Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default How do I start running?

I am thinking I want to try running, but I don't even know how to start. I haven't ran in 25 years probably. I do have access to a treadmill, but the gym is always so busy I would probably die of embarassment. Is it better to start outside? I wonder if I can even do it? Can I run?? I always wondered what I would do, if someone came after me.....try and sit him down and have a conversation?? Just give in and let him have his way with me, rather than run? Now, I see an option of maybe running away. Maybe I should have someone hire someone to attack me and see if I would/could run!! LOL!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Cheryl, you weigh about the same as me. I ran every day for 10 years when I was slim, but I'm so embarrassed to run outside now. Stupid, I know.
However, I'm joining a running group next week. It's part of my weight loss clinic, so it'll be all chubbies running.
I know you'll get some great advice here, but I'd recommend a run/walk program to start with.
Warm up, walk for about five minutes, then run one minute, walk two. For 20 or 30 minutes total, or whatever you're good for.
I know there are some links on the Internet to those kind of programs... I'll see if I can find one if you're interested. I tried one from Prevention magazine a few years ago.

As for the treadmill... I have one, and I do find the impact of running on it as opposed to hard ground less of a stress on my body. Particularly at my weight.

Congratulations on your weight loss, btw!! 55 pounds is AWESOME!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

Search Cool Running Couch To 5K Running Program online. It describes what Ellis is talking about. I just started it myself and it seems very doable. Good luck!! You can do it!!
Shrinking Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #4  

Here's a few links...
http://www.runnersden.ca/walkrun.htm
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040401/tips/22.html
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...0-1693,00.html
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...a&ct=clnk&cd=8

Oh, and if you don't already have a good pair of running shoes... they're really essential.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #5  

Shrinking Mama, congratulations on starting... good luck to you, too!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/163/155

Height: 5'10"

I got some good advice and plenty of encouragement in this thread . There are a few of us who are using the CoolRunning c25k program to progress from no running whatsoever to 5K in eight weeks. You might want to give it a try!

Good luck!
idest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #7  
no regrets!

S/C/G: 300/300/196

Height: 5' 11"

I was thinking this myself recently. Another forum I'm on has a few runners on, so I talked to them.
I bought myself a good pair of running trainers and have been out for one short run so far- i was so out of breath! But I suppose it won't get any better if I don't try.

My plan till I get my confidence up is to go out late- like 10.30pm... I live in a safe neighbourhood so I'm not worried, but there doesn't seem to be people out and about at that time around here which is good.
Vampiric Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #8  

I'm a beginner runner. I was sooooooo stressed about starting to run, but it was something I really wanted to do. I'm not great yet, I stilll have to walk a fair bit, but my walking intervals are getting shorter and running ones longer.

A very good sports bra and running shoes are essential.

I run on the treadmill at the gym, and no one has ever looked at me funny!!!

I also run outside, which I find a bit embarrassing, but not enough to stop doing it
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

I just started running this week myself. I walked for a half hour each morning for a week before starting the C25K program. Yesterday was my first running day. This morning I got up early to walk for 30 minutes. I am hoping the walking briskly on the mornings I am not running will help to keep me loose and help to build up my endurance. My cardio ability really sucks right now! I've looked a head at the first three weeks running schedule and they seem to be doable. Week four and five is when they really start getting hard.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

HadEnough- Go for it! I have always admired those that wrap their efforts in any sport they enjoy, including running. My 12 yo daughter is my mentor for all things athletic. She sets her mind and determination on what she wants, and does it! So I say, let that be your first step. Then, PLEASE get yourself some good running shoes. This will not only protect your feet, but will help you to endure longer with the higher impact.

I have never been athletic, but recently wanted to pick up running as a cardio exercise. I started doing the Couch to 5K program from CoolRunners.com and am absolutely loving it. We just found out that Atlanta will be hosting a marathon sometime around March 2007 and I would like to do it and/or the Peachtree Road Race next July 4. So I am using these as my carrots to keep me motivated and self-disciplined.

Determination is key: sometimes you just have to get yourself out the door and just do it. Afterwards, it feels so good!!
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote