Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - "Fast Food Fix" Book

View Full Version : "Fast Food Fix" Book

mandalinn82
06-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I found this really interesting - the author basically spent months in her kitchen, re-creating and tweaking fast food favorites with lower fat and calories, while trying not to have much impact on taste. I know that I sometimes get a fast food craving - though not as much as before - and think this might be a way to save money (because you're cooking at home) and some fat and calories.

Granted, some of the recipes still don't end up as clean as I'd generally like to eat, but I figure, if I really really want a Big Mac (I hate them, but its an example) and I can get something that tastes pretty much the same for 174 calories less, I'll call that a small victory. And her KFC popcorn chicken recipe saves over 300 calories, and most of the reviews I've read says it doesn't really taste much different, despite being "oven-fried".

Just thought I'd share - the book is getting really good reviews. And - google "Devin Alexander Fast Food Recipes" - ABC news has a couple on their site (for a cinnabon, the big mac, mcdonalds fries, subway meatball marinara, and a starbucks blended mocha frappucino) that you can try for free.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594863105/ref=dp_return_2/002-2396840-5965637?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

LLV
06-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Granted, some of the recipes still don't end up as clean as I'd generally like to eat, but I figure, if I really really want a Big Mac (I hate them, but its an example)
I loooooooove Big Macs. But, for obvious reasons, I don't eat them anymore. So I make what I call a "mock Big Mac" at home on occasion using a lite bun (I don't throw in that extra piece of bread like McDonald's does) a veggie/soy burger and the other ingredients (dehydrated onions, shredded lettuce, etc) and a smidge of 1000 Island dressing.

Nowhere close to the real thing, but it works.

Thanks for the link :)

mandalinn82
06-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Linda,

Apparently, Big Mac sauce (according to the book) is thousand island dressing, plus mustard and a little bit of sugar. So you can at least get the sauce close to that Big Mac taste.

LLV
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Yep, the 1000 island works just fine :)

But I'd be willing to try the sauce in that book.