Old 06-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Figs?

lol, I think the only fig I've ever eaten has been in the form of a cookie (Fig Newtons).

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

I think it will be interesting to find out if anyone here eats them and HOW.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I just can't eat dried frigs, I have tried, but I don't like the gritty quality of the seeds. They are so fragile, they aren't available fresh very long. This year I spent 5 bucks on a 4-pack of fresh figs thinking they are so pretty! I should like them! The inside was pink and squishy and seedy, I just couldn't like them and I had to give the other 3 figs away. I really WANTED to like them.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #3  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Love 'em

I grew up eating figs and they are wonderful. I only eat the fresh ones (black and white) and eat them off the tree or split them down the middle and place them on a slice of bread for a sandwich.
RaffaellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love figs. I prefer fresh but I'll eat dried figs once in a while. I've eaten them straight off the tree mostly and they are so good. I don't know any particular recipes for them though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #5  
LLV

What do they taste like? I'm assuming they're nothing like fig newtons, lol.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/155/135

i eat dried figs once in a while. they're good and they do have the same flavor as fig newtons...at leat in my opinion hah
ellakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Ooooh, we used to eat fig preserves that my grandmother made. They were heavenly, but I'm sure they were loaded with sugar and I probably wouldn't eat it today. Since she's passed on and I don't have the recipe, I won't be making it anyway.

I love fresh figs by themselves. I don't think I've ever tried dried figs and I don't know of any healthy recipes for figs. (I've had them in other not so healthy desserts though.)
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #8  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
What do they taste like? I'm assuming they're nothing like fig newtons, lol.
Actually, they are a lot like fig newtons, imo, only better! The flavor is not as strong, more delicate. The texture is similar to a tangerine. Hmmmm..... It's hard to describe a good fresh fig.

I have a fig tree in my yard! I wish I could share the figs with all of you! I have wayyyyy too many. My tree is only 3 years old and already puts out hundreds of figs!

Usually I give away lots of figs. My coworkers got SICK of seeing me coming with bags of figs! This year, I'll try to make a sugar-free fig preserve.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #9  
hara hachi bu

telemetrynurse, I'd drive down and get a few fresh figs from you! Well, I'm half a nation away so that might not be very practical, but I don't think I've ever seen a fresh fig. I think I've only eaten them dried.

I dip them in red wine for a snack. Mmmmmm.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #10  

My grandad had a little fig tree it only produced about 5 at a time. And when I lived in Australia my next door neighbour had a huge one and I used to get fresh figs regularly.

I love them, (and dried too). My favourite way to prepare them (if it makes it into the house without being eaten en route) is to cut into quarters but not the whole way down, spoon some light cream cheese in the middle, sprinkle with chopped pistachios, and maybe a little honey.

I bought a pack of four today to have with my morning muesli and yoghurt (trying to ditch the oatmeal for summer!!!)
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote