Old 06-05-2006, 01:36 AM   #1  
Melting Butter

Red face Tofu and You?

I'm thinking of trying tofu... Key word...thinking.

Just to see what it's like and to see if I can incorporate it into my meals without a lot of fuss.
Does anyone on here eat tofu? If so how do you use it in your meals?
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:39 AM   #2  
Melting Butter

Ooh. I did find some info on the veggie boards...but still if anyone has any ideas, thoughts or suggestions I'd still like to hear them!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:45 AM   #3  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I love tofu! I grew up eating it, so I don't think of it as wierd or anything. I like it in stirfrys. I like marinating it in some soy sauce, ginger, and garlic and baking it. It's good marinated in soy sauce, honey, balsamic vinegar and ginger and then baked (about 1/2 an hour at 400 degrees). It's also nice with sesame seeds on it before you bake it - all these baked recipes I usually eat with steamed veggies. The nice thing about tofu is that it really doesn't have a strong flavor, so it tastes like whatever you put on it. You can pretty much use any sauce or marinade you want. It's really good with curry sauce, too. For all of these make sure you use extra firm or firm tofu - anything else will pretty much fall apart. I like mixing up dessert tofu with fruit, too - kind of a tofu pudding (although that might not be something you want to try right off the bat!). Oh, and you can get herbed tofus, which are nice for the stir frys. Hope you give it a try!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #4  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

I would try it in a restauraunt first. A good thai/chinees one or something. they usually know how to do it up right. then if you like it try it on your own.

What I usually do is make stir fry with it. Tofu is awsome for soaking up the flavor of what ever you put it with. You could marinade it in chicken broth the fry it up with some healthy oil. Also it makes a good "egg salad" sandwhich- a little ff mayo,paprika,mustard and salt to taste etc...

google tofu and see what comes up...
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #5  

Of course I eat tofu being Korean and all ^_- ... I love it to death, I can eat it uncooked but it really is an acquired taste.

For a simple COOKED tofu... just cook it up in olive oil with some salt sprinkled over it then serve with your favorite healthy condiment. I really like it with ketchup for some reason but I get the onecarb ketchup due to the sugar content, tastes like the same old ketchup to me.

Sorry if I wasn't that helpful, I hope you found some good recipes. Tofu is very versatile so I'm sure you will find a ton of ways to cook it up. Good luck!
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #6  
L A D Y J A M E S

S/C/G: 265/236/180

Height: 5'9

I don't know about eating it in its own form, but eating things made from tofu is pretty workable; I eat these tofu ice cream bars (so they look and taste like ice cream bars, but are made from tofu). I am an ice cream addict, but lactose intolerant, so these babies are a life-saver.
ladyjames63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #7  

Hey Lady, do you eat tofuttis?? The little tofu ice cream sandwiches? They are so good!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #8  
L A D Y J A M E S

S/C/G: 265/236/180

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyJ
Hey Lady, do you eat tofuttis?? The little tofu ice cream sandwiches? They are so good!!
Yes, exactly the ones! I love'em -- they totally fix my ice cream cravings.
ladyjames63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #9  

The chocolate cuties are my favorite and I swear they taste just like the real thing. I haven't had them in a while.. ahh next time I go grocery shopping, I'm getting them ... at least they are healthier than eating the regular ice cream and I'm also lactose intolerant, so it's a double plus, good taste and no pain afterwards from all the lactose in real ice cream.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:41 AM   #10  

I tried tofu once, I was really excited and it almost made me gag! It was like eating old soggy egg whites...maybe I just didn't cook it right? I made it in stir fry with sauces, and it was the extra firm kind. I wish I did like it though!!
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/220/180

I like tofu if it's cooked right. I've always heard that you're supposed to add it in last, but I hate it that way!!!! I only really like it if it's added first and kinda fried up a bit with all the veggies. That way it kinda crumbles up (even the extra firm) and soaks up more of the flavor I think.

I tend to think of it as an easier way to get protein. It lasts in the fridge for months (rather than having to thaw meat, or only keep it for a few days in the fridge) so when I feel like cooking it's actually there.

There are some good recipes out there, good luck
teela1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My dad is vegetarian and has used tofu in various recipies throughout the years. My favroite by far is the lasagna he makes using tofu. It soakes up the tomato sauce really well and the textute kind of makes it taste like there is extra cheese in it.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #13  
Melting Butter

Yum! I officially lurve tofu. I made tofu spaghetti...*licks lips* It's definately going to be a food that I'll invest in!
My mom however can't get past the fact that it's tofu and so she didn't touch it...eh. Oh well...that's more for me!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #14  

Hmm tofu spaghetti.. how did you use the tofu? I'm curious I love tofu in almost every way so a new way is always a good thing... Share the recipe please Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #15  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

I love tofu soup!

My hubby is Korean so we constanly eat spicy tofu soup. I've made tofu chilli before and loved it. As I refine my diet I eventually would like to return to my vegetarian diet and will be completely incorporating tofu.
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote