Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 06:06 PM   #1  

Thumbs down New WW member - what can I expect??

Hi all! I have browsed for a couple days and love the inspirational replies and genuine warmth of everyone. I will be going to my first WW meeting on Wednesday morning. I have done WW at home for a while and have not found myself to be successful at it - I just don't "keep up" when I am by myself. Oh, my husband is very very supportive, but is in wonderful shape and will never ever ever be able to relate. I have decided to give th group a real try. I am nervous and excited at the same time.

I was wondering if some of you could give me an explanation of what might happen on that first day of the meeting. Will I receive all the information? Will I be able to go to another group if I am not happy with this on? (I have no reason to think this might happen, but have heard that some leaders aren't as good as others.) I want (NEED) to be successful at this, and I really want it to happen NOW. I understand the work and the time involved, and I am making this my starting point. Have you found the meetings a crucial part of your weight loss? Is it the "public" weigh in?? Is it support from those in a similar situation?? I had sooooo many excuses for not attending meetings before (timing, money, kids...) but have run out of excuses as my weight continues to rise. I need HELP.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am ready for this new chapter of my challenge.

Wahine (means "woman" in Hawaiian - I live in Honlulu)
Old 08-20-2001, 06:16 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

You'll fill out some paperwork and pay your fees and you'll get a welcome booklet and week 1 stuff. Each week for the next 12 weeks you'll get something new. After you register you'll move to the weigh in area and get weighed. Then you'll take a seat and have about a 30 minute meeting.

Yes if you aren't happy you can change meeting times and places - just show up at the new one and tell them where your old one was and they'll forward over the 'official' weigh-in card.

The weigh in isn't public so to speak. You get on the scale and the only person who can see it is the person weighing you.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:41 PM   #3  
CIN

HeY! Congrats! You are making a wise choice!

The above post was a good description.dont worry there is no public weigh in......staff are trained about confidentioal weigh in..and common courtesy........if you are ever treated in any way poorly.call the 800 and report them!

After the meeting everyone who is new ( like you) will stay for a 15=-20 minte Getting Started Session.after the Leader explains how to count points feel free to ask her any questions on your mind!

I see many many very successful members...being accountable to someone and staying for the meetings are most helpful!

Good Luck...hope you love it! Think positive too!

WW CIN
Old 08-20-2001, 11:34 PM   #4  

Default WAHINE

Hello! I too have had the ww at home program and have tried using it on and off for quite some time now with NO SUCCESS. I think I am missing the structure of a meeting atmosphere kind of like making it a routine part of my everyday life thing. I started out honestly with meetings during last year but I quit going because I wasn't ready to lose the weight and so that lead me to ordering the at home program. I didn't have time for meetings then and didn't find them too interesting. I still am very busy as we all are in life but feel that in order for me to get a grasp on this weightloss seriously, I MUST COMMITT to going to a meeting and make it more OFFICIAL I guess you could call it. I feel like I am goofing off more at home than what I would facing the scale and being around other people weekly. It is just too easy to fall when you are doing it at home. I am joining this week and this WILL be the LAST time I join! I am going to lose this weight ONCE AND FOR ALL! I wish you much success in your weightloss. My advice personally---------SIGN UP AND JOIN A MEETING! Make that firm committment and stick with it. Touch base and let us know what you decide!
Old 08-21-2001, 11:52 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Wahine: I found the meetings to be a crucial part of my weightloss journey as well as my maintenance. I enjoy going to the meetings and talking with other members, give/receive encouragement, and the interaction. I think the meetings are important. If you find you don't "click" with the leader you can always try another meeting to find a leader that works for you. The program works well and it's a lifestyle change.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2001, 12:07 AM   #6  

There is just something about that public accountability to the scale that is so helpful. Don't worry though, they are very discreet....no display visible. You only see the number after they write it down. I vary between 2 meetings, one of which the leader is great and it is always beneficial, and the other that I don't care for at all and hardly ever stay.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:00 PM   #7  

Default Getting Started

After sitting in on one orientation meeting if you don't think you 'get it' sit in on another one next week. Also you can attend as many W W classes during the week as you like. The first one of the week you weigh in and the rest of the days are free during that week. Some time another meeting helps when you need an extra boost. This is also a good time to see if another leader relates to you better.
Old 08-22-2001, 08:13 PM   #8  

Girls, you forgot to mention the ritual bloodletting...Just teasing.

Seriously, best of luck Wahine, and I hope you enjoy WW. Try to keep in mind as best you can that you're doing this for YOU - noone else. You are the one in control of this project. Somehow it really helped me to become totally self-absorbed (and almost relentless) in my weightloss goals. I became "selfish" about taking the time I needed to exercise, and to cook good meals, and to attend meetings when I needed, and to spend time pursuing things that would keep me motivated (like coming to 3FC). It's a big effort, but it's worth it and the whole family benefits because Mom's a happier person.
Closed Thread