Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #1  

Default So, any of you guys have a hip problem?

All right, I am finally realizing I gotta exercise. Problem is a bad hip. I won't moan and cry about how bad it hurts, but ...it keeps me from doing a lot of things. I can RIDE a bike; but I can't get ON a bike. If I had a helicopter to lift me up on it, things would be cool.

Walking any distance is out of the question -- even with my cane, it hurts. bad. I am good for the first 5 minutes, then fuggetaboutit.

I can't be the only one on here with a bad hip....so what do you all do for exercise??
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #2  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I don't have a bad hip but wanted to suggest a recumbant bike for exercise
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #3  

So, telemetrynurse...tell me what is a recumbant bike?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #4  
Meg

A recumbent bike is a low bike with back support.

It might be a lot easier for you to get on and off of since the seat is about at chair height. Do you belong to a gym where you could try one out?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #5  

How about some aqua-exercises...like water-jogging etc...?
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

My left hip gives me trouble...has since my early 20s. Deep stretching is the only thing that helps me. I'm virtually hip pain free when I deep stretch it through yoga positions focused on the hip. I do light stretching nearly daily and try to do a 30 minute, hip focused stretching session about 2 times per week. I don't know what your hip problem is, so this may not help you.

Swimming and water aerobics are great ideas. I enjoy both and neither bother my hip.

Good luck.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #7  

Yeah, the water thing (swimming) would be good....if I had the nerve to get into a swimsuit!!!

And the recumbent bike, I don't think I could get on that, unfortunately. I have arthritis in my hip, and it really limits my movement.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #8  
Meg

Mudbugs - just about everyone in the water aerobics class at my gym is much larger than you are! You'd feel totally comfortable in your bathing suit there and I'm sure it's true at every other pool and class. Maybe you could go watch a class first and check out the other people in it? You might feel a lot more comfortable once you see that there are people of every shape and size!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Mudbugs - I don't know about hip issues, but I do know that you shouldn't feel nervous about your body in a swimsuit. No one but you will care. I don't know what yours in like, but my local pool has ladies only sessions. Something like that may make you feel more comfortable.

Last time I went to an aqua-aerobics class (some years ago now), I went with a friend and we both wanted to lose only 14-21 lbs. We were the thinest in the class by a long way, and we were also the least fit!
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #10  

Oh thanks you guys for the recommendations.....Meg, I know there are people who are "fluffier" than I am at the pool...I just don't have the guts. If I could swim in a bikini top and a pair of sweat pants, I would feel like TOTALLY self-confident.

I think I have a real problem with body image-- gotta work on that.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Mudbugs, I used to feel like a pile of poop in my bathing suit - black with a skirt, of course. Then someone (a 3FC?) told me to just pretend I was a fashion model carrying a long-stemmed rose and walk out of the dressing room and into the pool with my head held hight. It works. Just DO it! You will feel so good in the water and it will do your hip (and the rest of you) lots of good.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #12  

MUDBUGS: I have Lupus and have had serious hip and knee joint problems. I can walk, but goodness, my knees kill me when I do! Now, water aerobics...wow! I admit I am blessed with an in-ground pool, and that helps, but the water jogging and aerobics has been AWESOME. I just found out not too long ago I am diabetic, and the water workout lowers my glucose levels as well as a walk does. Sometimes better! There is no stress on your joints, and the resistance helps enhance the workout, but you hardly feel like you are working out. Instead of costly flotation belts, I use those fun noodles like a hobby horse,and they work great. My sister goes to a Y where she lives and said they use them in the water aerobics class too. You can do deep water jogging with one, and use all the same muscles as if you were biking, or running.
Go try a class at a Y. As Meg said, there are plenty of folks larger than you. I see from your ticker that I outweigh you by a rather hefty amount, and I can relate to your feeling shy about wearing a bathing suit in public. Here is how I got over those feelings: I figure if I am out DOING something about my weight, like exercise, no one has any right to look at me twice. If it is all women in the class, who cares? Most will be there for the same reason- to get exercise- and will applaud your efforts just like they do here.

I love water aerobics/jogging so much, I am panicking about when we close the pool this fall and I can't swim until spring! My husband tells me I can walk more in the cooler weather, but I am secretly considering a Y membership so I have a place to swim!

Go for it! You will LOVE it, and I am willing to bet the healing properties of water exercise is going to help your hip a lot!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

You can also get DVDs of "chairobics" that will give your upper body some working out and could raise your heart rate enough to be counted as cardio. I'd have a look through Amazon - I think that's where I saw one.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Now now, thats no excuse LOL, here' a swim suit I think you'll like. It covers alot. I have a suit that covers my thighs... it looks like a skirt, really cute.

Here's the link.... surf the web, there's so much out there its mindboggling.

http://www.junonia.com/thumb-5-Swimw...uits-False.htm

COOL HUH !!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swim suit.jpg (5.9 KB, 6 views)
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Look at all the pretty skirt type suits here... oh they are darling..

http://www.roamans.com/roamans/layou...&rootdept=610&

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote