LA Weight Loss - Lemon water

View Full Version : Lemon water

Debbie24
06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey gals, hope you all have a good POP day.

How do you do your lemon water? Hot, cold? how much lemon do you add to how much water?

Do you find that this method works for losing water weight?

Thanks gals.

bizlawchik
06-27-2006, 03:48 PM
I have a 16 oz. glass cappucino mug that I use because I think it looks pretty. I squeeze in about 1/4 lemon and then fill it up with water and microwave for 3 mins. or so. It seems to get things moving, so to speak.

Katie has another way that I saw on a previous post, maybe she'll jump in here.

Where in FL are you? I'm in West Palm Beach.

love1384
06-27-2006, 04:52 PM
what does lemon water do for you exactly?

bizlawchik
06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
It acts as a natural diuretic. Any time you have something salty, or any alcohol, try to drink 1-2 c. before, and then have at least 2c. after or the next day. This will help prevent the bloating and the upward climb of the scale.

StargazerJMK
06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I followed the advice of someone on here more knowledgeable than myself...

I poke the whole lemon with a fork a couple of times, put it in a bowl in the Microwave and heat it for 1 minute. I use one half of the juice (be sure to squeeze the lemon well) in 16 oz of water as hot as I can stand to drink it (I just chug it), and about 30 minutes later use the other half of the lemon juice the same way. This works GREAT for me.

bizlawchik
06-27-2006, 05:54 PM
That was Katie's recipe. There you go - I knew someone would have it.

StargazerJMK
06-27-2006, 06:34 PM

Yep, I think you're right, it WAS Katie. She's soooo wise and wonderful. ;)

Cheekyamero
06-27-2006, 07:39 PM
I generally add lemons to my cold water too.

Take bottled or faucet water and fill a pitcher. Add four or five lemon slices and two or three mint leaves. Chill the water for at least two hours and enjoy. This is really good in the hot and humid weather.

Debbie24
06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Thank you guys so much, i knew i can depend on you guys for a quick answer. I definately have to do it. Can you do it at night or is it better during the day?

bizlawchik i'm in ocoee, we just moved here about 1yr ago from NY. I've never been to palm beach but hope to some day.

Repo girl
06-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I do it in the morning. I already pee all night, don't need any help there! I have dropped 3 lbs of water weight since I got up this morning thanks to lemon water. I have been running to the potty all day. Good luck!

stiesta
06-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm such an anti-tart girl that I usually add a little splenda to mine (hot or cold) and it tastes like real lemonade...plus it does the trick to clear out the bladder!

Debbie24
06-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Thank you gals so much, i'm definately doing it today.

Debbie24
06-28-2006, 02:50 PM
ok just had to say that lemon water is horrible. gotta go have another glass in 10mins :). hope its worth it. Thanks again for all the response.

greycrazy
06-30-2006, 02:40 AM
When drinking the lemon water do you count the lemon for anything like a fruit?or is it counted at all.

Boo'sMom
06-30-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't count it for anything--I don't think there's enough to matter. Just me.

dawn78
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't count it as anything, it basically runs right through us!

Debbie24
06-30-2006, 12:29 PM
My plan book says that 1 lemon counts as 1 fruit and my COD says to count it as a fruit.

bizlawchik
06-30-2006, 12:40 PM
My COD says don't count it because it is just the juice, and I'm not using a whole lemon at once.

Misti in Seattle
07-01-2006, 05:14 AM

Yes Katie's is the one I use also! Except I put the juice of the entire lemon in 32 oz of hot water. I chug down the first half of it and then drink the rest over the next 30 minutes or so. It really works! I add a lot of the pulp also. I like the tart taste so it is not that hard for me to get down.

I like it in cold water also... that's a good idea about mixing it ahead of time in the refrigerator and letting it get "throughout." Might give the mint leaves a try too!

bizlawchik
08-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Bumping this up for Jenni

Linds81
08-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Does it matter if I drink the lemon water hot or cold? I tried it hot one day and it tasted horrible!! I couldn't get it down. Now cold... I could drink gallons of it!!

Shannon13
08-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I asked this question at my COD and what they told me was that it disgests better if it is warm.

I did some internet research myself and everyone does suggest it to be warm. Here is an article about some of the benefits:

Warm lemon water serves as the perfect good morning drink, as it aids the digestive system and makes the process of eliminating the waste products from the body easier. It prevents the problem of constipation and diarrhea from taking place, by ensuring smooth bowel functions. Read further to explore information about hot lemon water benefits…

Lemon is a vitamin C rich citrus fruit that enhances your beauty, by rejuvenating skin from within and thus bringing a glow on your face. One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. Lemon water flushes out body toxins and thus is extremely beneficial for the body.

Lemon, a fruit popular for its therapeutic properties, helps promote your immune system and thus, protects you from the clutches of most types of infections. It also plays the role of blood purifier. Lemon is a fabulous antiseptic bestowed on us by Mother Nature. Limewater juice works wonders for people having heart problem, owing to its high potassium content. So, make it a part of your daily routine to drink a glass of warm lemon water in the morning and then open your gateway to enjoy its health benefits.

Misti in Seattle
08-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Well after reading that last post I am VERY fortunate that I LIKE the hot lemon water in the morning!!!! I do agree it seems very beneficial to me.

hkychik
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Misti - you look positively radiant in your avatar! WOW!

Linds81
09-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks!!! Lol I guess i'm going to have tolearn to like it!

mrsbeanie
09-01-2006, 01:45 PM
My COD compared it to rinsing off your hamburger meat. She said if you tried to rinse the fat off your hamburger meat with cold water it would just congeal the fat and make it sticky where as if you use hot water it will rinse the fat away... I don't know but it sounded good to me LOL. I have to add a little splenda to mine and it hasn't seem to hurt

MTdebster921
09-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Linds-When I first started drinking the hot lemon water it was disgusting. Now I really like it, so as time goes by, our taste buds change. Hopefully you will get used to it and like it down the road.

Beanie- That's a bad visual:barf: , but a good way to put it :D .

juliemarie
09-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Just another shining example of the "scientific knowledge" of the COD :joker:

Boo'sMom
09-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I usually get my lemon water in by adding lemon juice to my crystal light lemonade, then heating it--tastes great.

juliemarie
09-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I suppose I should add that the temperature solely has to do with absorption rate in the stomach/intestines. For maximum absorption, the water should be warm-not boiling hot, not cold.

Debbie367
09-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Great idea Boo! I will give it a try this week.

Debbie (Nashville)

impala girl
09-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I am sooooooo lazy and busy, Can you use the lemon juice in the little plastic containers in the veggie dept. and if so how much would add up to the amount you'd need.
Thanks for all the tips

dolphn545
09-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Rosie - I've used bottled lemon juice before. Everytime I bought fresh lemons, I ended up throwing them out because I didn't use them quick enough.

Whichever brand you use of the little containers, they should have a label on them that will tell you how much is = to what. I don't measure mine, I just pour it in.

Misti in Seattle
09-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Misti - you look positively radiant in your avatar! WOW!

I missed seeing this nice compliment earlier, but wanted to say thank you. That means a lot to me, as others are telling me I look much more vibrant and healthy, and that is as important to me as losing the weight.

As to the lemon water discussion (everyone) I wanted to add... it tastes FAR better if you use a fresh lemon. I nuke it for a minute and then squeeze out the juice and pulp. I ran out of lemons and tried the bottled lemon juice but it tasted horrid after being used to the real thing.

happydaisy
09-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Misti - I agree with the other poster! I've been away from the boards for a few months, due to moving coupled with a little backsliding....:^: And when I came back a few days ago I saw your pic and thought "wow!"

impala girl
09-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Maybe I'll try both ways.

Candiflip
09-02-2006, 01:55 PM
My center told me to drink it at night.. does it matter?

Misti in Seattle
09-02-2006, 02:31 PM
I drink it first thing in the morning... and I like the way it works so plan to stick with it... but I don't know if it matters. I put it in 32 ounces of water and don't particularly want to get up to pee all night any more than I already do. :) I find that by drinking it in the morning it also calms my appetite.

WhitWhit
09-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I bought a bottle of REALEMON to cook with. Do you think I can put that in my water and still be ok?

Mummy_Tummy
09-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Hey guys! I've only skimmed the other posts but I thought I'd mention that drinking a glass of warm lemon water first thing in the morning is a centuries old Ayurvedic principle. Ayurveda is an Indian (as in India not Native America) form of holistic medicine that focuses more on prevention than cure (though there are cures). It's all about working with your primary doshas (elements that make up the body and are unique to every individual) to remain healthy from the inside out.

I love it when ancient wisdom flows forth and remains sound in the light of modern practices!

By the way, I've recently started a course in Ayurveda and had begun the lemon water before I read this thread. Synchronicity at its finest, yeah?

I'm definitely gonna try heating the lemon first. I had just been squeezing it (and I even started out with the bottled stuff cos it's all I had to hand). Can someone explain why heating the lemon is good practice? I thought maybe it just makes it easier to juice or does it bond with the warm water better? Obviously ancient Indian magi did not have access to a microwave, lol!

Thanks, guys. This site continues to surprise and encourage me.

Candiflip
09-05-2006, 04:09 PM
I drank the warm lemon water for 4 days.. but for those 4 days I did not have any bowel movements and I was very very very gassy. I keep feeling like I had to go to the bathroom the whole time and would go in there but nothing.. very irriting! So I stopped drinking it and long behold I had a bowl movement the next morning like I always do. Very odd being it is supposted to aid in digestion.
I am wondering it it worked oppostite on me becuase I don't have a gallbladder?

I don't think I will be drinking it anymore and will just be stitcking to taking 4 fish oils a day.

bizlawchik
09-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Bumping this up for Bajachick3

Bajachick3
09-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I think I usualy count it partly...ALso is cold lemon water just as good as warm lemon water.?:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: .......thanks

Shannon13
09-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Grey, no one counts the lemon water around here as the amount of lemon you use is so little.

Bump up post for Meagan

bizlawchik
10-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Bumping this up for Alannah.

mom2crue
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM

LittleBlueCat
01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Pearl - Is this the thread you was wanting to bump up, for Dan or for whoever needs a "refresher course"?

truelies
01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
I just posted one like this yesterday and found even more helpful advice in here. Thank you! you all have great advice :)

Dan2112
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks!!

Mucho appreciado!