Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 12:54 PM   #1  

Default Discussion: Normal Eating

Hi all,

What is your perception of "Normal Eating".

Elaine
Old 08-23-2001, 05:54 PM   #2  

"Normal" eating to me means that you eat regular meals that consist of a balance of carbs, proteins and fats. The meals are of average portion size. If you have a snack it is because you are hungry (when your belly growls and not just because it is TV watching time). Noraml eating means that you do not focus on food. You do not wake up thinking about what all you will eat that day. You do not make excuses to run errands just so you can stop at the store for a "binge" or go thru the drive- thru for excessive amounts of food. Normal eating is not eating by yourself and not stuffing everything you can get into your stomach in 15-30 minutes of time. Normal eating is not feasting on carbs, feeling miserable, and then 2 hours later feeling like you are starved and then do the same thing all over again. Normal eating is going to bed and being able to roll over comfortably and actually waking up hungry and ready for breakfast - not miserable from the night before. Shall I go on?

I look forward to hearing from the rest of you.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:18 AM   #3  

"normal eating" is also experiencing both overeating and undereating...the second slice of pumpkin pie is not binging necessarily - as long as this is not your usual pattern of eating on a daily basis or that you are eating because of an emotion. A normal eater "overeats" sometimes just because it tastes good. I've eaten a second helping because I thought the choc cake or cheesecake, etc tasted good, but in honesty, I was liking the soothing way that it made me feel....
Old 08-24-2001, 01:50 PM   #4  

Fullhouse.. I was hoping someone would point this out. Thanks for doing so.

"Normal eaters" absolutely overeat at times.

Since I have been in recovery.. my only rule is that I don't binge. No food is forbidden.. and when I go out to dinner.. I usually do overeat simply because I know if I don't allow myself to have what I want.. I will only binge out of anger later. However, I will deliberately eat less the next day to compensate for the previous night.

This weekend I have a special date and I am deliberately eating less because I do not want to feel bloated on the date.

This is pretty much normal eating.. it becomes sick when you jump on the starve/binge cycle.

Personally, I have never believed that dieting leads to binging.. although I know some people disagree with that. Emotional problems lead to binging. Almost everyone goes on a diet to lose a few pounds at some point during the year.. whether its after the holidays or to get ready for the summer.

Elaine R.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:18 AM   #5  

Can I join you??? I really enjoyed reading the replies to this. I can relate to so much of what has been said.

Normal eating to me means 3 meals a day and sometimes one snack. I have also learned to spread my meals out during the day and not eat them all at once I guess my main rule is to have at least 3 hours before I have my next meal. I keep telling myself you just ate and you don't need food yet. My meals include everything except chocolate. Chocolate is a food that I can't control once I have had a taste of it.

For me strict dieting leads to binge eating. I'm more of a binge eater. In the past I would get over weight decide to diet which I would restrict my calories to much which would lead to a BIG binge. I walk that fine line. The type of eating I do now works well if I keep reminding myself to follow what I know is sensible instead of some quick fix. Thanks for the great question, it really made me think.

211/178/140

Last edited by Mistypink; 08-26-2001 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:48 AM   #6  

Mistypink.. welcome... of course you can join us!

Best,
Elaine
Old 11-17-2001, 12:39 PM   #7  

Normal eating is also emotional on occasion. Like everyone else said, as long as you don't jump on a cycle again, you should be able to eat emotionally. Meaning, if your life is in the toilet, eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's can be considered normal. It is when you eat the pint tonight, tomorrow, etc that is not normal eating. Just ask any friend who you consider to have normal eating habits. I'd bet there's been a least one occasion of tears in her ice cream bowl.

Just remember, normal eating is not the same for everyone. My husband eats nothing until lunch, has a big supper and snacks during the night. Does he gain weight? No. (Lucky i say) But this is normal for him. (and his weight, cholesterol etc are all fine)

Stay positive. The hardest lesson I have had to learn is that food is not the enemy, but sitting in one place feeling sorry for yourself ie sticking with your eating disorder, is.

chel
Old 12-03-2001, 12:22 PM   #8  
Are We Nearly There Yet?!

Hi! Please can I drop in
Normal eating... my flat mate eates normally - she's a great cook, she eats a plateful, and that's it - a plateful - of whatever she's cooked, with whatever ingredients she's cooked with. She loves chocolate - has a bar a day probably, along with a glass of wine in the evenings... it's just part of her diet. She has toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, something during the day if she fancies it... if she has a bit of a blowout, it doesn't bother her - after all, EVERYONE overeats sometimes... occasionally she doesn't eat at all... not because she's compensating for the previous day, but because she's simply not hungry... and through all of this, she remains a perfect size 5... food and exercise do not rule her life.
I would love to have a normal relationship with food - I've messed around with it for so long now, that the slightest increase in my calorie intake shows on the scale immediately... it would be nice not to let the scale rule...
Chel - you're right... normal eating is different for everyone... it's my relationship with food that I'd like to sort out -
I spend all day every day thinking about what's for my next meal, and when I'm going to be able to eat it... calculating the number of calories I've taken in... calculating the number I'll expend at the gym that evening... feeling great when I'm hungry... awful when I'm not. If there was a test I could do, to tell me what, and how much I should be eating... how much I should really weigh... what size my genetics say I should be... how much exercise I really need to do to maintain a healthy and balanced life, I take it... I'd pay £1000 to take it!
Don't know what else to say really. I'm glad other people feel the same though.
Take care
Closed Thread