Weight Loss Support - Question about Calories

View Full Version : Question about Calories

Alta
07-03-2006, 02:31 AM
How many calories should one be eating to lose weight? I have been tracking my calories with FitDay and dont eat over 1500 cal. per day and I also exercise about 5 times a week for one hour or more and I am not losing any weight at all. I am watching the carbs and never go over 100 grams and stopped eating sweets, sodas, white flour and pasta.

I eat a lot of the good stuff...but always between 1200-1500. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I heard that you should never go below 1200 cal otherwise your body goes into starvation mode.

Can you please help with your opinions?

Thanks

Jtjoray
07-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Well it sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe lower your calories to 1300 and see how that works for awhile. How long have you been doing this? Sometimes it takes alittle bit to get your body moving.

Misti in Seattle
07-03-2006, 04:26 AM
How many calories should one be eating to lose weight?

We are all sooooo different! My recommendation is to check with your doctor.

Alta
07-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I have been tracking for about 2 weeks now. I cant get beyong 173 lbs. I have been dieting since May 9 and have lost about 12 lbs.

I need to get over that hump to at least 169..but will I have to cut down my calories to 1000....I am eating right around 1300 except for certain ocassions that I might eat around 200 more cal.

Cassie501107
07-03-2006, 10:53 AM
It really sounds like you're doing good...don't know why you're not losing!:?:

holicanmc
07-03-2006, 11:33 AM
First, is your body changing, pants getting looser, measurements getting smaller?

If so, then what you're doing is working. If not, it's not working and you need to change what you're doing. I would suggest some experimentation. Either raise or lower your calories (I know some people will disagree with raising them but it worked for me) and/or change up your exercise (type, duration, or intensity) for at least two weeks to be sure whether it's working or not.

BTW my magic hump number is 183, I get stuck there every singe time.

Oh and it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, different things work for different people, keep trying until you find what works for you but keep in mind that it may stop working and you may have to experiment some more in the future.

Heather
07-03-2006, 11:38 AM
This takes time! You've lost 12 pounds in less than 2 months, putting you right on track to lose .5-2 pounds/week.

Unfortunately, the weight doesn't come off in a linear fashion. Some weeks you'll lose more and others less. That's the way our bodies are.

You ARE losing, so it sounds like there's no reason to lower your calories. It's harder to get in the nutrients you need when you eat too little.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Learn new habits. Eat healthier and exercise. And when the weight comes off it is more likely to stay off.