Old 06-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #1  

Default how do you know?

ok, how do you really know what to choose to have that exact calorie count at the end of the day? I was in my work place cafeteria today and was making my own salad at the salad bar. I had no clue how many calories was I picking (spoonful of broccoli, handful of lettuce, some black olives, carrots and some red beans. then a lil bit of poppy seed dressing!!!) how do you count when it comes to such things (when its not written on the packet)?
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, first off, it takes time. Over time, you'll not only internalize rough calorie counts for specific foods or food groups, but you'll also be better at eyeballing portions. So, for example, you'd know that broccoli is about 25 cals a cup, and you have about half a cup on your plate, so you've got about 13 calories of broccoli. Or, if you had 2 cups of spinach, you'd know that was about 14 calories total. You'll learn these values over time for the foods you eat often, and can make educated guesses about similar foods - When in a situation like that, I know that green, non-sweet veggies (like cucumber, broccoli, etc) are generally around 25 calories a cup or less, lettuces are under 10 calories a cup, starchy veggies like corn and peas are around 100 a cup, etc. This allows me to keep an eye on the calorie count so I'm not blown away when I track at home later.

Second, when its really impossible to know, I try to keep amounts moderate for non fruit/veggie items - for example, with the poppyseed dressing, I would have done as you did and had just a little bit, then put it into a calorie counting program like FitDay when I got home. Its not exact, but it gives you a rough estimate.

Combining these two strategies should help you reduce some of the anxiety around not knowing calorie counts on all foods when you eat out.

Hope that helps!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I just accept that all my calorie counting will be at best ball park estimates. I do the best I can to enter the amounts in Fitday, but I don't get all hung up over it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I just do my best to eyeball it too... I figure I'll probably overestimate half the time and underestimate the other half of the time so it'll even out . I'm getting better at eyeballing portion sizes though. I do measure things at home though... my DH is constantly complaining about all the dirty measuring cups and spoons LOL.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #5  

Thanks friends...yes I think I'll get used to it as well!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote