Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/249/150

Height: 5' 7

Question I have been figuring calories vs points.. help..

Hi everyone.. I have rejoined ww at home about 1 month ago... the first couple weeks was just after my tom so some to come off was expected anyways.. but it was very minicule 1-1.5 lbs.. then i started to plug in all i ate to fitday and was surprized to see my calories (for 28 pts) were around 1400.. now i was one who aimed for the target and considered it "bad" to dip into my flex or ap's// so the past week i am just trying to keep calories under 2000... like 1900-2000 and exercising daily 30 min... for 2000 calories for 3 days they flucuated from 31-42 points! i guess what i am trying to do is figure what works for my body.. if i avg my flex out evenly it comes to 33 a day...and then i still have my ap's tho i hate the idea of using them.. so i wanted to hear from some of you and see what you do what you are successful with .. did u ever eat at a higher point level or what?? i am thinking maybe just counting calories ... I like getting support and ww worked for me 3 yrs ago when i did it..i lost 26 lbs and kept it off.. if i stay with ww i think i have to just use the flex points divided up daily and if i need it my activity points.. thanks.. Kim
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #2  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I use some my flex points, I seperate them to per day, and then I try to bank my activity points as well as left over flex points.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkim
Hi everyone.. I have rejoined ww at home about 1 month ago... the first couple weeks was just after my tom so some to come off was expected anyways.. but it was very minicule 1-1.5 lbs..
That is not miniscule...it is average. The average OP is .5-2 pounds a week with the majority of losing around 1 a week.

[quote] then i started to plug in all i ate to fitday and was surprized to see my calories (for 28 pts) were around 1400.. /quote]
This is what W/W says the average is a day for points to calories:

20 points = 1150 calories
22 points = 1250 calories
24 points = 1350 calories
26 points = 1450 calories
28 points = 1550 calories
30 points = 1650 calories
32 points = 1750 calories
34 points = 1850 calories
35 points = 1900 calories (Weekly Points Allowance)
36 points = 2050 calories

Remember this is not always true but a good guide and DOES NOT include the 200-250 calories a day W/W built into the program for free veggies.

[quote]ow i was one who aimed for the target and considered it "bad" to dip into my flex or ap's// so the past week i am just trying to keep calories under 2000... like 1900-2000 and exercising daily 30 min... for 2000 calories for 3 days they flucuated from 31-42 points! i guess what i am trying to do is figure what works for my body.. if i avg my flex out evenly it comes to 33 a day...and then i still have my ap's tho i hate the idea of using them.. [/qupte] W/W already figures the average caloric intake and is based on solid research on Basal Metabolic Rate so why are you so overly concerned with staying below a certain number. Remember that the old diet mentality was to 'starve' your body and that doesn't work.

Quote:
so i wanted to hear from some of you and see what you do what you are successful with .. did u ever eat at a higher point level or what??
I followed W/W the way it was written except my leader gave me a tip. If you are still losing at a certain Target Point level then don't drop until you stop losing. So even at 149 pounds I was using 24 TPs a day PLUS 3-5 APs a day PLUS all my 35 FPs a week.

Quote:
i am thinking maybe just counting calories ... I like getting support and ww worked for me 3 yrs ago when i did it..i lost 26 lbs and kept it off.. if i stay with ww i think i have to just use the flex points divided up daily and if i need it my activity points.. thanks.. Kim
W/W takes into account muc more than calories. They also want you to eat healthy by watching the fat (more fat grams the higher the points and the less food) and watching fiber intake (you can decrease points but up to .8 points with 4 or more grams of fiber thus getting more food).

If you are not going to trust the program as it is written then you are not following it properly.

I ate every point given to me by the program (TPs + FPs) and all that I earned (APs) and lost because I followed the program.

You kinda sorta do the program and you kinda sorta lose...

Do not be afraid of the program and how it is written and to eat the points allowed and earned because the more points you use while losing the more points you have at maintenance and the less chance you'll feel like you are dieting to maintain.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Oh BTW I divide my FPs up over the course of the week and if I use them find if not I roll them over to the next day but I use them all each week. If I use more than the 5 I alloted myself I take them away evenly from the remaining days in the week.

I also earn 3-5 APs a day 6 days a week and eat them most definately each day I earn them however many I earn.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #5  

Ok first... ww considers an average, healthy weight loss to be a HALF up to 2 pounds a week. So many people think they have to drop 2 pounds a week every week. Even when you are perfectly on plan for weeks on end, you may see an occasional gain, that's just how our bodies work.

Your loss is average and healthy. I know it's frustrating, but WW is slow and steady. If you had already been counting calories and losing before you started WW you may not see those huge first week losses many people see when they are starting the program straight from no control at all. If you are already where following a healthier lifestyle you'll kind of slide right into the 1/2 to 2 pound losses.

WW works...if you work it. Not useing them is, in my opinion, not doing the program. Trust the program. They give you flex points and activity points for a reason. They used to have a range you stayed within. Now you have a target and flex. You need those points to fuel your body. They give them to you in flex points so you can be flexable. Maybe you only need 26 points on a Wednesday, but you like to eat out on the weekends, flex allows you to live your life as you normaly would while controling your caloric intake.

They are not going to give you them if they will make you gain. That would be bad for bussiness. Many people over estimate thier AP's, but if you honestly assess your workouts and give yourself those points and use them. Calorie counting works for some. And ww really is just calorie counting. But my opinion as I have tried to do both is pick one, throw yourself into it and trust it. And don'ts et your expectations too high.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

MistySeptember, Great addition to what I posted!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #7  

LOL we posted at the same exact time You are right on track with what you said, I agree completly!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I think of this way - weight watchers keeps your calories so low, that you can eat all of your points, eat all of your extra points, cheat a little, and still lose. People wouldn't fork over $ if it wasn't working.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/249/150

Height: 5' 7

well thank you everyone for your insights into the program and I will commit to using all my flex points and activity ... thanks for all your help...I hope to be successful like many of you.. and my goal is to lose 1 lb a week.. I know i will be stopped at tiems and this will be okay .. any more than that will be bonus! .. thanks again..Kim
Old 06-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #10  

Kim-That is awesome! You are doing so well, keep it up and you will get the results you want! It's all about knowing what is realistic and committing to and, you've got that covered!
Closed Thread