weird? :?:

And does it REALLY matter if you eat breakfast or not? Because I'm seriously considering just having my glass of milk in the morning and forgetting it.

ValRock
07-03-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm with you! Not a breakfast food person AT ALL. DH And DS could eat breakfast for every meal but none of the food apeals to me and I'm not usually hungry in the morning. I've been doing the protein shake thing in the morning with much success (plus it gives me an excuse to sit in the kitchen on the computer in the morning for 20 minutes and check my e-mail etc). 1/4 cup milk powder, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 tblsp almond butter, ice, water most mornings. It all adds up to around 200 cals. All blended up in the blender. It's REALLY good (at least I think it is) and really nutritionally balanced. This morning I traded the almond butter out for 1/4 cup icecream LOL but I was in a BAAAAD mood. The little kick of protein, carbs, and good fat really give me a boost in the morning. It's really evident when I don't have it... I just want to go right back to bed!

LLV
07-03-2006, 11:25 PM
mornings. It all adds up to around 200 cals. All blended up in the blender.
Well see, that's part of my problem - I'm really lazy in the morning and don't feel like fixing anything. So doing a bunch of stuff up in the blender (although that sounds really delicious) isn't an option either :(

andoreth
07-04-2006, 12:46 AM
I get up at 5am on work days, and don't actually eat my "breakfast" until 8:30- I'm just not ready to eat until then. However, I do always have a 100-150 calorie get-me-up at about 5:30 or 6 (with my first Diet Coke). To be quite honest, I can't say that they are always the healthiest items on the planet: a breakfast bar, granola bar, 100 calorie pack, or one of my pre-portioned Japanese snack bags (Japan get's my vote for best snack maker in the world). But with starting my working day so early, I just don't have the time or energy to put into even a bowl of cerial (which I wouldn't like anyway).

I think it's probably not bad to listen to your body: you've given it a chance to accept the earlier food, and if it still doesn't seem to welcome it then why force it to eat a full meal? Go with something smaller and easier to start the day, and then back it up with a second meal later in the morning, or just have your breakfast a little bit later when you're system's had a chance to get moving.

Some of us are morning people, and some of us just aren't: I can force myself to wake up at 5am, and I can walk around, put on my clothes and drive (though it's probably good that the streets are deserted), but there is very little else about me that functions until several hours later.

cantforgetthis
07-04-2006, 02:25 AM
I never used to be able to eat breakfast. Even the idea of trying to drink a glass of juice or water seemed to make me sick. :p I had to force myself. At first it was just warm water, for some reason, just being warm made it easier, soothing. I was eventually able to eat a banana and then other fruits. Some days I would just grab a piece of fruit and some cheese just for the balance of protein.

I don't seem to have a problem with it any more, although on days off, I have a tendency not to get to it. It's almost noon before I eat anything. If i'm not doing anything any way, I don't worry about not having food. ;)

srmb60
07-04-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm in! Eating breakfast was like the last thing I learned and I did it begrudgingly. It's also the first thing to go when I backslide.
Linda's got me to thinking that perhaps it's one of those things that just hasn't 'clicked' for me.

LLV
07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I think it's probably not bad to listen to your body: you've given it a chance to accept the earlier food, and if it still doesn't seem to welcome it then why force it to eat a full meal? Go with something smaller and easier to start the day, and then back it up with a second meal later in the morning, or just have your breakfast a little bit later when you're system's had a chance to get moving.
What I've been doing is just drinking a glass of skim milk. To get something. I mean, the milk is better than nothing, right?

I'm just tired of forcing myself to do something I absolutely hate doing. I have some mornings where I'm hungry enough to eat food, but they're rare. Most of the time I'm perfectly happy with a glass of milk and nothing more.

LLV
07-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't seem to have a problem with it any more, although on days off, I have a tendency not to get to it. It's almost noon before I eat anything. If i'm not doing anything any way, I don't worry about not having food. ;)
True, but I get nervous and actually feel guilt when I don't eat breakfast because of everybody shouting the importance of it. In fact, eating breakfast every morning helped me to lose weight because it got things moving in there, supposedly, and helped to burn more calories? I mean how many more calories can you really burn simply by eating breakfast?

lol

And that's another factor, the calories. I HATE wasting daily calories on a meal I don't want in the first place.

LLV
07-04-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm in! Eating breakfast was like the last thing I learned and I did it begrudgingly. It's also the first thing to go when I backslide.
Linda's got me to thinking that perhaps it's one of those things that just hasn't 'clicked' for me.
I thought it did. It was working for a while. But I knew I'd "backslide" as well with the breakfast thing cuz I was just never a breakfast person. Like Karen said, I have some mornings where I can't even choke down water. Let alone eat FOOD.

I just can't do it anymore.

:no:

midwife
07-04-2006, 10:31 AM
It's funny how different we all are. If I drank a glass of skim milk on an empty stomach, I would probably puke.

One of my fav things for breakfast is a piece of raisin bread, toasted, with a smear of peanut butter.

kaplods
07-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I am almost never hungry when I wake up. My biggest trigger for overeating is eating when I'm not hungry, so I've been trying to wait until I'm hungry before I eat anything.

My first meal is usually is about 2 to 3 hours after I wake up. It could be considered a late breakfast or an early lunch. For me, the biggest danger in "skipping" breakfast is waiting to eat until I'm SOOOO hungry that I am ravenous and could eat anything not nailed down.

I don't care for "breakfast foods," and also have to fight against eating by the clock, so I'm actually trying not to "name" any of my meals, because I'm trying to get out of the habit of making choices of what, how much, and when I eat based on the time.

My husband and I are eating our most substantial meal around 2pm, and then having soup or something light in the evening. Basically one actual "meal" and several "snacks." The problem with thinking of any of the meals as "breakfast," "snack," "dinner," or "lunch," is that it influences what I choose and how much I eat. If I get hungry, and call it a "snack," I tend to reach for "snack food," where as if I think of our evening meal as "dinner," the soup or sandwhich seems skimpy. I don't know if that matters or makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to be working for me.

LLV
07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
It's funny how different we all are. If I drank a glass of skim milk on an empty stomach, I would probably puke.

One of my fav things for breakfast is a piece of raisin bread, toasted, with a smear of peanut butter.
That sounds good. But again, sometimes I can't even get toast down. It's the whole food thing in the morning. I literally have to force myself to eat and I'm simply tired of doing it :(

LLV
07-04-2006, 11:59 AM
If I get hungry, and call it a "snack," I tend to reach for "snack food," where as if I think of our evening meal as "dinner," the soup or sandwhich seems skimpy. I don't know if that matters or makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to be working for me.
Yep, hehe, that makes sense :)

Glory87
07-04-2006, 01:36 PM
My only worry is total caloric count for the day for you. You already say you have difficulties sometimes reaching a lowish number like 1200, if you cut breakfast, will that make it easier for you to eat less? If you don't eat breakfast and still manage to hit a healthy calorie level for the day, that sounds fine. It really doesn't matter what time of the day calories are taken in. If you cut breakfast and never make up those calories during the day, I would think that wouldn't be a good thing at all.

Ultimately, if you HATE eating breakfast - don't eat breakfast. Life is too short to do things you hate every day.

Jayde
07-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Some mornings I want to eat a substantial breakfast right away. Other mornings I don't. On these days I have something simple.. like an apple, yogurt, or a glass of soy milk. Then later in the morning, I have my second breakfast. (Thank goodness for Hobbit's second breakfast)... It works for me especially since the second breakfast keeps me from being famished at lunch time and making poor choices.

The hardest part was getting this to work on days I went to work. It isn't easy for a teacher to just eat something mid-morning. So I extend the invitation to my class. If they bring something healthy and not too messy we just called it snack time..

But from now on we'll call it Hobbitt's second breakfast.. cause I agree.. it seems when we call it "snack" there seems to be this preordained thing that it has to be some kind of processed "munchie".

Siena1383
07-04-2006, 07:25 PM
If you're going to have a small breakfast, I think just milk is about as perfect as it gets. Milk has protein and sugars (carbs) -- perfect for starting the day. You can fill in the veggies etc. at later meals.

I don't much like eating first thing in the morning, and I prefer "regular" food to breakfast food. I've decided that, while breakfast should be eaten, it doesn't have to be eaten first thing. Think about it: Farmers don't eat when they first get up, they go work in the fields for a few hours, then come in and eat.

I'm an office worker, not a farmer, but I'm much hungrier around 10:00 than 8:00. I'd much rather eat breakfast then, when it's mid-morning snack time for others.

Having said that, I ate oatmeal 5-6 mornings a week all winter and spring, often with a milk-and-fruit "shake" -- even before I started my diet. Now it's too warm for me to want oatmeal most mornings. Cold cereal and milk only acts as an appetizer for me, making me want to gorge on other foods. Love waffles, but I can't make them myself and the toaster kind have sooo many chemicals in them. The natural ones are expensive, and I always want butter or something on them... Most mornings, the mere thought of eggs makes me want to heave, though I do manage them a few times a month. So, like you, I've been having just milk some mornings, and I'm okay with that.

I have noticed that when I have a really big breakfast, it lessens my appetite for dinner and evening eating. I'm just as hungry at lunch, but somehow it adds up during the day. But by "really big breakfast" I'm talking American farmhouse-style platters of eggs, bacon, cheese, fruits, juice, and something bready. I usually don't even want this in the mornings, and it's rare that I'd prefer it to lunch or dinner food.

My ideal breakfast is crepes filled with fruit (and, yeah, some low-fat cheese) and they're thin enough to be okay calorie-wise, but too time-consuming for moi to make daily. Maybe when I win the lottery and can afford a chef...

LLV
07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
My only worry is total caloric count for the day for you.
Yeah, I haven't been getting many calories. So I was thinking of just adding one or two healthy snacks during the day to make up.

Thanks everyone else for the comments and suggestions!

I'm sure I'll eat some mornings, but it's not going to be every day. Like I said, I'm happy just drinking my glass of milk and leaving it at that.

DairyQueen
07-05-2006, 06:42 PM
I must be the only person on this site who feels hungriest when they first wake up in the morning.

WaterRat
07-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I never ate breakfast foods during the week when I was in high school. My mom would come into my bedroom and hand me a glass of OJ - worked better than an alarm clock. Did you ever try to go back to sleep holding an ice cold beverage??? And just waking up enough to be coordinated enough to put it down somewhere safe was enough to get me up. :lol: And when I did actually eat something, it was usually soup. Eggs or cereal for weekends, and usually mid-morning.

I learned to eat breakfast years later, after college and living on my own for a few years. But there's still nothing that says you have to eat it (only that studies show that it aids in weight loss, helps kids to beter in school, you know all the arguments). But you know what works for you, and if eating breakfast isn't your thing - then don't do it. Or eat something a few hours later, which it sounds like you're planning to do. A glass of milk gives you 100 or so calories, a little protein - you're good to go. Life's too short, and all that. You've done a great job losing! :)

Glory87
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I must be the only person on this site who feels hungriest when they first wake up in the morning.

Nope, I wake up hungry and absolutely love breakfast. No way I would skip breakfast! Drives my boyfriend crazy when I want breakfast before ANYTHING else in the morning.

TamiL
07-05-2006, 10:43 PM
LOL, I have to eat early in the morning also. I could eat breakfast foods all day!

rebelridergirl
07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I can relate to this very well, too. When I first started eating healthier I forced myself to have breakfast, then it became such habit that I couldn't function without it. Now that my day starts earlier, too (5am) I can't stomach it. Once in awhile I eat a piece of cheese or little piece of deli turkey b/c I have to take medicine in the am. Around 9am I'm ready for something more substantial. It really is a struggle, though, I agree!

phantastica
07-06-2006, 03:15 PM
My mom would come into my bedroom and hand me a glass of OJ - worked better than an alarm clock.

I love this! I might need to start doing this to my teenaged son. :)

I usually eat the same thing every day for breakfast, a week at a time. Here are some regulars:
egg/vegetable frittata (made on weekend, reheated 1 piece every day for weekday breakfasts)
1c plain yogurt + 1/2c cereal + 1 serving fruit + 1T nuts
cottage cheese and fruit
1 tortilla with peanut-butter smeared on it, wrapped around a banana

LLV
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
I've just had milk for breakfast for the last 3 days. Sometimes plain, sometimes chocolate (I buy the sugar-free Nesquick).

I feel better mentally, it's a huge weight off my shoulders not feeling obligated to get up and fix something to eat every freakin morning.

DairyQueen
07-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Nope, I wake up hungry and absolutely love breakfast. No way I would skip breakfast! Drives my boyfriend crazy when I want breakfast before ANYTHING else in the morning.
Yeah! I'm not alone! All my friends skip breakfast, so when lunch rolls around and I'm not as hungry as them, they don't understand its because I've already had an entire meal just a few hours earlier. I say, "eat breakfast, guys, its good for you!" Once when one friend said she did have breakfast and when I asked what she responded "toast". Toast is a peice of bread. Its not a meal to me.

2frustrated
07-07-2006, 04:52 AM
I'm with Siena in that skimmed milk sounds perfect for your breakfast - it's got protein and carbs and a smidge of fat, so if that's all you feel like having then that's fine. Just that single glass will raise your metabolism from its night time fasted state, so you're good to go :D

LLV
07-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm with Siena in that skimmed milk sounds perfect for your breakfast - it's got protein and carbs and a smidge of fat, so if that's all you feel like having then that's fine. Just that single glass will raise your metabolism from its night time fasted state, so you're good to go :D
Thank you. And good to know. I do just fine with a glass of milk until lunchtime. In fact I've noticed that when I eat breakfast, I get hungrier sooner. If I have just the milk, I can make it until noon or after before I eat lunch. If I eat breakfast, I'm starved by 10am.

Plus I still control what I eat at lunchtime. So it's not like I'm famished by then from only having a glass of milk for breakfast and wanting to eat anything not nailed down. Oddly it's when I EAT in the morning that I'm famished by lunchtime.