Weight Loss Support - It's too hot to exercise!

View Full Version : It's too hot to exercise!

madscientist
06-13-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm a heat sensitive person and it's been 90+ for weeks here. The heat, whether i'm in it or not, drains me and makes me tired. So what shred of motivation I had to go workout at Curves is all but vanished. I can't imagine leaving the nice A/C to go out in the hot sun, drive in aggravating traffic to and fro just to go some place that is going to make me even hotter. I've been experiencing this for two weeks now and it really sucks. I love, love, love to hike and really want to but of course, I'd die if I tried in this heat. I'd have to drive an hour and half off into the deep Rockies where it's far cooler to be able to hike and that's not feasible. As the temps climb, my exercise options dwindle.

Any ideas?

ValRock
06-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Can you do an exercise tape indoors?? I stay in and do power pilates when it's too hot to jog here :D

mandalinn82
06-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I spend the vast majority of my exercise hours in my living room, AC going full blast, doing a tape, my stability ball, or jogging on my rebounder. I am with you on not being able to stand being hot. I've also started looking at options in the early mornings - I've been canoeing lately on weekends, and its 70 or so at 9:00am, and a nice breeze on the water, which keeps me plenty cool.

Watersports that get some water on you might be good to try too. The water will help keep you cool. On that note, what about water aerobics or just going for a good swim? Even if you just play around in the pool, you get a good number of calories burned if you keep moving, and it DEFINITELY takes the edge off a hot day.

lilybelle
06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I do my treadmill inside or exercise tapes inside. Anything outside must be done in the water or I am miserable.

TamiL
06-13-2006, 10:13 PM
If its really hot outside, I just walk in my little pool (making a whirlpool like a kid, LOL). The pool is just a 3 1/2 foot pool, perfect for walking in.

telemetrynurse
06-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Some of the malls here open early --like at 7AM-- for people to walk/exercise.
I don't know if it's an option where you are but thought I'd mention it. They keep those malls COLD!

midwife
06-13-2006, 10:31 PM
I get up at 5 and exercise in the cool dawn...It is peaceful and perfect. Just say no to excuses!

Cassie501107
06-13-2006, 11:10 PM
DVD's! They're PERFECT for avoiding the HOT weather!:D

madscientist
06-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I appreciate all the input and everyone taking the time to reply to me.

The problem with tapes is that I live on an upper floor of an apartment. I'd drive my neighbors crazy because I know how thin these floors are and how much it sucks to listen to people bouncing around on your ceiling. I use to live on the first floor until the noise drove me crazy and I had to move upstairs. I've also looked into some equipment that wouldn't be noisy, but my weight far exceeds the limits. It's **** to be THIS big. What I wouldn't give to be 200-230 right now and work down from there.

Also, the pool isn't that big and it's summertime and there's alot of families with small kids in this complex. I'm not very big on kids in the first place, but it'd be hard to swim with all of them in my way. I could basically just splash around but again, not keen on the kids and listening to all the headache-inducing shrieking that comes with them. I use to go at night occasionally but they've changed the hours from 7am-10pm to daylight hours only. So I'm screwed there.

I've tried walking in malls and really... I hate it. It's the most boring walking place ever, just watching shops go by. It also doesn't help that I can smell the food court as soon as I open the door. The mall nearest me is where all the rich skinny blondes hang out and it's like walking into a fashion show. Way to make myself feel better about myself. Especially since they look at me like i'm a Martian (a big fat one) and giggle to their other Barbie and Ken friends. I swear, I am not hallucinating or having any highschool flashbacks. We can say I shouldn't care what they think but it does piss me off and make me feel worse about myself when I see them doing it.

It may all sound like excuses, but it's just the reality and I don't think i'm doing anything positive by forcing myself to do something that will only make me feel worse (or make my neighbors mad). It would probably only serve to make me hate exercise because I'll associate it with all these bad experiences. Not that that isn't already sort of a problem.

QuilterInVA
06-14-2006, 03:39 PM
We seem to have lots of excuses so I guess you just don't want to exercise. You could always get a chair aerobics tape. It's for handicapped people who can't stand but gives you a good exercise that will raise a sweat. I mall walk at 7 am. Lots of old people but they don't make fun. If you want to do it, you can find a way.

Heather
06-14-2006, 06:56 PM
I understand about the heat sapping you -- I am hoping that now that I'm a lot smaller (though still fat) that I will noticed a difference this summer -- I already have!

As for exercise:
- Exercise at home but don't do anything bouncy! (start with stretches -- get a stability ball). I started with very little exercise and still lost weight last summer.
- Bring music to the mall! (I love my ipod!)
- Or find another indoor place to walk!
- Walk the stairs at home, or work (again with the ipod)
- Find a closer gym
- Find another place to swim

If you find a way to move (any kind) next summer may be better (weight seems to make heat insensitivity worse).

Good luck!

Mel
06-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Get a fan, a "Walk away the pounds" tape, and stop making excuses. You don't need to do loud, bouncy exercises at home. The skinny blondes aren't at the mall at 7am- it's full of retirees escaping the heat, and generally the only thing open at the food court at that time is the Starbucks. Have a black coffee.

Get an mp3 player, and start walking. If people stare, stare back at them!

Mel

fitgal2
06-14-2006, 07:35 PM
What about water areobics??? is there another pool near you? Does you building have a common area where you could workout? Could you go to an office building and climb the stairs? what about the stairs in your place?

willmakeit
06-14-2006, 07:38 PM
exercise in the evenings or early mornings! I usually work full day and have to leave early morning...so i run in the evenings. its nice, breezy and fun to watch more people in the park!

almostheaven
06-14-2006, 08:39 PM
When I started exercising, I lived on the third floor. I did WATP videos nearly every day. I also spent some time last summer walking in the pool, and if there were too many kids that you can't have room, you just go earlier...before the kids are likely to go swimming. Kids aren't generally fond of swimming at breakfast time...go then. Get some hand and ankle weights and just march in place...no bouncing, no stomping, just a gentle march, while you watch a movie.

As for Curves, they keep the AC up. If yours isn't cool enough, ask if they can increase the AC, if they won't, try another location. Three times a week isn't much to get cool in your home, spend a few minutes going out in the heat to start the car, then go back inside to stay cool while your car cools off. Then it's a minute to get back to the car, the car into Curves, and vice versa. You're not out in the heat long enough to get drug down.

You could also try those gadgets I've seen advertised that go around your neck and are supposed to keep you cool, or keep an ice pack handy for when you're outside to keep you cooled down.

I can't get into mall walking either. When they're open occasionally, yeah, but just walking daily...and early hours before the shops open...ick. And you're right, if you don't enjoy it, you're not likely to stick with it.

But reality is that you are making excuses. I've done it...still try to do it sometimes. But I have to tell myself that they are excuses. Realize them for what they are, then do something about it. I remind myself of how I feel when I'm done exercising...I love that feeling. I remind myself of how I used to look...don't ever wanna look like that again. I remind myself of my son...and I want to be around for a very very long time for him. So I exercise. And if I have legitimate reasons I don't like certain things, I work on the problems and find solutions to work around them. But when I think about it real hard, most of the reasons aren't legitimate, but they're my excuses. Only a few are ever really legit.

madscientist
06-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Well, I would really like to just thank just a few of you here who just make me feel so very "supported." Not just by telling me I'm a liar when I say they are real obstacles and not excuses but by judging me and questioning me as if I don't know what it is I think and I don't know how things really are in my own life and you instead know my situation better than I do.

I don't see why I'm getting judged here because some ideas just don't work for me. If places were switched, i'm sure there's some that I might suggest that wouldn't work for you either but I'd hardly sit here and tell some stranger over the internet they're excuses when I don't have a clue if they really are or not because I'm not them. Besides that, I only asked for suggestions for exercise. I didn't ask anyone their opinion of wether or not I was making excuses. I'm a big girl, I can think of that for myself and deal with that myself and have in the past. If you think they are excuses and don't like that, you honestly didn't have to write to me and tell me that. It wasn't necessary for someone to tell me that they guess "I just don't want to exercise." Do you really think I'd waste my time posting a question I didn't really want an answer to? It doesn't matter what it may SEEM like to you, assuming isn't fair and it's not helpful especially when you have, what, a paragraph worth to go on? But again, I didn't even ask.

I'm really not sure how anyone thought that could be supportive or helpful to me to tell me what I think and feel. This is supposed to be a Support forum but it sure doesn't feel like it from where I'm sitting.

To the rest of you, thank you for your suggestions. Despite words on the contrary, I do appreciate the input and ideas and will think them over.

This is the last I'm going to post about this, I'm not going to try to justify myself any further.

Heather
06-14-2006, 10:42 PM
madscientist -- as I read the responses, I could see your answer coming, because yes, some of the responses did seem harsh and blunt. But it also seems that you asked for suggestions from others about exercise, and then shot them down when people gave them to you.

I think people were trying to be helpful. I also have a feeling that a lot of people also heard themselves in your words. We have all probably been in a place where we came up with lots of reasons why we couldn't do X or Y. What's the difference between a "reason" and an "excuse"? I think it's in the interpretation.

When others said you "were making excuses" you heard it very differently from "having reasons". Excuses don't mean you are lying. I think what people are saying is that those reasons are not necessarily justified, while you are saying they are justified.

We have all made excuses for not exercising. I still do sometimes. So I don't think people were calling you a liar, but trying to get you to look at your behavior in a different way. I know that I resisted incorporating regular exercise into my life for years, and had all kinds of valid reasons: time, ability, lack of space, funds, etc. But now that I find ways to make it work, I look back and re-interpret those reasons as excuses.

madscientist
06-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Harsh and blunt I can take. Unsolicited judgments and assumptions I will not. I may have shot the ideas down, but not saying anything at all would just mean others who responded would repeat the same thing. I don't want anyone wasting time saying something that I can already say won't work. And furthermore, why should anyone get upset if their idea won't work and gets shot down because of it? Hey, they tried. That's cool. Everything isn't for everyone. I have my own lifestyle and schedule and limitations and preferences and so on. I would think people around here could get that and not take it personally. I said I appreciated the input and people taking the time to respond to me and I meant that.

I did not however appreciate people going on to tell me that I am wrong when I say they're not excuses and acting as though they know better what I'm saying than I do. If for no other reason than simply because it's rude to do that to someone you don't even know and therefore, don't really have any evidence one way or another. And what if it were an excuse? So what? Like I said, if someone doesn't like what I'm saying, it is not necessary to reply to me on a Support forum and tell me their negative opinion about it especially when I never asked. That's hardly supportive. If they think I'm making excuses and being ridiculous, by all means, don't waste time responding to me. Or at least find a more constructive and less judgmental way around it. I've stuck around here because up until now, I've gotten encouragement when I post here. This is not what I am here for.

The bottom line is that regardless of wether someone see's it as justified or not, a "reason" or an "excuse" I did not ask anyone their opinion about it and the unncessary, unsolicited commentary was rude and very unhelpful from my POV. If I'm making excuses, the only person who needs to deal with that is me. Being rude to me about it on a forum is really not going to make me see it any more than before... that is work to be done by me and me only. Been there, done that. I've been doing this long enough that I think I know when I'm making excuses and when there's something real that is in my way. Of course, if anyone had bothered to really ask or talk to me about that, they'd know all of that. But I guess I was only worth a quickie judgment call.

Thank you for being decent to me in your response and taking the time for explanation rather than judgment.

Jayde
06-14-2006, 11:57 PM
I know that I resisted incorporating regular exercise into my life for years, and had all kinds of valid reasons: time, ability, lack of space, funds, etc. But now that I find ways to make it work, I look back and re-interpret those reasons as excuses.

Wyllenn, your post has been very helpful to me. The other day when I was reading a post about a woman with young children who couldn't get her exercise routine together I decided not to post anything. To myself I said, "What have I got to offer? I couldn't get exercise together either when I had kids and a job and blah blah blah." Now that I look back no matter how busy I was I could have fit exercise in. If I had known how and had recognized my lifestyle as unhealthy. I would have to say a lot of it was 'excuses' that I thought were justified reasons. And a lot of it was just not knowing how to fit it in or what to do.

I make excuses. This week I've made plenty. Sometimes the little excuse maker in me even loves it when someone stops by unexpectedly during my workout. Though she says online "I was interrupted again today. Boy I wish people would stay away sometimes." In actuality a part of me is jumping for joy 'cause I've had enough. :devil:

Madscientist, In order to workout and stay cool, I was thinking that many pools have special times available for adults only. If your pool doesn't I would suggest it to the manager. Perhaps an hour before opening to everyone else in the morning or later evening hours on a certain day.

Heather
06-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Jayde -- One of the many strengths of this site is that we all find little "clicks" and ideas from so many places. I look back at myself who didn't exercise, and I think you're right -- some of my excuses were about not really knowing how to fit it in, some was about not knowing how it would work, part of it was laziness and not being ready to make a commitment to exercise, no matter what.

When I look in contrast at the past year, however, I see someone who found ways to fit exercise in regularly, even when I was busy or sick (not deadly sick!). The biggest difference was the commitment I made to myself. I didn't do it every day, but I made a commitment to do so much of it a month and found a way to fit it in, even if it meant making other sacrifices. If I'm going to do this for the rest of my life, I'm going to have to keep doing that! And keep reminding myself that it IS possible!

veggielover
06-15-2006, 11:29 AM
when its HOT, like REALLY HOT, its the best temp for power yoga! (The heat helps most people when they stretch)

almostheaven
06-16-2006, 01:07 AM
I know that I resisted incorporating regular exercise into my life for years, and had all kinds of valid reasons: time, ability, lack of space, funds, etc. But now that I find ways to make it work, I look back and re-interpret those reasons as excuses.
Exactly. When I started back to school after losing a chunk of weight and regaining some lost energy, I saw myself slacking on exercise. I mean...I was working 8 hours a day 5 days a week and going to class 4 hours a night for 3 nights a week...WHEN would I exercise. So I didn't on those 3 days. And then there was homework. But that wasn't what I wanted. I NEEDED to exercise. I still had weight to lose and was NOT getting back into my old rut. So I got a bike and started biking to work. And I started running on my lunch hour. At least even just walking was better than nothing. I was determined to continue exercising. I just had to find time to do it on a full schedule. And realized that it wasn't that full, I had a whole hour to myself everyday at lunch. :D

The nice thing about it is that I also found a way to save time for the rest of the week. I would run and end up at the store back near the office and grab a salad from there...along with some of the grocery items we needed for the week. I'd then get in my weight lifting carrying them up the hill back to the office. I'd stowe them in the office fridge to take home after work and eat my salad at my desk. There! Shopping all done, exercise all done. Didn't have to go shopping on one of the days I wasn't going to class. ;)

Misti in Seattle
06-16-2006, 02:57 AM
I am really sensitive to the heat also and absolutely HATE it. When it is hot I have to go more slowly with my walking and stuff... but I am absolutely determined I am going to DO it no matter what and get this weight off!

I had kind of a compliment recently on that, in fact. A woman at work came up and asked if she could go walking with me at lunch so we have been going for the past couple weeks. She told me she chose me to ask because she wanted to commit to it and to go with someone who was really going to DO it rather than decide to take days "off" and go to lunch, etc.

Now that the pool is open I am coming home a lot of days and jumping in... our pool is not heated so it is wonderfully refreshing. I love it even though the weather has been cool. Yah sometimes I have to put up with the shrieking kids <G> but I go right after work at 5 PM so most of them are not out there at that time. :)

Anyway, sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do. There was a quote here that someone posted a while back that has really inspired me... "If you love the results, learn to love the process." That is SO true and I have found that when I love the process... even when I have to remind myself to love it... it really does help!!!

angieME
06-16-2006, 11:13 AM
You could always buy a recumbent bike and sit in your livingroom and watch tv with a fan blowing on you and get in a great workout everyday. My favorite bike was only like $100.00 at Kmart. This way you are getting in a workout,not making any noise for your downstairs neighbors, it is cheap and it is in the privacy of your own home. That is what I did the last time I lost all of my weight.

amberzade
06-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I have the same problem. But my cable service has a station called AHN ... so I watch those ... and record them ... and use exercise tapes.

Good luck!!

fitgal2
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
madscientist -- as I read the responses, I could see your answer coming, because yes, some of the responses did seem harsh and blunt. But it also seems that you asked for suggestions from others about exercise, and then shot them down when people gave them to you.

I think people were trying to be helpful. I also have a feeling that a lot of people also heard themselves in your words. We have all probably been in a place where we came up with lots of reasons why we couldn't do X or Y. What's the difference between a "reason" and an "excuse"? I think it's in the interpretation.

When others said you "were making excuses" you heard it very differently from "having reasons". Excuses don't mean you are lying. I think what people are saying is that those reasons are not necessarily justified, while you are saying they are justified.

madscientist: this is a very good point made by wyllen, what is the difference between a REASON and an EXCUSE? No one here is saying that you are lying and no one is judgin you~ how can we judge when we have all done it at one point. I made the decision not to use the fact that i have a Metal rod in my leg from removing Cancer as my "reason" not to exercise my life was soccer before cancer, I was very angry and felt nothing could replace it~thus gaining weight cuz I didn't exercise, but once I had my "wake up" call, I simply made the decision to TRY new things ~ I changed my thinking. I think most of the posters here just want to help and maybe they are a little harsh but we all need that "wake-up" call at some point.

I hope you find something that fits your needs, maybe do a google search for low impact exercises? or heck DANCE!!!! that is something we all "can";) do, its low impact, fun, and you can do it at home--pop on MTV and dance like no one is watching!!!!

Hpnotq
06-17-2006, 01:07 PM
or heck DANCE!!!! that is something we all "can";) do, its low impact, fun, and you can do it at home--pop on MTV and dance like no one is watching!!!!

There's nothing wrong with looking like a fool in your own home. That was how I got my exercise going when I first started a few weeks back. I absolutely HATE the heat but you do what you gotta to get what you want...that's my thinking :)

fitgal2
06-18-2006, 10:19 PM
There's nothing wrong with looking like a fool in your own home. That was how I got my exercise going when I first started a few weeks back. I absolutely HATE the heat but you do what you gotta to get what you want...that's my thinking :)

Agreed!!!

if one wants something bad enough they will do what it takes to get there, regardless!

Cheryl14
07-02-2006, 01:57 AM
How about yoga? I couldn't believe how much I began to sweat when I started my yoga done to beginner yoga DVDs that I got at the library! Yoga wouldn't make any noise, and the flexibility that you get from the practices is a great bonus! I also do weight training using barbells. Those don't cause noise or bouncing either.

Cheryl

Michelle
07-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm a heat sensitive person and it's been 90+ for weeks here. The heat, whether i'm in it or not, drains me and makes me tired. So what shred of motivation I had to go workout at Curves is all but vanished. I can't imagine leaving the nice A/C to go out in the hot sun, drive in aggravating traffic to and fro just to go some place that is going to make me even hotter. I've been experiencing this for two weeks now and it really sucks. I love, love, love to hike and really want to but of course, I'd die if I tried in this heat. I'd have to drive an hour and half off into the deep Rockies where it's far cooler to be able to hike and that's not feasible. As the temps climb, my exercise options dwindle.

Any ideas?

I have to totally agree with you on the heat and exercising thing. It has been very warm for us lately, in the middle 90s and one day up to 118! It doesn't matter if you have a fan or not, to even work out to a video in your home, which is what I always do, won't work when it's this hot. I have about 13 WATP dvds that I use, but when the heat comes out, and I'm not making up any excuses, it makes me very sick to my stomach. Also, I agree with you on the apartment thing. If nobody has ever had to apartment live below people, they have no idea what it's like to have that above your head. It does make a person feel so much better when we are able to get our exercise in, but I for one, cannot handle the heat either, and I'm hoping as I lose more weight, I will be able to handle it better.:^:

sportmom
07-02-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm glad to hear that you have a/c in Colorado, cuz when I lived there in the late 80's we didn't and they told us we wouldn't need it. LIARS!! lol That dry heat bakes you dead. Anyway, I have found 2 pilates dvd's at the library that I liked so much I ordered from amazon resellers for like $8 each. Pilates for weight loss by Suzanne Deason, and another title of pilates by Ana Corbin. They both have lovely ocean scenery that gets you past the drudgery of staring into the tv. Floor work, no noise. Just thought I would pass on the titles. They may not be cardio per se, but they get my heart rate up, get me sweatin', and the next morning I FEEL it! It could get you thru until September, which my memory tells me is when the mornings get delightfully crisp in Colorado (at least, in the Springs where I lived).