Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Question

When you got your time off for the procedure and recovery, were you able to go on disability (ie getting paid) or did you have to do straight FMLA (no money)
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I had a lot of disability banked up if you will with my company, so I got full pay for 6 weeks.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I think I can get 8 weeks full and 17 weeks at 66% how did you get approved by your works insurance?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #4  

My work combines vacation and sick leave, so I had a lot of annual accured because I didn't take much time off. Of course I tried to go back to work in 3 weeks and I really needed more time.

What do you mean about work's insurance KO? Are you talking about worker's comp insurance relating to disability? Or are you talking about regular health insurance? I'm not sure you can get state disability insurance to pay for time off here in CA. I do know that they will cover pregnancy leave.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

our FMLA is different than CA but I remember My sister at her company still got money while she was out recovering from Surgery
I might need more time to recover due to my disability walking etc I was just wondering if I could qualify for disability while recovering
Old 06-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You need to go to your benefits department and talk to some one there, all companies are different.

The only thing I had to do was fax and fill out one piece of paper (with no info about what kind of surgery I was having) my boss signed it and that was it. Then I called our "disability" people, gave them some information, they gave me a claim # and I was done. They sent paperwork to my doctor so I didn't have to do anything.

I think you'll be okay with 6 - 8 weeks. I know folks who go back to work in 1 week. Everyone's different. I'm glad I stayed home the 6 weeks though.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I am required to use all my vacation time. Then I can get 100% pay for 6 weeks and 66.67% for up to 17 weeks. I don't think I will be at it that long though. I think it all depends on the disability insurance provider that your company has.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

I didn't get paid anything. I'm a realtor....and if I don't work I don't get paid. I took 4 weeks off and some of the people I'd been working with bought houses from somebody else. Good side of it is......I have a lot more energy now...so I'm selling more !!!! I've more than made up for what I lost.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote