General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Arrow Which Shake Is Better???

I'm thinking of adding a shake daily with my lunch, b/c I usually don't eat anything then so I want to make sure I'm getting enough calories, I'm wondering what is better? slim fast shakes or protein shakes or does it not matter??

I don't think I'm getting enough calories when I try to eat healthy, which makes me just eat huge amounts of anything lol So Im thinking a shake would be a quick and easy way to get nutritents and calories.
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #2  

Protein shakes. Slimfast shakes are mostly sugar. Buy some protein powder and make one in your blender with fresh fruit.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I agree! Get a good protein powder and jazz it up however you like . Slimfast shakes are loooaded with sugar.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #4  

Nature's Plus makes a Cookies & Cream protein powder and it is deicious. I have several of these every week. Sometimes breakfast and sometimes lunch.
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/195/135

Height: 5'4"

FYI-

Slim-Fast shake with low carb diet on the label has:

1g sugar
20g protein
190 calories

for me they are the best tasting/highest protein/easiest way for me to diet on the run
southerndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I buy plain protein powder in a bulk food store then fix it up however I like. Usually that's frozen fruit, psyllium fibre and splenda.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #7  

The whey protein powder my husband uses has 29g protein and 3g carbs per serving. Slim Fast is not known, in any of its mixtures, for being very healthy according to my nutritionist. It's like $20 a container and makes over 40 servings so very economical. Comes in several flavors but we get vanilla and add fruit, etc.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree-even the high protein/low carb versions of Slim Fast use a cheaper QUALITY protein in them, which is why they are so economical (cheap) compared to other protein powders, or shakes.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #9  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Wow Slimfast hating! LOL! Well I love Slimfast and they have really made strides lately to improve their products. My favorite is to blend the chocolate powder with ice and fruit. Quick and simple which works wonders in my day! Good luck!

~melissa
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am not a Slim Fast "hater", it is just I sort of have a scale of "bad~better~best" sort of a thing.

Like...if you start out with a Pop Tart for breakfast (bad), and make the change to having a couple slices of toast instead (better), and then later on make the change to having 100% WHOLE GRAIN toast in place of that.

Pop Tarts are bad, and the regular toast would be a better choice than that, but the whole grain toast would be an even BETTER choice.

It is sort of just the "scale" of things. Regular Slim Fast would be the worst meal replacement, the High Protein Slim Fast would be a little better...but the BEST would be one of the better quality protein powders mixed with skim milk/fruit/ice etc. for a meal replacement instead.

The thread is about what the BEST meal replacement shake, or protein powder shake would be.

BTW-meal replacement shakes/powders and protein powders are different in composition...meal replacement shakes and powders have a balance of protein and carbs, as well as fiber and other nutrients for a more "balanced" mini meal on its own.
Protein powder is just that-a protein supplement. If you are using protein powder-it usually has to be mixed with some other food-such as milk, fruit, etc. rather than it being okay on its own for a meal.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #11  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I get that, and trust me if I could afford it I would most likely buy a high quality shake mix, but for the money Slimfast is a good alternative. The thread really did sound like "dont buy slimfast its awful stuff though" I just wanted to add another perspective. I agree with what you say about there being higher quality, its just alot pricier too.

Slimfast products really have gotten alot better, I remember the old days of the "regular" slimfast and how much sugar was in there. I like the Optima and the High Protein products much better but miss all the flavors of the old stuff. I suspect thats why there are less flavors because its costing more to make them now.

The Slimfast plan itself has changed immensely too. Its no longer a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch and a sensible meal. When I'm following that plan I eat all the time...and EAT, not have shakes or bars. Finally they are getting it that you've gotta eat to lose. Just eat the right things!

Okay I'm rambling! Putting off mowing the lawn! LOL!

~melissa
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #12  

Try EAS low carb protein shakes. 1gm fat 110 cal 0 carbs,xcept choc of course....inexpensive and taste pretty good
MissaMe is offline   Reply With Quote