Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/237/185

Height: 5'6"

Default Need advice for tummy exercises

Hi everyone, I am new here and still getting acquainted with the site. I would appreciate any advice that can be given about tummy exercises. I've lost about 20lbs with about 60 more to go, I'm currently doing WATP 2-miles aobut 3 times a week. My problem is that I seem to have a lot of extra tummy fat. I had 2 babies in 2 years and I'm not sure if that contributed but it's really bugging me.

So what does everyone do to trim their tummies? Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!
Kath32769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #2  

Hi Kathy. I'm new, too.
Pilates helped me a LOT. When I first started doing it 3-4 times a week with my Pilates for Dummies dvd, I lost 2" in my waist in just a few weeks.

I also just got the Turbo Jam dvds and I can already tell these are going to do wonders for my abs and obliques.

Other than that, I'll just say we can't "spot reduce". No exercise will magically give you a 6 pack. It's diet and cardio all the way for belly fat. Good luck!
Pedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedmom
Other than that, I'll just say we can't "spot reduce". No exercise will magically give you a 6 pack. It's diet and cardio all the way for belly fat. Good luck!
lots of cardio and some weight training to build muscle, lots of muscles speeds up your metabolism...

Here are Top Ten Exercise Myths ... Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #4  

Thanks. I guess I should've said that I'd like to focus on this area and that I need tips other than the typical crunches. I have the Winsor Pilates series, maybe I'll try that.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

here are the Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Pilates!!! Just about everything works your abs in some way!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #7  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I've also had 2 babies in 2 years and while I weigh less than when I got pregnant with #1, you wouldn't know it by looking at my belly alone! I really noticed a difference after I started Winsor Pilates inaddition to doing lots of cardio. I know you mentioned you don't want "typical" ab exercises like crunches, but I thought I'd just pass on to anyone else interested that I also really like Tammilee Webb's I Want That Body! ab routine. I've written it out, so I don't actually have to put the dvd in each time I want to do it. You get a good 30 minute ab workout. (Along with 30 minutes each of arms and buns/thighs.)
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone! I guess it's time to break out the Pilates DVD. Anyone know the difference between Winsor and Pilates for Dummies? Anyone have a preference?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #9  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm really curious about the difference between Windsor and plain ol' Pilates. I'm interested in buying the DVDs but I'd like to know how others have done with these workouts. I did take a pilates class last year and I know it's a tough workout even though it seems easy, but I don't want to waste money - plus I'm a minimalist so I don't like clutter.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I LOVE Windsor Pilates. I just got the new DVD and circle trainer and it rocks. I can definately feel it all through my chest and arms today. There's 20 minutes of floor exercises and I think another 50 or so of hardcore stuff but I haven't been brave enough to try the harder section of the new DVD yet
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #11  

The May /June issue of Vegetarian Times has a rather good article on arm, leg and ab exercises. For each one, it suggests easy, morderate and challenging ways to firm them up.

The easy one for abs is.... gardening! Tighten your tummy muscles (without holding your breath). There's even a website for aerobic gardening: ritecode.com/aerobicgardening.

The moderate one is hula hooping. It says you can burn 100 calories for every 10 minutes of hooping, and there's a dance hoop workout DVD at gaiam.com. You can get a hoop for your body size at bettyhoops.com.

The challenging one is swimming. The article says you can't swim with your stomach hanging, so it automatically strengthens abs.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote