Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-18-2006, 03:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140

Height: 5'2

Default I recommend kickboxing!

So I joined this site because I have plans to gain a perfect bikini body in the next month.. impossible as that dream might be it's still something to aspire to. Although that's definately not what this post is about. Although I don't have my dream figure yet I have found that KICKBOXING has got me a figure I can like and enjoy.

For anyone looking for an interesting and rewarding workout I would always recommend a good kickboxing class. My kickboxing classes happen twice a week, one night is spent doing "fitness", during which the sensi's practically run us into the ground with circuits and sprints. The other night is filled with 13 rounds of sparring and afterwards techniques. If you can find a class in your area with the same basic regime GO FOR IT. Although reading about the sprints and circuits may be an automatic turn off, honestly it's not THAT BAD. It's only an hour and a half a week and the end results are fantastic! Plus it's FUN, you get a chance to meet a lot of new people and unlike the 'lone-ranger' gym approach it means you are able to laugh about your shaking knees and red face at the end of a hard workout.

Age is not a factor. At my club in particular the ages range from the youngest (before the kids class) at 12 and the eldest at 50! We have people joining every few months and often the novices are adults. Our last two beginners were both over 35.

Confidence is also a huge factor with Kickboxing. Not only will you be toning and getting incredibly fit but you gain an edge. Something I noticed when I walked into the dojo for the first time was that every single person in that room seemed to have a quiet confidence about them.

The benefits of Kickboxing (coupled with healthy diet of course) are blatantly obvious when you look at stars such as Eva Longoria, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Angelina Jolie and many more.

So that's my testament. If this has tempted you in the SLIGHTEST I strongely recommend you check it out. You won't regret it.
mtyler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Interesting! The kickboxing itself sounds good but you can imagine my thoughts on the sprints and circuit training. Yuck! I believe they are offering kickboxing as a leisure or adult education class at the local community college. Maybe I'll take a look at the class description. You didn't mention, do you have to wear a uniform of some sort?
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140

Height: 5'2

oh i forgot about the uniform! at my club you do but i know some people who went to a few classes elsewhere and they didn't have to. we have (interesting) blue trousers and just a baggy white t-shirt with the club motif on it. you should definately go to the community college and try it out!!!! my recommendation clothes wise is flexible trousers that will sit around your waist. don't try the fashionable hipster style trackies. you end up flashing ur builders bum everytime you stretch and kick too high! believe me I know =(
and yet again the sprints and circuits arent bad! really! also if you have a competitive streak it makes it a **** of a lot easier, because your watching everyone running past you and well... its motivation.
mtyler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

your kickboxing class sounds much more than mine! mine is kind of like tae bo-- i enjoy it and it definitely works me in ways that running, weights, and the elliptical do not!

is your class part of a regular gym, or is it more like a martial arts studio?
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #5  
No description available.

I second your recommendation! I love my classes and the best places on my body that are getting toned are my abs, buns, thighs, and arms...Pretty much everywhere hahaha!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

kickboxing rocks!

I have more stamina, more fitness, lost weight, toned up, gained flexibility, gained confidence realised some dreams that I never thought would happen and found some great friends!

If you are competitive, this is for YOU! Compete with yourself to get that extra push-up in with perfect form, compete with the other "tough girl" to see if you can beat her in a sparring match, compete with the kids in your flexibility, compete with the Sensei about healthy eating, lifestyle and fitness, but most of all learn from everyone in the class.

TRY IT!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #7  

i love my kickboxing class! my first experience with kickboxing was at the ymca. i took the class there (mostly cardio kick) for about 1 1/2 yrs. when i moved away i joined a 24 hr fitness and took the cardio kick class there and HATED it! too frufru for me. then i joined a nitty gritty kickboxing gym that was mostly targeted to people interested in training-- i liked it alright, totally the other end of the spectrum from 24 hr fitness. we spent a lot of time on form, etc and sparring but it was sometimes a little intimidating. i went there for about 4 or 5 months and they closed. flash forward a year (a year of not going to ANY gym at all ) and i'm at my current gym. all they do is kickboxing-- kids and adults classes (ju jitsu, etc) and cardio kickboxing (which is the class i take).

m/w classes are regular cardio kickboxing (kick/punch routines set to music) with a healthy dose of squats/crunches/pushups and f/sat classes are a pads circuit (you and a partner doing punch/kick routines with one another). i go three times a week and look forward to it. my class is made up of people with varying levels of fitness-- and the instructor will often call out to 'choose your level' and show low vs. high impact ways of doing some of the moves.

i've been going to this gym for about 5 mos and i've really noticed how toned my arms are getting. it's also a great way to vent!
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:01 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I just had a small thought... Anyone with bad knees, some of the twisting moves (side kick, roundhouse kick, back kicks) can put some pressure on your knees.

If in doubt talk to your instructor. I know after an hour of hardcore backkick training, my kneecaps are about falling off!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the warning 2frustrated!
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote