Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-24-2006, 08:15 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Treadmills

The area where I live is not conductive to running on the road (running off-road is heck on your knees when your a newbie), so I was considering purchasing a treadmill. For those of you that have treadmills, how often do you find yourself using them? Are you happy with the treadmill you have? I already have my own collection of rarely used gym equipment - healthrider, eclipse, weight bench, bowflex - I don't need another dust collector. I've heard of treadmills with uneven or jerky belts, so I am doing a little research online about particular brands. I would love to hear your experiences with using a treadmill.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #2  
it's always something

I love my treadmill. I would use it over outdoor walking any day of the week. I find that the time goes faster (and nicer) if I listen to music, so I strapped an mp3 player to the console. I also have to have a constant flow of air, which usually means pointing a fan in my direction. Without those two things, I can't stand to use it, lol. Otherwise, it's my personal time and I can daydream, get rid of stress, and enjoy the music.

I would suggest checking Consumer Reports for their treadmill reviews. I wrote a post last year when CR did their big treadmill report here and this years report said pretty much the same thing. They recommend staying away from department store treadmills and buying brands typically sold in sporting goods stores, such as Life Fitness, Precor, and Landice. Horizon also got a very good rating (CR Best Buy) and they are sold on Amazon at good prices and with free shipping.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #3  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

I enjoy my treadmill. I've had it for several years now. It was a dust collector for quite some time but now i've brought it back out and have been using it a few times a week. I too put on my mp3 player and point a fan at my back.. LOL Gotta love it!
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #4  

Webweevil - How you do like your bowflex? I always see them adversited on tv.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

The brand I have is called TRUE. Its said to be a very good brand, and i believe it cause we've had this treadmill for years and its still like new. Good luck! We got ours at Sears i believe.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #6  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

I have a ProForm that I got at Sears and I love it. The tread is wider than many I found when I did the research. It is not jerky, either. It has a fan and a book rack so I can be cool and read if I'm not listening to music or a book on tape.

Good luck!

Michele
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1day@atime
Webweevil - How you do like your bowflex? I always see them adversited on tv.

I'm 41 and in the best shape of my life...... just kidding. Isn't that what that man on the bowflex commercial used to say? Strength training has never been a problem for me; in fact, I would go as far as saying that I like lifting weights, but I like the traditional dumbbells. My husband prefers the boxflex because he says lifting dumbbells hurts his joints while the bowflex doesn't. Overall, it is a nicely made piece of equipment that will allow you to tone your muscles, but you'll never look like the man or woman in the commercial. My husband has been using it every other day for about 45 minutes at a time for the past two years. He is happy with his muscle strength, but he is in no way "sculpted" like the commercials would have you believe. If you have realistic expectations about what you can achieve with the bowflex, it's a nice investment.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I have an EVO FX2 and I love it. I didn't realize how nice it was until I was at a hotel and tried to use the one there in the gym. It was AWFUL. I couldn't wait to get back to mine at home.

I power walk on mine as I watch movies with a headset. The time flies and sometimes I don't even realize I am sweating.. of course the movie has to be good. Dances With Wolves is 3 hours so I watch it over the course of 3 days. I really look forward to finishing a movie I've started.

You've got to shop around and find a good mill.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #9  

I have a Hebb Trim-Up I bought about 8 years ago from a exercise equipment store. I have used it a lot, but not as much lately because it got moved to an inconvenient spot for me (my teen age daughter's request...why did I ever agree?) I plan to resume using it once I get my husband and son to move it back up to my room. It is very convenient...and hard to make excuses NOT to exercise when you are tripping over it all the time!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #10  
Mel

I have a Star Trac Commercial treadmill that I bought from a guy who wholesales used gym equipment. It was as expensive as buying a good new one, but the deck is larger and more cushioned than those made for home use, and the motor will run forever.

Like Suzanne, I put a fan behind me. My dh bought me a small flat screen TV for Valentines Day which he wall mounted right in front of the treadmill. I used headphones with it when I run, because the machine is louder than the TV speakers! But it's great to have such a smooth, versatile machine.

I use it alot...but...if I had the choice to make over again, I'd probably buy an elliptical. I can only run about twice a week even with the cushioned deck or my knees and hips hurt. I do walk on it, but walking isn't enough of a workout for me.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #11  

I bought a treadmill today. I won't be able to use it until my knees recover (jogging incident), but I am so excited!!!! I can't wait! Thanks for all your advice. I just know that the treadmill will be better for my knees than running on uneven ground. Plus I'll be running/walking inside in the air condition which is essential in Florida's heat.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #12  
Big Momma!

Height: 5,2

I have to chirp in here.... lol I have a Image 10....I have a LOVE HATE relationship...with this thing. I hate it every time I have to go on, but love it when I see lbs going off.
I have not used the thing in like 4 months!!! Due to Kids having surgerys and then I got LAYZY!!! grrrr I was doing 4 Miles a day with 2 miles running at least...... now I can barely make 2 Miles again grrrrrrr Have to start allover again!!!!

tsk tsk ,,,,,
Jasmin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #13  

Love/Hate relationship...LOL. I just started walking on mine this week. Maybe you just need some motivation. Now get on that treadmill
Old 07-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #14  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Webweevil, so now that you've started, how is it going? Is it what you expected?

Mel, what a sweet Valentine’s Day present! My portable dvd player was also a present from my honey. I can’t help but to think of him each time I jump on the mill to watch a movie.

Monet, you truly need the mill in a convenient spot. Also in a spot where it is constantly staring at you! Ours is in the room next to the foyer. It is supposed to be a “formal” living room but we’ve tiled it with the foyer and turned it into an exercise room. The mill is the last thing I see when I open the door to leave and the first thing I see when I return home. I swear it greats me with a hello!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #15  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I work out at a gym so I have lots of cardio equipment to pick from. The treadmill is my favorite. I run on the treadmill four days a week.

I really like being able to set the pace and the incline. With the ellipticals, I can set the difficulty level, but if I'm not pushing myself, I slow down. On the treadmill, I have to keep up with the pace I've set. I also find running on the treadmill to be easier than running outside (I ran a 3-mile route outside for several months before switching to the treadmill). I cramp far less on the treadmill and my knees and hips don't bother me as much. Plus, running on the treadmill isn't dependent on the weather, I'm never running against the wind, I don't have passing motorists stopping to ask if I'm having a heartattack, I don't have to deal with neighborhood teenagers making fun of me as I run past, etc. etc.

I think the treadmills at the gym are Life Fitness and they all seem to work great in terms of belt speed. One complaint I have is the location of the button to increase and decrease the speed. It is located on the panel with the readout of how fast I'm going, etc. This means that when I want to change the speed, I am sort of pushing myself backwards. It's a little awkward and the button isn't as sensitive as I'd like. I used a treadmill at a hotel once where the speed setting was on the handlebar, so that I was pressing down (instead of forward) to change the speed. The hotel treadmill also had a much bigger button and it was easier to press. This might seem like a nitpicky thing but I'm changing my speed every five to ten minutes, so it is important. It would also be important if you wanted to alternate sprinting with walking or a slower pace. Definitely test out the various controls and make sure you are comfortable with them before you buy a treadmill.

I would love to have a fan (or the ability to set up my own fan) on the treadmills in the gym. I wouldn't have much use for a book rack; I can read on the ellipticals and other equipment, but there is too much motion on the treadmill for me to read there. But if you are walking, not running, then the book rack might come in handy. The treadmill will be harder on your knees/hips than the ellipticals (but not as hard as running outside).

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote