Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Ben and Jerry's now comes in indivisual-serving containers.

DairyQueen
06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Yesssss. I just bought one (they sell them by the ones!) because I didn't have to worry about eating a whole pint in one sitting again.The best tasting foods in controlled portions is the best.

Meg
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I thought the pint was the single-serving size? :?:

friendlykat4u
06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
:lol: leave it to you Meg!

DairyQueen
06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
LOL, no. A pint is four servings, but most people eat it alone or split it with one other person. These are teeny tiny cute little ice cream containers that look just like the larger ones that come with their own plastic spoon under the lid. They're actually even less that one serving, because a half-cup serving of B and J's chocolate fudge brownie ice cream is 260 cals per 1/2 cup and this container is only 230 cals. They also had cookie dough, but I'm buying that some other time. Too tempting to keep in my house if I'm not planning on having it tonight anyways.
Oh, and they were only 99 cents each! How awesome!

Stephanieee<3
06-08-2006, 06:43 PM
OMG! I lovvvveee B and Js! Where did you get them!???

mudbugs
06-08-2006, 07:19 PM
oh great. that's all I needed to hear.

DairyQueen
06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Was that sarcasm or...? I can't really tell.

DairyQueen
06-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I already PMed you, but Fred Meyers.

DairyQueen
06-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I found it at the website under novelties.

http://www.benjerry.com/our_products/flavorWorld.cfm

And here's some pics (NOT taken by me, I googled "tiny ben and jerry's" to find them) so that you can see the size.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goins/148039261/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goins/148039244/in/photostream/

mudbugs
06-09-2006, 08:15 AM
DairyQueen--yup, that was sarcasm...The only thing that keeps me from buying B&J's is because I know I will eat the whole container. Now they have put it in smaller containers so I will be tempted to buy those. Just what I DO NOT need. Maybe they won't sell them here in my neck of the woods. I hope.

DairyQueen
06-09-2006, 10:51 AM
DairyQueen--yup, that was sarcasm...The only thing that keeps me from buying B&J's is because I know I will eat the whole container. Now they have put it in smaller containers so I will be tempted to buy those. Just what I DO NOT need. Maybe they won't sell them here in my neck of the woods. I hope.
Is a 230 calorie dessert really that hard to work into a diet plan? It isn't all that much and could be added to any diet by making little cutbacks here and there. You could eat all healthy food and be motavated to stick with it because you know at the end of the day Ben and his brother Jerry will be waiting in the freezer. Like just one treat a day with absolutly no nutritional value and everything else really nutritionally dense.

Mel
06-09-2006, 03:59 PM
230 calories is a meal for me. Everything I put in my body has an effect: in the case of 230 calories of fat and sugar, it's not positive. The result would be bloat, cravings, water retention, and missing 230 calories of nutritionally positive food- healthy carbohydrates and lean proteins. No thank you.

Mel

ValRock
06-09-2006, 04:13 PM
230 cals is a LOT of cals for me too... If I REALLY want an icecream fix I'll just eat a spoonful and be done with it, but the little containers are really cute!

friendlykat4u
06-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the info DairyQueen! :)

While fitting in a treat like that may not be for everyone out there, it's appreciated when someone shares information. Who knows, maybe someone who's been working really hard and staying on plan for a while may want a treat like that. :D

DairyQueen
06-09-2006, 07:12 PM
You guys eat 230 calorie meals? Are you on just 690 a day or something?

Meg
06-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Yep, I eat five meals a day, around 250 - 300 calories each. Coincidentally, my standard breakfast (protein shake) is 230 calories, just like the B & J ice cream cup. :) But my 230 calories buys me 35g protein, 6g carbs, and 6g fat. Hmm, don't think I'll be swapping any time soon. :lol:

ValRock
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
I eat Six 200 cal meals to put me around 1200 a day :)

I'm not really willing to replace one of them with a sugar rush!!! EEEEEEEEEE

Mel
06-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I eat 5-6 meals of 200-300 calories each per day. My 4 pm meal was an oatmeal-cottage cheese-eggwhite pancake with about 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries sprinkled on top.

The pancake has 216 calories, 4 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbs, and 28 grams of protein. The blueberries are about 20 calories, and 5 grams of carbs. Total calories for the meal (which tastes like blueberry shortcake ;) ) are 236 with P/C/F ratios of 45/40/15.

Like Meg, I think I'll be avoiding Ben and Jerry's for my meals. I maintain on about 1500 calories and have maintained a 60 pound weightloss for almost five years now.

Mel

ValRock
06-09-2006, 09:21 PM
I eat 5-6 meals of 200-300 calories each per day. My 4 pm meal was an oatmeal-cottage cheese-eggwhite pancake with about 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries sprinkled on top.

The pancake has 216 calories, 4 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbs, and 28 grams of protein. The blueberries are about 20 calories, and 5 grams of carbs. Total calories for the meal (which tastes like blueberry shortcake ;) ) are 236 with P/C/F ratios of 45/40/15.

Like Meg, I think I'll be avoiding Ben and Jerry's for my meals.

Mel

I think I NEED that recipe!!!

Mel
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Here ya go:
Put the following ingredients in a blender:
4 egg whites
1/4 c. dry oatmeal flakes
1/4 c. fiber one cereal
1/4 c. lowfat cottage cheese
sprinkle of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Blend it until it's a batter. Pour into a pre-heated non-stick skillet with a spray of Pam. Top it with fruit as it cooks (1/2 apple, diced peach, 1/2 diced pear, blueberries, etc or strawberries after cooking), flip and cook. I usually cook it 4-5 minutes per side at low heat. This lets the fruit get soft and carmelize. Serve with SF syrup if you aren't squeamish about artificial sweeteners.

I also sometimes add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree to the blender and lots of pumpkin pie spices for a pumpkin pancake.

All the fruit versions are around 250-260 calories.

Or 1 tbs. cocoa in the batter and top with 1 tbs natural peanut butter for a Reeses pancake. But then you are in the 320 calorie range :devil:

Mel

ValRock
06-09-2006, 10:34 PM
HAHA! Thanks!

DairyQueen
06-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Yep, I eat five meals a day, around 250 - 300 calories each. Coincidentally, my standard breakfast (protein shake) is 230 calories, just like the B & J ice cream cup. :) But my 230 calories buys me 35g protein, 6g carbs, and 6g fat. Hmm, don't think I'll be swapping any time soon. :lol:
This is OT, but why is there fat in your protein shake? If you get a low-carb low-fat protein powder, and just blend it with diet V8 splash, 230 calories will actually buy you 42 grams of protein. Also, when you mix protein with fat it has the effect of making you tired, so I wouldn't drink that in the morning.
And I respect everyone who isn't interested in B&J's. I guess it wouldn't fit into your plan with a 55/39/6 ratio of calories (that's fat/carbs/protein). Personally though, I would prefer to just subtract a little fat from each other mini meal and add protein to make it even out and make this one mini meal. But thats how I just am, I'd rather have a cinnamon roll for breakfast and nothing but egg whites, tuna, and mustard for the rest of the day that even out my meals. I can't help it, no day is complete for me without a total splurge sweet that's "the real thing". But maybe thats just me.

Ruthxxx
06-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey, a Turtle Ice Cream bar is only 280 calories! If I eat five a day, that'll be my 1400 calories. I must try it. Thanks for the info. This sounds great to me.
Once in a while can't hurt and I get so sick of eating healthy stuff.

Jordan1975
06-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I think what we've learned from this thread is that we can't be judgmental about what anyone chooses to eat, or not eat. If someone is comfortable fitting an individual serving of full fat ice cream into their diet, great! If someone else knows their body and that their own tendencies make even that little bit of ice cream a "trigger" food, or something that wouldn't work in their diet, then that's great, too. If we've learned nothing from this entire weight loss support community, it's that not everyone loses weight, or maintains weight loss, the same way. The word "support" means that we all respect each others choice in how to do that, and keep the judgements out of the conversation.
*steps down off of her soapbox*
ahem. we now return you to your regularly scheduled message board.

ValRock
06-10-2006, 04:06 PM
This is OT, but why is there fat in your protein shake? If you get a low-carb low-fat protein powder, and just blend it with diet V8 splash, 230 calories will actually buy you 42 grams of protein. Also, when you mix protein with fat it has the effect of making you tired, so I wouldn't drink that in the morning.
And I respect everyone who isn't interested in B&J's. I guess it wouldn't fit into your plan with a 55/39/6 ratio of calories (that's fat/carbs/protein). Personally though, I would prefer to just subtract a little fat from each other mini meal and add protein to make it even out and make this one mini meal. But thats how I just am, I'd rather have a cinnamon roll for breakfast and nothing but egg whites, tuna, and mustard for the rest of the day that even out my meals. I can't help it, no day is complete for me without a total splurge sweet that's "the real thing". But maybe thats just me.

I'm venturing to guess that she puts healthy fat ie. flax seed in her shake... it's a whole different ballgame from the fat in icecream :).

mudbugs
06-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Dairy Queen, I wasn't meaning to be cranky when I said, "great--that's all I needed to hear". I looove ice cream, and knowing these cute little containers are out there calling my name is gonna make me go looking for them. . :D

2 weeks ago my husband talked me into going out one evening for a little bitty ice cream cone, so I did....and I felt like a big load for 3 days after that.

Even that fat free sugar free ice cream they sell has 110 cal in 1/2 cup. A half a cup? Shoot...that is just a mouthful to me. :D

penpal
06-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I'd rather have a cinnamon roll for breakfast and nothing but egg whites, tuna, and mustard for the rest of the day that even out my meals. I can't help it, no day is complete for me without a total splurge sweet that's "the real thing". But maybe thats just me.

Oh, this must be the Ben & Jerrys/Cinnamon Roll/Eggwhite/Tuna diet I've heard so much about! :lol: :rofl: