Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Stretch Marks

Unfortunately, with weight gain often comes stretch marks. Anybody have any suggestions for fading stretch marks? I've been using the Palmer's cocoa butter lotion for a few months now but see no difference.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #2  
it's always something

Meg put together a GREAT post on loose skin and stretch marks at http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040

Stretch marks may fade with time, though they won't go away. Laser surgery is an option now, so if your stretch marks are bad, you might ask your doctor about it.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I got horrible stretch marks when I was pregnant with my son and they pucker and look awful now... I put cocoa butter on them the entire pregnancy, too, to no avail. My stretch marks are on the SEVERE side... I had to be hospitalized once for them alone. That's a long story, anyway... My doctor said that lazer surgery was certainly an option but there's no cream out there, unfortunately, that will do much for them. Talk to your doctor and see what he has to say!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #4  

Default stretch marks

It doesn't sound good does it? My stretch marks are really just cosmetic, but some new ones on my chest are bothering me.

By the way, I saw a product at my local Target called Striadril. The product was originally marketed to help with wrinkles but is now being marketed for stretch marks.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Is that the same as Strivectin? I have a friend that uses that on her face and it REALLY worked for the wrinkles on her forehead, but she said she tried it on her stretchmarks and it didn't do a thing .
Old 06-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #6  

Default stretch marks

Yeah, same company but this version is much cheaper. I think it was about $30.

Thanks for all your advice. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

A friend who recently had a baby told me cocoa butter did help a lot on her stretch marks. I just bought some and I don't know whether it will help my marks and saggy skin BUT it does feel wonderful when I smear it on and certainly soothes the skin.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #8  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I tried it all -- the special cream from Mother Time, cocoa butter, vitamin E gel -- nope I have them all over my stomach & my thighs. I hate it. I don't see me doing surgery to remove them either so I guess I deal with it. My dh said they are just proof of love from carrying children (yea ok, I don't see it that way but he was trying to make me feel better). The more I loose, I swear the more noticeable they are.

I have asked my Dr and creams do not work, save your money. You will either get them or you won't. He said go find a model on a beach, she has stretch marks - they just air brush her to make her perfect. That didn't help my feelings either but just sharing my info is all. The dermatologist said laser surgery might help but yikes.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #9  

I'm not surprised they don't work on the marks. But the cocoa butter cream IS making my skin FEEL so nice and soothed that I smeared it all over me last night after having been in the chlorine pool.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #10  
<333

S/C/G: 283/251/180

Height: 5' 4

Exclamation

I agree with all of you as far as creams dont work. All of my friends like to go swiming, but i have HORRIBLE strech marks on my shoulders. Well I went anyway, embarssed tho. But the strangest thing happend. I got a burn because I was too stupid to wear sunscreen and Then after my skin peeled (EW) the burn had turned into a tan, and my strech marks were like invisable! I could only see them faint in a closeup mirror! I was shocked. Since Im only 14, strech marks at my age is totally embarassing for me. So now I try to go out side for a 30 minutes and play with my dog in a tank top. Its probably not very good for my skin but I just wanna be a little normal
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #11  
Margaret1975

S/C/G: 155/151/135

Stretch marks can fade over time on their own. I know that when I was a little girl, my mother had bad stretch marks, but as she got older and did more exercise on her stomach, they faded quite a bit.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanieee&lt View Post
Its probably not very good for my skin but I just wanna be a little normal
I know you are young but I do want to caution you... you are soooooo right that this is not good for your skin. It can cause skin cancer. I know you probably don't want to hear advice from an "old lady chick" but please use caution.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #13  

Try using a sunless tanner to cover your stretch marks - sunburning & tanning is just awful for your skin
Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #14  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

I second the sunless tanners, they work wonders for stretch marks!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #15  

30 minutes of sun a day could be skin cancer down the road. I'd go with the sunless tanner.
Closed Thread