Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/155/135

Default elliptical ve treadmill?

Anyone have any opinions on what is a better cardio workout?
It seems like the elliptical is much more intense (I do it at a relatively high incline and resistance). I sweat much more and my heart rate gets higher...

On the treadmill, I mostly stick to around 4mph with a small incline. For some reason, when I try to jog on it I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to fall (weird). But I've heard of a lot of success from people who walk to lose weight (not so much w/ the elliptical).

I try to get in 45min of cardio a day. Is one machine better over the other? Is it better to alternate bewteen the two? What do you guys think?
ellakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #2  

Any cardio is good cardio, to my mind. i think when your starting out especially, the eliptical is better. It has more options, you can play with resistance, and try lots of different methods of working out. If you can't do speed on a treadmill, you are limited to just changing the gradient.

Andyou can walk or run anywhere, you don't need a treadmill for that. But you can't mimic the eliptical action on anything in real life.

I think combining the two is the key, especially as you do more exercise and are more prone to boredom.

I use a gym, so have access to 7 different cardio machines, the eliptical, cardiowave (similar to eliptical but the plates go horizontal - picture speed skating - with stationary arms) recumbent bike, upright bike, rower, stairmaster and treadmill. I use different combos on different days.

The main reason is boredom. I get bored really easily. I also swim to get in some different cardio too.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #3  

I think you can burn more calories on the elliptical. I think its like as much as 700 cal every hour!

Here's an article on ithttp://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...elliptical.jsp
Bryttani18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I don't know anything "scientific" about if one is better than another, doubt it. There are pros to both of them. I think maybe we hear more about people losing weight on treadmills because they've been around for so long and ellipticals are relativly new? I'm losing my weight with the elliptical being my main source of cardio. I use the elliptical more than the treadmill, mostly because it is lower impact and it doesn't bother my knees at all. I do mix it up even on the elliptical - like Kykaree mentioned - different programs, resistance, with or without arms, reverse mode... I use the treadmill for my cool-downs mostly!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I agree that both are good, and it's a matter of what you feel like doing, how much impact (treadmill is harder on my knees), etc. You can get as much out of each as you're willing to put in! My only complaint about the elliptical is that I can't go as slow as with the treadmill to cool down, so like Nori I often hop over to a treadmill to cool down after an elliptical workout.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Both are effective pieces of machinery. I use both. The treadmill is good for rainy days when I don't get to walk outside or in the winter months when it's too cold to walk. The ellipital is good for daily cardio and sculpting. I have lost almost all of the cellulite in my legs and all of it in my glutes. My butt and legs are slammin and only getting better. I love my elliptical. But love to walk as well. They target different things, I think.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #7  

If you run on a treadmill,its better than an elliptical. If you walk/walk fast on a treadmill, elliptical is same/better!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/194/165

Height: 5'8"

Libby- I am researching elliptical machines before I buy one. I have used them at the gym and truely enjoyed the workout, better than anything else IMHO. I do not really want to spend $1,000 if I don't have to, but want a machine that will provide a good, user friendly workout. Which machine did you purchase and how long have you been using it?
Thanks~
Luc's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #9  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Default The Elliptical I bought

is called an Image 8.0. It cost me 209.00 at Walmart in January 06. I have had it for almost 6 months and love it. It moves really smoothly and has a large foot print, a great digital display. It shows calories burned, miles/distance, time and counts your steps either down or up. It also has 10 levels of resistance. It has 4 built-in training programs that really kick your butt. It also has a cup holder and a magazine/book holder. It has a sensor built in to read your pulse and when it's not displaying your pulse it shows you your speed and RPMs. Not bad for $209, huh? My only complaint would be that it takes up a fair amount of space and has no space saving or fold away feature. It's very quiet though. I love it.

Unfortunately, they don't make that model any more. Or Walmart just doesn't sell it anymore. But they do have an Image 8.25 and an 8.5.

You can view the info on the 8.25 here.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/194/165

Height: 5'8"

Libby-
Thank you for the product information! $200 is much easier on the wallet than $1,000. I had wondered if the lower priced units were as effective, obviously from your weight loss success, they work great!
Thank you!
Luc's mom is offline   Reply With Quote