Sonoma Diet Recipes - Wave 2 - yummy fat free yogurt cheese

nynan
06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Oh, oh, oh!

I have hated having whole wheat toast with nothing on it, so today I found some recipes for yogurt cheese.

You can make your own yogurt cheese:

2 cups of plain fat free yogurt
1 sieve
cheesecloth
bowl

First I made yogurt cheese by lining my sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth. (you can also use a coffee filter instead of cheesecloth)
I placed the seive over a bowl. Measure in 2 cups of the ff yogurt. You'll get about 1 cup of yogurt cheese from this. Drain for 12 hrs. in the frig. Now you have yogurt cheese that is the consistancy of a soft cream cheese. Scrape or spoon it into a container. It will keep a couple of weeks in a tightly closed container.
You can flavor it any way you wish for a yummy spread or dip.

So, I took one cup of my yogurt cheese and added 1 tsp. of vanilla extract and 2 packets of splenda. Wisked together.

I had a whole grain raisin bread slice and toasted it. Spread on a couple tablespoons of my vanilla cheese spread and it was FANTASTIC!!!!
So much better than butter or those awful butter substitutes.

You can also add chives or dill or whatever to make a tasty dip or spread for other things. Flavor it any way you wish.

I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I do.

Take care,
NY Nan

nynan
06-26-2006, 11:30 AM
I ran an internet search and found some good suggestions for yogurt cheese.

Spread plain yogurt cheese on a bagel.
Or mix in a teaspoon of jam or fruit.

Mock Danish: toast one half an English muffin. Spread with sweetened yogurt cheese. Sprinkle with cinnamon and heat under the broiler until bubbly.

Mayonnaise: mix 1 tbl. mayonnaise with 1 or 2 tbls. yogurt cheese.

Sour cream topping: Add chives and/or a herb mix to the yogurt cheese.

Whipped cream topping: mix 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and/or 1/2 tsp. vanilla to vanilla yogurt cheese. (I found vanilla fat free yogurt at my local supermarket.)

Ice cream: mix 1/4 cup low fat ice cream with 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt cheese.

Lemon Tart: place a thin cookie (vanilla wafer?) in the bottom of a cupcake paper. Spoon in lemon yogurt cheese, top with sliced fruit and chill.

Chocolate mousse: add 1 packet low calorie chocolate drink mix to 1 cup of yogurt cheese.

These all sound yummy and I'll probably make all of them sooner or later.
:)
NY Nan

CindyBGood
06-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I make yogurt creme lime this all the time and LOVE IT. It's wonderful dolloped on berries - I used Equal, sometimes a drizzle of honey and cinnamon - ah my. It's also so yummy with dill and cucumbers.

It's given a whole new life to plain nonfat yogurt, I swear!!