Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - When was the last time you had a nice big salad?

srmb60
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
We've all read about eating 'bath tubs full of greens'. But when was the last time you have a nice big salad? I had one the other night and couldn't believe how long it had been! It was iceberg lettuce, grated carrot, zucchini and radish. With full fat caesar dressing :o

Glory87
06-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Pretty much every day for lunch for the past 3-4 weeks. Big tupperware of spinach, pepper strips, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, dried cranberries, nuts (slivered almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds), grilled, skinless chicken (chicken must be HOT), balsamic vinaigrette.

Allikat
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
For lunch today! I had mixed baby greens with toasted almonds, raspberries, crumbled gorgonzola and Vidalia Onion dressing. Yuuuuummmm.

cemetarysiren25
06-13-2006, 03:29 PM
I have one every day, whether it's for lunch with tuna or chicken mixed in or before dinner!! Romaine lettuce, broccoli, peppers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, baby snow peas, fat free Italian Parmesan dressing and sourdough croutons. I actually look forward to eating my salads!!! :)

LLV
06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Last night. Had a big spinach salad with sliced carrot, red onion, mushrooms, diced reduced-fat swiss cheese, chopped cooked chicken breast, and a bunch of other yummy stuff thrown on :)

LLV
06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
For lunch today! I had mixed baby greens with toasted almonds, raspberries, crumbled gorgonzola and Vidalia Onion dressing. Yuuuuummmm.
Oh my gosh, do you buy that Ken's Steakhouse Vidalia? That stuff is heavenly and I 'weaned' myself over to the light from the full-fat. That's what I had on my spinach salad last night.

ellis
06-13-2006, 04:09 PM
... when was the last time you have a nice big salad?
About three years ago.

nelie
06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't have a salad every day but I usually have a nice big bowl (or tupperware) of mixed fresh veggies. Today was celery, cucumbers and red bell peppers. I also generally have cut up fresh veggies with lunch and/or dinner.

Allikat
06-13-2006, 04:30 PM
I buy Tastefully Simple's Vidalia Onion. If you've never heard of Tastefully Simple, you're probably better off! It's in-home parties, where they make a ton of food and you get to sample it all. Beer Bread, Bacon Dip, Key Lime Cheese Ball - all of it is meant for easy cooking and entertaining. The dressing has 140 cals and 11g of fat...but I figure the rest of my diet is pretty low fat, so I don't mind allowing myself some fat here and there.

ValRock
06-13-2006, 04:33 PM
I was going to have one last night with dinner but I was toooo stuffed! I think I had one the day before yesterday... I'll have one with lunch today :D YUM

srmb60
06-13-2006, 05:10 PM
It's just 'huge' amounts of servings of vegetables, so easy and cheap for the most part!

Suzanne 3FC
06-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Lunch today :) I LOVE salads. I make them in a mixing bowl :lol: Though I can't stand iceberg lettuce, and always opt for baby spinach, butterhead lettuce, or other fancy lettuces. Today I had baby greens with onions, kidney beans, and Vidalia Onion and Summer Tomato dressing.

My favorite salad includes chopped apple and/or dried cranberries, with gorgonzola cheese and a light balsamic vinaigrette.

LindaT
06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Next week my fav chicken fiesta salad is on the menu. I love the reduced cal/fat dressing from Trader Joe's. Parmesan Ranch or Cilantro maybe on my salad.. with a side of homemade baked lime tortilla chips!

Mixed baby greens for me too, except when making lettuce wraps then it has to be iceberg!! :D

LadyFirelyght
06-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow... it's been awhile. I think the last salad I had was a tostada salad with homemade no-oil-added "refried" beans, homemade salsa, a little bit of low-fat cheddar cheese, green onions, a couple black olives and iceberg lettuce in a baked tortilla. It was delicious, and had good protein in it! But... it's been about a month :o

netflower
06-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Every day!

Today went to a work lunch, had a giant salad...mixed greens, topped with about a cup of real shredded crab, 1/2 an avocado, cucumbers, a boiled egg and tomatoes. I skipped the egg and had fat free vinigarette instead of the gooey thousand island that usually comes with it. So good!

athenac
06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I just finished one. Romaine and iceberg lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, sugar peas, carrots, egg, chicken, and low-fat blue cheese dressing.

Mel
06-13-2006, 09:04 PM
At least twice a day. *twitches nose like a rabbit*

Salad? (http://www.gocomics.com/cathy/2006/06/11/)

Mel

jtammy
06-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I have one almost every night. Leaf lettuce or romaine lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, olives, bacon bits, cheese, salsa ranch dressing mixed with taco sauce. Other ingredients vary depending on what veggies are in the frigde. Nothing fancy, but I look forward to it and it sure helps fill me up.

phantastica
06-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I've found a salad at work that is cheap and good (and probably even cheaper to make!). For $4, I get romaine lettuce, about 3 oz cooked chicken, sliced strawberries, and mandarin oranges. They offer a fat-free raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Yum!

punkrockgrryl
06-13-2006, 11:15 PM
i had salad for lunch all last week. a big bowl of spinach and romaine with broccoli, dried cranberries, black sesame seeds and 1/2 can of tuna drizzled with a tiny bit of liquid aminos and sesame seed oil with some dulse tossed on for good measure (drool).

amb_lyn
06-13-2006, 11:23 PM
I had one tonight also. I bought one from Subway.. Yum!!

Heather
06-13-2006, 11:46 PM
I had one at my favorite salad bar restaurant Sunday (I've gotten really good at keeping it healthy there!).

Tonight I made a small salad with 40 g spinach, 100 g strawberries, 1/2 oz feta cheese, 1 tsp sunflower seeds and a drizzling of an outstanding 12 year aged balsamic vinegar. I do love me my balsamic vinegar!!!

srmb60
06-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks Mel for the cartoon reminder ;)
Today I have romaine!

mudbugs
06-14-2006, 04:42 PM
I have one everyday too...sometimes twice a day..last night I had a really big salad with balsamic vinegar and a tortilla pizza. One of my favorite dinners. My mouth is watering as I type this.

WaterRat
06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
I have more of a medium sized one most days! :) Tonight we're going to a bbq where you bring your own meat and a dish to share. I taking a lovely big salad - along with a fresh salmon steak :D

just_a_dreamy1
06-18-2006, 12:57 AM
The other day I had an amazing garden salad at Joey Tomato's that had dried cranberries and sliced almonds. So...I bought both today when I went grocery shopping. *lol*

I am big on salads, since I don't count vegetables as part of my daily calories and they are just so good!! I experiment alot. I like the idea of boiled egg. For lunch a few weeks ago, I had a seafood salad with the most amazing Italian dressing...I still have to ask them what it's called so I can buy it!

I really like romaine hearts as my lettuce. Then I'll add tomato, cucumber, tuna or salmon, chickpeas...anything that hits me as healthy and tasty. I don't like being bored with my salads, so I'm always looking for variety. For dressing, one of my favorite is simply olive oil & red wine vinegar. Or...even nothing at all...especially if it's topped with something that has mayo in it, like tuna salad or seafood. But I always get TONS of olives. I LOVE olives.

BlynC
06-21-2006, 03:32 PM
LInda....with a side of homemade baked lime tortilla chips! Those sound delicious..How did you make them?

Diem
06-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Today I had a Subway Club salad at Subway with one packet of fat free thousand island dressing (50 calories) on it, with some Baked Lays. Was great.

sugarlove
06-21-2006, 06:46 PM
I usually eat salad at least once a day with dinner - typically spinach with a homemade vinaigrette (love all those vitamins in spinach ;) ).

Now that summer is upon us I'll be eating "summertime" salads more often - things like corn and tomato salad, chopped salads, salads as main courses with grilled chicken, etc. :carrot:

mandalinn82
06-21-2006, 08:04 PM
There is a restaurant in my town - basically, you pick field greens or romaine lettuces, then pick 7 items (you get a little less than 1/4 cup of each) from a VAST array of toppings (everything from cheeses and nuts to fruits and veggies and beans and croutons...oh my. My favorite combo - red bell pepper, broccoli, kidney beans, carrots, green beans, sometimes corn, and grilled zucchini, on field greens with fresh grilled steak and just one ladle of the reduced fat honey mustard dressing). Then you can top with fresh grilled chicken or steak off their grill (and its a REASONABLE portion! I measured it once when I took it home - under 3 ounces). They grab all your toppings and then toss the salad with the dressing of your choice in these big bowls so everything gets a light coat of the dressing (the tossing is great because if you only get a little dressing, like me, everything still gets coated). So good, and so fresh. Give me a glass of iced tea and my salad, and I'm a happy camper. They also serve these with a small (under 100 calorie - again, I measured - nerd, I know) piece of sourdough bread or foccacia, which is great for mopping up any leftover salad dressing at the end.

This is my go-to "Its too hot to heat up my kitchen cooking" meal - we eat there and get big ol' salads probably once a week.

just_a_dreamy1
06-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Diem, I love Subway! The only time I was ever dissapointed there was when they told me they weren't allowed to put extra black olives on my salad, even though I was willing to pay for them.

Madalinn, you are so lucky! that sounds amazing!

skaytea
06-25-2006, 04:49 PM
I got sick of buying lettuce mixes and having them turn into unrecognisable wilty mush after a couple of days in the fridge, so I started growing my own. I've got a few different loose-leaf varieties going in different tubs, as well as some baby cos in a windowbox. I love being able to pinch what I need from a pot, just as I'm making a salad.

My boyfriend and I munched into a huge salad (grated carrot, grated white cabbage, red pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, mixed leaves) with grilled chicken breasts and wholewheat pitas for lunch today, and we came to the conclusion that we'd really rather eat this than any fast food. T'was a revelation!

LynneA
06-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I had my first salad in a long time this lunch: romaine, baby butter lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, red pepper strips, gorgonzola, baked chicken breast and light 1000 island dressing. It was really good and filling! I'm having the same tomorrow.

2frustrated
06-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Haven't had one in a while, but last time I had a HUGE salad for lunch it sent me to sleep! Something about the lettuce they say!

I do love Pizza Express salads though (minus the dressing) I think they put grated beetroot in them :T