Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Protein/Fat/Carbs What's a good ratio?

ValRock
06-04-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm not on a lowcarb plan or any kind of diet... but I don't eat any processed foods as a general rule. I've been tracking on Fitday for a couple weeks now and my ratio is coming out almost exactly equal between the 3. Is that a good place to be? I know what foods are good for me and how much food I need to eat in a day... just not in what ratios to eat them in!

srmb60
06-04-2006, 08:43 AM
You're probably going to get as many different answers to this as there are posters :)
A lot depends on what your goals are.

For a long time now I've TRIED to do 40 protein/ 40 carbs/ 20 fats. I think that's Body for Life style and I probably learned that from the Ladies Who Lift.

Lately I've been reading Tom Venuto's ebook "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" and depending on a couple of variables I'd LIKE to be at about 45/30/25 most days.

Lets see what the others say.

Ruthxxx
06-04-2006, 09:04 AM
I feel pretty good when I'm at the 3/3/3 ratio. I'm Type II diabetic and find that ratio keeps my blood sugar levels stable. (I'm South Beach Phase II with my endocrinilogist's enthusiastic approval.)

Everybody's different though.

Heather
06-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm not doing anything special, and have settled for now on 20-25% protein/50% carb/ 20-25% fat.

However, I could see upping the protein and lowering the carbs in the future, mostly because the protein really does seem to give me a "fuel boost". In my own slow way, I'm moving in that direction.

Glory87
06-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I only recently started paying attention to the ratios - I try for 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat. I was eating a ton of carbs, not much fat and not much protein. Healthy fats are beneficial for the body, protein is beneficial, I wasn't unhappy with what I ate, just wanted to make sure I got a little more of all the good stuff.

ValRock
06-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks ladies! I feel great so I think this is working for me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting wayyy too much of something. Whoohoo!

DairyQueen
06-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I think when you're on a reduced calorie diet, its important that at least 33% (or 1/3) of your total calories come from protein to keep you feeling full. But other than that, it all comes down to the total calories consumed.