Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #1  

Default Maintenance is harder than i thought!

Hello everybody, im stuck in a little rut and was wondering if i could get some advice. Well i have successfully lost those 10 pounds that i wanted to lose through excercise and counting calories. I increased my intake to a maintenance level which im actually still trying to figure out right now but my problem is eating without stressing over how many calories are in. Im referring to those occasional meals out with the family and what not. Also, i have a tendency to measure everything and i hate that when i dont measure something it bothers me that i put too much or too little. i dont wnat to count calories my entire life i really wnat to be able to just listen to my body and eat what i wnat in moderation but still mantain my weight with excercise. Any insight on this? some advice or support maybe to help me enjoy my summer?
Caramello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Every time I have lost weight before, I gained it back with MORE weight. For me, I have accepted that I must be accountable every day (no more "blind" eating) and make healthy decisions as much as possible. I plan to keep a food journal and count calories forever. I'm 16 months at maintenance, the longest I've ever maintained weight loss. The odds of losing weight and keeping it off just aren't good, I need to do everything possible to beat the odds.

"Listening" to my body made me fat. For me, I don't know what moderation is without estimating calories and measuring portions.

Occasional meals out with your family won't hurt you (don't make restaraunt-made fried/creamy foods a 3+ time a week habit, however). I have a treat meal once a week with wine and dessert and it fits perfectly into my maintenance life (and that meal I don't count calories at all).

If you don't want to count calories or measure stuff anymore, stop. Weigh yourself weekly, keep an eye on how your pants are fitting. If you maintain your weight loss, great. If the scale trends up a couple of weeks in a row, make small changes again until you are back where you want to be.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #3  

Thank you, ive tried that, not counting i just cant seem to rid myself of the habit, i mean i thoguht to myself, if i was nvr doing this before how did it become such a big aspect in my life. and ithought well its something i did gradually and turned into a habit, so i know thats what i need to do to get out of it, to start gradually i just cant seem to find a steady place to start, i mean i like knowing what im eating but i just feel like im the only teenager that goes through this, i mean my sister doenst diet or excersize or anything yet she has an amazing body, and thats because she listens to it, she stops eating when shes full and she enjoys everything in moderation, i wanna be able to learn to live ilke that too, is it possible?
Caramello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/133/125

I've been at my goal weight for a few months now and I count every single calorie and gram of fat that touches my lips. I measure most things and will not go over a serving size.

For me, weight loss and maintenance is a giant game of numbers. Calories per bite. Grams of fat. Weight on a scale. Weight in your mind. 1/2 a serving size times 4 servings minus that 40 grams. Number of laps, miles, reps and sit-ups. Number of times we feel the guilt and regret. Or the fear, along with the joy.

I do allow myself meals where I don't count calories. The food is of course off my diet, but it's rare so I don't gain any weight. Birthdays are also days I allow myself to eat wwhhaaatteevveerrr I want for every single meal. Mine's coming up on Sunday, so the week after I'll be exercising to lose a few pounds instead of just maintaining.
Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #5  

I think it is possible if you have really set up a routine for yourself. Experts say that people mostly eat the same 6 to 12 foods everyday. I eat five meals a day and I know what four of them are with out even thinking about it. I know how many calories I will have consumed by the time I get to my last meal of day, which is with my family. So I know how many calories I have left to play with and I adjust what I eat from there.
GinnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramello
i mean my sister doenst diet or excersize or anything yet she has an amazing body, and thats because she listens to it, she stops eating when shes full and she enjoys everything in moderation, i wanna be able to learn to live ilke that too, is it possible?
Try it and find out. Don't count, don't measure. Weigh yourself once a week. If the scale stays steady, you're doing it. If the scale goes up (and stays up for a couple of weeks) then you aren't doing it.

Personally, I don't compare myself to "naturally skinny eat whatever they want people" anymore. What works for them doesn't seem to work for me. I like big portions, I can easily eat when I'm not hungry and if there is food on my plate I have difficulty stopping just because I'm full (it tastes so good, I can keep eating). I'm better at these things, not because I stop eating when I get full and enjoy things in moderation, but because I deliberately take 1 measured serving and put it on my plate and when that's done, I don't get anymore.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramello
i mean my sister doenst diet or excersize or anything yet she has an amazing body, and thats because she listens to it, she stops eating when shes full and she enjoys everything in moderation, i wanna be able to learn to live ilke that too, is it possible?
I don't know if you can learn to live like that. I couldn't. I had a big case of "It's not fair" and "I'm just destined to be fat". I had to get past the fairness thing, if I wanted to lose the weight and keep it off. We are all different from anybody else on the planet--some things come easier than others. I was great at school, got As, never had to work very hard at that, and some people really had to bust their butts and study to do the same thing. But those same people looked great and didn't seem to work at all. I had to work at it. HARD! I still do. When I slack off, the weight comes back.

I hope you can live like you want to and keep the weight off. But you might have the choice of working hard at it and keeping the weight off, or taking it easy and gaining it back. Which choice will you make? There is no right or wrong answer, and there is certainly no shame in saying it just isn't worth the work--this is why I maintain at a size 12 instead of a size 4 and my maintenance weight is higher than some folks 'before' weight around here. It is still work, and much better than it was 100 pounds ago. But that is my choice, and you'll have to figure out what works for you, what you can live with and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I am living proof that I can't live like that. I'm now losing this weight again. I swore last time I wouldn't let it happen, but I did. Sigh. It's harder this time, and it's even more annoying to have all the clothes I bought mocking me! Like Anne, I maintained at size 12 (for 2 years), and I'm not looking to go lower this time. I'm 61, and frankly, I'm happy with the way I looked then. Here I am at my niece's wedding in 2000 at a weight/size I was happy with. Hmm, can't get the exact photo to show - it's the last one in the album.

WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:01 PM   #9  

Wowzer Pat ... you look gorgeous in that last photo. Like you and Anne, I'm as pleased as punch to be a Size 12. I like how I look and, even better, I can maintain that weight and remain sane. Like both of you, I need to measure and weigh what I eat, journal, and count calories, not to mention exercise, to hold the line, but it's worth every minute of the routine.

Carmello, what I have found over time is that I now automatically make a lot of choices that simplify the whole process. For example, I ALWAYS order sauce and dressing on the side; I almost always cut large meals in half before I start to eat (which gives me a nice lunch for the next day); etc. This helps me "listen" to the body, and when my body says "More, more more," I can tell it, nope, you're full
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #10  
Have you exercised today?

S/C/G: 271/170/170

Height: 5'8"

I always try to put a positive spin on maintenance when things get tough or I'm beating myself up. I tell myself "Be thankful that you are at the point where you can complain about maintaining". That always helps me on those rough days. Best wishes to you.
FairyWinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Thanks, Robin. It's what I'm aiming to get back to, give or take a pound or so.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #12  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyWinx
I always try to put a positive spin on maintenance when things get tough or I'm beating myself up. I tell myself "Be thankful that you are at the point where you can complain about maintaining". That always helps me on those rough days. Best wishes to you.
I love that saying!

Pat, I agree that you look fabulous in your photo.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #13  

I don't know how to do the quote thing.

Carmella You are not your sister but you are probably in better shape than your sister because you exercise. I know the exercise makes you healthier. Try and not think as of your sisters way as right and your way as wrong. You need to do what feels right to you to maintain your weight. There is nothing wrong with measuring your food.

I was obssesed with weighing and measuring my food. I would feel guilty and worried about the right amounts when I was eating out. I did gradually give it up and gained weight. I need the guidelines of of measuring and weighing. For me it is a very easy way to keep on track

I'm trying to remember the WW way. Maybe others will add to this as it helps when our dining out. It is not quite as accurate but a good guide line. Meat about the size of a deck of cards. Pasta the size of a tennis ball. Fats the size of the top section of your tumb.

Congratulations on your weight loss.
Keya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keya
I don't know how to do the quote thing.
There is a little button at the bottom of each post that says "quote". Click it when you want to quote a user's post. You can also type the command - it is [.quote]text to be quoted [./quote] (without the periods)