Support Groups - Gettin' Together--June 2006

View Full Version : Gettin' Together--June 2006

Gardenwife
06-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I can't believe it -- June is here! It's Howie's birthday, so I need to see if a thread's started for him over in the 100 pound club forum. He's reached his permanent age of 39. LOL

We have a steady, gentle rain falling. We really need it, so I won't begrudge the showers. Nicest thing is, the temps have fallen again and the air is fresh. Our neighbor's mock orange bushes are in full bloom, so between them, our climbing rose, and the deep purple petunias in our front window boxes, the air is sweet.

Jen415
06-02-2006, 02:42 PM
What gorgeous pics!! So glad to hear you are getting rain. We SO need it here in Florida! The brush fires are getting way out of control. Pretty soon though, with it being hurricane season, I'll be begging for the rain to STOP!

We had a medical emergency this week--check out my blog for more details.

Gonna go over to the 100 lb club thread and say Happy Birthday to Howie!

jillybean720
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Whew, bout time I made my way to the June thread, eh? We've been doing these Gettin' Together threads for over a year now--started in March 2005. Seems kinda sparse lately...I hope we can keep em up! I really love having this close-knit group. I feel like I can share anything here (sometimes too much, I'm sure ;) ).

Anyway...I had SUCH a craving for a big, greasy burger today. I even went and checked to see if there was a Hardee's nearby so we could get some Thickburgers (luckily, there isn't one within a 30-mile radius). Then I went to the Burger King site and checked their burgers and onion rings and stuff. I told Jeff that's what I wanted--we were all set to go to BK. Then I stopped. I told him we would just go grocery shopping instead. I bought some turkey burgers, some light wheat buns, and a package of reduced-fat bacon. I made FABULOUS burgers right here at home with bacon (25 cals a slice), reduced-fat cheese, red onion, lettuce, low-fat mayo, and just a smidge of honey mustard. Man, they were perfect, and without all the grease and trans-fats I would have had at a fast-food place. I did buy some commercial potato salad and macaroni salad at the deli, which are likely horrible, but we actually threw out the macaroni salad because it was quite "tangy" (too much vinegar maybe?). I'm just proud of my choice to eat at home instead of fast food :)

I weighed in at TOPS on Thursday night with a 1-pound weight loss after not having been there in a month. Considering all the crap I've been eating lately and haven really just gotten back on track THIS week, I was quite pleased with that result. Now to just keep up the good choices...

Gardenwife
06-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Hey, it's GREAT you went and got stuff for healthy burgers at home! I'm so proud of ya, Jill!

Jen, I'm so glad Alan is okay! I worry about both Howie and me when it comes to heart things; we're both chock full of family history and even though we're taking so much better care of ourselves than we used to, it's still scary.

Do we need to send a posse out for our missing ladies?

I shopped for some produce at Giant Eagle tonight. They have the most beautiful produce there. I got lots of good fruits and veggies, along with baby spinach and romain hearts. They're expensive, but gosh is it fine. We normally comparison shop (well, I do), but it was all so lovely I got carried away and bought it all there. We have 30-cents off per gallon at their Get-Go gas station thanks to my spending $52 tonight. LOL

Gardenwife
06-04-2006, 11:50 AM
You might enjoy this -- had a cool storm move through last night and I got to see a double rainbow (http://www.gardenwife.com/mt/archives/2006/06/double_rainbow.php). :)

jillybean720
06-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Kimberley, your pictures are always so perfect! We saw a double rainbow a few weeks ago right after a storm, but it was just the opposite--the fainter of the two was beneath the brighter one.

I'm a big dork--I consider rainbows to be good luck. The reason is that when I was leaving Jeff's house after the very first time I met him, I saw a rainbow on my way back to Va Beach from his place in MD. Then, when I was leaving his house after the first time we had had sex together, I saw one again :o Coincidences, I'm sure, but I like to think of them as a good sign in our relationship because, yeah, I'm dork like that :p

Jen415
06-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Good morning fellow dorks! LOL I like rainbows too...

Jill I am SO PROUD of you for making good choices regarding fast food!! Success is just a series of good choices with a few wrong ones here and there.

I wrote Marge a while back saying we missed her here. She said due to some personal stuff she's taking a break from posting on this thread. I do see she's still around though, because she posts other places. I don't know--did we offend her in some way?? I can't figure it out....

I saw in someone's sig here once upon a time a quote something like this: "Just because one egg in a dozen is broken doesn't mean you should break the other eleven." How profound is that!!

I'm headed to the gyn this afternoon for my colposcopy. What fun--NOT!

jillybean720
06-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the support, guys! I have been sooooo wanting fast food this week--not sure what's up with that. I have been staying strong in that regard--I take a different route home from work just to avoid passing McD's--but I have still been eating too much, even if it is healthier foods. It's that darn time when I'm home alone still. Yesterday, I went for a walk when I got home, but I walked to Subway and came back with a 12" sub and 3 cookies :p It could have been worse...if I had walked in the opposite direction I would have hit a McD's and a Dairy Queen :devil: But like I said, still too much. I binged a bit in addition to the Subway (3 slices of cheese, about 3 servings of SunChips, a fudgesicle, and some pineapple chunks), and I had the last 2 pieces of pizza for breakfast, so I still had well over 3500 calories yesterday. Man, they add up fast :(

But, onward and downward...today will be a better day :cool:

I had written a message to Marge a while ago as well. I asked her if I or anyone here had said or done anything to offend or upset her, and she said no, that it was just her own personal issues. I do hope she gets things sorted out and returns to the group--after all, she started the group! But she deserves whatever time or space she needs to work things out...I just hope she knows she's missed :^:

I've seen Aimee around a bit, too, and she seems to be doing well. Hopefully, she'll follow us to the new month's thread soon!

This weekend, Jeff and I will be staying with his cousins in MD. We're going up on Friday and coming home Sunday--it's gonna be a houseful! In addition to the 5 people who live there (Jeff's cousin, her husband, and their 3 sons), it will be me, Jeff, Jeff's mother, Jeff's grandmother, and his aunt and uncle from Georgia all staying there for the weekend. The oldest of the 3 sons is graduating high school, so that's the occasion--ceremony on Saturday and party on Sunday. Our job will be to sort of babysit the relatives who can't go to the ceremony ;) I'm glad I can help out. I really like Jeff's cousin (Lisa, the one whose house it is we'll be staying in). She's the one who suggested I look at CSC's website for a job when I still lived in Va Beach, and that was the first job I had up here! She's slightly overweight, so we exchange diet tips and recipes and whatnot, and she's just very easy to talk to. Should be a good weekend, though not particularly restful :p

Jen415
06-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Good morning ladies!

The colposcopy went well yesterday. I'll know the results of the biopsy in a week. The nurse practitioner who did the procedure said from outward appearances, things look good, but the biopsy will be a little more conclusive. I feel okay today, just a little crampy.

I was stressing so much yesterday, I thought I was going to have a binge. Thanks to a lot of prayer and support I was able to avoid the binge!

Jill, it takes so much practice to do the right thing! The more you do it the easier it will be. Pretty soon you'll be able to walk/drive by those temptations with no problem at all!!

Gardenwife
06-06-2006, 11:04 AM
*Yawn* We went to sleep around 11:00pm and got up at 8:30am...But now I'm running out of steam. Pthbttttth....

GREAT for you avoiding the binge, Jen. I know how easy it is to just let appetites rule you when the stresses come.

I meant to post, Saturday I was up again to 215. I keep losing and gaining the same three pounds. It's a little discouraging, but I have not been eating right consistently and have not been drinking my water like I should. We did well yesterday. It sure is easier when Howie is my conscience for a day. LOL

Jen415
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
I've been through that too Kimberley...it is soooo frustrating!!

Gardenwife
06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Okay, day's done and we're back home. We drove to the town we used to live in and walked around there. It's this gorgeous little slice of New England right in central Ohio. We really enjoyed walking around and looking at all the gardens, getting ideas for ours.

We stopped for lunch at Subway then at a local ice cream place for dessert. They carry Dole Whip, a non-dairy soft-serve dessert with 20 calories per ounce, and it's goood stuff! We had the orange-vanilla swirl, which tastes like a Dreamsicle (or Creamsicle, depending on where you grew up). It was a big old cone, though...probably 320 calories. LOL

I'm lying in my hammock as I type this, wishing I had a pillow, but otherwise comfy and happy. The poor hammock's falling apart, but until it dumps my sorry butt on the ground, I'll use it. ;)

Gardenwife
06-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Boy, that didn't take long...I heard and felt one rope twang and break. Then a little bit later, one up behind my head did the same. My butt was mere millimeters above the hammock frame. It was rather hard to climb back out, especially with my knees unstable and while carrying a notebook computer and a paperback (hey, I was prepared for an evening of vegging!).

Jen415
06-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I had to laugh with the mental image I had of you in the breaking down hammock! :) Hammocks sound nice, but at 300 lbs, not sure if it is a good idea or not....oh well, someday soon.

Well, it looks like we are running into some issues with the land where we want to build the house. Long story short--our housebuilding will probably be delayed for a couple of years. So....we are looking for an interim house--nothing too big or that needs alot of work, but something we can turn over in a couple of years.

We have a friend who is a realtor that is helping us with this. We were able to see a couple of houses on short notice because they were vacant. One was definitely by far better than the other! Right now it is a buyer's market in Florida, so we don't feel like we have to rush into anything, thank goodness! We can take our time and look for the best bargain.

jillybean720
06-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Sorry, I had to laugh with the mental image I had of you in the breaking down hammock! :)
hehe...me too :p It just seemed too perfect, the mention of it breaking and then, lo and behold, it breaking :dizzy:

Yesterday was a FABULOUSLY on-plan day for me. I ended up with a bit under 1300 calories for the day :carrot: I've got a plan in place for today as well, so now it's just sticking to it, which seems to be the hardest part :devil:

Jen--I know house-hunting can be frustrating, but I cannot WAIT to be able to do it! Of course, with prices as they are around here (talking in the ballpark of $300k for a 2-bedroom condo in a high-rise, 1000 square feet if you're lucky), I likely won't be buying a place till we move out of the area. They say the rapid increase in property value/home prices is over, but that prices still won't go down--just kinda plateau around where they are. Yuck. I still look at places online, though, but even if I find a place that costs about the same in mortgage payments as our current rent payments, you have to add to that another $300 or so in monthly condo association fees. Major bummer.

Busy day today--we have a meeting for work at a movie theater from 3:30-5:30 this afternoon, so I'll be home a little late. It's kinda cool that they rented a theater for it, but it sucks that I'll then have to drive home in the heat of rush hour rather than 3pm like usual. At least it will cut down on my home alone time before Jeff gets home, which means less opportunity for overeating :cool:

Jen415
06-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Good morning ladies!

Nothing new really happening here....My weight this morning was still 300--I'm teetering on the edge of Two-ville! I hope to be over the hump in the next day or two. I'm pushing the water to get there. It's so frustrating!!

jillybean720
06-08-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm sure all that water will flush out that extra fraction of a pound for you in no time, Jen! The water's certainly been helping me this week--according to my home scale this morning, I should be down about 2 pounds at my TOPS meeting tonight (my scale said 2, but at TOPS, it could be slightly different since their scale measures to the tenth of a pound, but they round to the next quarter up--my home scale only measures to the half). But yeah, I've definitely been drinking lots of water (over 4 liters yesterday, not including the diet soda I had with dinner). I also kept my calories pretty low again yesterday. This weekend will be a bit of a test, as we're going to be with Jeff's family for his cousin's high school graduation, so that means family picnic food. I usually do pretty well, though--I think it's a mental thing that I don't want people to see me eating too much because they'll just think, "Oh, surprise, surprise, the fat girl is scarfing all the food," and I don't ever want people to think that of me.

Gardenwife
06-08-2006, 08:45 AM
** Nudge **

There, that should do it, Jen: I nudged you to two-ville! :dizzy:

Howie had a big scare yesterday. HR called him at home and asked him to come into work so they could talk. He's on vacation, so he knew it couldn't be good. The upshot is, he is going to be laid off. The good news is, his last scheduled day is May 31, 2007. Thank God, he has nearly a year to find something else.

They offered to transfer him to DePere, Wisconsin at that time, but we really don't want to move. We can't fathom the hassle of moving and selling our house, all for a company which has round after round of layoff's. Besides that we love it here!

I was about 100-150 over my calories yesterday, but a lot of it was veggies since I had a Subway tuna salad for lunch and a grilled chicken salad for dinner.

Jill, is there something you can do in that interim between when you get home and when Jeff does? How long a period of time is it? Maybe you need to have a set plan for a snack you allow yourself so it's planned. Or maybe you could take that time to take a walk. You might get to know your neighbors if you did the latter, and make some friends right where you live. How can we help you avoid temptation in those hours?

I can't believe the price of real estate in other parts of the country. You can buy a nice house in our area for $300K. Wow. I would not want to live in a highrise condo, personally; to me, it would be just like living in an apartment, save the possibility of making some money on its eventual sale.

Jen415
06-08-2006, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=Gardenwife
Jill, is there something you can do in that interim between when you get home and when Jeff does? How long a period of time is it? Maybe you need to have a set plan for a snack you allow yourself so it's planned. Or maybe you could take that time to take a walk. You might get to know your neighbors if you did the latter, and make some friends right where you live. How can we help you avoid temptation in those hours?

[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing, Kimberley! Jill, I don't know if you can afford a gym or not, but that would be a good time to do it. Or at least do some kind of exercise. Is there a community center close by where you can work out? or does your apartment complex have a place to work out?

jillybean720
06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Oh, I definitely have the option to exercise. I don't have a gym membership anymore, but I have plenty of videos, a stability ball, and sidewalks outside. I'm just a lazy bum--no one's fault but my own. When I get home from work, I just feel like doing NOTHING...I guess that's the down side of the faster-paced job. I eat strictly our of boredom or "because it's there." I do plan snacks to have--sometimes yogurt or a fudgesicle or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich--but I always just end up eating pretty much everything I can find (slices of cheese, fruit, whole-wheat pitas...). It's not bad stuff, just too much stuff.

As much as I would love to think I could meet people around here just by walking, the majority of my neighbors don't speak fluent English (some Spanish, many Middle Eastern/Indian), and those that do are much more likely to stare at the ground or a tree or whatever to avoid eye contact. So is life near the city...

But yeah, I've mentioned myself before that after work would be an ideal time to exercise. I just have zero motivation/energy (I often end up napping) at that time of day. I know I need to just suck it up and do it. I know next month, we are starting an exercise challenge at TOPS, so that will help with the motivation (since I'm pretty competitive ;) ). Until then, I just need to be strong and get of my big lazy butt :dizzy:

Jen415
06-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I know for me, exercise gives me lots of extra energy, so I don't WANT to nap when I get home! The TOPS challenge sounds great! Good luck with that!

My doctor called with the results of my biopsy--everything looks normal!! :cp: I'll go back in October for another follow-up.

Gardenwife
06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Jen, I'm so glad to hear your good news! That was a good turnaround time on labs, too.

We bought more marked-down broken bags of mulch today and that's what I spent the late afternoon and evening doing...Mulching! I used our cart and a shovel this time, though, no crawling around on the ground.

We picked up a new hammock at Target, but both Howie and I are uncomfortable on it. It's a sling hammock of a tightly-woven polyester and it just doesn't have the give of a rope hammock. So, I've ordered a Pawleys Island DuraCord rope hammock for $10 less than we paid at Target for the sling hammock. I can't WAIT until it gets here!

SwimGirl
06-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Hi gals! Just wanted to let you all know I'm still alive! Barely posting these days though, between work, exercise and summer events I barely have any time for anything else. It's all good though :)

Jen I'm so happy for you, you are SO close to being under 300! Keep up the great work :)

I'm gonna go get into bed, I am hoping that a fullnights sleep will make this silly flu I've got go away.. I tell yah, stress really wrecks your immune system! I hope to catch up soon...

-Aimee

jillybean720
06-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Jen--I agree with Kimberley...very quick turnaround on those test reults...keep that lab! Glad the results were normal!

Aimee--glad to see you stop by! I know it's a busy time of year for summer activities...this weekend, we have to drive all over the place for Jeff's cousin's high school graduation. Hope you get over your flu soon!

Kimberley--mmm...hammock sounds nice. I know what you mean, though--the rope ones really are more comfortable the way they kinda conform to your body. We had one at the beach house when we went down for my sister's wedding a couple months ago, and when I went on a cruise in high school, we stopped on a private island owned by the cruise line where they has just hundreds of hammocks tied to the palm trees...it was AMAZING.

As for me, I was actually down 3.5 pounds last night according to the TOPS scale. I checked my weight book--the first time I hit this same weight on my way down from over 300 was last July. Kinda sad that in a year, I'm in about the same place :dizzy: But at least it's better than having gained, and it's still less than when I started.

Oh, did I tell you guys my sister is now expecting? She called me on Memorial Day to tell me she was pregnant. They leave for their honeymoon (week-long Alaskan cruise) today. I hope she doesn't get morning sickness during their trip. I love her to death, and I can't WAIT to have another neice or nephew to spoil, but she's kinda high-maintenance, so I'm not really looking forward to the next 9 months...ssshh, don't tell ;) She's already called me asking all kinds of questions and going into waaaay too much detail about things I either don't know or don't care about. Even my mother said it's going to be a loooong 9 months :p But, eye on the prize...I'm very excited to be an auntie soon :D

Jen415
06-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Congratulations, Auntie Jill! That is great news! And great job on the weight loss! :) I think you'll be seeing your numbers keep going down!

Aimee: Glad to see ya girl! Be sure to stay in touch!

Kimberley: I've not really ever laid in a hammock--have always been afraid I would break one!

I am so sleepy this morning! We got to bed too late last night after grocery shopping--$155!! Hopefully it will last a couple of weeks. We got lots of meat (there were some great sales on!). I'm planning to do an old fashioned Sunday dinner with a roast, potatoes, veggies, and dinner rolls. Fun stuff!

Gardenwife
06-09-2006, 09:37 AM
We have a few high-maintenance friends and relatives; your secret's safe with us. ;) Isn't it funny how something as simple as a hammock evokes such good feelings and cheap entertainment? They're just magical how they cradle us and melt worries away.

I'm down 2 pounds this week! A lot of it water weight I shed while working outside yesterday, I'm sure. But I did eat better this week, finally. Howie really helps me keep on track; when he's back at it, I tend to be, too.

We again discussed how we need to count the calories even on our treat days and just allow ourselves 600 extra. We've had treat days that end up with us consuming 5000 calories, and that's just insane! We need to keep telling ourselves, "we are not those people anymore" and live that truth.

Gardenwife
06-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Jen -- our hammock has a 450lb weight limit and the stand has, I think, a 600lb limit. They're made to hold two people, so you'd be fine! When you get a house, make sure you get a hammock. :)

Jen415
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Okay, so I'm gonnaask ya, Kimberley....since those things are made for two, have you and your hubby, um....been intimate in one?:o

Gardenwife
06-10-2006, 01:38 PM
LOL! You know, I think a hammock may be the one thing we have christened at our house.

Jen415
06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi gals! So no one has posted here in three days?? At least I've got an excuse!

I've been at home for the past two days with a severe throat infection (pharnyxitis). It feels like a golfball is in my throat! I'm on some heavy anti-biotics and steroids for the swelling in my throat.

One of the "upsides" of my illness is I finally broke 300!

Gardenwife
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Sorry you're sick, Jen...But CONGRATS on your breaking 300!! :carrot:

Jen415
06-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks Kimberley! And it keeps going down! I'm starting to add more food, so I hope I don't gain it all back!

I'm feeling a little better each day. I still have to take it easy, so I just walked on the treadmill at the gym at a nice pace--enough to feel it, but not enough to do any harm. I'm afraid if I don't get back to the gym NOW it will be even harder to get back later.

Gardenwife
06-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm struggling today, just having a hard time emotionally because Howie's having a rough time himself. He's still waiting to hear (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86880) whether he's being hired at another firm.

My dreams are stressful again - darned college dreams where I can't find the classroom, or my schedule, or any number of things -- and I know I've been clenching and grinding my teeth because my jaw is really sore during the day now. Good thing I have that custom splint to wear at night, or my teeth would be ground down to little nubs in a week! LOL

I've gone straight for the comfort foods a few times this week, too. Aaaaaargh.

Gardenwife
06-18-2006, 09:34 AM
We're still in limbo about Howie's moving to the other company, but I have good news. I have a job interview Monday at 2:00pm! It's at a local mortgage company for a post closing person (go over all the paperwork and make sure it's all in order, all signatures are there, addresses and names match, etc.); I wasn't even aware of the opening, but a friend who works there turned in my resume and gave her recommendation. Someone from the department called Saturday to tell me about it and ask me if I'd like to interview for it. Would I? It pays more than I expected to make and it's within walking distance if I'm diligent enough to walk there. LOL

jillybean720
06-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Kimberley, that sounds like an awesome opportunity! And I always have so much more confidence when they basically contact you first, like in this situation when you didn't even know about the available position--it shows they're really interested! And close enough to walk is always an added bonus.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Jen, even if not 100% quite yet--anything is an improvement when you've been sick. And woohoo for the 200s!!!

I missed my TOPS meeting this week because I ended up working till about 7 that night--busy busy week at work, but it should slow down soon, as our major proposal we've been working on is due on Tuesday at noon. Then things should setlle back into a more normal routine for a while for me--or at least until the next big proposal hits :p

Gardenwife
06-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey, Jill - good to see you. :)

My blouses and skirts are both ironed, ready for my interview(s) this week. Wish I'd gotten my hair cut over the weekend now, grrr! Ah well, out comes the round brush and lots of mousse.

TOM started today, which would help explain my insane cravings for carbs this last week and my emotional ups and downs (aside from Howie's interview stuff and my own job search!).

Howie's friend golfed with the other business' hiring manager Saturday. The guy doesn't know Howie is a mutual friend. He mentioned Howie by name, saying his skills would transfer fine to the new software. Thing is, the company's deciding whether or not to keep their direct mail department. If they do, it sounds like Howie is someone they like. It may be 3-4 weeks before they decide what direction they're taking. Aaaargh.

He realizes he really does have good co-workers at his job, it's just the company as a whole that stinks. He's fine with sticking it out until May, but if he gets a good offer somewhere, he's outta there.

Jen415
06-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi ladies!

I'm feeling 100% again! Had a fun weekend--had a pool party at a friend's that lasted until about 2 am! I was really dragging the next day--I think it was too soon after being sick to not get rest. I paid for it all day Saturday. Spent Sunday doing domestic things. I made Sunday dinner again--roast, mashed cauliflower ( a great low carb alternative to the real thing!), crescent rolls, and corn. I totally forgot about a green veg for the meal--DOH!!

Anyway, it's back on my mostly liquid plan again. I've had to eat more solid things the past week due to taking the antibiotics. My last day for the meds is Wednesday, thank goodness!

Kimberley: that job sounds GREAT! Not too high stress, and close enough to walk!!

Jill: Here's to gettinng past deadlines!!

Gardenwife
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
The interview went exceptionally well. Call-backs for second interviews will happen tomorrow and I am confident I'll get one. I have a feeling they'll offer me the job. I'm already mourning my freedom, but it will be good to have the income. Not only that, but truth be told, I will probably benefit from having a schedule.

Jen415
06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I know I benefit from having a schedule! Five days a week, I can pretty much control my food and such during the day. I think it will be helpful for you.

Gardenwife
06-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Well, I'm still looking -- I didn't get a second interview. I'm actually pretty relieved, because the job description didn't appeal to me at all. I couldn't imagine sitting there doing paperwork like that day in and day out. Since my resume emphasizes my creativity and people skills, maybe they couldn't imagine me doing that for very long, either.

jillybean720
06-22-2006, 05:33 AM
No offense, Kimberley, but I'm glad you didn't get the job...you're way too creative to be a paper pusher ;)

As for me, I quit my part-time job editing secret shopper reports from home. A new guy took over the accounts, and he is kind of a jerk and sooo not worth dealing with for a little side job. I felt really good, though, because when I submitted my letter (via email), I CCed the head of the department, and she called me asking if there was any way I'd still be willing to help, and when I explained that I'd prefer not to work with this guy, she actually told me she understood and then said I could use her as a reference anytime because I was always so detailed and professional and responsive...really made me feel good that she recognized I was a good worker even though I'd never met the woman in person--I bet she didn't know I was only 23 years old :cool:

As for food, I've been eating crap lately (an entire medium stuffed-crust pizza throughout the weekend, Olive Garden on Sunday, McDonald's on Monday, an entire bag of peanut butter M&Ms yesterday...), yet my scale says I'm down 2 pounds since Monday and only up 1 pound since my last TOPS meeting (2 weeks ago). Who knows how these things work...:dizzy:

Jen415
06-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Our bodies are weird arent they Jill? Sometimes, when you work hard, you get no results, but when you eat crap, the scale drops!

I'm now officially off all my prescription meds! Now I can get my body back to normal. The yeast infection I develeloped as a result of the antibiotics is clearing up too. I've got no excuse for being off plan now, so I better stick to it! :)

Kimberley, good luck with the search. I know you'll find something you are more suited for!

Gardenwife
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks, gals. I feel so subdued today, just really tired. All the anticipation and mental workings this week culminated yesterday and now I'm left feeling drained and depressed. Howie's been working his tail off on an order at work, several 12-hour days in the last week. He's tired and frustrated. Blah.

Jen415
06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Hello ladies--it's a new week! And only GOOD things will happen for us! We'll all be binge-free and on plan! And we will get all those other rough spots in our lives smoothed out!

(If I sound like I am trying to convince myself--well, that's because it is true! :) )

jillybean720
06-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Hola, chicas! I'm still hovering about the same weight-wise, so at least I'm not up at all. Life's getting a little hectic--work is picking up again, and my sister has asked me to write a proposal letter for her to ask her company if she can work from home.

Tomorrow, I have a job interview. Yup, I've been at my current job for exactly 3 months tomorrow, but I kept my resume up on Monster (as anonymous, so no one could see my name or direct contact info). I had my minimum acceptable salary listed as $10k more than I make now, and I've been getting some responses. I have ignored most of them, but this one is closer to home and would be working with proposals (which I do now) but with added responsibility, so it would really be a good career move, I think. I never thought I would make a career of tech writing, but I really enjoy the writing/marketing combo of proposals, so might as well make what I can of it! I'm feeling bad about possibly leaving a job so soon, but I could really use both the money and the experience. I need to tell my conscience to hush up and remind myself that I am worth it ;) Normally, I would worry that having a job on my resume for only 3-4 months would look bad in the future, but I think it's explainable and actually not all too uncommon around this area, since lots of people are involved in contract work, which can be quite flighty and short-term. Anyway, I'm going to the interview tomorrow after a successful phone interview earlier today, so we'll see...

Gardenwife
06-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I agree with you: No binges this week!

Jill, the lady who interviewed me at the mortgage company said that The Wall Street Journal reports that people work for an average of 8-10 employers throughout their career, so I wouldn't sweat this change looking bad. She also noted how my resume starts with my core skills and then just briefly lists my work history: employer, job title and dates worked. She said the core skills are much more important to employers, and if you can catch their eye with that, they'll keep reading.

I went to Meijer and did a BIG grocery shop. There is oodles of produce in our fridge, all prepped. That took hours, but it was a lot of veggies and fruit. We've got a chicken roasting in the charcoal grill and fresh veggies roasting in the oven. Kinda late to be eating, but Howie really wanted that chicken tonight and it takes a while.

Tomorrow I get to have my hair colored for free! It'll probably be some highlights and lowlights. A friend is a stylist, and he needs models at his job. He is just out of cosmetology school, hired at a major salon in Columbus, so while he's apprenticing, he works on his group of models, learning the techniques his salon prefers to use.

I figure, I keep my hair really short, anyway, so anything I don't like will be cut out the next time I get a haircut (I only go about 4-5 weeks between them).

Jen415
06-27-2006, 10:57 AM
It's only hair, Kimberley!! :) I thnk you will enjoy getting it done, especially for FREE! Be sure to put pics up!

Jill, I'd do the same thing if I were you....you never know--you could be destined to go there!

Gardenwife
07-03-2006, 03:58 PM
July thread's up!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88387