Veggie Challenged - Rate your veggies

View Full Version : Rate your veggies

JuliaTN
06-25-2006, 07:48 PM
OK, I'm re-dedicating myself to eating clean, unprocessed food, including more veggies. I really have a hard time eating what most people consider to be the "good" vegetables.

Most of the non meat, non grain, non dairy foods (I hesitate to call them vegetables) I eat are:
Potatoes
Corn
Mushrooms
Black Beans
Romaine Lettuce
Tomatoes (made into sauces, etc - I can't stand whole tomatoes)

I realize that most of these don't have a lot of real nutritional value so I'd like to supplement these with some better choices. On a scale of 1-10 how would the above rate.

THEN, how would you rate things like:
Artichokes
Squash
Spinach
Broccoli
Cauliflower

I just don't want to bother making myself eat squash & broccoli if mushrooms & romaine are just as good...

Glory87
06-25-2006, 08:15 PM
You might find this site interesting:

food index (http://209.196.51.230/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=17E09E7CFFF640448FFB0B4FC1B7FEF0&nm=Reference+Library&type=AWHN_Foods&mod=Foods&tier=1)

My ratings:

Potatoes - 5
Corn - 5
Mushrooms - 7 (suprisingly high in selenium)
Black Beans - 8
Romaine Lettuce - 9
Tomatoes - 10

Artichokes - 7
Squash - 6 (you mean like yellow squash and zucchini? I would rate "winter" squashes higher - butternut squash, acorn squash etc)
Spinach - 10
Broccoli - 10
Cauliflower - 6 (I should eat more cruciferous vegetables, I just loathe cauliflower)

You didn't list:

Red, yellow, orange peppers - 9
Carrots - 9
Sweet potato - 10
Avocado - 8

JuliaTN
06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks Glory, that site is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for...

I only listed things that I knew I could force myself to worry down. I'm extrememly "veggie challenged."