Support Groups - Time For Serious Fun #132

View Full Version : Time For Serious Fun #132

gma22
06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today

gma22
06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Ok, gals, I got us set up in a new thread as it was starting to get long again.

Amanda: I got tickled about being "knackered." Yeah, I think the first day I was beyond knackered and went straight to totally POOPED! :lol: I didn't notice until I was out of the pool though. I love the pool so much and being all alone and it is quiet except for being in the landing zone of the international airport AND Memphis being the main hub for Federal Express and having planes fly over ever 5 minutes, it is great! I did 60 yesterday and just 45 today as it was kind of cool and windy and started to rain so I went ahead and got out. Jack is partially on Slimfast. He has cereal and juice for breakfast then either slimfast, soup, or a WW type meal for lunch then regular dinner and usually a 100 calorie snack. When he went to the doctor's on Tuesday he weighed 234 and the nurse said the last time he was in a few months ago he was 248 so he is doing better than we thought. Good luck with it and I hope you do really well!

To everyone else, have a great weekend and get out in the sun and have fun!

Faye :)

lynard21
06-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I just happened to be browsing and noticed this thread. I normally post on the TOPs forum, but need some additional motivation and interaction. I will check back again on Monday for the new week.

Lyn

gma22
06-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Good morning gals! I am just going to move us to the front of the pack for today. Hope you all are having a good weekend. I have commissary shopping today and Jack wants to go see Over the Hedge so we are going to a matinee.

Welcome Lyn, the more the merrier.

Amanda Panda
06-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi all,

I got 4 points yesterday - the initial starving hunger from doing Slimfast is wearing off, yesterday I was only slightly hungry all day, whereas the first day I was absolutely ravenous! Slimfast is a good plan for me because I don't enjoy cooking and am a very lazy cook - now I know that my breakfast and lunch take 1 minute to make I've got no excuse to by fatty snacks on the way home from the gym!

FAYE - It's lovely when you have the pool to yourself - it's only happened to me on 1 or 2 occasions, but it's bliss! That's good news about Jack's weight. I agree that even doing Slimfast for one meal a day could really help with weightloss.

LYNN - Hi there! Love the cat avatar, I'm a cat lover too! Hope to get to know you soon!

Have a nice weekend - I'm off out tonight. Is vodka included on the Slimfast plan? :dizzy:

Love Amanda x

gma22
06-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Good morning gals! Hope all is well with you!

Amanda:bravo:

Have a great Sunday!

Faye ;)

SuGyong
06-04-2006, 09:43 PM
What a weekend!!! :(

Amelia (Will be 3 in two weeks) BROKE HER LEG! We were at our neighbor's house and the kids were all playing together nicely. Then we heard Amelia screaming. She tried to climb a tree that wasn't rooted to the ground and it fell on her!

What I mean is, they had some logs (a bit under a meter thick) standing upright instead of laying on the ground. Joe was checking out the idea of turning them into barstool high outdoor chairs... Amelia picked the tippiest one to climb on and it came down right on top of her.

I was nervous that she had shattered her ankle. (There was absolutely no doubt that it was broken...) I started picturing operations and metal pins through her legs, etc... Michelle (our next door neighbor whose house we were at..) babysat Deanna while I held Amelia's leg immobile and Dave drove the 35 minute trip to the hospital in 15 minutes. (Ha ha! Just exactly how dast was he going? I don't know, but more than 85 mph/135 kph!!)

Fortunately, it was a small break just above her ankle that will heal nicely in lightning fast time.

They gave her morphine. It must have been good because she said nothing hurts anymore. Then she started trying to catch imaginary bugs in front of her eyes... LOL! "Mommy, I can't get the red ones!" :D

So now she's in a cast and she's fine. she doesn't even need tylenol more than once a day, and she's milking it for all it's worth! I'm almost expecting her to say "Mommy... I want... a villa in Tuscany! And a red corvette to go with it!" LOL!! :D

So needless to say, I haven't been doing well on my diet at all! Darn Little Caesars and their $5 pizzas to go!!!

-Lee Ann

gma22
06-05-2006, 07:02 AM
MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our mission this week is substitutions. If you have a dessert or a food you just can't seem to live without, do some work and find a way to make it in a lower fat and calorie variety. There are hundreds of cookbooks and free sites that help you out in that way and you shouldn't have to deprive yourself of something you love. Just take some time and you will see you can skim tons of calories and fats from your favorite foods and still be able to eat them.

LeeAnn: Hope your little one is still doing ok with her leg. I broke my foot over 30 years ago and I remember that the first two nights were agony then it was more of a nuisance. Of course now, the old me has arthritis in that foot, so I guess we eventually pay for it! :lol:

I hope everyone is having a good day today and staying op! I need to get my behind in gear and start posting my points. I have been forgetting.

lynard21
06-05-2006, 07:52 AM
Good advice - thanks. I got 2 points over the weekend with exercise. Walked 5 miles yesterday with my DH and gardening on Saturday (in the drizzle and fog). Didn't quite stick to plan as I had 2 pieces of cake at church.

Weigh-in is tonite after 2 weeks off - Here's hoping for a loss.

Lyn

SuGyong
06-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Lyn- Ha ha! Isn't church evil? (Huge Joke!) There's always doughnuts and cake and 5 or 6 people saying "Have some!" :)

Faye- I never bother with posting my points if the answer is 0. :)

The day's only just starting, so I haven't any points to post yet. I just wanted to stop in and see if there was any good news for Susan yet... :(

Amanda- Slimfast, huh? Some of those flavors were too yummy! I wanted more of it. LOL! :D

Anyhow, Amelia's yelling for help, so I'm off.

-Lee Ann

gma22
06-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Lyn :dancer:
Faye :dancer:

The worst are the potluck suppers at church. Some of the older ladies sure could cook at our last church and some of them were...:barf: We had one lady who used to always bring some kind of "wild" meat dish, deer, rabbit, etc. I used to run the kitchen so would always watch for her stuff and avoid it! :lol: We used to have a coffee and donut thing in our SS class once a month, then the class broke up when we got in a new crazy minister, who is still there. He ran off about 75% of the congregation including the two of us. We held a whole bunch of positions at the church and left them hanging when we couldn't take it any longer. My dh was a deacon and he had called an emergency meeting with the rest of the board regarding the preacher and the changes he wanted to make (one of which was to rewrite our constitution and charter so that he basically could stay forever), which were way out of biblical teaching for our beliefs. They didn't want to listen to him so he told them we were leaving and wouldn't be back and we did. They ended up a deacon short, 2 SS teachers, the missionary secretary treasurer (I was the only one who knew how to run the program that paid the missionaries and I refused to go back to the church and teach someone), the ss secretary and the ss superintendent. We had a group of very close friends that are all still there, mostly because they are in their 70's and their parents started the church. It is sad, truly sad, because the church had been thriving before that. If you know anything about Calvanism, that is what this minister expounded to and that was outside our teachings. Anyway, my original thought was that church is ususally a place for lots of good fattening food!

Have a good day gals. I am going over in just a few and do my pool workout.

**I removed my tracker etc for the time being until I can get a new scale in the house again and get an accurate reading.**

QuilterInVA
06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Good morning ladies! My dh is in for more surgery sometime this week - a skin graft to close the wound from his knee to hip and surgery to remove part of the heel on his left foot. The infection has spread there. This morning they have 2 technicians coming to draw blood, take it about 60 miles to a special lab, make it radio active, comeback and put it back in him. Then they will do a special xray what will tell them if it's just tissue or tissue and bone that is infected and they will know how much has to be removed. It all is another scary thing to me. He's actually in good spirits and very positive which is the best thing at this point.

I've done pretty well with not eating badly.

lynard21
06-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Faye,

Oh my G-d! You've really been through it with your church and weird preacher. Are Calvanists the Fire and Brimestone people? Or somethng about predestination? Hope you have managed to find another church home. At our church our Finance Chair just quit after 6 years and I was asked to take over until Jan. It's not bad, however, we are running a 40K/year deficit right now and no one seems to care. At this rate we will be out of our reserve money in 6-7 years....of course most say to "have faith" - that if it is meant to be God will provide. Wish I had that much faith.

In any case I'm off to a good start today. Had a salad for lunch and fruit for dessert. Walked a bit and will walk more tonight.

Lyn

lynard21
06-05-2006, 03:59 PM
LeeAnn,

I love the photo for your Avitar. It must be your 3 year old...how's the leg doing? Hey, we're practically neighbors...I'm in the Rochester area.

Lyn

lynard21
06-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey...I made it to "Onderland" tonight!! I have not been below 200# for 4 years!

Lyn

gma22
06-06-2006, 06:22 AM
TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our target this week is gotta have substitutions. Continuing on our mission for this week, here is a small list of some substitutions to help better manage your program, Sprays like Pam instead of oils or butter, spray butter/margarines, sugar free syrups like Carys, which is pretty good, fruit spreads instead of jams or jellies, spray dressings instead of pour types, egg beaters instead of eggs, Splenda instead of sugar, Splenda based drinks instead of full sugar soda, and the list can go on and on. If you have a good substitution, feel free to list them.

Hope everyone has a super day!

gma22
06-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Wednesday: Today is Wednesday's Woes so we get to gripe about anything we like today!

Boy, do I have a woe. This happened last night.
One of my nasty neighbors sent a woman to our door about an hour ago claiming we stole her yorkie! The neighbor was mad at me because when Fortune got back from the groomers and the condo painter had our garage door off and the back gate taken apart to paint so Fortune couldn't go outside on the deck and go to the bathroom. I took him out front on a leash and her big nasty chow was out there off his leash and came up to Fortune and scared him half to death jumping at him and barking. I picked Fortune up because Fortune was cowering poor thing was so terrified. The damn dog jumped me. I pushed him off and told the woman that Fortune is afraid of other dogs and she got snotty and said if he was going to walk outside he needed to get used to the other dogs. I told her no he didn't and wasn't there a city leash law and walked back to my house carrying Fortune all the way. I guess she thought she could get even this way. The woman that showed up here expected us to give her FORTUNE! Jack refused and she called the cops. It made Jack mad and when the cops asked to see Fortune he told them NO! He told them they could look at all his records and I had organized his shot records from the time he was born until his last shots last Oct and had Jack give them to the idiot cops. That didn't satisfy them so Jack went upstairs and got a professional photo of Fortune we had taken three years ago and they made Jack prove who he was with ID. When the one cop found out Jack was retired Navy (he was retired Army) he backed off some, but I was p*&^%$##$ by this time and I walked up to the door and shook my finger at the woman and told her she owed us an apology! I finally made Jack relent and he showed them the dog but through the door. The woman had told the cops that her dog had an eye tumor and we told the cops he didn't have a tumor and they even told her his eyes were clear. We asked what sex her dog was and she said female then male real quick when we said he was a male! The cops apologized for bothering us and Jack smarted off and said that was ok, it just kept them from getting the murderers and rapists in this town so they could harrass good citizens, which was more important. The one cop said, "Sir, a crime has been committed!" Jack said something like "not by us" and slammed the door in their face. Now there is no way we can take him outside and I have to be sure our back gate is locked at all times. I don't trust these scummy people here. I worry that they will see us leave sometime and break in and steal Fortune. We may have to buy a security system now. Can you believe that? I hardly slept last night, more from what the neighbor did than anything else. What a spiteful thing to do over not wanting her dog jumping all over us! The thing weighs like 100 lbs! All I can say girls is she better steer clear of me if she sees me outside because she will really get a piece of my mind.

I hope everyone will have a super day today! Susan, I hope you are getting good reports about your hubby's progress!

Mirabelly
06-07-2006, 08:06 AM
First of all,
Congratulations Lyn!!! Onederland from now on for you!!!:carrot: :carrot: :hug: :cb: :cp: :hat: :dancer: :dancer:

Okay that's enough now. Seriously, I got really close last summer, and now I'm back over 210...sigh. My show is this Fri and Sat and as usual, I have a ton of stuff to do. After that, though, I'm taking a serious break! Like for a whole 24 hours or something ;)

Faye that really stinks about your neighbors. We lived with crappy neighbors for years, but now we're really lucky to be surrounded by friends.

Lee, Has Amelia weazled a pony out of you yet? :lol: Hope she's feeling better.

Everyone have a faboo day! No woes from me today, except that I have to get busy.

TTFN,
Julie

SuGyong
06-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Faye- Can you report them for not having their dog on a leash? How about reporting the vicious loose dog to animal control? They'll at least have to talk to your neighbors about the leash law. They may even take the dog to a kennel. Won't hurt the dog, but WILL make a mountain of work for your neighbors. (Ok, I'm PMSing and petty today.. :) ) What jerks! I mean, trying to claim Fortune as THEIRS?? What the heck were they thinking!!!??

Wow.. compared to that I don't really have any woes. So I'll just tell myself what one of our good friends here like to say... "Stop whining and man up!" :p

Amelia's got a doc's appt today. They're making me nervous just because they've changed it to a sooner time three times now. First it was a friday appt. Then they called and said that the doc wants to see her sooner and is thurs ok?.. then they called again and said how about thurs morn instead of the afternoon? Finally they called and said How about tomorrow?...

Ok, Mommy senses are tingling.. more like shaking me like a rag doll... it's a simple break, everyone said so... easy to heal, 4 easy weeks being waited on hand and foot... right? Lucky for me, the guy next door (a Methodist minister) has done about 15 years as an EMT and is willing to come look at her whenever I get too nervous.

Julie- Nice to see you! That show (and eventing) must be keeping you running around in circles! Pony.. yup. She has, actually.. My Little Pony toys. :) Well, just one, but it helps her stay calm an quiet for doc appts. :D

Lyn- So cool! Congrats congrats congrats! :) :smug: :) :hug:

-Lee Ann

lynard21
06-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Faye, That woman sounds like she needs professional mental health therapy! You certainly have a legitamate woe for Wednesday!!

I just ducked out of the office for a 30 minute walk in the sunshine - so it's hard to think of a woe right now. How about this...my cat woke me up by batting me in the face at 5:30 am.

LeeAnn - Try not to worry too much. In my experience, kids are pretty resiliant. Nice that you have some support nearby.

Julie..Thanks for the congrats!

Lyn

QuilterInVA
06-08-2006, 09:13 AM
LeeAnn, it could just be the doctor wants to get a jump start on an early weekend, not that something is wrong. I've had them do that with my husband before.

The surgery yesterday went well but the prognosis for his foot is not good. There is a small chance that it will be saved, but I believe in miracles. The infection is in the bone. We have not told him this yet, although we had discussed the possibility of having to amputate his whole leg before the initial cardiovascular surgery. He was okay with that citing his aunt and uncle who both had had a leg amputated and still were able to live alone. He just wants to get home. I have to admit, I'm sick of having to go to the hospital everyday. My life has become get up, go to work, go to the hospital, go home and feed the cat, go to bed. Keep us in your prayers. God can do all things.

gma22
06-08-2006, 09:14 AM
THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday so do something good for yourself today and everyone will benefit from it!

Lyn: Our cat jumps up on the bed at 4:30 every morning telling us to get up. He meows his head off even though Jack doesn't have to get up until 5:15 so hence most posts are done around 4:30 AM! :lol:

Everyone have a great day. I already have all my daily chores finished and my daily cleaning so it is to the pool in half an hour!

Faye ;)

lynard21
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone. I did a whole lot of walking yesterday - went out for 30 minutes at lunch and 45 minutes before supper. So I get my exercise points. I am on my way to Atlantic City this pm for business. So, to be good to myself I plan to take a walk along the boardwalk. I've never been there, but may even play a slot machine or two.. I have to give a talk tomorrow and then I will drive 70 miles south to see my oldest daughter in Wilmington DE. She is about to move even further south to High Point NC in a couple of weeks so I don't know when the next chance to see her will be.

Hope you are all having a good week.

gma22
06-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Susan: Somehow, I missed your post. Must have crossed up with mine. I am sorry the infection has reached the bone and he may lose some of his appendage(s). On the good side is that it may save his life. I wish my mother had been smart enough to listen to me and she might have lived. Hospital running is the pits. I used to do it with my mom. Driving 45 miles to the hospital to sit with her all day because no one else came to even visit, then run back home so I could be with my kids when they got home from school. Eating takeout or cafeteria food all the time and wanting to cry, but knowing it would serve no purpose in front of your loved one so you do it in the car on the way home. We will continue to pray for him and his recovery. With God, all things are possible!

Lyn: Put a few coins in the nickel Jackpot Party for me. It is my favorite slot machine! :lol: :lol: Drive safe!

Everyone have a super duper rest of the day!

gma22
06-09-2006, 07:27 AM
FRIDAY: Today is Fabulous Friday Follies. Tell us what the worst time was for you getting lost in your car.

Hope you gals have a great weekend!

gma22
06-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Just moving us to the front ladies. I have Thomas's birthday party to go to today and I am looking forward to seeing him. Haven't seen him in a couple weeks.

Everyone have a super weekend!

gma22
06-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Moving us to the front page, gals!

See you tomorrow

Faye:)

gma22
06-12-2006, 08:16 AM
MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our mission this week is summer clothes. Throw caution to the wind and get that gorgeous new swimsuit and get out in the sun and enjoy yourself. Wear shorts, capris, tank tops. Be free and don't worry about how you think you look. Enjoy your summer!

Good morning girls! We had a great time at T's party on Saturday. I kind of felt sorry for my dd. There were at least 6 kids that RSVP'd and said they were coming that didn't show up. The theme was dogs and she had a lot of personalized stuff for them that had to just be tossed. The rest of us had a grand time, though. She had bought little plastic dog dishes at the $ store and put the food in them, his birthday cake was in the shape of a bone. For their gift bags, she found teeny tiny candies that were little bright colored bones and erasers that were dalamations. We bought dog decaled pencils and we made sunvisors with dog ears on them. She also made them dog tags with their names on them that were little plastic bones. Her homemade graham cracker bones were really good, too. The kids loved playing in the pool and I was the only adult that got in and fooled around with them pretty much. Jack finally got in, but it was too cold for him and my dd was way too busy having to keep everything filled etc. Thomas has a ton of pool toys, noodles, and such so everyone had a good time. Thomas was the only kid that can swim without water wings, life vest whatever and saying he can swim is an understatement. He is a little fish in the water and doesn't get rattled when he gets splashed or a wave hits him in the face or something. Two of the girls there were from T's class and have huge crushes on him. They kind of fought over him the whole time. It was pretty funny. One of the moms was telling me her dd, who absolutely adores Thomas, says he is the quietest kid in the class. She made him this mushy card that said I love you in it and everything. Bless his heart, Thomas took it all in stride pretty much. The other little girl was kind of a whiny little thing when she didn't get her way all the time or wanted to sit by Thomas and Elizabeth was already sitting by him, etc. All in all, it was great fun.

Our pool is warming up nicely and I am trying to convince Jack to go over and swim after work each night before dinner. It is sort of like taking a nice bath, you can't help but be relaxed in the pool. I think I could be in the pool all the time and I sure miss it in the winter. If I ever get rich, Jack has promised me he would buy me a house and build an enclosed heated pool so I can swim year round! :D

Everyone have a good day today!

Faye ;)

Amanda Panda
06-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi all,

Well I've had a bit of a blip on the Slimfast plan - basically going out and getting drunk last weekend led to serious munchies, then PMS/TOM led me to go OP for a few days. But I am pleased that it was only 2 and a half days, usually it's 1 week or more! I was straight back on the Slimfast yesterday and back at the gym (hadn't been for a week) so I am hoping that now TOM is over I can start to see some weight loss. If not, I am definately going to see my doctor and get my thyroid and hormone levels checked, because Slimfast is VERY low calorie and I would expect some serious weight loss, at least at the beginning. Watch this space!

FAYE - your mission today is bang on target as far as I am concerned! You will be prould of me because a) I bought 2 skirts (I always wear trousers), b) they are white with pretty flower patterns, c) they are just over the knee and not down to my ankles and d) I have been showing my legs off for the first time in about 10 years! It has been so hot here, it has been lovely to wear light, feminine clothing like the skinny girls do! I had a chat about it with my counseller, saying to her that all I can wear is jeans and t-shirts and I don't feel feminine and she helped me to realise that I CAN wear pretty clothes, it was justmy confidence and self esteem stopping me. These skirts are so pretty and I feel great in them (except when they blow up in the wind and show my chubby knees!) - I am being more adventurous now than ever before and it has really helped my self esteem.We have a little spare cash this week so I am going to buy some capri's and a new swimsuit - I am thinking of buying a tankini, but am not sure, I'll see how it looks first! So I agree with you 100% Faye - just wear what you want to wear and be adventurous sometimes!

Thomas' party sounds great - that's good of your dd to go to all that effort, and a shame about those people letting her down.

LEE - Sorry your little one has broken her leg, poor little thing! Hope the hospital appointment goes well.

SUSAN - That's bad new about the infection, and possible amputation, but I agree with Faye - if it's got to come off then it will be a life saver and will hopefully minimise these hospital trips. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

JULIE - Don't worry hon, I've put on a few pounds too - lets get some off before the end of Summer!

LYNN - Congrats on getting to Onederland - :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: you should feel very proud of yourself! Going out for walks at lunchtime is a great idea, especially in the lovely summer weather.

ANYONE HEARD FROM CARRI?- IT'S BEEN WEEKS!

Love Amanda x

SuGyong
06-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Morning, ladies!

Faye- sounds like your dd had her hands full! Could be a good thing that those other kids didn't come.. LOL! Same thing happened for Deanna's 1st birthday party. 4 kids rsvp'd (just right amount), and 1 showed up, but only for about 5 minutes. She got her party things and left.

Of course, Deanna didn't care, but I got pretty peeved. I hand delivered the other party bags to the other kids. I put in extra chocolate and candy and added lots of very noisy toys. Made me feel better. All the kids loved them. The parents... well not so much. Ha ha!

Amelia's birthday is this weekend. I got her a bounce house with an inflated slide on it. The doc ok'd it so it won't be a problem with her cast. Also, I got her a bike. I know, but she'll be all set for it in only another few weeks. She'd been playing on the next door neighbors' kids' bikes whenever they all get together.

On top of it all, I'm off to a tournament on Saturday and Deanna is getting baptized on Sunday. I'd better rest up while I can. :) It's going to be one crazy weekend!!

-Lee Ann

PS- if you get an indoor pool, I'm moving in with you! LOL! LOVE swimming!

lynard21
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone. I actually did win $20 in Atlantic City - playing the nickel slots. I enjoyed the boardwalk and probably put in a couple of miles. Also had a good time with my dd - we ate pizza, however. And I had fudge on the boardwalk.

Back to reality today...at work...got out and walked for about 50 minutes - I have weigh-in tonight and we are going to have a digital scale for the first time. No more fudging by moving my feet around and leaning in or out:^:

I wish I had a pool - I used to swim a lot - way way back in my youth. We have a town pool but it doesn't open until July 1st.

It's cool here in WNY. Don't think I'll be wearing shorts outside until it warms up later in the week.

Have a great week everyone!

Lyn

QuilterInVA
06-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Hello, ladies, just checking in. The mds changed my husband's dressings Saturday (first time) and were very pleased that the infection seems to be gone and he is actually showing some healing beginning in his foot. On the down side, because of all the antibotics they've given him for the infection C-DEF has taken over and they have had to put him back on that medication which upsets his stomach so much. Once they get this C-DEF out of him, he will be transferred to Sentara Skilled Nursing and probably be there for the several months, depending on if his foot continues to heal or not. So for now, amputation may not be necessary. He's very upset that he can't go home. Said he had a bad dream last night that they took him away from me and I couldn't find him. I try to reassure him that I'll be right there like I am now and it's only until we can get his foot healed, not forever.

Since this has now turned into a long-term thing, I need to figure out how to get a semblance of a life back for myself - went grocery shopping yesterday and got lots of healthy food. Made up some dinners so I can just heat stuff up when I get hom from the hospital, etc. I find it lonely at home.

gma22
06-13-2006, 06:48 AM
TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our Target this week is skin care. Summer can be as bad as winter on our skin so let's be sure and take good care of it with a good cleaning routine for our face and good all over body moisturizer. It is the only skin we have and we need to take care of it.

Amanda: Good for you! New clothes always cheer you up and it is time we take back our power and dress the way we want. I am sure you look adorable!

LeeAnn: Luckily, most of the mother's stayed at T's party so we didn't have too many problems. That's awful about the baby's birthday and no one showing/staying. I mean, I know it is little bitty kids, but why rsvp if you aren't going to come then, right?

Lyn: Glad you had a good time all round in Atlantic City. Hopefully you won money and didn't put MORE than $20 in the machine! :D

Susan: We are glad to hear you dh is recovering and I know it is hard to have him away from you and having to run back and forth everyday. Just remember it is for his health and you want him back good as new. You need to start a great big quilting project to keep you busy when you aren't visiting your husband. Maybe you should take a tape recorder to the nursing facility and just have him talk to you while you are gone and vice versa then switch tapes so you kind of have each other around. I know when Jack was in the Navy and would go overseas, I would crave getting a tape from him just to hear his voice no matter what he talked about.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day today!

Carri: We miss you girl!!!!!

Mirabelly
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone.
Show's over, last day of school for kids today...I've been doing nothing but sleep for 3 days!

Will be getting myself back on track this week. DH isn't feeling so great either with the pounds he's put back on...

Hope everyone has a great day!
Julie

gma22
06-14-2006, 06:09 AM
WEDNESDAY: Today is Wednesday's Woes and if you have something you need to get off your chest, today is the day to do it!

Julie: It was good to see you. Hope we can see more of you!

Everyone else, have a wonderful day today!

SuGyong
06-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Wow, Faye! You're up EARLY today! :)

Julie- Glad you're back.

Susan- Finally some good news. I'm glad he doesn't need an amputation. A quick thought (with no regard to $$ considerations) : My husband and I have cell phones where you can talk unlimited to anyone else (like your DH and he to you) for free. I'm pretty sure that just about every cell phone company has that now... maybe get a couple so he can find you at any time? That way it may ease things between visits...

Last night I dreamt that I had gained so much weight that I couldn't move any part of my body any more. Then I dreamt that I got roped into doing some kind of olympic level cross coutry bicycle race!!

Needless to say, I woke up with a new resolve. (and relief that it was only a dream!) So today I'm going to find better ways to get my exercise in while watching the kids. I think running games should do it... or picking them up more (weight lifting...?) :D

Yesterday I got 2 points in.

-Lee Ann

QuilterInVA
06-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Lee Ann. I have a cell phone and he has a phone in his room so we do speak many times a day. It would be good to come up with some exercise you could do with the kids - I'll bet someone has a video out on it.

I left the hospital a little early yesterday and went to Quilt Guild. Did me good to see my friends and get out of the hospital environment for a few hours.

lynard21
06-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Wednesday Woes...My DD (22 yrs) came home at 1 am, and woke me up crying. She discovered that her idiot boyfriend had cheated on her. She was so hurt - it's really hard to see one of your kids in such pain. I tried to stress all of the positive things about her and that she really needs to take some time to just get to know herself and not go running back to this guy. He's hurt her before....I could strangle him...but I'll keep out of it...I have faith that she will find her way.

Lyn

gma22
06-15-2006, 08:30 AM
THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday so take some time and do something special for you! You deserve it!

Susan: Tell you husband we are all praying for him and glad he is coming around and getting better.

Lyn: Adult kids are more of a nightmare than when they were young. You don't want to interfere in their lives, but you want to shake them and tell them to {{{WAKE UP!}}} I have to say that my dd's first serious relationship ended in the man she is married to now and my son would always come to me when he was dating someone and ask my advice. He had 2 girlfriends that were problems, one he broke up with because she and her whole family were nuts! I mean certifiable. The other girl, he broke up with because he was in love with the woman he is married to now and after having a discussion with yours truly, had an epiphany of sorts. This girl became a mini stalker for awhile then found out they were going to get married and finally let them alone. We love our dil very much, but the first girlfriend our son had we adored. My son told me about a year ago that he is now a heroin addict. She had a mother that was really possessive and she didn't like my son because he was a couple years older than Debbie. I think it is so sad that to get away from her mom she did this. I don't even know if she is still alive. I think that all you can do is be there as a buffer unless she asks for advice and if she asks, don't be afraid to give it! They wouldn't ask if they didn't want help. Jack and I have always stayed out of my kids lives and let them make their own mistakes, etc. We have always had the policy that we don't interfere unless they ask for help and it has worked so far. Hope she can see the light and love herself enough to give the jerk the boot!

Everyone have a great day. I have to get hoppin'. My husband's sister (big :barf: here) called last night (they live in Texas) and said they will be here this evening! :eek: :eek: They have a son in the army that is stationed in North Carolina so they are stopping on their way through. I can't stand this woman and have to put on a nice polite face when she is here for my dh's benefit. She is not only his only sibling, their parents are both dead. He could care less if I tell her to stuff herself, but I try to be polite for his sake. She talks non-stop about herself, cuts people off when they are talking, and resents that I married her big brother. GET OVER IT WOMAN IT HAS BEEN 34 YEARS!!!! :( So, I want to make sure my house is perfect. We are taking them out to dinner and she refused to stay with us (Thank you Jesus!) so maybe we will just have them meet us at a restaurant for a couple hours and that will be the end of it. They are leaving first thing in the morning for North Carolina and Jack has to work and leaves at 6 AM so they wouldn't be hanging out here with me that is for sure!

QuilterInVA
06-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Faye, seems you have more than your share of crappy relatives - maybe you got mine since we don't have any family.

Rain is finally over - had some minor flooding in the streets but nothing major.

I think once kids are grown, we need to let them test themselves and only give advice when asked for or to prevent a stay in prison. They'll make mistakes, but that's sometimes how we learn the best. Just be there to offer advice, comfort and aid when they ask.

gma22
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
The dog mystery is solved! I went out to the pool this morning to do my workout and down the walk in the courtyard here lay the neighbor that told my other neighbor we stole her dog. The woman who called the police on us about stealing her dog was standing talking to her. I thought she had fallen so I went rushing over. She was laying in a sun hat and very short silk komono, no undergarments, legs spread out, breasts exposed, talking nutty like a jaybird. The woman said she had called her x-husband to come get her. Come to find out, she locked herself and her dog out of the house so her friend couldn't get her back inside. I guess she has been refusing to take her medicine and is mentally ill. I guess the day the dog incident happened she said she saw us steal this woman's dog! I tried my darndest to get her to get up and get in the ladies SUV, but she wouldn't do it. I felt bad to leave her even with her friend there. I mean, I am not happy about the dog situation and the cops and all, but I would be a pretty nasty person not to want to help out someway. She told me I looked like a beached whale a couple times. The other lady said she was not right in the head and to pay no attention to her. I thought to myself, hey I am not sitting on the ground showing my privates to the world so I would rather be a beached whale! :D Her ex finally showed up while I was swimming and got her into the house. If she has problems, I wonder if it is good for her to be alone like that, you know? I'd hate for her to wander away sometime or out into the traffic, which is a heavily traveled street in front of our condo complex. She was totally incoherent, except she DID know who I was because she called me by name.

Faye:)

lynard21
06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi everyone. Thanks for the advice about not giving advice unless asked. I am trying to do just that. She seems to be handling things ok so far.

Faye, Wow...you do have your hands full. hope the Sister-in-law visit goes as well as can be expected. As for your neighbor, I appreciate the compassion you seem to have for her situation. So many people are quick to judge others without understanding that they may behave the way they do because of an underlying illness. Mental illness is very difficult to deal with especially if the mentally ill person is not taking the medication that can help them.

It's a wonderful perfect June day here in upstate NY. I have my golf league tonite "The Hazards" and am looking forward to walking in the sunshine.

Lyn

SuGyong
06-15-2006, 04:03 PM
So I've been researching gluten free recipes for Amelia's Birthday party tomorrow afternoon/evening. One of her playmates has ... celiac's (?) disease and can't eat it. The recipes I've found are fantastic and simple and fun, but when I called to run them by her mom, Lori said that her allergy is so severe that she needs all her own pots and pans, too!

Wow! Now that's rough. So we did some brainstorming and together we've decided that Grace will have her own stuff brought with her, but that I'll make similar stuff for all the kids so that she doesn't get that "I feel different" feeling or the other kids don't suddenly decide that they want what she has and eat all her food when she's not looking. ;)

What else. My mother has decided to jump back into our lives again with both feet. My sister has been very *helpful*. Mom's got our phone number and knows where the baby is to be baptized on Sunday. She's MAILING us Amelia's birthday present (so somewhere she got our mailing address!!)....

I can't make up my mind if this is a scary thing or a good thing......

So is it me, or do we all suddenly have family weirdness all at the same time? Any chance we can get them together and then sneak out the back door? They can be weird to eachother instead... whadddya say? Any takers? Ha ha!! :D

-Lee Ann

Mirabelly
06-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Faye, you have got the--hands down--WEIRDEST LIFE!!!!!!! :dizzy: :dizzy: :lol3:

Hey, look! There's a belly dance smiley :belly: :belly: :belly:

K' really gotta go...I have to proof a 96 page magazine tonight....

TTFN,
Julie

gma22
06-16-2006, 08:32 AM
FRIDAY: Today is Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. How many lbs did we lose the last two weeks, gals?

Julie: Yeah, but ya still love me, right????? :D

LeeAnn: Nice of you to consider the little girl! My grandson has always had trouble at parties and such because he doesn't drink soft drinks. He usually ends up drinking water when he goes to parties because they usually are giving kids soft drinks. Believe me, my dd will be glad he never drinks them when he becomes older. Nothing worse than being addicted to the darn things like so many of us fatties are, right?

Lyn: I guess I am a glutten for punishment. I keep thinking about the neighbor down the street and if she is ok. I will not intrude on her, but I plan on keeping an eye out when I am out at the pool etc because she is usually out walking her dog about that time. As for compassion, I am way overloaded with it and could stand to have a little less. I am one of those people that would adopt every little orphaned kid in the newspaper, all the pets who have been mistreated or abandoned, cry at every darn tv show or movie that has any sadness or happiness in it and more than once have been tempted to stop and try to give a ride to strangers I see walking with groceries or standing at a bus stop loaded down. In this day and age, you have to be so careful, but I am what I am I guess. Jack tries to get me to toughen up a little partly because I have nightmares or dreams about people when things like yesterday happen (like worrying about this lady and if she is alright) and then I am upset for 2 days until it all kind of goes out of my mind.

The visit with the sil went remarkably well. She came into the condo and came right to me and hugged me as did her husband. We haven't seen her in 4 years and her husband in 16! I was so bowled over I almost fell back into the chair! She sat and talked about herself the whole time, but it was all pleasant enough. I had Jack go get BBQ from the place across the street and I made some pies and ice cream so we all just ate and sat and talked. My dd, sil and grandson came over too and Thomas and I played games the whole time. I think it went off better than going to a restaurant. I have to tip my hat to her. She was really very nice.

Well, I need to get going. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I have the UGH, commissary to face sometime this weekend. If I tie a rope around my waist, will one of you pull me out of the store if it gets too bad? I can be like one of the Jewish high priests who would tie bells on themselves and a rope around their waist before the would go into the Holy of Holys. Since it was the place where God dwelt, if they had not confessed all their sins before entering, they would die in there. So, the bells would keep the other Israelites knowing he was still alive and if they stopped they would pull him out by the rope as no one by the High priest could enter the Holy of Holys. You could yank on the rope if the bells stop ringing....:^:

lynard21
06-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Faye,

What's the commissary? Sounds spooky.

Another picture perfect day here. Tomorrow supposed to hit 90 - unusual so early in the summer.

I'll let you know if I lost over these 2 weeks on Monday. I'm trying hard this week.

Lyn

gma22
06-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Lyn: :o Oops, I forgot you haven't been here long enough to hear me gripe about the commissary. My husband is retired Navy and the commissary is the military grocery store. The one we go to has a huge amount of retired military that frequent it and the old men that ride around in their scooters are so rude! I hate to go! :^:

gma22
06-17-2006, 07:52 AM
DO NOT POST HERE BUT JOIN US AT # 133