Support Groups - Crafters Incorporated -- July/August '06

meowee
07-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Hello there all you Crafty Ladies . . .

Here's a fresh new 'Summer Place' for us to hang out.

Cheryl120
07-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Morning Gals,
Well that lovely fairy fat mother paid me another visit.:D I'm down another pound.:carrot: :carrot: I decided to change my ticker to what my highest weight was before I started here. I have worked very hard for every pound of fat I have lost. Off to church, so will check back later. Have a great day.
Cheryl

Cheryl120
07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Linda and Meslissa, come out, come out where ever you are. Just kidding! Saw you on the other thread,:dizzy: I know you will find your way here.

Melissa...Giving you a swift kick and a knock on the head to get out there and start walking and use that weight room!!:kickbutt: :frypan: :kickbutt: :frypan:
Get your self a walkman or mp3 player and pick some music to workout to. It really helps me. I walk to Santana and the soundtrack from "Sex in the City". I use a product called Mox and a toothbrush to get the blood out of the quilt. I usually don't clean a quilt that I am giving away. Once it is washed, it take on a different look depending on the batting I use.

Well I'm going to slap a bandaid on my finger and lock myself up in my room and lay out the final side of the quilt. I might set up my other machine and do some machine embroidery on some dish towels. I have a bridal shower on Friday and I think they will make a nice gift.

Cheryl

meowee
07-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, CHERYL, yeah . . . way to go, girl. :hug:

Well, you're never going to believe how stupid I was earlier this morning . . . well, at least I hope you won't just say "Yep, sounds just like her." :o Started the new thread and then went back and posted in the old one. Then Mel tried to make me feel better, I guess, because she followed my lead and posted over there too.

Don't know if this is going to work, but I'm going to try to move both of them over here. Well, I don't really know how to do that . . . but

Here is the content of mine . . .

Oh CHERYL :hug: Have been there and done that while free-form quilting with the feed doggs dropped and no foot at all on the shank. Hurts doesn't it. ;)

Our weather is still fairly dry although it is clouding over and thunderstorms are imminent, again. Don't really mind, as long as we don't get left with high humidity again. :(

See you later, gators . . . Keep moving and shaking . . . :carrot

And here is MEL's --- or, at least the content of it ---

Yeah!!!! on those 2lbs Brandy!!

Cheryl, so sorry about the blood on the quilt. I'd be very upset too!! I'm not a quilter, you'd know better than i how to handle that, but could you just "spot" clean it with cold water (cold water is best with blood), then when it's finished, maybe have it dry cleaned? like i said, you'd know best :)
I guess I'm fortunate in that i dont have to worry about pricking myself with my hook :)

sorry i've been MIA on this thread, but i've been all over this place. :) but you know? i guess i've determined that i like this thread the best, and will probably just start posting exclusively here. nothing specific (well, maybe one thing not worth going into detail about), but there are a couple of posters who just give off "bad vibes" to me. 'course i do tend to be quite "direct", and i know some cant handle that, one of the few things my father ever told me as a child that stuck with me was, "never leave 'em guessing". but then again, could just be my hormones (i like to blame a lot on hormone! lol) :) So if i ever say anything here that rubs you guys the wrong way, it doesnt hurt my feelings to call me out on it, and i dont mean anything by it, i'm not the sort to say something just for the sake of hurting someones feelings, its just my nature. as my best buddy in the world always tells me, "yeah, i know how ya are, but i love you anyway!" LOL. I've also met and hooked up with a wonderful gal here and we've become "diet buddies", she is a newbie like me.

i finally ponied up the $8 for the sweater shawl pattern, i know i know. i tried a couple of thngs off my head that came really close to that one that i showed you, but it just wasn't the same, i guess i'm too particular. so i ordered the pattern, and i hope its in the mail on monday. cleaned up my craft area two weeks ago, and you cant even tell i touched it! lol

i haven't done too good this weekend in the food department. what is it about weekends??? i have THE hardest time staying on program on weekends. last monday when i got in the car to go to work, i said "ok! today is the day! today I will start walking on my lunch break!" did I? NO! argh!!! so! tomorrow I WILL START walking. since dr. says that's all i can do, i just gotta do it! but its so hard to get started. have this huge FREE fully equiped weight room in the building at work, and i dont even take advantage of the treadmills. yes, that's plural, i think there are 4 of them down there. this is a full size weight room, with every piece of work out equipment you can think of, and free weights too. and its FREE! i dont even have to pay membership. not only that, i can go anytime i want. i have a badge that lets me into the building anytime i get ready, and i dont even take advantage of it. is that pitiful or what?? it makes me feel bad when i think that a lot of these posters here have to pay exorbitant gym membership fees, that they have to be practically dead to get out of a contract with, and here i am with this free gym at my disposal anytime i want to use it, and i dont. ok, i'm done beating myself up about it. just gotta do it! like Nike, JUST DO IT!

Sorry, gang . . . just another one of those days when old age is creeping up on me a lot faster than I can get out of its way . . . :dizzy:

meowee
07-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi again, CHERYL . . .

Obviously you were over there, finding out how stupid I was while I was trying to find a way to get the silly things moved. :dizzy: I'm beginning to think all the www I've been holding on to isn't just in my ankles. Seems like a lot of it landed between my ears. :o

Glad to hear that you got the blood out of the quilt and I know what you mean about them looking totally different after they've been washed. They actually look 'softer' but definitely not new and when you are giving the quilt away, 'new' is the look I prefer, too.

Hope you find us too, MEL. Sorry I'm so confusing today. I will try to do better. :?:

meowee
07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Okay now . . . MEL . . . it's a good thing crochet hooks are fairly blunt or I'd be sure to manage to cut myself on mine today. :p You are absolutley right, girl . . . you should definitely be taking advantage of that exercise facility, especially since you can get there in 'off-work' hours, too. Wish i had one so handy and so free. BUT, I also understand how difficult it is to get doing anything sometimes. I am afraid I'm just not very good with the exercise stuff, either.

Hopefully, we can all settle down in our new 'summer place' now. Hope that Linda smartens up. :mad:

Cheryl120
07-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Linda...Your too funny!!...Your more computer smart than me. I'm lucky if things go well just to post here. Got the last side layed out with the kids and have started sewing them down. Didn't do any machine embroidery, too tired! I've been up since 4:30 and my eyes are really tired.
How your cut? See you ladies tomorrow.
Cheryl

meowee
07-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi girls . . .

Some bad news and some good news to share today . . . first the bad --- long term forecast says we are in for another round of high humidity so, in a fit of convoluted logic, I decided to break my cardinal rule and I got on the scale this morning --- and that got me to the good news that my www has departed and as of this morning, my ticker is correct. :D

So, whatever my real Wednesday weigh-in says, so be it. Knowing the way my body reacts to the heat and humidity, I may not know just what is going on for sure until the Fall. :dizzy: I'll just keep doing as much of the good stuff as I possibly can, secure in the belief that it will eventually pay off, and try to stay calm about the scale-:devil:'s little flights of fancy.

Have a great day, chickies. Keep on moving and shaking and doing the right sort of things and downward movement will be the result. See you soon. :carrot:

meowee
07-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Happy Fourth of July . . . where are you all hiding today?

This morning wasn't as bad as predicted, but it is now getting very cloudy and heavy. Can hardly wait to see how much I weigh tomorrow morning. :dizzy:

Anyway, hope you are all having a great moving and shaking time. See you soon. :carrot:

meowee
07-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Morning, ladies . . . it's stormy and humid again and my weight is up again . . . but not as high as last week so maybe that means I actually lost something (if it wasn't being obscured by the WWW). Whatever, I'm just not going to get upset about it. My ticker is staying exactly where it is until I can move it downward again (soon, I hope).

Hope everybody else has a good day. Keep on moving and shaking, gang, and I'll see you soon. :carrot:

Cheryl120
07-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Morning...Busy with 4th of July activities Monday night and yesterday, so wasn't able to get back here to post. Missed you all!:hug: Well we had company for a BBQ yesterday and I did good!! Helps that the FD's are acting better. Guess saying that they were not going on vacation with us did the trick. Got my two quilts back yesterday from the quilters. She did a beautiful job on them. Lastnight I trimmed the excess batting/fabric off so I can get the binding on. I only have 2 weeks to get them and the quilt I'm working on done. I sewed on the kids quilt yesterday. Got all the body parts sewed on and started sewing down the clothes. I should have it done by Friday, if not sooner.:D

Linda...Congrats on the WWW finally departing. When it is hot and humid here, my feet swell up so bad I can hardly get my shoes on, and there is no way I can stand to wear anything that crosses across the top of my foot. Hurts do darn much. I have a very bad habit, but I've been doing it for over 30 years, I'm usually barefoot, unless I have to go somewhere.:D

Have a good day:hug:
Cheryl

Cheryl120
07-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi Gang...Just a quick check in to let you know the scales were down 1.8 lbs at WW. So happy to see 329 on the scales.:carrot: :carrot:

ArtsyGirl
07-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi ladies-I had a great weekend. My brother and his family came up for a visit, and we had a nice picnic and a trip to Cedar Point. Lots of fun both days. My 5K was Tuesday. I did a lot better than I thought I would. I expected a time around 33 min. and did it in 28:57!!!! Happy me!

Cheryl-Congrats on your loss!!! My scale is broken, so I guess I'm taking the week off from weighing.

meowee-hope the humidity moves out of your area soon. Keep smiling.

meowee
07-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi girls . . . another one of those days when you have to chew the air instead of being able to breathe it . . . ugh :( This is definitely not our usual summer weather.

Cheryl :hug: . . . Yay for your loss. Glad one of us has the scale-demon under control.

Brandy :hug: . . . Yay for your great mini-marathon time and the fun weekend.

Nothing exciting for me. Getting a little crocheting done but mostly busy, busy, busy doing I have no idea what. :dizzy:

Have a great one gang. Keep doing the good stuff and I'll see you soon. :carrot:

Cheryl120
07-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Hello,

Brandy...Congrats on running the 5K. Awesome time!!!! Happy to hear you had a great weekend as well.:D

Linda...Sorry to hear you have that horrible humidity to deal with.:( We are in the same boat. The air conditioner is on and it doesn't even seem to help. Hot and sticky...Ugh!!!

Well, I finished the quilt today.:D Just have the french knots to do and I'm trimming up all the loose threads. Also need to do some spot cleaning on it. What to have it completely done by Aug 8th, so I can get it to the quilter. Doing good eating wise today. I have had an upset tummy, so I ate a very lite dinner. See you crafty gals tomorrow.

Cheryl

ArtsyGirl
07-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Morning ladies,

I'm teaching a group of 4Hers a glass fusing class today. We're going to make pendants and earrings. Its a small group and I know all the girls well so I think it will be a fun afternoon. I may even be able to get something of my own made!!

Cheryl-Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

meowee-Hang in there. That humidity has to break soon.

meowee
07-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Ladies . . . we are having a really lovely day today . . . and I'm taking advantage of it to put some finishing touches on an crocheted afghan.

CHERYL . . . :hug: Good going with the kid-sewing. Have fun with those french-knots. Yuck, don't really know why I dislike them so much . . . probably because I'm not good at them. :o Seems like every one I do takes at least 3 tries to get it right.

BRANDY . . . :hug: That class sounds like loads of fun. Hope you get a project done, too.

Well, better get back to my crocheted edging . . . and then I've got about a thousand (well, it seems like that many anyway) ends to work in.

Have a great evening of moving and shaking, gang. See you soon. :carrot:

Cheryl120
07-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Morning....Sorry I was MIA yesterday. I had meetings all day and I didn't get home till 10PM. All I wanted to do was take a shower and go to bed. It was so hot and miserable yesterday. We hit 95 and the sweat was just pouring off of me. With the heat and the farmers mowing their hay, I had a blooming headache.:headache: Today I'm going to cut the binding out for the quilts and sew the sides on, so I can sit and watch a movie while I do the hand stitching on them.

Brandy...How did your class go with the 4-H group? I wish I lived closer, I would love to learn. Even here, I would have to drive 90 miles to take a class and buy supplies.

Linda...Bet you are so happy to have cooler weather. Did you get a lot done on the afagan? It has been a hot, dry summer so far for us and we are hurting. If we don't get a good rainfall before the weekend ends, the farmers will have a very poor wheat crop, and it doesn't look like it will rain. It's so dry, that the leaves on my trees are falling off!!!

Well this is not getting the quilts done, as much as I would like to stay and chat with you lovely ladies. Have a good weekend and try to stay cool if it's warm where your at.:D

Hugs to all:hug:
Cheryl

meowee
07-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi there, oh crafty ones . . .

Humidity has stayed down, thank goodness, but it is just plain HOT today. I seem to have been very busy and the heat is really making me feel tired this evening. My blood sugar is high, too. Just kind of strange all round.

Yes, I got the edging done on the afghan and it is currently draped over the back of the couch with cats sitting on it. It really isn't quite finished because I've still got to weave in all the ends, but I can't see them right now so they can wait for a bit longer without driving me totally nuts. Was thinking about a few finished projects. I need to take a few pictures and get them posted for you guys to have a peek.

Sorry to hear you had such a hot and busy day yesterday, CHERYL. I can definitely relate to the 'heat headache' as I've got a bit of one today. Thankfully, I don't have any hay fields around. We have had about double our usual amount of rain so far this Spring/Summer and the farmers around here are complaining about crops getting too much water. I'd send you some if I could. Hope it rains for you soon. :hug:

Have a good evening, chickies. Keep doing the good stuff and I'll see you soon/ :carrot:

Cheryl120
07-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Linda...Hope you are having much cooler weather today. Thank goodness we are much cooler and I have no headache. Still no rain in sight. Only good thing about that, is I don't have to cut the grass.

Brandy...Hope you are having a nice day also and it's not too hot for you.

Got the binding on the quilts today and have already picked the loose threads off of the queen size quilt and got it folded and put away. I have the king size to do next. Going to start doing the french knots on the kids quilt tomorrow. The FD has meetings all day, so it will give me something to do while I wait. Have a good evening.

Cheryl

meowee
07-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi gang . . . it's still too hot to even think around here . . . this is unusual for us. Last Friday was one nice comfy day out of two weeks of misery; hopefully we'll get some more relief soon.

Glad things are a little cooler for you, CHERYL.

See you soon, gang . . . stay cool and keep doing the good stuff. :carrot:

Cheryl120
07-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Hello...Pretty nice day and I was gone most of it. We are going to be hot tomorrow and hotter each day up through the weekend. It's suppose to be 100 on Saturday. Hubby and I are going out for our anniversary and I think a movie.
Any place that has central air is at the top of my list.:D Got the tags for my quilt made on the computer. Went to town to buy the photo transfer paper, bought everything but that.:mad: I will write myself a note and paste it to my forehead.LOL

Linda...Hope you get cooler weather soon. Just think, five months from now we will be complaining about the frigid weather.

Cheryl

meowee
07-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi gang . . . just taking a little break from the "work project" and wishing I could get cooler. At least working from home, I can sit around in my nightie instead of having to wear real clothes. :o

The humidity is so high, it's hard to believe it isn't raining. Oh well, you are absolutely right, CHERYL. It won't be long before we'll be complaining about how cold it is . . . but at least we will know how much we actually weigh.

In the meantime . . . I got a little break at my WWI this morning and I'm actually registering .6 of a pound lost. So I've moved my ticker. Heaven only knows what the scale-:devil: will have to say by this time next week. Summer is so much fun. :dizzy:

Hang in there, gang. Keep moving and shaking and doing the good stuff and by the time we get a "real" weight reading in the Fall, we'll all be sooooo much thinner. See you soon. :carrot:

ArtsyGirl
07-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi ladies,

We've got the worst humidity so far this year today. I skipped my run/walk and opted for a bike ride where I'm moving fast enough to get a breeze. My hubby ran and swore it was raining at one point, but it wasn't!!!! That's humid!

The 4-H'ers glass turned out well and we only had 1 small cut (a glass sliver which unfortunatly are common when cutting all that glass) I think they and their parents are all happy with what they made.

I'm out of here to go sweep the pool, and then take a dive.

Stay cool,

Cheryl120
07-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi Ladies...Sounds like we are all having the same weather, hot and humid. I have such a headache! Feels like it is in a nut cracker. Good news is the fairy fat mother paid me a visit. I'm down 2 pounds!!! Also got my new clothes I ordered today. I only have to send 2 tops back that I don't like how they fit. The petite capris are pants on me and I thought about shortening them, but they have a printed boarder. There are times I hate being only 5'.

Linda...congrats on moving that ticker downward. Always a good feeling.

Brandy...You lucky gal, a pool!!! Can I come and take a dip? Think I would live in it about now. LOL

Lastnight I got the first row of kids hair and eyes done. They really look cute, gave them a bit of a personality. Don't know if I will work on it tonight or not. Take to you later.

Cheryl

ArtsyGirl
07-15-2006, 06:17 AM
off to a long weekend. Be back on Wednesday. Have a great time.

Cheryl120
07-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Brandy...Enjoy your weekend! Have fun and stay cool.

Linda...Hope you are enjoying your weekend as well, have your feet proped up and staying cool.

I'm planning on staying home pretty much the whole weekend. Have a birthday party to go to tomorrow night. It's very hot here, I'm sure hope it cool off by next week. Great news girls, I got the kids quilt top done this afternoon. It is so cute!! Have to match up the backing fabric and sew it together. Should have the quilt to the quilters by Wednesday.

Have a great weekend.

Cheryl

meowee
07-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi gals . . . Another hot, hot day . . . don't even feel like moving . . . have a great weekend doing fun stuff and staying cool and comfy. see you soon. :carrot:

Cheryl120
07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi Gals...Still very hot and humid...Don't feel like doing anything, but be a slug. I have a very busy week ahead with appointments for the FD's and packing for vacation. Haven't stepped on the scales this week, feel pretty water logged.LOL Let you know by the end of the week if the fairy fat mother paid me a visit. Taking the kid quilt to the quilters on Thursday, can't wait to get it back. Have a good week ladies.

Cheryl

Cheryl120
07-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Morning Ladies...First, a great big :welcome3: to Faye.:hug: So happy to have another chickie join us. A little bit about myself...I'm 53 and just celebrated my 34th wedding anniversary. Have two grown children and 7 1/2 grandchildren. We leave next monday morning for the West Coast to visit the kids and grandkids and I can hardly wait. Haven't seen my family in over two years, so I have a lot of spoiling to do. My hubby and I are also foster parents, and we have two teenage girls right now. I use to do a lot of different crafts, but I now do mostly quilting, machine embroidery, counted cross stitch and sewing for the grandkids. I am following WW points and doing well at it. I am also going through menopause and have times when I want to eat anything that isn't nailed down, but I have learned to now lock myself up in my sewing room and sew. It keeps my fingers busy and my mouth shut.:rofl: My exercise of choice is working out to Richard and the gang and walking. Right now I can't workout with Richard till I buy a new VHS player, (RATS!!!)...SOOOOOO I'm walking early in the morning before it gets HOT. I love to swim, but refuse to squeeze into a suit till I reach 250 lbs. Hope to make that goal by next summer. We have a great bunch of gals here and Linda and I are on two other threads that we would love for you to join us there as well. The Over 50 and the 100 lb/1 year.

Linda and Brandy...Woke up to a nice cool breeze, cloudy and it feels wonderful.:D I was hoping we would get the sever thunderstorm, but it passed us by, so no rain. My lawn is so dry, it crunches when you walk on it. Have already gone out for my walk before it gets hot. We are going to be back in the high 90's for the rest of the week. Going to get the house work done today, start packing, have the FD's vaccume the surburan so I can start packing it and tape the side of the aida cloth, so I have something to keep my fingers busy with on vacation. Don't have to worry about my mouth, I'll be yacking like crazy with my folks and the rest of the family.:gossip: Have a good one ladies, stay cool and stay on program. Hugs to you all.:hug:

Cheryl

Cheryl120
07-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Linda and Brandy...Your gonna think I'm nuts, but a gal under gma2one posted a long post here and I welcomed her. Submitted my post and went back to read it on the tread and her post is gone. Can you remove a post??? Going a little :dizzy: . Cheryl

gma22
07-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok ladies, you have NOT gone bonkers. I am kind of a mess today and I went back and deleted the post thinking maybe I shouldn't bug another group of women, but got such a nice welcome from you that I thought I would repost. Forgive me for driving you nuts.

My husband had a major heart attack nearly three years ago and a couple weeks ago was having chest pains. One of the things they did was take a chest xray. They found he had nothing wrong with his heart thank goodness and still don't know what was causing the pain, it went away and we think it may have been a pinched nerve of some kind. Anyway, we got a call from his cardiologist the end of last week and they said they just received his chest xray and they saw a mass on his right lung so yesterday he had to have a catscan. This man is the world to me. Like I said we will have been married 34 years in November. I married him right after I graduated from high school. He is my best friend and just the thought of him having something wrong like this has me an emotional wreck. I have just become comfortable enough not to check to see he is breathing several times a night. He is such a good sport about that and takes it all in stride. I try and keep being worried about him from him because he knows I fall all to pieces about everything. When I posted I thought I could just put everything behind me and forget about it and then when I heard from my dd I was back to square one so I came in and deleted my post to you all since no one had yet posted past mine. I do apologize. Sometimes our heads just don't work right.

I went to the pool this morning and it wasn't even enjoyable. It is the place I go to be able to just let everything float away. We are in the landing pattern for the Memphis International Airport so I swim and watch the FEDEX planes or the NWA planes fly overhead and leave all the worries behind. This morning, the water must be in the upper 80's and miserable. I thought swimming in cold water was hard, too warm water is worse. I did about 35 minutes and was tuckered out so I gave up and came back home. I tried to keep on task thinking about gettting thinner for vacation next year. We are going back to Las Vegas in July of next year and I would like to be down a 100 lbs by then. Watching the planes fly overhead helps me to stick to it!

I would love to continue to post here if you think I haven't gone round the bend too much! :lol:

Cheryl: Thanks for the lovely PM. I appreciate it! If it is in the 90's where you live, you must think you are in **** with Snoop Dog (sorry stupid joke)! I wouldn't imagine it gets near that hot most summers up there! We are in the 100's for the last couple days and like 85% humidity. You can't even breathe and I have to drag around 350 lbs of fat! :lol: Thanks for the compliment about Thomas, too! He is my little pumpkin. He is the only grandchild on his dad's side too and they live across the street from him so he is spoiled, but a sweet well behaved child for being around adults so much. My sil's sister is not married and my son and dil have no children and live in Northwest Indiana. Oh, btw, what program are you using? I am just on a regular old fat and calorie counting. It works best for me I think. Jack and I sit down the week before I go to the commissary (my husband is retired Navy so I buy groceries at the Navy base every other week) and pick out recipes for the following two weeks and then I make a grocery shopping list. He wants to lose about 30 lbs and I have a LONG LONG way to go. I was down to 300 lbs but gained a bunch back during the winter months like an idiot!

You ladies have a great day!

Faye

Cheryl120
07-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Faye...I'm happy to know that I'm not completely bonkers yet.:dizzy: I'd loose my head if it wasn't attached to my shoulders. LOL I'm following Weight Watchers Flex Points and do a lot of cooking out of my Light and Tasty Cookbooks, plus I have lots of reciepes on file. If I hadn't of quit WW two years and thinking I could do it on my own, I'd probably have 100 plus pounds gone by now. We have a lot in common, my hubby is retired from the Marines. He doesn't have heart problem, but is a diabetic. So I try to cook lite and watch what he eats.

We get pretty hot here in North Dakota, usually in July. Right now we are in need of rain so badly. We live on a 10 acre farmstead and I'm so worried that if we get lighting, we could have a grass fire. I'm so looking forward to fall and much cooler weather. I just hope we don't get the winter from ****. We have only lived in North Dakota 7 years and this will be my 8th winter. The winter's have been very mild and I can't imagin snow that is 6 feet high or higher! Think if that happens, and I can make it to the airport, I'd catch a flight out and visit my folks in Oregon. LOL

Hope the test your hubby has will come out OK. I'll keep you both in my prayers. Just keep doing what your doing, swimming to keep your mind off things and posting here, and of course stay out of the cupboards!!

Well this morning I decided to clean my closet out and start packing for the trip. Decided to try on some clothes I haven't been able to wear for YEARS. What a nice surprise I got, I was able to get into 4 dress, 3 pairs of pants and 2 tops.:D I have to shorten the pants, so I might do that on Friday or wait till I get out to Oregon and have my Mom help me. Such a good feeling to get into a smaller size.

Well I will chat with you later.

Cheryl

gma22
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM

Cheryl: How cool to have someone who understands the ole military life! Nothing compares to it, especially the Navy/Marines. My husband had been in the military 3 years when we married so I spent 17 years in the military with him. What did your husband do in the marines and where were you guys stationed? My husband was in avionics and were stationed at NAS Oceana, Norfolk, Miramar (when it was still a Navy base) Jack was on recruiting duty in New Mexico and Tx and he taught aviation electronics to kids in Memphis at what used to be Naval Air Station Memphis and now houses all the pay records and whatnot no schools anymore. Congrats on the clothing issues. I just have to buckle down and keep at it. Jack bought me a ring for my birthday in September and it came today and is a little big, which is nice to know. I can't buy a smaller size because my knuckles are too big from arthritis, but it is nice to know I can still wear a size 7 and it be loose. Keeping my fingers crossed that you guys get rain. We desperately need it here too. :stress: We will cloud up and then nothing. Won't be long until everything is dead and it is too hot to go out and sit on the deck and eat dinner. The bugs are bad and you suffocate!

We are having "snake meat" for dinner tonight. It is out of the Fix it and Forget it Lightly cookbook. It is light smoked sausage in chili sauce and cranberry sauce, sort of sweet and sour. I have had it with meatballs using chili sauce and grape jelly, but never this way. We try recipes and toss the ones we don't like. I made Coq Au Vin a week ago and it was totally nasty. The burgundy wine turned the chicken breasts this awful gray color and the sauce was nasty tasting. I do like beef burgundy, we had that last night over potatoes.

I am waiting to hear from the cardiologist. The lady said she would give the nurse the message and she would call me back. I want to go upstairs and clean the bathrooms and dust, but I don't want to miss the call climbing the stairs if it rings. This old body just can't run up those stairs. I guess I have run out of excuses why not to go upstairs, so ttfn. I will talk to you all later. (oh, I am a transplanted Yankee girl. I grew up in South Bend, Indiana and we moved down here 4 years ago to be near my grandson and so Jack could take on this great paying job with the City of Memphis. Jack is from Las Cruces, NM)

Faye:cool: :beach: **The doctor just called and said his CT came back normal and it is just come lung calcification. I can now breathe a sigh of relief! :faint:

Cheryl120
07-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Faye...Jim was in the Marines 2 years before we married, so I have 18 years under my belt. He started out with artillery for 4 years and then went into Intelligence. Still don't know to this day exactly what he did, and he won't say. I just know that he had a top,top secret clearance and always had a bag packed. He'd get a call and be gone. We were stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, 29 Palms, Camp Pendleton, El Toro Air Station and Tustin Air Station in California and Okinawa, Japan. We spent 16 years between El Toro, Tustin and Jim going overseas every 3 years for 13 months. Had we known that everytime Jim would come back from overseas, we would end back at El Toro or Tustin, we would of bought a house and made a killing. Have to say I miss the military life and the friends we made, but love having my husband home. Jim works for the state as a correction officer. We are so looking forward to him retiring at 62, and moving back out to Oregon to be near our family. Only 6 more years to go.
We also are into classic chevys and are restoring a 1957 Chevy Convertible.
That and having 7 acres to mow, keeps him pretty busy.

How did your "Snake Meat" turn out? I have several of the Fix It and Forget It lightly cook books. I write the date I try the recipe, and if it was good or not. I also include the WW points for that dish.

So happy to hear you had a good report from the doctor. What a relief!!!

Talk to you later.:hug:

Cheryl

gma22
07-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Good morning gals! Boy, it is steamy when you go to bed and steamy when you get up and I have been up since 3 AM. {{{menopause}}} what a pain! I let Fortune (our yorkie) out at 3 and it is awful outside. Our poor ac is sure getting a workout and the bill is going to empty our pockets! :lol: I refuse to be hot though.

Cheryl: Jack works for the city of Memphis as an electrician/electronics technician. He has been there 4 years and he doesn't love it, but it pays very well and we can take vacations and such. We moved every three years so we never bought a house until after he retired. We decided to just wait until the kids were both out of the house and we bought the condo when we moved down here from my dd and sil who had just bought this huge house! We like it because we have no yard work to deal with and we never have to paint the outside or do any kind of landscaping etc. The bad thing is that when the elderly people pass away here the condos are bought by investors and then rented so you end up with renters all over the place. I guess you have to take the good with the bad, but the nice thing is the two men that own the condos on each side of us have put in big $$$$ into their property and only rent to people who behave themselves. We had trash living next to us and they moved several months ago, an investor bought it on a foreclosure and I bet he has put $20,000 into it. Poor man had to replace all the flooring, all the doors, the ceiling fans, the toilets and sinks, etc. The scum tore the place to bits. That doesn't count the money he spent clearing the garage. They moved out and left the garage full to the brim of garbage. I made him promise me he would rent to decent people or I would be calling and harrassing him!

Cheryl, do both your kids live out west? I looked back at your post and you said your folks live in Oregon? Both Jack's and I's parents are gone. Jack's parents have been gone 30 years and 17 years and my dad 30 yrs and my mom 9 years. Jack only has one sister that lives in Lubbock TX, but I have three siblings, my brother lives in Manteno, IL close to Chicago, my older sister in Northwest Indiana and my younger sister lives in Southern California. I chuckled at how much we have in common. I will be 53 in Sept and we have two kids too, but you are lucky and have lots of grandkids! My dd and sil aren't having but the one, but I wish my son and dil would get started. I would like another little boy and one girl for my husband.

Linda and Brandy: Hello to you. Hope to see you post soon so I can get to know you!

I better get going. I want to finish my morning chores before Jack gets up and goes to work. He gets up at 5, but then he gets home at 3:30 so that is always nice. I have upstairs cleaning to do today so I want to get started on the bathrooms and the dusting early before it gets too hot. Maybe I will do it right after I come back from the pool.

Have a good day girls and try and stay cool!

Faye

akrosey49
07-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey evryone.. i havent posted in awhile..im rosey from alaska..was wondering if anyone has heard from meowee.. we post in the diabetic section and shes been awol for a few days..hope shes ok..Hi faye.. nice to meet you and glad your hubbys ok..ive been married for 37 yrs and have 2 married daighters and 4 wonderful grkids..i follow ww's with a diabetic twist..and i love to craft.. crocheting, sewing ,quilting,scrapbooking,cardmaking beading ,counted cross stitch etc etc crafting keeps me sane.. well im rambling.. ill try and be more regular in my posts here..have agreat day (((((((hugs))))))) rosey :wave:

Cheryl120
07-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi Ladies...What a day I have had:dizzy: I've been on the go since 7 this morning. Had to take Ozzy to the doggie spa this morning. He is so happy to have the fur gone and much cooler for him. While he was at the spa, I went to the park and found some shade and read a book for an hour and a half. Picked Ozzy up and headed home to pick up the FD for her appointment. Got home and hubby said the social worker called to say the other FD had an appointment the next morning at 10. We are suppose to get our hair cut at 10 and 10:30, so I called and changed the appointment to 3 and 3:30 today. Well the FD was with the doctor from 1:20 to 3:20, so I had to call and change it to 3:30 and 4 for tomorrow. I should make it if nothing else goes wrong. There is 60 miles difference between the two appointments and mostly on gravel roads, so I can't drive like a bat out of bleep. LOL

Hey ladies, guess what! We are having the most beautiful, refreshing rain ever!!! Can't tell you how wonderful it is and we needed it so badly!!! Thank you Lord.

Stepped on the scales this morning and no change, so I'm happy with that.:D

Faye...Jim feels the same way as Jack does, but the money and benefits are good. I do worry about him being on the floor with another officer and 100 inmates, but so far no problems as yet.
All of my family, parents, siblings and children live in Oregon. My son lives in Hillsboro and my daughter lives in Portland. My daughter has 4 girls, ages 17, 15, 7, and 2. My son has a daughter 8, 2 boys 6 and 2 and one due in Oct.

Rosey...I was wondering what happen to you. How are things in Alaska? How's WW going for you? I've been doing good this time around. Think it finally clicked in my head. No, I haven't heard from Linda in a couple of days. I hope she is alright. I know she had a work project she was working on.

Well gals, I'll be up at 4:30 to get hubby off to work and I'm on the road by 9 and will be gone all day. Have a good one and I'll try to check back tomorrow.

Cheryl :hug:

gma22
07-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Good morning gals! Cheryl, I am jealous. It got all dark and cloudy yesterday and then just moved on through with no rain. We desperately need rain. It is like living in the Sahara here lately.

Rosey: Hey, great to meet you! Everybody seems to live up north! You also have more grandbabies than I have. I think I should steal the new one when Cheryl's dil has hers in Oct. She already has 7, she won't miss one...;) I do so want more grandkids, but like I said, my dd is not having anymore and my son and dil haven't started yet. They have been married 2.5 years so hopefully it won't be long. She is a pharmacist though and is busy all the time. Boy, if you have the smarts, that is the occupation to go into. I guess you can right your ticket as to benefits etc and the pay is superb. I guess the country is short something like 75,000 pharmacists. Now you know why it takes so long to get your drugs at the drugstore! :lol: I feel so lucky that I have neither thyroid problems nor diabetic ones. My mother was diabetic as well as had thyroid problems, both my sisters thyroids are screwed up. My nephew has type one and has since he was diagnosed at 12, my brother is diabetic too. I have two things wrong with me, too fat and MENOPAUSE the scurge of older women! :mad: I decided about 18 months ago to start charting menstrual cycles so I could see if it was changing and it is, but it takes time and I am miserable.

Cheryl: What kind of dog is Ozzie? Our little doggy and cat are spoiled rotten. I don't see my grandson a lot (whole long story about that) so my pets are my substitute kids. Fortune is a little yorkie and Butterscotch is this big huge Garfield cat. He terrorizes my poor dog. Fortune WILL fight back when the cat finally p***** him off though. Jack found B 3 years ago outside the plant at work. The plant is way out in the boonies and there are coyotes etc out there. Here was this poor little kitten with its eye all messed up all alone. I told him just to bring him home and now he is part of the family and thinks he's a person. The other night the noodlehead got into some trouble! I had a load of laundry in the dryer and I was, as usual, doing two things at once. I had opened the dryer door to see if the clothes were dry and they weren't quite but the stupid screws had come out of the top of the dishwasher again and the thing had tipped forward on Jack so I went rushing to help him. We got the thing screwed back into the countertop and I went back, shut the door on the dryer, and restarted it and went back to finishing up wiping down the countertops, stove etc. The dryer was thumping, like when you have tennies in them. It must have gone around about 4-5 times when I heard a YEOW-MEOW and said, "Oh my God!":eek: and rushed over and opened the door. Butterscotch was tangled all up in the clothes in the dryer. Poor thing probably thought he was on an amusement park ride! After it was all over I just sat and cried. Jack kept telling me he was ok, but all I could think of was what if I had shut it and we had left the house. I would have killed him! Moral of the story is A: Don't leave the dryer door open and B: Check the dryer before starting it if you do!

Have a good day everybody!

Faye

ArtsyGirl
07-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi ladies-I'm back from my mini vacation, and really not too happy about it. Wish we could have stayed away longer but I guess that's life. We did have a wonderful time.

Faye-nice to have a new person in our little group. Your story about the cat in the dryer brought back memories for me. When we were young a neighbor kid talked my brother into getting into the dryer, well then the little monster slammed the door, stood pushing against it so my bro couldn't get out and turned the darn thing on. I remember racing to get mom and my bro for about an hour after the incident just sat there and said "I go round and round". Its funny in retrospect, but not at the time.

Cheryl-sounds like you're busy as ever with appointments and what not. I'm glad you found the time to just enjoy a book in the shade. That's one of my favorite summer indulgences.

rosey-glad to hear from you again. I do hope that Linda is ok. Her last few posts seemed like she was stressed way out. Hope she checks in soon

Have a great day ladies.

gma22
07-22-2006, 06:07 AM
Good morning ladies. We had thunderstorm watches all around us, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, but nothing for our county. Not a drip of rain! This is starting to get serious. I just looked at the weather and it shows thundershowers at 6 am, but sunny by 7 so it isn't going to be a long one if we get anything at all.

Brandy: I am a huge CSI (Las Vegas) fan and one of their old episodes is about two kids who think it would be fun to ride in a laundromat dryer and the one kid ends up dead. Kids are sometimes stupid creatures when it comes to common sense, but then who says adults are any better? If we were, the country wouldn't be cigarette, alcohol and drug addicted. Oh and I forgot, FAT!!!

I am more than miffed about my eye dr appt. Seems the stupid City of Memphis in March of 2005 changed over to a new computer system. I guess when October rolled around, those people who physically didn't go back down to benefits and sign BACK up during open enrollment got dropped. No one told ANY of the employees that some people might have problems and I was one of those dropped so I have NO insurance until January of next year. On top of that, Jack has to go downtown in October and sign me back up again! UGH! When Jack called and talked to someone down there the attitude was, "Oh well, you know what happens." Jack told the woman, you weren't doing your job. She said, "Well, we knew that this program would cause problems, but we of course didn't know who it would affect." He told her they had NO paper trail or anything indicating the people who needed to resign and she said basically that stuff happens. No apology, nothing. GRRRRRR! I am now going to have to pay about $250 out of pocket to get my exam, fitting and 6 months of contacts! I usually pay around $80.

I just finished a great book. A few years back there was a movie with Denzil Washington and Angelina Jolie called the "Bone Collector." The author of the book that movie was based on, Jeffrey Deaver, is the man who wrote Cold Moon the book I just finished. Everytime I would think I knew WHY the antagonist was killing people, something else would happen and I was wrong. It was a great book and one of those page turners you didn't want to put down. I have 10 books on order, 4 have been shipped and should be here soon. I hope so as I am down to my last book. I am one of those one time only readers, so it is really a waste of money to buy books, but the library here only gives you 7 days for new books and the closest library has limited hours. I would be running to the library all the time so I said, "to heck with it" and started buying them again. When I get a box full, I take them to our library and donate them.

Nothing earth shattering going on today. We should go to the precinct and vote early, but the bedding is supposed to come today by FedEx and they always make me sign. I don't want to have to run it down next week so I am staying home until it gets delivered. We have a wacky primary with some having party affiliations and some no party affiliations. It is also a huge ballot AND there are new voting machines so the lines for early voting have been really long. Jack is taking off next Friday for a physical therapy appt so maybe we can go after he gets home.

Everybody have a wonderful weekend and try and stay cool!

Faye

Cheryl120
07-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Ladies,

Brandy...Glad you had a nice mini vacation even though you hated to go back to work. I can't wait to leave on vacation, but I always hate to come back, especially if I'm visiting family.

Faye...Sorry to hear you are having insurance problems. Very irritating when people don't do their jobs and don't care how it effects YOU, but if it happen to them, they would be yelling!!!

It was wonderful to get some much needed rain and it layed the dust down on the gravel road. I get so tired of dusting the furniture all the time, that some days I just say to heck with it and go sew. Only bad thing about having rain, is the bugs are back. I got bit three times on my left ankle/foot yesterday afternoon and it's the first time I had an allergic reaction. Right away it turned bright red, with red streakes up my leg. Felt like I was on fire and boy did it itch. I was on my way to my hair appointment and stopped at my friends house and got an ice pack and benadryl. By the time I finally got home, my foot was three times it's normal size. Spent lastnight soaking it in a pan of water and trying to get some relief from the pain and wanting so bad to just scratch the dickens out of it, but I didn't. Someone should invent a sandpaper sock. LOL....Got up this morning and it still itches and is still swollen, but not as bad. I can't get my shoe on, but hopefully by tomorrow I can. Had lots of meetings with the FD yesterday morning and I dropped my quilt off at the quilt shop for the lady that does the machine quilting to pick up. Showed the quilt off at the quilt shop and everyone loved it. This afternoon we pack the car up for our trip since Jim has to work a double shift tormorrow, so I will be able to relax tomorrow. I love to read as well. I've done more reading since becoming a foster parent, and right now am reading "The Quilting Circle".
Well gals I need to get busy and finish packing.
Cheryl

Cheryl120
07-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Faye...I'm alittle frazzled:dizzy: Ozzy is a very spoiled poodle and doesn't know he is a dog. He's my baby and goes everywhere with me. I even have a sleeping bag we keep in the car for him to get into when it is 30 below. We also have a very spoiled cat. She is called a tortis (orange, black and white). Her name is Princess and she lives up to it!! The doctor put her on a diet since she is 16 lbs, but so far she hasn't lost any weight. I had a good laugh over your cat and the dryer. Thank goodness you were home and it was only a 5 minute experience!!! It could easily happen to Princess. She crawles into anything left open to take a nap, and if there is something to cuddle up on, all the better.

Cheryl

gma22
07-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Good morning girls! It is at least a bit cooler here this morning. The power just flicked on and off and knocked me off. That was weird. Blew one of the light bulbs in the fixture over my head! Poor Jack, he does so lovvvvveeeeee to have to change the light bulbs in the kitchen fixtures. We put in all new fixtures when we bought the condo and these are great looking but a pain to change the bulbs. A couple years ago because of several fires in the condos, we had to have an electrician come in and do some kind of rewiring to a bunch of stuff. Since then, the kitchen bulbs don't last long. Jack says it is because you wear out the filament turning them on and off so much.

Cheryl: Have fun on your trip and with you family. I know you will enjoy it. Our poochy is spoiled too. He has his own carseat even. It is pretty cool. It is big box shaped, and has a notch cut out both sides in the back where you run the seatbelt through. You can then attach him to it by a harness. He can watch out the windows and lay in it. When we take him on trips, it keep from me having to hold him all the time, because he always wants someone to hold him. Butterscotch has princess beat. He weighs about 23 lbs! HUGE cat. I have him on weight management cat food, but it doesn't seem to help. He is neutered and I was told neutered males can get chubby.

My new bedding set came yesterday and it is so gorgeous. I got a real deal on it too! I am big into sales and saving money! This was originally $275 and I bought it for $130. You know how you order something and it comes and it is much cheaper looking, or flimsy or something, well this was as it looks. Very rich fabric, heavy, good stitching and such. The colors are vibrant, the tasseling on the pillows is very expensive looking. I bought it because the one I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond when we bought the new bed earlier this year was too small. The comforter just didn't fit. Jack isn't too keen on the pillow shams, but I told him I would personally remove his pillow every night when I come upstairs so it doesn't bother him. MEN! They think a blanket and pillow and they are all set. He has learned over the years to keep him mouth shut though! I have made it quite clear the house is MY domain! :lol: We recently totally redecorated his office. He is an Indiana University fan and when we bought the condo he insisted we paint the walls cream and the trim crimson. It looked like someone had been killed in there! I always hated it. I knew I had to let him choose colors, but the man is awful! He picked this gross orange color and I finally slid him around to gray walls and navy trim and even picked colors with military names (cadet gray and Navy blue) So now it looks gorgeous instead of disgusting and he thinks it was his idea.

Well he came downstairs so time to fix breakfast.

Have a good day gals!

Faye

Cheryl120
07-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi Ladies...thought I'd pop in before I finish some last minute packing. The FD's are swimming this afternoon so I could have some time to myself. Jim will be home at 4, so I need him to finish packing the car before he takes a nap and goes back to work at 9. I still need to vaccume, clean the bathroom and get the garbage out, then I can sit back and put my feet up.

Faye...Love your new comforter. Nice rich colors. Yes, I will have a great vacation and get plenty of spoiling time in with the grandkids.

Linda, Brandy and Rosie...Hope you gals are doing well and trying to stay on program and cool if it's hot where you are at.

If I have a chance to check-in while on vacation, I will. Hugs to you all.:hug:

Cheryl

gma22
07-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Good morning ladies! Just a quick peek in before I get started cleaning for the day. I have the daily chores done, but I want to get some of my weekly cleaning done and double up this week. We kind of have a busy week and I don't want to leave things undone. I didn't get anything done over the weekend as I usually do on Sunday afternoon while Jack watches NASCAR. I sat and watched it too and didn't get anything done.

Cheryl: Hope you have loads of fun and stay safe on your trip!

Everyone else have a great day and I will check back later.

Faye

akrosey49
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Morning everyone..still watching grkids.. i put them to work this am.. dishes and vacumming which they did as long as sponge bob was on.. thats a weird cartoon but they love it..im a bit tired today.. nothing planned and havent been able to do any crafts lately:?: still have not heard from meowee..have agreat day evryone ((((((((hugs))))))) rosey :wave:

gma22
07-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Whew I am now officially pooped! I have been having a myriad of menopause symptoms and insomnia has been part of that going on about a week now, so I feel all dragged out. I did go to the pool and did 45 minutes of laps also cleaned the kitchen, downstairs bathroom, laundry room, dining room and living room. I even have baked steak in the crockpot with baby carrots for dinner. Jack will want mashed potatoes, but since he has this "thing" about how I peel potatoes I make him do it! He doesn't like the way I cut up onions either so that is another job he gets full time! Tomorrow is mopping day downstairs then it will all be cleaned downstairs. Wednesday is dusting and bathrooms cleaned upstairs and Thursday is vacuuming upstairs than I will be done for the week. Jack is off Friday for a PT appt so we are going to go to the commissary since it is on the way after he is done. Saturday the car has to go into the shop because the darn ac fan has quit and that will take all day then Sunday we are taking our grandson to Chuck E Cheese for a couple hours.

Rosey: Hope you are feeling a little less tired. I sure know how that is. I have not done scrapbooking for probably a year now, though I told Jack I want to get the photos off the computer and into books from our Vegas vacations. We have one with wedding pictures from 2004 of my son's wedding and then we went last year and I have all of those. I would like to have an album for each year we go. We didn't get to go this year, in fact, with Jack's doctor's appts and such we didn't take a vacation at all this year except we are going to my son and dil's the middle of September and going to a CUBS game. At this points I don't want to go even though I forked out almost $200 for tickets because they stink so very badly this year, but my son wants to go so we will go.

We have already started our saving and planning for Vegas next year. We hope to go over 4th of July for 8 days. Everyone thinks we are nuts to go that long, but it is our only vacation each year and we fly first class so I have to make it worth our while. We flew coach to our son's wedding and first class last year and I will NEVER fly coach again on a flight that long. It is murder, especially for a fat woman! With first class, I have no one but Jack to share a row with, the seats are lots wider too as is the leg room so my legs don't go numb being squished into the seat. From where we live it is a 4.5 hour direct flight and that is horrible enough.

Well, I see Jack should be home any minute so I am going to thicken the sauce on the baked steak.

Everyone have a super day!

Faye

akrosey49
07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Faye..i sure can relate about the airplane seats they are not made for short women with a weight problem and i cant afford 1st class.so squished i am when i do fly and im miserable and the bathrms are to small :o so i dont eat ot drink when i fly..ive been to reno but not vegas.. that's a adream of mine..im jealous..i havent done any crafts lately as iv had to much company..and of course when the grkids are here i spend my time playing and catering to them..i love it even if i do get tired..sorry the big"M" is bothering you.. im all done with that and glad of it.. but i do have trouble sleeping from a back injury..your dinner sounds lovely and wtg by making yout hubby do the potatoes the way he likes:rofl:i like that attitude..i need lessons in attitude:D have agreat day everyobe (((((((hugs)))))))) rosey :wave:

gma22
07-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Good morning gals! Another night of little sleep so I am more tired than when I went to bed. Maybe I can grab a quick nap sometime today.

Rosey: When I started researching prices for Vegas year before last for last years vacation, I found that though Memphis is centrally located, getting a flight to Vegas is not easy. You can get them, but the times are all terrible and the prices outrageous. Northwest, which has a hub here, wanted nearly $900 and I looked at Airtran and round trip first class/business class was only $400 more total so Jack said to go ahead. Now the tickets are currently, $1700 total round trip, but coach has gone up significantly too because of the gas situation. You can get great deals in Vegas on hotels if you know when to go. Go middle of summer when it is the hottest or the two weeks before Christmas and there are a few days in January and Feb I think. Also, the last two years we went we stayed at an off strip hotel called the Orleans, much cheaper and the rooms are huge. It is a very big hotel/casino, has 14 restaurants or something like that, a movie theater, a BOWLING alley, a game room for kids and even babysitting service. They have a shuttle that goes to their sister properties and one of them is dead center on the strip so the first year we didn't rent a car but would ride the shuttle to the strip and walk one way one day and one way the next. That was in April though and I wouldn't want to do that in July! I got a flyer right before we went last year and called to see if I could get the sale price on the reservation I had already made and got the rooms for $29 a night Sunday-Thur and $89 on Friday and Saturday. On top of that I had coupons for buffets and such too. The one truly outrageous thing there is the shows. You can see less expensive ones around $30 apiece, but shows like Barry Manilow or Celine Dion can be upwards of $250-$300 APIECE! We usually do two shows. We went to a Cirque de Soleil show that was marvelous and Penn and Teller, which was expensive and awful though we had front row seats and I got to help with a magic trick. Until we moved down here 4 years ago, we could never afford a vacation so we now just save all year long and take it and our tax refund and go to sin city. Though we like to gamble, we have 11 casinos just 40 miles from here in Tunica, MS so gambling is not the reason we go. We just love the city and the sites and everything. We had this great routine. We would get up at 5 AM go down and have the graveyard breakfast special ( you could get a nice steak and eggs, potatoes and toast for $2.95!!, Ham steak the size of a dinner plate with eggs potatoes and toast for the same price, biscuits and gravy was less than a $ and eggs and bacon or sausage was $1.95) then come back up to the room and go back to bed until 10 AM, get up, cleaned up and go site seeing until around 1 PM come back to the room and get our suits on and go to the pool for a couple hours, then take a nap, go to dinner and go back out to pubs or site seeing or whatever in the evening. One of our favorite things to do was sit at the pool and people watch. They have this huge pool area and comfortable lounge chairs. Jack would go to the pool bar and get us a frozen margarita or a pina colada and we would just sit and watch people. As you can tell from the fact I go everyday, I LOVE to swim, but the pool wasn't heated and really really cold. Jack wouldn't go in it so I usually would go in for a few minutes then sit with him and people watch. Boy the things you see! Everything from near naked women to old men in speedos with blubber hanging so far over you couldn't see the suit to older ladies who thought they were 20 and would wear a bikini with a roll of fat hanging over the suit and their boobs practically falling out. There was this one lady last year, who was middle 50's at least and had THE most beautiful one piece suit on. She was slender, and it was black and pink and just gorgeous. She had beautiful white hair cut in a bob and looked better than the 20 somethings in there barely there suits.

Well, I hear Jack up showering so I better quit yakking. Anyone gets me on the topic of Vegas and I talk for ever about it.

Have a great day gals!

Cheryl, hope you are having fun, Brandy, Linda hope to talk to you soon!

Faye

gma22
07-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Good morning gals! Boy it is back to being sticky again. Yesterday early morning it was nice and cool. In fact, the pool was cool when I got in, but I took out the garbage at 5:15 and it is hot and humid. It says it is 77, but it feels a lot hotter than that.

I made my grandson some "brookies" to take to him on Sunday when we go to pick him up to take him to Chuck E Cheese. They are brownie/cookies and are really good, especially if you like chocolate. They are chewy chocolate cookies and have chocolate buttercream icing.

My dd called last night and told us her husband got the job he has been wanting at FEDEX. He starts the middle of August. He graduates from Memphis University in December with his Computer Science degree and he had been planning on leaving the IT department of the Postal Inspector anyway as he put it, "my days are numbered there as they are laying people off." It is pretty big money I guess and he used to work at FEDEX years ago in the shipping department so it would not be a totally new company for him to work for. I think I was told by a former employee that went back to work for FEDEX that if you had worked for them before and returned then your benefits would start immediately and you wouldn't have to wait. They have great health insurance and stuff so that is good for my dd and Tom and Thomas.

I need to go and start working upstairs. I got out of bed when the alarm went off and came down and let Fortune out so the bed isn't made. Thought I might as well just go up and do the cleaning while I was up there. I know it is good exercise, but for a fat woman it takes it out of you climbing the stairs!

Have a good day girls!

Faye

gma22
07-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Just a quick note to bring us up to the front page. Hope everyone is doing well this week.

For those of you older ladies who may have heard of this, I am contemplating joining a Red Hat Society chapter. I am going to one of their luncheons in a couple weeks and I look forward to it. Memphis has several chapters so if I don't fit in with the first one, I will try another one. I know a lot of people think these women are total kooks, but in truth they are just over 50 and want to have a little fun in their life and make new friends. I can always use that.

I am going to go upstairs in a bit and vacuum the upstairs than I have 3 whole days of cleaning freedom before I begin again. I "clean" everyday with what I call daily chores, but I have the actual weekly cleaning broken up into days, though I double up on some days or if I am not feeling up to it, don't do something than double up the next day. My house is never dirty and I HATE clutter so it is never ever ever cluttered, but I am one of those women who feels insecure about her home all the time so I keep it pretty clean, as much as you can with a cat, dog, and husband in the house. Though I must say, after all these years my dh knows what will set me off so he doesn't leave stuff laying around, shoes are always put where there are supposed to be and the clothes are always put in the hamper etc. My comfort zone is order and organization so Jack tries to help me feel comfortable by keeping things picked up etc.

Jack has a PT appt tomorrow morning so he is taking off work. I get him all to myself for three days. I can't tell you how happy I will be when he can retire from the city and stay home all the time. He still has 9 years though. I do miss him so. He is my best friend. He was funny. He told me yesterday that he loves going on trips with me and I said something about how I liked the trips we took to Philadelphia and Houston and Vegas, etc. He said, no he meant actually riding in the car with me going to some place. He said I always enjoy sitting in the car and talking to you. I thought it was funny because most men don't LIKE to talk and he is pretty introverted.

Well, I am going to skeddadle. Everyone have a good day!
I am going to the pool in about an hour. It is cooler during the overnight so the pool water is not as hot as it was a more refreshing to exercise in.

Faye

meowee
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi there, Crafty Ladies -- I have not dropped off the face of the planet, although there have been moments when that didn't seem like too bad an idea.

Just absolutely not time to myself the past couple of weeks and no break in sight until the major portion of this work-project is finished up (another two or three weeks). As well as the work and the stinking, hot and humid weather, I've got an ongoing car problem that keeps me running to the dealership every couple of days. One very expensive repair turned out to be defective and we are now waiting for a replacement (no charge this time, at least) to arrive. To top things off, I've got the grandaddy of all yeast infections and I just cannot seem to shake it -- combination of stress and heat, I guess -- and my cataracts are really acting up, too. Finally have the surgery scheduled but it isn't until the end of March.

It's not all bad -- my BS readings are OK (surprisingly, in light of the yeast infection) and I actually lost 2.2 pounds this past week -- will wonders never cease.

Here's a great big welcoming :hug: for you Faye -- Hope to get to know you better once I'm done with all this craziness.

For the rest of you :hug: -- sorry I had you worried -- I will try to pop in once in a while over the next couple of weeks, but forgive me if I'm not here too often. As the saying goes . . . I will be back! In the meantime, ladies, just keep doing all the good stuff and the rewards will surely follow. :carrot:

gma22
07-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Linda, if you peek in, eat yogurt everyday for awhile and it might help with the yeast infection. Something about the cultures in yogurt kill and keep away the bacteria that causes yeast infections! Hope you get to feeling better soon and can get your work mess and car mess all under control.

Faye

gma22
07-31-2006, 07:36 AM
I thought I better post again before we get stuck onto the third page! Come on gals, let's hear from you! I know that Cheryl is still gone, but there are several more of you we could hear from.

The lady moved in on Friday next door to us and has been banging away on the walls since then, I assume hanging pictures and stuff up. So far no trouble and I don't know whether she has kids or not, but I haven't heard any.

Chuck E was ok yesterday though I didn't see him anywhere around except on the tv screens. They have a mechanical one that sings with the tv stuff and this one little boy that was going to a birthday party was terrified of it. Instead of being nice and trying to make him understand his shrew of a mother got mad at him and told him to straighten up or they would go home. I wanted to wring her neck the old bat. He was only about 4. When we went to pick up Thomas he was sitting on the couch and said, "It's about time!" I told him we were early and he said something about it being 9:53! He got his shoes and was ready to go. Thomas and his granddad did the playing and I stood guard over the food and table. They would bring me back the tickets they won. He had a grand time and he wanted us to take him to the movies when we finished but I told him we couldn't and we would do it another time. He had 521 tickets and got a lovely bunch of junk for it! We paid $30 for tokens and the stuff was probably worth about $1.50! I love spending time with him and now that he is older it is even more fun. He is well behaved and obedient, doesn't throw fits when it is time to leave. We went through the car wash on the way home and I told his granddad that Thomas looked a little dirty to roll his window down! "No, no, no, I'm not dirty!" he laughed. I asked him if he was sure he didn't want a little bath and hair wash.

I have to try and get Jack's insurance claims on his PT appts straightened out. Either the PT place is billing wrongly or Tricare is. They have refused all the claims so far and I saw that it is being billed under our son's name, which is Jack III instead of JR. I already called Tricare once about this, but looks like I am going to have to do it again. I am also going to call Healthsouth and find out how they are billing as it may be their fault. I guess our son and dd remain on the deers list (that is the list for military and their dependents) even when they are no longer eligible. I guess DEERS, which is an acronym for something shows them having expired eligibility. I asked her if they couldn't be taken off and she said no! Stupid system in my opinion.

I now have the birthday and anniversary presents shipped off that I almost forgot and my sil wants money for his birthday as he wants to buy himself a pair of Clarks shoes with it so that will be easy. My birthday is Sept so I won't have another one until Oct, which is Jack's, who gets his present from me early as he wants an I-Pod to take to Indiana and Jay, who has his the 22nd and I may get him some nice dress shirts and ties since he just got the new job he wanted.

Our son called us yesterday and I asked him first thing if he was now gainfully employed in a new job and he said yes! I was so happy for him. He really wanted this job. It is a nice step up from his last sales position with the spa company and it is a foot in the door to better things along the way. It is really good money and commission, he gets a company car, expense account etc. He said he has a trade show to do the day we leave for Indiana in Chicago so he will be home late, but I told him that would be fine, not to worry about it. We would wait up for him, then Thursday we all troop back to Chicago for the CUBS game. They have won 4 in a row now, so I am hoping maybe they are going to turn around and the money I spent for tickets won't be wasted! We have to wade through August first though. I have 6 weeks until we get to go see our son.

Gotta go and check the laundry. Have a great day!

Faye

ArtsyGirl
07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Good morning ladies, glad to be a bit more relaxed this week. I thought last week would kill me. It didn't but the heat and humidity still might do it!!!!

Linda-so glad you're ok. Take care of that yeast infection. If you want to try a natural solution PB8 and oil of oregano are a great combination you could get at a health food store.

Faye-my goodness you are busy! I'm tired from just reading about all you're up to!

As for me, I'm going to a Kenny Rogers and the Oak Ridge Boys concert at our local county fair tonight!!!! It gonna be hotter than heck, but I'm gonna have fun!

Cheryl120
08-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi Ladies...I'm baaaaaack!!! I sure missed you all!!! Just a quick check in for tonight. Been on the road for 12 hours today, so I'm tired and crabby. Haven't stepped or thought about stepping on the scales for 2 weeks, I'll do that tomorrow, but I'm expecting a gain. My feet have been swollen the whole two weeks, just glad to be home and getting back into my old routine.

Cheryl

gma22
08-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Good morning girls! Hope your day has started out well. It is horribly hot here already and it looks like the rain will be all around us and we won't get a drop of it. The weatherman says upper 90's to 100's all week so it is going to be miserable for awhile yet. My poor grandson starts school today so I hope their AC is running well at the school.

Cheryl: Good to see you back! Get some water into you and get your feet propped up and the swelling will go down. It is always hard to come back from vacation because there is always so much to do. I always dread it. Hope you had fun with all of your family! We missed you here.

I did something to my shoulder and neck last night and had a sleepless night. I got up around 3 and put some Icy Hot on it and took some Advil, but it still hurts this morning. On top of that, my allergies are so bad with this heat that I don't sleep with that either. I am just a mess I guess! :lol:

I have been fighting the insurance company about Jack's PT sessions. They have been trying to bill under my son as a patient and he is 33 and is not eligible for our insurance and hasn't been for years and years. I have called them no less than 4 times and the last time I got mad. The woman told me not to raise my voice at her and I told her she needed to open her ears and LISTEN then. The dope kept asking me if my son was in the service. I said HE ISN'T EVEN THE PATIENT, DON'T YOU LISTEN!!!! I finally got an "Oh," after going through it about half dozen times. I finally gave up, wrote letters and sent the denied claims to their claims office AND to our local service center hoping one of them will get it cleared up. I have also had to repeatedly call the PT place to let them know I am trying to get it straightened out. SHEESH!

I need to get going and finish a couple chores before I go to the pool. I don't know how long I am going to be able to swim with my shoulder hurting, but maybe it will loosen it up and make it feel better if I take it easy.

Have a good day!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi...I missed you all as well. Been on the go all day, but tomorrow I can prop my feet up and get caught up reading my mail.:D My feet are not as swollen as they were yesterday, but still hard trying to cram my feet into my shoes.

It's hot here also, 90's and no rain in sight. Hubby and the FD's mowed the weeds today, just have some weed wacking to do tomorrow and the yard will look half way decent.

Faye...I hope you are feeling better and the swim helped. Hope you also get the insurance problem fixed.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I was up 4 lbs, but not a surprise. I ate pretty good and had a couple cadillac margaritas. Won't take me long to get it off, since some of it is water weight.

Had a wonderful time visiting family and taking the FD's to the Oregon coast, Crater Lake and a jet boat trip down the Rogue River. Hubby went deep sea fishing with our son and caught their limit in three hours. Brought home Ling Cod, Sea Bass and crab. Nothing taste as good as fresh sea food.

I was out most of the day with the FD, so I didn't have time to go through the pictures and get them ready to post,will try to do that tomorrow.

Cheryl

gma22
08-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Good morning everyone. I can't imagine what my electric bill is going to be like this month. It was $230 last month. Oh well, I am not going to roast in my own home, so I will just pay it. I have enough trouble with allergies without having the AC off.

Cheryl: Sounds like you had fun. We are not boat, water, and fishing people but it sounds like you had a great time with your family. Before Jack and I got married, he went deep sea fishing on the Atlantic side as he was stationed in Va Beach, VA. The dummy got horribly sunburned and I remember him coming up to see me red as a lobster. It had to be true love because the ONE way drive was 16 hours and he did it every other weekend. He worked until Midnight Friday night, drove all night, spent half day Saturday, all day Sunday, left Sunday night around 9 PM and drove all night and went to work at 4! He did that for a whole year, bless his heart. I never knew the distance so I didn't have the brains to be scared for him!

I just read a great new book by Robin Cook. It is called Crisis and if you are into medical or legal who dunit sort of things, you will like this book. It has a tiny twist at the end. Unfortunately, I am now out of books and my new ones won't be here until at least the end of this week so I have to find something else to keep me busy. I started a sweater for my dil, but it is too hot to knit all that fuzzy yarn. I am just not as dedicated to it this year as I was last.

Every year for Christmas, I try to find something unusual or special to do for the kids for Christmas. I don't do much for dd as she is picky about what she likes, but I do try to do something for my son and dil. This year I found this great place on line that does color caricatures. They are animal lovers, had 3 cats and a dog and one cat passed away a few months ago of some horrible bloating disease. He was a beautiful and sweet cat and I know it upset my dil a lot when they had to put him down. So, I decided to have a color poster done of the three cats and dog and have it framed for them for Christmas. I thought it would be a nice memorial and something cute for them to have of their pets. I have a friend that does stained glass work and I have a project for her for my dd, but I haven't been able to get in contact with her and she lives in the Sierras of CA. I met her here at 3fc, but her husband is doing some park ranger stuff and they have moved into the darn woods with no electricity. I can't find her mailing address to send her pictures of what I want her to do. My son is into jujitsu and my dd is a pharmacist so I had her make a little village with my son having his own dojo and my dil having her own pharmacy. They were so cute and my dil's had a little light in it.

I better go. I hear Jack upstairs showering so he will be down for breakfast in a couple minutes and I need to go upstairs and make the bed and straighten up the bedroom.

Everyone have a good day.

Faye

Cheryl120
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi Girls...Down a pound this morning.:carrot: Should have the 4 pounds off by next week. Made myself a nice crab salad for lunch. It was very yummy! Going up stairs and start working on a baby quilt for my new grandson due in Oct.

Faye...It's another hot day here as well. Have the air on and I don't care how much the bill is either. I just can't stand the humidity, that's the worse!! The animal poster sounds real cute and a great idea. I need to get busy and decide what I'm going to do for my grandchildren for chistmas as well. I've got 8 to buy/make for.

Had shell shock on our trip home with gas prices so high. We only paid $2.69 in Oregon, but got to Washinton/Idaho/Montana and were paying $3.06 to 3.12. The highest we paid was $3.20 in Dickinson, ND! Here it is $3.10, just unreal. Think we are going to call the elevator to come and fill our fuel oil tank before it goes much higher. Hope we have another mild winter, but I've got a feeling it is going to be cold and lots of snow.

How are you feeling to day? Did the swim help? Well I best head upstairs and get started on the quilt. have a good day.

Cheryl

gma22
08-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Good morning! Still hotter than a fire cracker here!

Cheryl: We have some of lowest gas prices in the country, but I am sure dreading driving to Indiana next month and going through Illinois, especially around Chicago. Ole Mayor Daley has to get his piece of the consumer with every gallon. I bet their gas is close to $3.25 or $3.30 with his tax tacked on. I think Jack said our gas was like $2.96 the last time he bought. Sickening isn't it? It causes the airline prices to hike too. I will be so glad when I can buy the tickets for our trip next year and lock in a lower price. They are already $300 more than last year at this time. They don't become available until December for July though. My shoulder and neck are ok. The heat cream usually does the trick for me and it did. I was kind of sore at the pool from having to keep my head up, thus stretching that part of my neck, but it went away when I was out of the pool. I have such problem allergies that I can't swim under water. I have tried nose plugs, but that just hasn't worked too well so I just swim laps with my head above water. It isn't pretty or graceful, but it does what it is supposed to do.

We have an all electric condo so I guess there is good and bad in that. With the condo being so old, it is not well insulated and would be tough to do so and pretty expensive I think. We just plod along and pay the bill. I guess $230 isn't bad for running the AC all the time and that includes our water, sewage and rodent/bug spray charge too. We have a municipal electric company and it is run rather poorly. We could have much lower prices except for what the president of the company keeps trying to do. There is some questionable expenses they have.

I have my first Red Hat Society luncheon on Saturday. I am eager to go. I would like to meet some friends my own age in a purely social setting and this seems to be perfect. If I don't click with this chapter, there are a bazillion more in Memphis I can try.

Well, I need to get going, get laundry in the dryer. Have a good day everyone!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Evening Everyone,

Still hot and humid here. Right now we are having sever thunderstorms. Our weather alarm has gone off twice, just hope no tornados. I would love a heavy down pour, we need the rain so bad.:rain:

Faye...Our house is heated with oil for the downstairs area and electric for the upstairs. If we decide to stay here and not move out west, we will remodel the house and have one heating sorce for the whole house.

Had my WW weigh in today and I was up 3.3 lbs, no surprise and it's back on track for me. I would love to have 100 lbs gone by this time next year. This afternoon I cut out quilt pieces for my FD's quilt she is going to make. She is making a pieced butterfly quilt and it will be real pretty when she get's it done.

I'm going to start cutting out the baby quilt tomorrow and maybe start sewing on it. Have to take the FD to an appointment in the morning and then I'm home until Saturday when I have to take the other FD to a birthday party, hurry back home for the other FD that is having some of her siblings and their families here for a BBQ. Busy, busy, busy

Glad your neck and shoulder are feeling better and it's nice that you are able to swim. I walk for exercise and also workout to Richard Simmons tapes. Have a good evening.

Cheryl

gma22
08-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Good morning all. I watched an interesting program last night on discovery health I think called XXXtreme Weight loss. It was about different ways people had lost a lot of weight outside of surgery. I had read about the 400+ lb man who bicycled from Nevada to St Augustine Fl and lost like 128 lbs or something like that. I can't imagine what his butt felt like! :lol: One of them I found interesting was a woman who flip flopped her meals. She ate her biggest meal in the morning, then a medium meal for lunch and cereal or something like that in the early afternoon for dinner. She lost like 170 lbs in a year or something like that and has kept it off for 7 years. It was an interesting show, but I didn't get to finish the last 15 minutes of the show.

Cheryl: How long have you been on WW? I sure know a lot of people think it is the best thing. I used to do RS, but I have such bad knees that it got too hard to bounce up and down and such. I walk or treadmill it in the fall and winter and the pool from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I am in a slump again and not dieting though I do go out and swim everyday. I let stress get to me and I have had a lot of stress the last few weeks I have put upon myself. It is not so much I stress eat, I just don't follow a plan.
Have fun with the quilt!

Not much going on in the southern part of my world! I will talk with you again soon!

Faye

akrosey49
08-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone..ive been busy babysitting and running errands today with the hubby.. thats always an adventure :dizzy: ..plan on going to bingo tonite with my dd..i had a phone call and a lady from anchorage has orderd 200 greeting cards..so that will keep me busy for awhile.. im waiting for some supplies to get to me befor i start tho..she has ordered from me before and likes my work.. and it gives me a profittable project..seems you are all still having hot weather and i feel sry for u all..we have had the coldest summer i can remember since i lived in alaska..but ill take the cold over hot any day:dizzy: ..hope u are all having agreat day..rosey :wave:

gma22
08-11-2006, 06:50 AM
DRUM ROLL PLEASE........WE HAVE RAIN!!!!! It is raining gangbusters this morning. So much so that I looked outside, told our yorkie I wasn't sure he wanted to go out there, but he had the distinct "crossed legs look" :lol: so I opened the door, he went out and zoomed right back in. We keep puppy pads down in one of the rooms just for that reason so he hurried to them and went. I am hoping this hard rain will cool things off and NOT make them worse.

Rosey: Sounds like you have work ahead of you. Do you paint cards? I don't like extreme heat, but I just can't take the cold anymore so I think I am opposite of you. I just stay indoors when the heat is so very bad.

My first lunch with my Red Hatters is tomorrow and I am looking forward to meeting some new ladies. Hopefully I will like the group and eventually maybe make some friends I can socialize with outside the chapter. I am stuck in this house so much that I do get lonely. It is just silly for us to buy a second car for the other one to sit in the garage. I don't KNOW anyone here and since I don't work, don't have an outlet to get to know anyone here. I guess it is a really good thing my husband and I get along so well and enjoy each other's company so much.

Jack took the day off to go to his PT, then it is commissary day, which you ladies will find I gripe about everytime I have to go out there. The Navy base here has been scaled way back for several years. They removed all the aviation electronic schools, shut down the hospital, the clinic to all buy Active duty personnel etc. A few years ago they decided to move Navy records etc to Millington so there are mostly accounting personnel here now so the bulk of who goes to the commissary are retired people and old folks in scooters are so RUDE! I hope when I get elderly and if I am incapacitated I don't act like I own the world and everyone should get out of my way. They block the aisles to sit and talk or argue with their spouse, they run you down, if they are mobile they come in with their spouse and fight over the laundry detergent size to buy and stand in the middle of the aisle to do it so you can't get around. These are just a few things I usually encounter. I hate to grocery shop and want to get in and out and not mess around. On top of that, last time they had NO plastic bags so had to bag in paper and I HATE to have to carry paper bags into the house because it takes twice as long. It took forever to drag it all in last time. Anyway, it is not one of my favorite things to do, but I have to get the groceries today.

I guess I better go. You all have a great day and nice weekend. I will talk to you soon.

Faye

Cheryl120
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Ladies...I have just spent half an hour typing a long post to you all and submit it and it said I wasn't logged in, when I was and I lost it!!!:mad: Hope this isn't a start to a rotten day.

Rosey...Can't wait for the cooler weather to get here. Looks like we will have a warm fall unless things start changing soon. Do you use paint or pencil on your cards?

Faye...Hope you meet a lot of nice gals at the Redhatters. Did you buy a hat yet? I've been with WW since January this time. Wish I would of stayed with it three years ago. Yeah!!!! you got rain, so did we. Made the humidity worse here, but we need the mositure so bad. Here you about the commissary. Glad I don't have to shop there anymore. I shop in town, early in the morning before most people are up.

Well gals, this is a shorter version of what I had previously typed out. Hope you all have a great day.

Cheryl

akrosey49
08-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Morning everyone..its raining buckets here to and still cold and windy..i use many diff things to make cards..all sorts of pretty paper, stamps, stamps pads, markers, colored pencils, paint,glue, fabric, ribbons, buttons, stickers,glitter,brads, wire, thread,punches and speacial scissors.. just about anything..i have word stamps and quotes and picture stamps and use several tecniques,cutting pasting and embossing with a heat gun..each one is unique..i went to a close to my heart stamping party(like atupperware party) and the rest was history:dizzy: ..i was hooked and am self taught..but have taught others how to do it..its fun and carrys over to scrapbooking my other passion..besides the sewing, quilting , and cross stitching etc..no wonder i hate house work as it interfers with my hobbies:yes: :rofl: :yes: and my kids complane about all the "crafty fluffs" they get on their socks when they visit..id be nuts without my crafts and i bet you all are the same too..Faye your discription of shopping cracks me up..i could be one of those on a riding cart but im never rude.. just abad driver:lol3: i like to grocery shop but not with my hubby..hes to impatient and does argue.. i have more fun with my dd and grdd.. anyways it was funny.. am glad u are all getting rain and hope it cools off.. have agreat weekend everyone(((((((((:hug: )))))) rosey :wave:

gma22
08-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Good morning gals! Back to the heat wave for us! The AC is running non stop again.

Rosey: Sounds like you have a lot of fun with your crafts. I had to quit cross stitching because of arthritis in my hands, but I used to like to do that and have several examples in my home. I used to make stuff for my mother and mother in law. My mom loved it my mil sold it in yard sales! To say the least, she was a difficult woman to please. Believe me, it wasn't because she was a high brow. She lived in Texas and New Mexico, wore moccasins and double knit pantsuits! :lol: It upset me some when my mom died that my scummy stepfather wouldn't let me have the things I made her. It was NOTHING of value, just some wallhangings, pillows etc. They were dairy farmers and my dd had been buying her grandma Mary Moo ceramics and wanted them as a momento of her grandma and he wouldn't let her have them. I have had NO contact with him in 8 years so don't know whether he is even alive or not and don't care. He helped my mom to die early by refusing to allow the doctor or any of us tell her that without amputation she would die.and for that I forgave him, but don't have to like him!!! She died about a month later. I have a bunch of scrapbooking, but really don't have the space to do the stuff much. I am notorious about not getting my digital pictures made into prints too so they are all on my computer instead of in an album. I told Jack we really need to get them made into prints (we have a printer that will print them too but it takes so much ink it is cheaper at a store) and then make some vacation albums, one for each year we went to Vegas. I took enough photos for it.

Speaking of Vegas, we were messing around trying to figure out where we wanted to stay etc and I checked flights. The airlines, the day the new "rules" came out upped the flights 10$ a person. I can't get the tickets before January because they won't be available so I am crossing my fingers they won't continue to go up. We decided to cut back the trip by one day and wait to go until around Labor Day next year. That is what we did last year and it was still nice and hot. We also cut back to two shows since we are going less days. We were going to treat ourselves and stay at the Venetian, which has gorgeous rooms, but I started looking at restaurants etc and everything is what I call foofoo food. Even their cafes. I mean, $15 for a tuna SANDWICH, come on! It also has no hotels around it that have little coffee shops or diners or whatnot. The Treasure Island has this diner, but we got a soft drink there last year waiting for the Sirens show and I wasn't impressed. It was dirty and sloppy looking. So, we are back to staying at the Ballys, which is in the middle of the strip, has great food sources, a neat Tequila bar and you can walk through it right into the Paris as they are connected. The Paris has a nice french bakery where you can get croissants etc too so all in all that would be a better place to stay.

Today we are taking Thomas, our grandson to see The Ant Bully. I know Jack is excited! :^: He isn't much for kids movies, but wants to spend some time with our grandson. We are looking forward to it. I promised him a couple weeks ago when we took him to Chuck E Cheese we would find time to take him to the movies to see this movie.

Next week is get the car tags (Jack wants to get specialized Navy Retired tags this year), Jack has a PT session on Wednesday, then on Thurs he has his nuclear stress test. Busy week.

I guess I better get my morning chores finished. When Jack gets up I will get the bed made and the basket of clothes put away that he brought upstairs for me last night. We have to meet my dd and grandson at 11:45.

have a great day everyone!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Afternoon ladies, Thought I'd better pop in and say Hi!! Had a really busy day with the Fd's family picnic. Had to have it in doors since we still have rain, but I'm not complaining. It was still raining this morning and we are in the 70's. Love it, love it!!! Tomorrow one of the FD's starts volleyball practice and then school starts next Tuesday. I can't wait for my days to get back to normal and all the running around I do with the FD's to slow down some.

Going to be nice to get back to getting my exercising done early and be able to do more sewing.

Faye...How was the Red Hat meeting? How was the movie with your grandson?
Think I'm going to go up and do something in my sewing room, but haven't decided what. Have a great day.

Cheryl

gma22
08-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Good morning gals! Haven't been outside this morning but I imagine it is hot and sticky. It is a sad same story with us.

Boy, the pool is a mess. I got a call from one of the board members last night saying the pool has to remain closed for another day or so. I guess Friday night a bunch of people TORE DOWN THE BACK FENCE to get in and had a party at 3 AM. I don't know how they got caught. Our bedroom is on the back side and we use small fans at night so we don't hear much. On top of that, they ripped out the underwater light and no one can go back in until it is fixed, hopefully some time today. {{{SIGH}}}

Cheryl: I ended up canceling for the luncheon and will go to the combined on the first part of September. We had fun with Thomas. The movie was really cute. Just to give you a little insight into my dd's family.....I asked Thomas if he'd had lunch yet as the movie started at
12:10. He said no so I told him we would get him a hot dog or something. He told me he wanted...SUSHI!!!!! They have different kinds of sushi at this movie theater so Thomas got California rolls, which I believe is rice rolled around seaweed and veggies like cucumbers or avocado. He had sushi and lemonade! I think there were 6 or 8 rolls and he gobbled all but one of them right up. Jack wanted some candy so he ask me if I wanted anything and I said junior mints and Thomas said no he was full. Well, I think I got about 6 of the junior mints and Thomas ate the rest. I held the box between us and he kept dipping his hand in. When we met up with his mom she said she thought he didn't like the junior mints and I didn't hear what he told her. Guess Nonny's mints must have tasted different! We were supposed to meet her at 2 at the Ben and Jerry's, which was just a walk across the parking lot, but she was at the theater early and was waiting for us. We went to the ice cream store and Thomas wanted a scoop of "Phish Food" so he asked me if I would share and I said yes, so we shared a scoop of ice cream and I slipped him a $20! His mom asked him if he ASKED for the money and I told her absolutely not. She didn't believe me, but I kept at her that I gave it to him. She said, "You two are so bad." Jack said, "Kelly, he is our only grandson." She said, "Yeah, but you are still bad." I was talking with Thomas about Ben and Jerry's and he told me Phish Food was the only kind he had ever had because it had to be chocolate. I told him I had tried different kinds, but I liked Phish Food too and we could always share because Nonny only liked the chocolate kinds too.

Bless her heart my dd has this horribly rare case of an eczema type disease that has this long name that starts with an "H." It appeared about 2 years ago on her left thumb and has gotten progressively worse; all over her hands, on her feet and on her back now. She was just diagnosed and it is basically untreatable, cannot be cured, she cannot eat a ton of foods, no fish, shellfish etc of any kind, whole grains, anything that has a tinge of any kind of metal in it, no canned products at all most fruits and juices, no caffeine, soft drinks, coffee, tea etc is out and the list goes on and on. They gave her a shot of steroids, she has cortizone cream and takes some kind of pill form I think. She has to see a therapist about her stress too as it makes it flair up worse.

I want to get a couple pair of jeans for this fall and finally found a place that makes them big enough for my huge behind. I have to get them to fit my behind then the waist is huge on me. I think I am going to get a pair to take to Indiana in case it is cool in Chicago for the game. I dread stuffing my big behind in those little tiny seats at the ballpark though.

I need to get chores done and start my cleaning for the day. Have a good day girls!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Evening Ladies...Sorry I was MIA yesterday, so much is going on with one of the FD's in volleyball in the morning and then meetings in the afternoon. I have 1.5 pounds still to loose to get to my pre-vacation weight.:D Going to be out of town tomorrow afternoon, so I won't be able to go to WW. Just gives me another week to work off the 1.5 lbs.

Faye...You are so lucky to have your grandson close by to love and spoil. I'm jealous:p I send cookies to the grandkids for Halloween, Christmas and Valentines Day. They really get upset if I get busy and I'm late sending.

Sorry to hear you are not able to use the pool for a few days. It's too bad we have people in this world that don't respect other people's property!!! Hope they find out who is responsible!!!!

When do you go on your trip to Indiana? We drove through a part of Indiana on our way back from Michigan to Chicago last summer. I would love to go back and visit some of the Amish Quilt shops.

Our warm weather and humidity is back. I won't complain since we got two days of much needed rain and it sure made a difference in our yard and the corn and soybean fields around us.

Well I still have a few things I need to get done before I go to bed. Jim will be home soon, he had to put in a call day and has training on Thursday, so it will be another 8 day work week before he get's four days off. Hope to have some alone time with him.

Have a good evening and I'll talk to you later.

Cheryl

gma22
08-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Good morning gals! Same ole same ole here. Hot and humid. Supposed to be 91 today. I am sick of this heat now and ready for a little fall coolness. NOT cold, just in the 70's would be nice.

I got a call from the board member that keeps me up to date. I went to the pool yesterday morning, it was locked with the lock inside the gate and a typed sign stapled to the clubhouse that said the pool was closed due to vandalism and safety. She said they voted night before last and decided to close it for the year so no more pool for me. It is way too hot to go out even in the morning and walk right now so I am just going to bide my time until it gets a bit cooler than buckle down for fall and winter and spring to lose my 100 lbs for vacation next year.

Cheryl: We leave for Indiana Sept 12 and come back that Sunday. Short trip, but they usually are going up there. My son lives in South Bend about 4 blocks from Notre Dame, actually. I grew up in a small town of 1600 about 20 miles south of South Bend. I was born in Mesa Arizona but lived my whole childhood in North Liberty and South Bend for a couple years. I literally lived in a clone of Mayberry. It was very much like it. We had a drugstore where you could get nickel ice cream cones, a lunch counter where you could get the best lunch for $.30. It was a ham salad sandwich, chips and a coke. We used to run there during our school lunch break and have it. There were two other restaurants in town, a barber shop, a Harvey's Five and Dime, that had wooden floors that squeaked when you walked around in them, two groceries stores, one was a small IGA and was owned by my Uncle Carl. He had this great selection of penny candy. There were 2 bars in town, a laundromat, the post office, which still works the same way today, didn't deliver mail, you had to rent a post office box. It had several churches and even had a bowling alley, which my mom wouldn't let me go to because it served alcohol. I loved living there as a kid, but when I went back and lived there for a couple years as an adult with Jack and the kids I HATED every minute of it. I lived a mile from the school and walked to school everyday. Were you in Napanee or Middlebury? There is this great shopping and restaurant complex run by the amish in Middlebury called Das Essenhaus. When we visit up there we always take our friends and go to the restaurant to eat. It is fabo. They have tons of small shops that sell all kinds of things. I don't get to see my grandson but about once a month even though they only live across town, but I cherish the time I have with him.

Well gals, I want to get the upstairs bathrooms cleaned and the dusting done so maybe I will get started. Everyone have a good day today!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi Gals...Just a quick pop in to say hi. I've been under the weather the last couple of days. All I have done today is sleep and I feel like crawling back in bed and sleeping till tomorrow.

Faye...I will have to look at a map, but I think it was Middlebury. Didn't have time to stop, but I want to go back! I grew up in Ashland, Oregon and it had about 16,000 people. It is famous for the Oregon Shakespearian Theater that now goes year round, but when I was little it was only during the summer months. Couldn't pay me to move back. It is a tourist town and the hippies have moved in also. But things never remain as they seem when we were children. I do remember the little corner store where 10 cents would buy you a sack full of penny candy.

My kids quilt is ready for pickup from the quilter. Jim was going to pick it up on his way to work this afternoon. I can't wait to see what she did on it.

Have a good weekend. Sorry the pool is closed for the year. Too bad people have to ruin it for others.

Cheryl

gma22
08-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Good afternoon ladies. I just realized I didn't even check the post today. Hope you are all doing ok.

We are going to Olive Garden for dinner tonight for my sil's birthday. We try and take the kids out for their birthday's and Tom's was this last Wednesday, the memorial day that Elvis died. That is a whole other story. Wall to wall mourners here every year. I know there are huge fans of Elvis, but I think it is stupid to spend money to come here and walk past his grave every year. Save your money and I will email you a picture! You have to admire his fans for their persistence. I don't see huge crowds (we get upwards of 10,000 every year) that go to any other rock n roller's grave. It just seems a little sick to me is all. Let the man rest in peace for heaven's sake.

I got up this morning and put on a gown to come downstairs and got stung on the behind by a wasp!!! Sheesh! I thought at first it was just a nerve tingle I get every once in awhile on my body, but I remembered I saw a wasp last night in the bedroom and when I went to kill it, it flew away and I couldn't find it. When I got downstairs I looked at it in the mirror and sure enough I had gotten stung so I sat on an ice bag for about 45 minutes! :lol: I am one of those crazy women that sleep nude and have for probably 30 years so the thing must have crawled into my gown that I left on the bedside table before I went to bed. Of course Jack had to make a cute comment about it.

Nothing much going on here so have a good weekend and stay cool. Our heat index is 106 today! Whew!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Afternoon Ladies...I'm feeling much better today.:D Slept till 10 am which is late for me, I'm usually an early riser. This afternoon, the FD and I went and saw "Snakes and Plane" or something like that. It was pretty good, especially if you hate to fly and hate snakes!!!

Faye...How's your behind? What a place to get stung by a wasp. LOL I think next time you need to shake out your gown before you put it on. Enjoy Olive Garden, I really love that place. We go for the all you can eat soup and salad.

Jim picked up my kids quilt yesterday. The quilter did a fabulous job on it. I have a few tucks, but I think once I get the boarder on you won't notice it.

Have a good weekend girls.

Cheryl

gma22
08-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Good morning gals! Wasn't planning an early rising, but I started coughing and couldn't quit. I get some congestion sometimes that I can't seem to dislodge and I cough until I seem to make it better. Unfortunately, laying down in a bed just doesn't work. I plan on retreating back upstairs as soon as I feel I am over the coughing jag.

We had a good time with the kids at Olive Garden, but Thomas was kind of standoffish, which is unusual for him. My sil was talkative though and that is unusual for him, especially to me. Maybe we were in a temporary alternate universe! :lol: He was funny because he started his new job with FedEx on Wednesday and he was saying all he does is sits and stares into space. It takes a week to issue email addresses, which he says means he has no computer, no telephone, etc. They take pictures on Tuesdays so he doesn't have a badge yet so he said he has to go to work every day with one of those stick on paper visitor passes and has to hang around the door until someone shows up to let him in. If I understand his job, he is part of the computer security for the company. I had my favorite, chicken alfredo for dinner last night. Not a diet menu item, but I didn't eat the whole thing if that gives me any points! :lol: On the other hand, they now have gelato and I wanted to try it so.....

Today is race day so I am just going to make some mexican food for lunch today I think. Nothing fancy, just some hard shelled tacos and some spanish rice. I miss my mil's spanish rice as she put green pepper in it. Jack hates the taste of green pepper so I have to leave it out when I make it. I think we are just going to hang out at the house today. They are predicting rain, but it is supposed to be 96 today so no relief from the heat. I just don't feel like getting out in the heat if I don't have to.

Well gals, I need to clean the litter box, feed the pets, etc so I am going to go. Have a great Sunday.

Faye

Cheryl120
08-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi Ladies...Just popping in to say Hi! Pretty busy trying to get the FD's ready for school tomorrow. I can hardly wait!!! Hope to get back on program with WW and start doing my workouts with Richard five days a week.

Faye...My daughter is married to a hispanic and make wonderful mexican food. I so look forward to my visits every two years for her Chicken Enchiladas, mexican rice and Flan.

Got the side boarders on the kids quilt yesterday. Today I went to town with my friend and helped her pick out fabric for the first quilt she is going to make. I also bought fabric for my grandson and granddaughters quilt that I'm going to start. Both are going to be Triple Irish Chain pattern.

We are a little cooler, 80's,but still have the humidity. Fall will be here before you know it, I just hope the snow doesn't start falling till Dec. Wishfull thinking for North Dakota.

Have a good evening and I'll talk with you all tomorrow.

Cheryl

gma22
08-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Good morning gals! Still hot and very humid here this morning. We have had a couple bouts of rain and it hasn't cooled anything off, just made it worse.

Cheryl: My husband is from southern New Mexico so his mom taught me how to cook Mexican food and I love it. I make a variety of Mexican foods including the chicken enchiladas. I rarely make them because Jack doesn't like them, but I used to make them for family gatherings and such. I miss the products you can buy in New Mexico and can't get here like the green chiles. I love chile rellenos, but the restaurants everywhere we go use poblano peppers instead of the Hatch green chiles and they put an egg batter around the chiles instead of rolling in corn meal and frying so I don't get them either. There is a restaurant in the Palms hotel in Las Vegas called Gardunos and the family is from the area of New Mexico that my husband grew up. They buy all their ingredients from that part of New Mexico and we were in love when we were in Las Vegas last time. We even went there twice, once to their Sunday all you can eat and drink margarita brunch and then once to order off the menu. We always plan that restaurant in our itinerary because the food is so good. We got a laugh because they don't let your glass get empty at the margarita brunch. Jack got a bit tipsy drinking the margaritas. I thought they were wayyyyyy too strong so my glass sat full mostly. I warned him not to drink mine or they would fill it back up again. You would get up to go to the buffet and come back and you had a full margarita. They used those huge throw away plastic glasses so just one glass was a pretty good size margarita.

I am getting excited. We only have three weeks and we get to go to Indiana and see our friends and my son and dil. It has been a rough year not getting to take a vacation this year and this being our only trip for the whole year. I am really looking forward to getting away even though it is only for a few days.

I need to hope to it and unload the dishwasher and put the clothes in the dryer.

Have a good day

Faye

Cheryl120
08-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi ladies...Still very warm and humid here. sitting here with the sweat just pouring off me. Wish the fat would melt off, but no such luck.

Faye...Jim and I are planning a trip to Vegas next summer. We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary. Think I will check out that place at the Palms.
Love mexican food and margaritas. Today I cut out one twin size quilt and I have one more to do tomorrow if I have time. I want to start sewing the stripes together so I can do the final cut before I go to retreat. then I can do the fun stuff, which is sew.

We have sever thunderstorms coming in, hope we get some rain and cooler temps. I just want a break from the humidity.

Jim finally got the microwave hooked up tonight with my help. He is popping our first bag of popcorn. Can't wait!:D

Have a good evening and I chat with you tomorrow.

Cheryl

gma22
08-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Good morning ladies. It is hot and sticky as usual. I will sure be glad for some cooler fall temperatures, but doesn't look like it is happening anytime in the near future.

Cheryl: When are you planning on going to Vegas? If you want a cheaper hotel that is very nice, check out the Orleans. I will send you a couple website addresses to help you out. As you can see from my ticker, we are leaving the day before 4th of July and staying a week. We were going to stay on the strip, but decided to save about $400 and go back to the Orleans. We always rent a car to get around so transportation is not a problem. We found it was cheaper to do that than to pay cab fare. One of the nice things staying at the Orleans, though it is off strip a couple miles is that they have a shuttle that goes to their sister properties and one of them, the Barbary Coast is dead center the middle of the strip. We did that the first year we went. We didn't rent a car, but would take the shuttle to the Barbary Coast then walk to the strip hotels, halfway one day, halfway the next. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with as I am an old hand at Vegas now. Definitely go Gardunos. The food is really good there and if you are there on a Sunday go for the Margarita brunch, it is like $12 a person I think and is all you can eat and drink. As I said, I will give you some addresses by PM that you can look at and get some great ideas.

I need to hope to it girls. I have lots of work to do today.

Faye

Cheryl120
08-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Hello Ladies...I have been so busy since the girls have started back to school, I feel guilty that I haven't been here for a few days. Trying to get back on program and stick with it. I have good days and I have not so good days. I hoping my hubby will get the VHS player hooked up tonight or tomrrow so I can start workout out again. I need to get this body moving and shakin.:carrot: :carrot:

Faye...We are planning on going to Nevada the end of July. Jim's brother lives in Wells, Nevada and our niece lives in Las Vegas. If we don't make it to Vegas, we will be going to Reno for "Hot Augest Nights". It's a large car show and we are hoping to have our 57 Convertible ready by then.

The last couple of days I have been busy cutting out two twin size quilts. Yesterday I cut out the baby quilt and today I had it together in about two hours. It is really cute. I just need to buy the backing and batting and get it off to the quilters. I just might have it mailed to my daughter-in-law before the baby is born.

We are having some cooler weather, but it's still humid. We are suppose to be back up to the 90's by next Thursday. Tomorrow we have a picnic to go to at the lake for Foster Parents and their kids. I just got done making a Sweet and Sour salad. It's really yummy. It's made with tri color pasta, chopped red onion, tomatoe, green pepper, cucumber and a dressing that is made with sugar, vinegar, ground mustard, garlic powder and salt. It chills in the refrigerator overnight before you eat.

Linda, Rosie and Brandy, hope you girls have a real nice weekend.

Cheryl

gma22
08-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Good morning gals! I can sit here and hear the cicadas making noise outside. We have them kind of bad this year and they are such nasty looking bugs. They are so huge! On top of that, I have an ornery squirrel that wreaks havoc on my deck and is braver than the thing should be. I let Fortune out a few days ago and the thing just sat there. I do NOT like any kind of rodents or rodent family and I yelled at Fortune to come back in then finally shooed it up a tree so he could go out.

Boy, yesterday was hot. I went shopping and out to lunch with my dd (without my grandson along ) then came home and Jack and I had to go out and do some shopping ourselves. It is so miserable to step out of the car into the heat then into a cool building then out again, etc. It makes me pretty nauseous so by the time I got home, I was kind of green and miserable.

We finally got two of Jack's PT claims that have been PAID so maybe they finally got the stupid thing straightened out. I don't know if I told you that I contacted the main office regarding the rude woman who called Jack at work, but I got a response from someone and she told me she had forwarded my email to the person responsible for the local office and if I didn't get satisfaction to email her back and she would help me. I haven't heard a word and if I don't I am going to email her. She was a very nice master sergeant in the Air Force.

Nothing much else going on. I am going to get that rug shampooed this morning since I bought another kind of rug cleaner. Jack wants to go over it twice, once with the pet rug cleaner and once with another type of the same brand. It just needs to be removed and replaced, but that is just going to have to wait.

My son won the bronze medal at the Gracie world tournament. We are thrilled at he had recently gotten a belt promotion and hadn't fought in any tournaments against anyone in his belt color. He is a heavy weight and as such has to fight anyone over 195 lbs. He said in his first round he choked the guy and won, but broke his finger and the guy cracked one of Jay's ribs so he had to fight the rest of the tournament with a cracked rib. In the third round he had to fight what he called a 280 lbs gorilla! :lol: He didn't get a pin, but won on points. He lost his last round, but he said the guy who beat him was the overall winner of the whole tournament so the fact the guy beat him on pts and not a pin made him pretty puffed up.

I need to get hopping and get chores done. Everyone have a good Sunday.

Faye

Cheryl120
08-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Morning Ladies...Just got done feeding Jim his breakfast and thought I would pop in for a few minutes before going up and doing some sewing before we have to leave for the lake. Have to miss church this morning, which is a bummer, but we wouldn't make it to the lake in time and this is the start of acquiring the hours we need to keep our license up to date for foster care.

Faye...I first heard the cecadas last year when we were in Dallas, TX. Noisey little critters. Your squirrel story reminded me of the big grey squirrels we had in Salem, OR. They knew just how far Peaches leash would go. They would tease her, she would run after them and and practically hang herself. One day, I let her out without leashing her. They started to tease her, she took off and she almost had squirrels. She was so proud of herself, and they never bothered her again. LOL

Congrats to your son for his award. How proud you must be!! OUCH!!!! to the crack rib and broken finger!!

Hey! I've got a couple carpets you can come and clean if your in the carpet cleaning mood. HEHE!! Really, I need new carpet in my whole house, but it will have to wait till we are ready to sell in a couple of years.

Well I best get busy. Have a good one gal's.

Cheryl

Cheryl120
08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Evening Ladies...Thought I would pop in and post some pictures from vacation and also the quilts I made my son and daughter and a picture of me. The first picture is of crater Lake and the second one is of Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach, Oregon. See you tomorrow!

gma22
08-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Good morning all! Jack left for work about half an hour ago and I need to get going on my dusting and vacuuming for the day, but thought I would peek in here and post first!

Cheryl: Great pictures, beautiful quilts and gorgeous woman! We desperately need the carpets replaced but money is the big issue. I told Jack that next year when we get back from vacation, if we have to, we will do one room at a time. I want hardwood/pergo type floors in the house. I hate carpets with pets. These carpets are old and stained from previous owners and their pets. I have the living room carpet covered up a lot with big navy plaid throw rugs. They take up a big part of the carpeting and at least cover the places that are really bad. The dining room rug is in pretty good shape except for pet smells. We shampoo to keep it from getting bad, but you can't do much about what is already in the pad and there was a dog that lived here before we bought the place and peed all over.

We are gearing up for this heart catherization on Thursday morning. I keep trying to tell my self it is not going to be too serious etc etc. I thought we were done with the heart stuff after his heart attack 3 years ago, but guess not. Guess you always have to stay on your toes after the first one happens.

Since Cheryl posted those beautiful pictures, I am posting one of me in front of a fountain at the Bellagio. Cheryl, hope it gets you excited about planning your trip!

I need to get hopping. Time is slipping away. I am doubling and tripling up on cleaning this week so I have everything done by Wed since we will be at the hospital all day on Thursday and from there who knows?

Have a great day girls!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Ladies...Busy day today. Had to take Jim to the doctor. He hurt his back on Saturday and it has just gotten worse and he looks like a 100 year old man when he walks. Jim is off work for the next week and has some heavy painkillers to help with the pain. He start physical theapy on Wednesday, so that should help him also.

Faye...You Southern beauty, you!!! Nice to have a face to put with a name. Beautiful back drop, can't wait to go to Vegas. When we were last there, which was about 1989, they where just starting to build the big resorts on the strip.

Faye, I will keep Jack in my prayer that everything goes alright on Thursday. Hope he has a good report back.

Well I need to go and see how Jim is doing. Have a good evening.

Cheryl

gma22
08-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Good morning ladies! I am in a bit of a rush this morning so I hope you don't mind a bit of recycled news. I am copying and pasting from the other thread I post on.

It is the most humid day so far this year. Jack left his work truck keys and I called his cell and he came back to get them. I walked out to the garage to give them to him in my nightgown and was sweating when I got back to the house. It is awful outside. I thought the rain we had last night was supposed to cool things off, but it made it much much worse. I will definitely be staying indoors today!

Have you ever felt like you are on a merry go round and everyone else on it with you is dumb? I think I have solved one problem and another pops up. On Friday we got another medical authorization from that stupid local Tricare office for Jack to have physical therapy.:bomb: Now you ladies all know he is all DONE with his PT. Yesterday I got a call from a woman at the SAME PT facility wanting to schedule Jack for his appts! It was not the same woman I usually talk to so I had to go through the WHOLE thing with her about how he has already had all 13 treatments etc. :crazy: I then contacted a MasterSergeant who had taken my complaint about the local office asking her for help. I haven't heard back from her yet. THEN........last week I mailed in Jack's new prescriptions and the forms they require to fill them to Express Scripts, which is the mailorder place Tricare uses. I checked yesterday to see if they had gotten them and started to fill them because Jack is out of one of the meds. Well, yes and no! They were filling three and the other one was no where to be found. I contacted them by email asking where it was because all 4 were in the same envelope! I used the order number, gave them as much information as I could and got an email back they needed to know more information! GRRRRRRRR! :mad: Will it never stop????? The hospital did call and pre-register Jack on the phone last night for his hospital visit, so at least that was done correctly. We also got our co-pay refunded on his stress test as I am assuming you don't pay a co-pay for the procedure.

I got my South Beach book yesterday. I can follow the thing fine, but I am going to have to get some other recipes because I hate asparagus, I don't like salmon and a few other things in the Phase I recipes included in the book. I will hunt some out here to replace. I may sneak some of these past Jack, but the truth is, I am not going go be able to get him to go on Phase I because he won't give up all the carbs and he eats a limited amount of veggies so he would be repeating them constantly. I will work it all out so he eats healthy and starts dropping lbs again and so do I. He made a promise to me that he will start getting on the treadmill on Friday night, Sat and Sunday, which is fine by me. If he would do that for half an hour each of those days it would work out fine. There is no sense trying to do this until we get back from Indiana though.

Cheryl: There is definitely huge changes in Vegas since you were there last. There are big changes since we were there last year right on this date in fact. I remember sitting in our room watching the news thinking here we are having this great vacation and people are being swept away by flood with Katrina. I hear that the Aladdin has been bought and is changing to Planet Hollywood and a couple other places have added on. You could go to that city, spend a week, have a great time and not put a penny in a slot machine or a dollar on a table. I think that is what I like about it. We love to gamble, but it is NOT the only thing to do there. Another thing is all the FREE stuff to do and look at.

I need to run. I have stuff I need to double up on with cleaning so I have the house all done before the hospital visit on Thursday. We don't know what is going to happen with that and I don't want to be stressed out about my house too.

Have a great day gals!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Ladies...Just time for a quick pop in. Just got back from the FD's first Vollyball game. They loss, but she did pretty good. Hubby is still the same.:( Tomorrow is his first day at therapy, and I know he can't wait to go. I have weight watchers first, and know the scales will not show a loss, but probably a gain. I'm back on track as of today.:carrot: Had a nice long talk with myself and the fact that it is only 38 weeks till my granddaughter graduates from High School. This Granny would like to be way below 300 lbs, so I best kick my behind in gear!!!:kickbutt: Worked on sewing the stripes for the twin quilt this morning. I missed counted somewhere, so I'm short two stripes and I'm out of fabric. Looks like I will have to hit the fabric store tomorrow and hopefully they have it. I'll be back to do personals tomorrow.

Cheryl

gma22
08-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Good morning! It is finally a little cooler and much less humid this morning. We got a bit of rain yesterday and that finally did help.

Cheryl: Sounds like you are going to be busy. We are just waiting to go and have this heart procedure done tomorrow. I just want to get it done so we know what we are facing if anything.

I bought the South Beach diet book and have decided to give it a try when we get back from Indiana. Sooner if we end up having to postpone the trip because of Jack. It doesn't matter as we aren't going to be able to use the baseball tickets anyway. My son can't get off work that day. He will have had a trade show for 8 days and his boss wants him to wrap up sales from the leads on Thursday and Friday. I am not upset about it except for the $100 I spent on the tickets and even then it doesn't matter. I just need to get away from here for just a few days and relax. With no vacation this year (we were on vacation last year at this time) and we haven't taken any trips this year, I am pretty frazzled.

I better get out of here and get to work on my upstairs bathrooms and get them done and my upstairs dusting.

Have a good day girls!

Faye

Cheryl120
08-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Evening Ladies...Another busy day and tomorrow looks the same as well as Friday. I can't wait for the weekend to get there so i can just stay HOME. Today was weigh-in day at WW. I was up 2lbs, but no surprise. Have given my self a swift kick and decided to stop counting points and do the core instead. I followed the core plan for dinner and felt much more satisfied. Jim had his first therapy session this afternoon, and can almost stand up straight.

Faye...Hope Jack's procedure goes well. Will keep you both in my prayers tonight and tomorrow as well.:hug: Wish you good luck following the South Beach Plan. You can do this!!

Well I need to get a few things done before I go to bed. Have to be up by 6 and get the girls moving.:carrot: Chit chat with you all later.:hug:

Cheryl

gma22
08-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Well gals, things could have gone a LOT better. The blockage is below his current stent and as such they could neither get a good ultrasound nor could the doctor even get a 1 mm wire through the catheter and the blockage so he has to have double bypass surgery. I guess the doctor said because he couldn't see to put another stent in he would be doing it blind and that would be too dangerous.

He sees the vascular surgeon on Tuesday for a consult. He had to have his neck veins ultrasounded too to make sure he has no blockage in his neck so he doesn't stroke out.

The money situation is going to be ugly, but looks like my dd and sil are going to pay our mortgage for a couple months until he can get back to work. With this, we may be able to eek it out ok if I make no mistakes and pay all the bills ahead through November. Thank God for the Navy Retirement or we would be totally sunk. We just have to get the doctor to wait until the 11th to do the surgery, which is a week from Monday.

Thanks for the prayers lady, I sure do need them. I am so ashamed that I have totally fallen apart with this and I wanted to be so strong for Jack and take as much burden off him as I could.

Hugs to you all! :hug: Faye

akrosey49
08-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Faye..im so sry that your hubby needs surgury..and money is always an issue isnt it..my dh has had 5 surg in the last few yrs and each one was a nightmare but even tho hes diabled now hes getting along fine.. the point is i know just how you feel would a hug help((((((((:hug: ))))))))) it will work out fine..arnt we lucky we live in a time were they can do these amazing surguries..i will say an extra prayer for you both and u are strong..nothing to be ashamed of..u are just a concerned wife and have to look at all the possibles..if you need to vent we are here.. take care..rosey :wave:

gma22
09-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Rosey: Thanks! I am just so darn scared.

Cheryl120
09-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Morning Ladies...I'm starting a new thread for September/October. See you there.

Cheryl