Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 117/110/70

Default Pis%@ed Off!!

Okay, so my dad comes up yesterday to stay, i havent seen him since i begin dieting, (kirstin his wife is also dieting and lost like 50lbs and she is anxious to see how much weight i have lost) So my dad rings her up they just talk about cr@p for a while then i hear a stutter in dads voice and he says ohh abit, then whispers just a little OMG!! like 22lbs is nothing!! Thats huge for me, and alot of others may say so as well. Right from the beginning, me and kirstin have had this compitition going between us, so everyone now see's me and kirstin in compitition, and from what i have gathered dad really seems to be on kirstins side. Lastnight i was so pissed of i found myself says "right thats it, time to get serious about this diet" Which sucks because i feel like im not doing it for myself anymore, only to blow her weight loss out of the water. And she's so blinkin secretive about how she is loosing the weight, all i know is that she is loosing it FAST and with NO exersise, although i know she is eating properly, i didnt think no exersise and weight loss existed in the same sentence. Anyway, dont mind me just REALLY annoyed my own father couldnt notice my weight loss when everyone else can. Thanks for the vent

Monique
x0_MoNiQuE_0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Ugh. Sometimes family isn't the healthiest bunch, are they? I have issues with my dad and his opinion (good or bad) of my weight, too. Luckily, my dad lives over 3 hours from me and I only see him a couple of times a year, so I'm able to do what I need to do with little or no feedback from him.

Hopefully you can find a way to separate things with her, and just tell her that it's not a race and that you're sure your dad would like to see BOTH of you become more healthy. Blow her off.

We love you and know how much work is involved with 22 pounds! WTG Monique!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Of course you're still doing it for yourself! You still want to lose and feel great about yourself, don't you? Your weight loss is awesome and you're a motivation to all of us. If Kirsten chooses to be competitive, that's her choice. Just ignore both her and your dad. You are the one in control here, not someone else. You have a right to be angry at how they behaved, but just take that anger and channel it into working out and eating right! And keep in mind permanent weight loss is not effortless or quick. She may be in for a rude awakening at how quickly she gains those lbs. back. Regardless, just keep up your hard work and you will reap the rewards! You go!
Lainey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Monique - I am sorry for your dad Just remember only you know how hard you worked and how good you feel and that is all that matters! 22 pounds is a HUGE deal!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #5  

Wait just a second here. Do not be P.O.'d. Even if you had lost 100 lbs, he STILL has to let his WIFE think that she is doing better..... He sleeps with HER, not YOU.

If he says anything to YOU about HER losing faster, just say "Well, she must have more male hormones than I do, Dad--cause men lose weight faster". You might get smacked upside the head, but it is worth it.
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbugs
Wait just a second here. Do not be P.O.'d. Even if you had lost 100 lbs, he STILL has to let his WIFE think that she is doing better..... He sleeps with HER, not YOU.
OMG! My thoughts exactly! It all boils down to that. I've thought that about when my dad kowtows to his wife even though the 'right' thing might be to stand up for the kids.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #7  
Tryin' to start strong!

S/C/G: 210/207/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbugs
If he says anything to YOU about HER losing faster, just say "Well, she must have more male hormones than I do, Dad--cause men lose weight faster". You might get smacked upside the head, but it is worth it.
I agree...a little fun, playful comment like this will let your dad know that while you're happy she's loosing weight for herself, too, you're not her, and don't want to be compaired with her. Also, it will hopefully get him to see that you don't wish to talk about the subject with him anymore. It's a real conversation ender.
starwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 117/110/70

Thanks for the support
with the whole male hormones thing.
I figure i'm struggling through it the healthy way, in my opinion i dont think you can get to where you REALLY want to be, unless you are exersising, just watching what you eat, seems too easy. One good things that has come out of this is that i am determined to do this now, i cant let any of them see that i have given up, so all i can say now is BRING IT ON!!
Actually the other night when we were on the phone i quoted one of my replys i got to a post by "sotypical" Kirstin was telling me how she hadnt touched any junk food at all since she started, and before i knew it, i quoted "You have to eat how you would for the rest of your life" So true. I figure anyone can go on a "diet" loose alot of weight, its how are you going to deal with things after its all over, it's not as though you are never gonna go through the drive though of a fast food place ever again, or eat any kinda of high in fat/calorie meal again. I feel by adding "treats" (like every couple of months or so) will help you when you get to the maintaining part. In realising junk food and fast food are "treats" that you are only meant to have once in a while, is a HUGE step, and it will only make it easy to start maintaining after you have gotten all the weight off. Tell me to shut up if this doesnt make any sense, i have the hugest problem with rambling on Thanks again

Monique
x0_MoNiQuE_0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 PM   #9  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Maybe I'm just mean, which is fine but from that one sentence I'm thinking she's saying this stuff just to discourage you and make you feel bad about any bad choices you have made that day or month/week whatever. How about changing the subject to something totally different (nicely) when she brings up weightloss and diets? That way you don't have to tell her what *you're* doing and you won't have to hear her negative comments!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote