General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Default No more hair dyeing?

I'm turning 39 in August and have decided I'm tired of having to go every four weeks to get my hair colored. I've done a ton of research looking for others who have grown out colored hair and how they felt about their exposed gray.

I'm a little afraid, but I also don't see myself coloring my hair for another 10 years as it gets harder and harder for the color to "take".

So, anyone done this who wants to share your story?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #2  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

I don't have a stroy to share but i will say that I think silver hair is beautiful!!! I think you should grow it out!!
Old 07-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm turning 37 in August and my hair is geting really gray too. It's not appealing gray hair, it's thick and wiry. I can't afford a salon color anymore, so I just buy 7.00 Clairol. Works great and takes about 10 minutes to apply it (40 minutes to set). Now that I'm not paying salon prices and having to make appointments and stuff, it's a whole lot more manageable.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #4  

I colored my hair myself from about ages 25 to 35 (I started finding grays about around age 16). I quit doing it myself because I have so much gray and such thick hair that I would miss big chunks of it. And, it was turning stripey because the new growth began to resist the color while the ends were getting darker and darker.

I went to the salon on Friday and got some highlights that will camoflage the inch long white roots. I guess the highlights will turn lighter over time. It was weird not to get a regular color job. My stylist said I won't need to come back for any coloring stuff for six weeks. :ACCCCKKKK!:

Last edited by kateful; 07-01-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #5  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I love Silver/Gray hair. I think its totally gorgeous!

I USED to get my hair done at the salon, but that quickly got expensive. Now I do it myself. (just for something different, not for gray coverage) I just did mine actually, I used Nice N Easy, but I've also used Clariol, etc.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I'm 39 also with lots of gray hair. Not an attractive silver gray, but a dull wiry coarse gray. I know lots of women with silver gray hair and I think it's beautiful but mine isn't that kind. About five years ago, I tried leaving it natural for a while. I was visiting my sister's church during that time and someone asked me if I was my sister's "mother". My sister is 2 and 1/2 years older than I am, so I was not happy. I started coloring it again that weekend.

I'm not happy with the way mine looks when I color it myself. The color's just too flat or something. I guess I'll continue going to my hairstylist and getting it colored and highlighted there. I can stretch it out to about 8 weeks by covering the roots with a temporary color that you put in after each shampoo. It also doesn't seem to fade as quickly as the ones I do at home.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy
I'm 39 also with lots of gray hair. Not an attractive silver gray, but a dull wiry coarse gray. I know lots of women with silver gray hair and I think it's beautiful but mine isn't that kind. About five years ago, I tried leaving it natural for a while. I was visiting my sister's church during that time and someone asked me if I was my sister's "mother". My sister is 2 and 1/2 years older than I am, so I was not happy. I started coloring it again that weekend.

I'm not happy with the way mine looks when I color it myself. The color's just too flat or something. I guess I'll continue going to my hairstylist and getting it colored and highlighted there. I can stretch it out to about 8 weeks by covering the roots with a temporary color that you put in after each shampoo. It also doesn't seem to fade as quickly as the ones I do at home.
Wow! I don't blame you for going back to coloring after that. I'm the second of three siblings. My older brother is bald. At least I don't have that problem. My sister is slightly younger than I, but spent too much time in the sun, so my skin is better than hers even if her hair is darker.

I agree about the flat color. My mom colors her hair still. Really dark. It's not a great look, but she's not going to stop. I may end up looking like my mother's mother.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #8  
~Believe~

That is a good idea, Betheigh. I had them do that for me once when I let mine grow out.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #9  
~Believe~

Yes and I've had them do that too. (chop off the old color) That was when I got engaged though and wanted to have the "perfect" hair for my wedding.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #10  
~Believe~

Yeah my hair was pretty long back then, so both my hairdresser and myself thought it was for the best. It seemed like foooooorrrrrrreeeeevvvvvvveeerrrr before my hair grew out, but in the end, it looked a lot better. But I say just do whatever works for you and your hair, because we all are different.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #11  

i dnt know, but i tend ot get jittery when it comes to dyeing the hair.i just dnt want to damage my hair-its too fragile.i just want to be sure that if am using something in particular to hide the white hairs, it has to be a safe product!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 4"

I started to turn grey when I was 18.

The last 2 yrs I have quit coloring it.
I just do not care anymore.
I have had older ladies and little kids tell me they love my hair.
It is long. Down to the middle of my back.
And, to me it looks cool. Blond with white hairs. Makes it look like
I have been in the sun

Ask yourself....
who are you coloring it for!?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My Mom has the same dirty blonde hair that I do. She kept her hair very short for a while and had the hairdresser change from frosting with silver to frosting with her natural colour (and leaving most of it it's natural grey) and it grew out quite gracefully. But she did keep it short short short.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I've been white for the past twenty years and will never go back to colouring. I started at 20 and finally said screw it in my forties. It was a light brown and the gray grew in gracefully. A young friend said it was silver, not gray. Now my hair is very, very healthy. The perm in the picture grew out and I have it fairly short and straight. Easy upkeep for sure and not an old lady haircut.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #15  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I hate my grey,,,its like wire sticking out. My hair is naturally thick and course but this grey is brutal. And it doesn't want to color...I still refuse to leave it. My mom has had maybe 10% of the grey I have.
Im coloring it for me...I like my dark hair...I like that I funk up my hair with chunks of red...(not grey)
Closed Thread