Support Groups - Gettin' Together -- July 2006

View Full Version : Gettin' Together -- July 2006

Gardenwife
07-03-2006, 03:57 PM
So, where is everyone? Off work and enjoying a 4-day weekend? We've had plans every day this weekend. I told Howie I am going to crash come Wednesday. :dizzy:

jillybean720
07-03-2006, 04:53 PM
4-day weekend? What's that? :p I went in to worl today from 7-11:30, and I worked from home last night for a few hours. I still have some stuff I need to have done before Thursday, and I'm going to probably work on it tonight or tomorrow since it seems everyone in the office has been coming to me with random projects lately, so I don't always get to work on what I originally planned :dizzy:

My interview went kinda icky--the lady interviewing me seemed sort of, hmm, abrasive. She wasn't mean or anything, but the way she would bark a question and then just stare at me--it was kinda creepy. I do have another interview this coming Thursday. Apparently, the company currently has no proposal-writing department, so the HR, operations, and admin staff have been putting proposals together, which can be a dangerous thing! :p I guess they're growing so much that they're finally ready to hire a designated proposal coordinator to pull things together and make sure everyone's pieces flow well and do a final edit before submission. It sounds perfect, but I'm not sure I have all the proposal background they're looking for. We shall see...

Gardenwife
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Is the abrasive barker someone you'd be working closely with? Maybe it is her interviewing style...Scare 'em. LOL

Jen415
07-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi gals--back from vacation!

We had a good time at the Formula One race, although it got boring in the middle of it. It's kind of hard when the same guy has won it five times in a row!

I was also able to visit family and friends. And with those visits, of course, came FOOD--and lots of it. I've put on a few pounds, but I'm hoping it's mostly water and can get them off fast again.

Work is crazy today, so I don't think the gym is in the cards for me. Definitely tomorrow, though!!

How are you gals??

jillybean720
07-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Glad you had a good trip, Jen!

Kimberley--the woman would have been my direct supervisor. I actually got such an ick vibe from her (she really reminded me a lot of my boss at a previous job who was insane micro-manager) that I even broke interview etiquette and did NOT send a follow-up letter :o Hopefully, today's interview will go much better.

As for being a fat chick, I had a bit of a freak out session yesterday--I babbled a bit about it in the support forum. I realized that I now in fact weigh MORE than at this time last year. I have the same complaints as I did last year (clothes, roller coasters...), and I have let a whole year slip by without moving forward. Well, actually, the most disappointing part about it is that I DID move forward...and have since slid back again. But, what can ya do but get up, brush off, and try again :dizzy:

Gardenwife
07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I can relate...I was down to 197, remember? I'm at about 216 now and still struggling to get back on plan. The important thing is, none of us has thrown in the towel. This is too important!

I pulled an all-nighter last night, scanning in pictures from a photo album sent by our friend. I'm doing a slideshow for her son and daughter-in-law's baby shower and had to get all the photos scanned before I could do anything else. Even with being able to select and scan multiple images at a time, it took me all night. I watched TV while I did it, reruns of Conan and Leno, medical and nature documentaries...Anything to stay awake. I slept from 8:30am-2:00pm. I hope I can get to sleep tonight!

jillybean720
07-07-2006, 06:22 AM
heh, I'm not sure the medical and nature documentaries would have kept me awake ;)

My current focus is going to be on making better choices. I'm not actively recording everything I eat and keeping track of calories, but I'm trying to choose healthier foods and have reasonable portions. I did climb the stairs to my apartment yesterday (4 flights), which is likely more intentional exercise than I've had in months :dizzy: That is my physical activity starting point--I will walk up the stairs at least once a day whenever I can (can't do it if I have a cart full of groceries, but that should only be 1-2 days a week). I'm certainly winded by the time I'm up 2 flights, but hopefully my endurance will gradually build. Then again, when I was in college, I lived on the third floor for 3 years in a row (no elevators), and to the very last day, I was pooped after climbing those stairs, so we'll see :cool:

I did not follow my planned food yesterday, but I think I am off to a good start. I had granola cereal w/banana and skim milk for breakfast (granola high in calories, but it's all gone now), then nothing until lunch, which was provided for us since we had a long proposal team review meeting--I had ham and cheese on some sort of soft pretzel bread and maybe 1/4 cup pasta salad and NO dessert even though there was a whole try of bakery pastries :o Thursday is always Subway night for dinner, and I had 2 wraps instead of my usual 12" sub on honey oat bread--that cut out a LOT of calories! I also only had one cookie instead of 2...baby steps, but steps nonetheless!

jillybean720
07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
WOW--I had an interview at 4pm yesterday (which I noticed I didn't even mention in my post early this morning), and I felt it went pretty well. I wrote my little follow-up email like a good girl with professional references attached and sent that last night. When I got to work at about 7:10 this morning, I had an email--I GOT THE JOB! :carrot: She said she will call my references today and hopes to have an official email offer letter to me by 4pm today. I'm not sure exactly how much they are going to offer salary-wise, but we had discussed a minimum of $10k more than I make now, so we shall see!!!!

There goes all my motivation here in the office today :dizzy:

Jen415
07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
:bravo: Congrats, Jill! :)

Congrats too on all the baby steps you are taking as well. It's amazing how even those small steps make a difference!!

I'm in revamp mode for my food program as well. I want to rethink things like calorie amounts and how much protein and fat to have in a day and things like that.

Today has been a good start: a peanut butter nutrition bar, fruit salad, tuna with wheat thins, sugar free chocolate pudding and 10 almonds. about 550 cals so far (at 12:30 pm).

I dropped about half of the weight I gained in one night, so I know it had to be water retention!! Still I know I HAVE to get my sh*t together!!

Gardenwife
07-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Jill, congratulations -- Best to you! :D

Good for you, Jen. I have got to be consistent in logging calories again. I'm doing so today.

Banana 60cal/0 fat
Roasted cauliflower w/ olive oil, 260/14
Salad w/ 1oz walnuts, veg shreds, ff dressing, 335/19
Apple, 50/0

Dang, up to 895 calories already. The fats were healthy fats, but yow. Yes, I definitely need to be logging my calories and fats. I always think to include good protein, though. I just had way too much for lunch, quantity-wise, too.

About the veggie shreds -- they're on of those cheese alternative products. My mom brought me a package yesterday since she got some bags on clearance at Marc's. Calories and fat are good at 60/3 for 1oz. But the sodium is out of this world! You ready for this? They have 390mg sodium in 1oz! They're not worth the trade-off, not that great.

Gardenwife
07-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm still working on the slideshow project, so I've not had anything else to eat. Busy hands are good. :)

Remember that old high school friend I told you guys about? What a bummer that's all turned out to be (http://www.gardenwife.com/mt/archives/2006/07/muddy_waters.php). I don't know if I'm more ticked or sad. I'm ticked at her, but sad that people are like that. I wouldn't do this to a person. :(

Jen415
07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Kimberley:

I just read about your "friend"....I would definitely be a combo of pissed off and sad! I wouldn't leave someone hanging like that either.

I wouldn't give it another thought....it's her loss, that's for sure!

Gardenwife
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Jen. That was a down time when I wrote about it, that's for sure. I feel better now with a little distance. It's funny, I have some very good friends who I rarely see or talk to on the phone, but when we get together it's like we never left off. I need to concentrate on the good of those tried-and-true relationships.

Howie and I went to the Jazz & Ribs fest Saturday, listened to a couple of bands and sampled some ribs. Last night we went to the local arboretum (the one I've posted so many pictures from) and enjoyed a concert by the Columbus Symphony Orchestra followed by fireworks. The conductor was so much fun, great at drawing the audience into the show and making people laugh. We needed that. :)

Diet wise...Not so good lately. Again, we're making a fresh start, just like we all have to do.

jillybean720
07-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Glad you're feeling better about it, Kimberley. I read your blog entry about it, too, and I agree that it was rude of her to leave you hanging for so long, then just try to act like nothing ever happened. Sometimes, even the nicest people seem to lack a certain common courtesy :dizzy:

I had a busy weekend--we went to see Pirates of the Carribean on Friday after work, then dinner at TGI Friday's. Saturday, we went to a cookout for Jeff's friend's anniversary (almost 2 hours away), so we had bbq stuff for lunch and then stopped at Glory Days Grill for dinner. Yesterday, Jeff's cousins came to visit from Maryland, so we all went out to PF Chang's for lunch (and had the leftovers for dinner!). Tonight, we are going to meet Jeff's friends visiting from Canada at a Tex Mex restaurant in Maryland for dinner--soooo much bad food! Even when trying to make good choices at restaurants, I'm sure the sodium adds up. I am down .5 from my nightmarish realization weight last week, though, so maybe I'm controlling my portions well enough to help a bit :^:

Jen415
07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi gals! How's your day going?

I've been totally on plan today, including a nice workout that burned about 350 calories. I've had four bottles of water so far. I'm budgeting my leftover calories (about 800 or so) for a meal at Carraba's tonight. Wish me luck!

jillybean720
07-11-2006, 04:23 PM
ooooh, Carraba's--yum!

I've been perfectly on plan today as well so far. I climbed the stairs to my apartment (still kick my butt every time!) and have had 3 liters of water so far. I'm about to go get dinner started--not quite Carraba's, but a bit of an Italian flair myself...pasta (whole-grain) with turkey sausage, low-fat mozzarella cheese, and no-salt-added sauce :cool:

Jen415
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Carrabba's was yum, Jill! I had a pasta dish with chicken breast, a cream tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes and mushrooms, plus way too much of that YUMMY bread dipped in olive oil. In spite of that, I stayed around 2100 calories, with 350 cals burned off in my workout. So...not bad! I'm taking it easy on the carbs today, though!

Gardenwife
07-12-2006, 11:30 AM
That all sounds really good. We've been doing okay, but last night I was up very late working on a project and got hungry late at night. I was over calories, but I didn't binge.

Howie is off today off....without pay. It's the result of a mistake he made on an order. Several of his co-workers have also "enjoyed" days off because of errors they've made at work. His boss gave him the written warning yesterday after telling him Monday that he'd be off without pay Wednesday. When he got the paperwork, he saw it said "final warning" on it. He asked her why it would say that since his only other warnings for errors were over a year ago and they are removed after a year. She said, "Oh, they changed the policy - now they take two years to come off employee records".

Surprise.

It's so frustrating seeing how the company is suddenly stepping up their disciplinary stuff; you know they're just going to pick people off one by one so they don't have to pay any severence package.

Howie's worked there six years, always gotten great performance reviews, answers the phone at night when other programmers let theirs ring to voicemail...And it just doesn't matter.

It's so very important that we both look at our worth not from the world's perspective, especially the corporate world's, but from the Lord's.

Jen415
07-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Good morning ladies!

Kimberley, sometimes the working world just sucks! There are places that could care less about the employees, and it sounds like Howie works at one of those places....I can only believe that better opportunities are awaiting you!!

Gardenwife
07-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I sure hope so, and soon. This is the kind of thing that brings back such awful workday memories for me. It makes it really hard for me to get out there.

jillybean720
07-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Man, I'm sorry to hear they're making Howie's remaining time there so frustrating. I'm sure it makes sense for them business-wise (as in money-wise), but it sure doesn't make sense on a personal level, and I'm sure it only reinforces the idea that if the current management work anywhere else, the current employees will NOT want to work for them again! Way to destroy your employees' loyalty. But he can only find something better from there, right?

I've been doing really well about sticking to my eating plans this week. I got into a pretty heated debate in another thread, and it was argued whether or not we have a "choice" to be fat. Well, no, I didn't choose to become fat since it started around age 4, but I am old enough and responsible enough NOW to choose to be more responsible about what goes in my mouth. It came up that seeing already-overweight people eating greasy/fatty food should not automatically mean they were not taking care of themselves, that maybe they'd only had a salad for lunch that day. I used to be queen of saying, "Well, I have 800 calories left for the day--let's go to McDonald's!" or, "I've been so good all week--I'll have a big, greasy meal to reward myself!" Well, no more--that junk isn't healthy no matter what your weight. Why should I continually take one step back for every two steps forward? By conquering my love of fast food and crap now, I can only assume it will make it easier to avoid once I've reached my goal, therefore, making it easier to maintain. Can I avoid junk forever? No--but I certainly can choose to make it a RARE treat rather than a daily or even weekly occurence. Can you tell I'm feeling a bit empowered today? ;)

So, I start the new job on the 24th. Tomorrow is my last day at my current place, so I'm taking next week off (by choice--I could work at my current job if I wanted, but no one's giving me anything to work on since I'm leaving, so I just ride the clock each day). I got an email today from the new job inviting me to an afternoon of team building with them on the 19th--bowling beginning at 3pm and then a cookout at a tiki bar afterwards. How awesome of them to invite me before I've even started--I think that's a really great sign, and it will be a good opportunity to meet the team in a casual environment :)

I'm also going to go visit my old co-workers from my last job next week--I have been instant-messaging and emailing with a few of them, and I'd really like to see them again and maybe now establish some outside-of-work friendships.

I've never felt as appreciated and valued at my current job as I do now that I've turned in my notice. It seems almost daily, I'm receiving "we'll miss yous" from multiple people, including some from whom that message really means a lot to me (like the man today who almost made me cry by telling me how much he'll miss me and how he hopes my new job doesn't work out so I'll come back--here he is, this guy who has been on all sorts of secret military missions, has killed who knows how many people in his military/security career, and could kill anyone with his bare hands if necessary, and he's going on about how upset he was when he heard I was leaving...that REALLY makes me feel good). If only they'd shown so much appreciation before I got another offer elsewhere, maybe things would have been different...

Jen415
07-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Well you know the old saying Jill "you don't know what you got until it's gone...." That's what they are experiencing. But you are definitely making a good long term career move for yourself.

Good for you for sticking to plan too! It will pay off!!

Man, I am TIRED today! I didn't sleep much last night, so I'm trying to make it through. I think I need some coffee!! I need to be careful--it's days like this where my plan goes to **** in a handbasket! (It's already off to a shaky start, since I decided to eat four Hershey Nuggets instead of a real breakfast!)

Jen415
07-14-2006, 10:37 AM
BTW Jill--I read that whole thread you were talking about....man that WAS a pretty heated debate! That is why I stayed OUT of it! But I agree--you should be proud of who you are, not the state that your body is in.

JMHO...

Gardenwife
07-14-2006, 02:09 PM
If only they'd shown so much appreciation before I got another offer elsewhere, maybe things would have been different...

Boy, does that ever ring true. Enjoy your week off, visit and mingle, strike up new friendships. Sounds like a plan to me!

I posted the freelance project I just finished this week. It's in a blog entry Baby shower video (http://www.gardenwife.com/mt/archives/2006/07/baby_shower_vid.php). Once I streamline my workflow, they won't take me so long to do; this first one was a learning experience. I still have a lot to learn!

Howie and I have been better in our eating, though we've slipped and dialed the pizza place a couple times and made some bad choices. We've also made some really great choices. Main thing is, I've got to drink my water!

jillybean720
07-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Kimberley, I am sooooo with you on the water! U have a bad habit of drinking plenty all week long, but then come the weekends, nada! I have had 1 liter so far today, so that is a big step for me :dizzy:

I have all next week off before starting the new job on the 24th. In an effort to stay strong, avoid fast food, and not eat junk, we went grocery shopping earlier, and I spent much of the afternoon preparing healthy foods ot have easily on hand. I now have containers in my fridge of black beans (canned, thoroughly drianed to ditch most of the salt), baby corn (again, canned and drained), baby spinach, romaine lettuce, sliced avocado, chopped cucumber, sliced strawberries, light dressings (they were on sale this week, too!), and chopped hard boiled eggs. I also bought some salsa and have whole-wheat pitas, low-calorie whole-grain bread, and reduced-fat cheese. I think I'll survive the week!

Of course, we are going out to dinner on Wednesday night for a secret shopping assignment and again on Thursday night for my birthday (my first trip to the Cheesecake Factory!!). Hopefully, I will be good enough when eating in to balance it all out :smug:

Jen415
07-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi gals!

Jill, sounds like you bought some awesome groceries! That should help keep you out of trouble! LOL

Had a fun weekend, but boy am I beat! I need a day to rest up!

Gardenwife
07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
The massage last night felt so very good. I'm sore up in my right shoulder and upper back, but that will pass. Howie and I both need chiropractic adjustments to get our necks back in shape, then we'd be good to go.

Our friends grilled out had huge T-bone steaks last night, served along with fresh corn on the cob, sauteed veggies (too spicey for moi!), cucumbers and onions in vinegar water, and chilled shrimp. For dessert we had vanilla ice cream with fresh blueberries and strawberries on it. We were over calorie, but it wasn't due to fast food or crazy eating; it was what our treat days need to be, just a little extra from eating a regular portion of something we wouldn't normally eat.

Howie's old boss - the one who was at the company he'd interviewed for last month - called him today. She's the manager at the place she went to and she wants to interview him for a job there! He has another interview this week for a company opening a local office, too. Things may be looking up. :)

Jen415
07-18-2006, 11:02 AM
They look like they are looking up, Kimberley! Best of luck to Howie!

Speaking of sore shoulders, I've got one too...along with my neck! A massage sounds soooooooooo good right now!

Gardenwife
07-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Thursday's the day -- local interview at 10:30am, Columbus one at 2:00pm. Wouldn't you know they scheduled him to work days this week? He was able to switch shifts with his coworker. After the second company's interview, he's coming back to work a late shift at his job, unless they make him take a vacation day. They're pretty swamped, though, so they probably will have him come in, even if he's late.

I'm heading into Columbus in a few. The friend who did my highlights a few weeks ago wasn't really happy with how they came out (neither was I -- too subtle), so he wanted me to come in today for a cut and hightlights as a model this week.

This is great, because I have one cut left in my barter agreement with my other friend and this will stretch the hair thing out another four weeks.

I'm doing pretty well in my eating, thinking about what I eat again. The habit's re-forming in my mind. :) I have a baggie packed with 1.5oz lowfat cheddar, a small apple, and 1oz walnuts. That way, if I stay in Columbus for a while and get coffee somewhere, I will have something good to snack on instead of being tempted by biscotti or scones.

Love y'all -- you're fabulous. Haven't heard that word in a while, have we?

Jen415
07-18-2006, 04:55 PM
I sure haven't! I used to hear that from my gay boyfriend all the time....I sure do miss him! :(

jillybean720
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM
heh, I don't like using words like "great," "awesome," "perfect," etc. I more frequently use "fabulous," "wonderful," "spectacular," "marvelous," "stellar"...it's more fun to say and sounds more exciting :p And I've noticed it's quite contagious around the workplace!

Great to hear you're getting back on track with the food, Kimberley. What sort of plan are you working with now, Jen? I know I'd seen a thread a few weeks ago about how bored you were with the mostly-liquid diet.

Well, I've so far had a successful day 2 of being home all day. I went and got my oil changed and hit up Walmart--got 2 new shirts and a new purse :) I haven't been eating the snacks I plan into my menus, but I have been nibbling on a few things here and there that I'm sure add up. I made a 1/4 sheet cake sized sugar cookie today to make a cookie pizza to bring to my old co-workers when I go to visit tomorrow, and I must admit I liked the spoon :o I also experimented with a new pasta salad, but I only took 2 bites before throwing it all away and making a more normal one to have with dinner. I used regular mayo (God forbid reduced-fat mayo touch Jeff's lips!), but I tried to limit the amount and add a little more mustard. Having had a healthy smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch, I don't think some regular mayo in a whole-wheat pasta salad will be the end all of my day ;)

Jen415
07-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Morning ladies!

Jill I am back to using S p a r k People dot com. (It gets deleted if enter it properly.) I like it so much better than fitday!

Here are the ranges I am using per the site (this is based on me doing 30 minutes minimum of cardio four times a week):

Calories: 1450-1800 (I vary the amount every day--like the calorie cycling you do, Jill)

Carbs: 163-292 ( I almost always stay on the low end of this, sometimes not even meeting it)

Fat: 32-70 (Some days I'm well within range, somedays not...:( )

Protein: 36-158 (I shoot as high as I can in this column)

Fiber: 25-35 ( I rarely ever make this goal...I need to do something about it!)

Nothings off limits--but I try to stay away from sugary stuff if I can. That is my kryptonite.

I feel like now there is some variety in my diet, and not the same old shakes and bars. I got really bored with it. I'm glad for the results I got from it, but I know that in order to make this a TRUE lifestyle change, I have to learn to eat balanced. So far my weight hasn't changed much, but I feel better eating healthier amounts of calories rather than the 800 cals I was doing.

The key for me is the exercise. I know now I can't lose weight on just eating right. It is definitely a combination of the two. If I stop working out, my loss will stop.

There's a thread on the 100 lb club about Super Foods that has been very interesting....I am thinking of getting that book and reading it.

Anyway, enough blabbering from me.....

Gardenwife
07-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Howdy, howdy. Sounds like you're back onto a good plan, Jen. I like the idea of calorie cycling, might try that.

In the meantime, I am down 4 pounds, finally! Back to 216. I won't make my goal of being at my driver's license weight by my birthday, but I can't kick myself over it. At least I'm heading back in the right direction. Question is, do I fib and leave my weight as 190 on the license, or do I fib and give my goal weight? Hmmmmm.

The farmer's market is back in full swing here in town, so we've been enjoying fresh produce. The peaches and some other fruits have been brought up from Georgia until locals ripen, but they're still sooo good.

Jen415
07-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Mmmmmm.......farmer's markets are always so awesome!

Great job on the 4 lbs!!

Last night our housemate made the absolutely AWESOME Chinese dinner FROM SCRATCH!!! Needless to say, the scale is up a bit--and I can feel myself retaining water like nobody's business! So..I'm trying to flush myself out!