LA Weight Loss - Truly Personalized Online Menu??
06-13-2006, 11:20 AM
This is my 1st post, so I hope I'm posting in the correct area...
I'm looking for a website that allows you to choose from an exhaustive list of each food I like, then spits out a weekly menu/grocery list based on the foods I checked off. I'm not too particular about the specific diet, as long as it's low calorie. I know there are sites that present "substitutions", but I'd like something more personalized, as I tend not to like the "subs" much better. Of course free would be preferred, but I'll pay for it also.
I could've sworn there was a website many yrs ago that did this (maybe ediets?), but of course I can't find it now (when I need it the most).
Thanks in advance...
06-13-2006, 12:08 PM
eDiets will do that :) Most of the subscription diets offer that feature now. They will present a menu based on your preferences, and you can view each meal and change it from a list of other choices if you prefer. Then they compile the ingredients into a shopping list for you. There is also a free website called Nutrihand that offers a similar service for free. It's not as comprehensive, and is a little tricky to navigate the first time or two, but they offer some unique meal ideas and recipes and may be worth checking out :)
06-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks Suzanne - so ediets will exclude the foods I do not like from the menu plan?
I'm not looking so much for one that offers substitutions, they're usually no better than the original choice or I get stuck eating the same thing...
06-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Any other suggestions?? I need to join something soon before I lose the nerve...
06-17-2006, 01:53 PM
There is an on-line diet plan run by WebMD that I think does what you're asking. You take a very comprehensive quiz about your food preferences and what you're currently eating, and it designs a menu that uses the foods you prefer while making gradual changes in order for you to lost weight. I'm not sure of the exact web address, but if you look up WebMD you can probably find it.
06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks much Lori - I'm off to check out WedMD, crossing fingers that it's what I'm looking for...
06-24-2006, 01:22 PM
JigglyBits said: "Spark people! I'm a subscriber, its free, generates menus and grociery lists, allows you to substitute the foods you don't like for others, tracks your weight, exercises and allows you to track goals too.. take a look"
JB, thanks. I've tried Spark and it is not the type of plan I'm referring to. I'm referring to a program that allows you to choose all foods you eat/like, and then generates a weekly menu based on those food selections. (As opposed to one that just outputs a generic menu, and let's you make subs).
I have checked out WebMD, but have not joined yet. I'm not sure if it will meet my needs, but it looks the closest to what I'm looking for, so will try it and report back. In the meantime, I'm still searching...
09-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Just wanted to update this post so that it can help anyone else in my situation. I found a greatsite called FORMULAZONE.com $25 for 3 mths. It's devoted to those followig the Zone diet, but it really applies to any dieter. It's been a week and half and I've lost 5lbs already (tho my goal was only 2) with limited exercise. What I liked/why I joined:
- 7 day money back gaurantee - WeMD didn't offer that- so I could test to see if it was the type of interface I as looking for...
- Even tho it's the Zone ( 40-30-30 Low glycymic etc), you can set your preferences to track calories, as opposd to protien, fats instead. So it'll design a menu that is in your calorie target.
- Main reason I like it: If they suggest a menu or meal you don't want you can change just that particular meal (as opposed to the whole menu), further if you like a meal, but maybe don't like 1 ingredient in the meal it presents you with at least 25 different choices (still zoned, still correct calories) for that 1 ingredient. Example if you do want to have a pizza recipe, but can't stand mushrooms, it'll present a list of substitutions for mushrooms. Furher you can choose from a large list of recipes and add them to menu if it sounds like something you'd like, so you are never stucK eating something "just because you're on a diet".
- You can plan menus up to 4 weeks in advance and customize to you, or you and partner or the whole family.
- The recipes are great! I can't believe the stuff I've been eating! It's been so yummy (all sorts of different pizza's, burritos, wraps, muffins etc)!!! There is something like 2000 member recipes, but dieters are encouraged to stick to low glycymic recipes only until the weight drops.
- And yes it spits out shopping lists, rinted menu plan, progress charts et like the other sites...
This is the closest thing I've come to a customizeable online menu plan without seeing a nutritionist, and for less than $8/mth it can't be beat.