Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Things to do with fresh mint?

View Full Version : Things to do with fresh mint?

mandalinn82
06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
So, I'm having a mint abundance problem. I have a planter of chocolate mint which I planted last fall - it flourished through winter and spring and has grown to the size of a small shrub, overtaking everything else in the pot and basically growing like a weed. In addition, my organic produce box this week had...what else...fresh mint.

I am drowning in mint. I may dry some for chocolate mint teas, if I can figure out how to do so - mmm. But what to do with the rest? Anyone have any favorite mint recipes? All the ones I used to cook are paired what (what else) chocolate and cream and butter and not exactly low cal...though there is nothing like a chocolate mint mousse.

Why does the mint grow so well, and the basil (which I have 10 million healthy uses for) always dies? At least the rosemary (another 10 million use herb in my kitchen) is flourishing this year.

Thoughts?

LindaT
06-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Here is a whole list of things I found on allrecipes to use with Mint.

http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/Ingredient.aspx?i1=mint&n1=&q1=&i2=&n2=&i3=&n3=&i4=&n4=&siteid=52&srt=1&Submit=GO

This is one recipe I have tried that does have mint in it. And don't make a face when you see it. :lol: It's quite tasty

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_27115,00.html

mandalinn82
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Oooh, maybe I'll break out my inner housewife and make mint jelly. That'd be good to have on hand for lamb, when we have it.

Or maybe we'll just have a mojito party at my house.

Allikat
06-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Here is an interesting recipe from Cooking Light:

Cucumbers with Yogurt and Mint

1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 cups sliced seeded peeled cucumber (about 2 large)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Add cucumber; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 30 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 57(6% from fat); FAT 0.4g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 4.3g; CHOLESTEROL 1mg; CALCIUM 144mg; SODIUM 340mg; FIBER 1.9g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 9.8g

Allikat
06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
And here's another one that includes those whole grains you want to try on your other post:

Tabbouleh with Fresh Mint-Yogurt Dressing
From

3/4 cup water
1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
2 tablespoons diced seeded peeled cucumber
2 tablespoons frozen green peas, thawed
1 tablespoon diced onion
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
1 tablespoon minced green onions
1 1/2 teaspoons skim milk
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 small garlic clove, crushed
2 medium tomatoes (about 3/4 pound)
1/8 teaspoon salt

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in bulgur. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Drain well, and let cool.
Combine bulgur, diced cucumber, green peas, and diced onion in a bowl, and toss gently. Combine yogurt and next 8 ingredients (yogurt through garlic) in a bowl, and stir well. Pour yogurt mixture over bulgur mixture, and toss gently.

Core tomatoes, and cut each into 6 wedges, cutting to, but not through, base of tomato. Spread tomato wedges slightly apart, and place on serving plates. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon salt evenly over tomatoes, and spoon 1/2 cup bulgur mixture into each tomato.

Yield: 2 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 54(18% from fat); FAT 1.1g (sat 0.3g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 2.3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.5mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 118mg; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10g

Allikat
06-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Third times a charm..here is one other suggestion. You could whip up a big batch of mint tea..here is a recipe you could make bigger. And I'm sure you could omit the sugar and it would still be tasty:

Moroccan Mint Tea

2 1/2 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons loose Chinese gunpowder green tea or green tea
6 mint leaves, crushed

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and steep 5 minutes. Strain tea mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
Note: When you get loose tea from tea bags, one regular green tea bag will yield 1 teaspoon loose tea leaves.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 17(0.0% from fat); FAT 0.0g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 0.0g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 0.0mg; SODIUM 0.0mg; FIBER 0.0g; IRON 0.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 4.2g

telemetrynurse
06-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I just tried this recipe last night and it is FANTASTIC! I did not use the pita or olive oil and it was still very tasty. I've also made it with fresh spinach instead of the lettuce.

FATOUSH (lebanese salad)

Ingredients:
1 cup diced cucumber
1/2 lettuce ( Iceberg or Coss ) chopped
4 tomatoes diced
1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
1 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 tbs. olive oil
1 pitta bread cut into small pieces and toasted under the grill
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Serves 3 - 4

Combine all the above ingredients in a deep dish, mix and serve as a starter or side dish.

Diamond
06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
add boiling water to a cup with a few mint leaves for delicious mint tea

MTHead
06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Mojitos!

Xan
06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Stick a sprig or two of mint in your iced tea. Don't crush it -- that's mean! :) Add lemon and it's heavenly.