General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #1  
LLV

Default Dog and cat owners, need some help

I have two Dachshund's, ages 3 and 7. The 3-year-old is wonderful about going outside to do her business. She'll hold it overnight if she has to or until we get home. The 7-year-old tries, but sometimes she has accidents. And I kid you not when I say this, her urine is like yellow dye. If I don't get those stains up as soon as they happen, they become permanent marks in the carpet. No carpet shampoo or even spot removers will get it completely out. I've tried the Spot Shot stuff that normally works wonders on spots just general cleaning won't remove, but even that stuff is no match for this.

Has anyone found a product out there that gets out stubborn (and stubborn is somewhat of an understatement here) stains from the carpet? Is there anything out there that will work to get that yellow out?

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 06-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'm a club soda person with pee stains but if she used to be well house-trained and now she's not, I'd probably have a vet check and make sure she doesn't have an infection. A UTI of kidney infection could cause her inability to hold it.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #3  
LLV

We've only had her since the 23rd of May. She's a rescue from a Dachshund rescue organization. She was used as a breeder dog all of her life, so she lived in a crate. She's got some issues we're trying to work on and she's doing pretty good, but she's a 'marker'. She goes around marking territory. So she doesn't flood, per se, when she pees in the house, they're these small spots about the size of a 50 cent piece, maybe a tad larger. She does her regular peeing outside, but she goes around the house and leaves dribbles. And that's what I can't get out of the carpet.

She's up to date on all of her vetting, although I am gonna ask the vet next time she has to go in why her urine would be so yellow. Like I said, it's like dye. Once those stains are dried, I can't get them out for anything.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

I think a vet trip is in order, too. But try OxyClean. The powder you mix with water and pour it on with a squirt bottle works WONDERS!! I got red Hawaiian Punch out of a white carpet that had sat with the Hawaiian Punch for three days before I could get to it. It came out in seconds!! OxyClean RULES!!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

Has she been fixed since she's no longer breeding? Or can't you have an older dog fixed? I have a dog, but he was fixed at the earliest age the vet would do it...I didn't want any embarassing behavior going on. And my first thought was to make sure she is drinking enough water...maybe it will dillute her pee down and help flush out the yellow? Just a thought...you can try and call the vet and ask over the phone...if you're a regular there, they'll talk to you in lieu of an actual office visit. They may ask you to bring her in anyway, but you can try calling first...
Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife
I think a vet trip is in order, too. But try OxyClean. The powder you mix with water and pour it on with a squirt bottle works WONDERS!! I got red Hawaiian Punch out of a white carpet that had sat with the Hawaiian Punch for three days before I could get to it. It came out in seconds!! OxyClean RULES!!
I've got some of that, I'll try it, thank you
Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #7  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I have a girlfriend that swears by gaterade. I don't think I spelt that right, but I am sure you know I mean the sports drink. She says she just pours it on let's it sit a bit, and then scrubs the stain out.

I have a dachshund too, His urine has always been darker than my pommeranians. I have never had problems with him going on the carpet, so I have never had to try anything.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife
Has she been fixed since she's no longer breeding?
Yes, she's been spayed. Most all animal rescue organizations spay and neuter their animals, so she was spayed when we got her.

She was 'used up' by this breeder so badly that her body was depleted of calcium and other nutrients. So much so that most all of her teeth were rotted and her jaw was broken.

She's the sweetest little dog, though. Our other doxie is also a rescue. I believe in giving the 'throw-aways' a second chance at life.

Good idea on calling the vet, I think I'll do that right now.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40poundsago
I have a girlfriend that swears by gaterade. I don't think I spelt that right, but I am sure you know I mean the sports drink. She says she just pours it on let's it sit a bit, and then scrubs the stain out.

I have a dachshund too, His urine has always been darker than my pommeranians. I have never had problems with him going on the carpet, so I have never had to try anything.
Yep, our other Dachshund has dark-colored urine as well. But it's different for the other one. Like I said, it's like dye. I don't know any other way to describe it.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have a chocolate lab and she has had an accident or two when left inside for a long time. I have used MeanGreen to get the stain and smell out and it worked great. I buy it at the Dollar General store.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #11  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I have used simple green to get stains out of stuff, I never even thought of that stuff till lilybelle said something about mean green.

I do believe I bought it at Menards, Not sure if you have one in your area, they are found in the central part of the states.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried Nature's Miracle yet? When we were housetraining Gordie, we always had lots of this on hand. It's one of those enzyme type cleaners made especially to take care of urine. Supposedly it takes out the smell better than regular cleaners so that they won't go back and pee in that same spot. I'm not sure how it will do on a stain that is already set in, but it worked well for us when Gordie had accidents that we saw and cleaned up right away. You can get Nature's Miracle in places like Petsmart and Petco.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #13  
LLV

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #14  
Collie Mommie

I've used Nature's Miracle and Spot Shot with varying degrees of success - more so with Spot Shot.
If you weiner is still having piddle problems, you might want to get her a little diaper to put on her overnight. One of our foster dogs (we do collies) was not fully house-trained and we got him some diapers just to be safe while we were training him [he was about a year old and pee'd like a racehorse]. Here's a link to the diapers, and they sell them at PetSmart and Petco, if you have one of those near you:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...01+113858+2035
Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #15  
LLV

Doggie diapers, lol!

I love it
Closed Thread